XBOX PRICE DROP!

Raider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just got the new Wal-Mart ads in, the XBOX is now going to be on Rollback to the new price of $149.92 starting in April.

added by cheapyd
xboxpricedrop.jpg

does it come w/ free games or just normal because they have some bundle going on at wal-mart with the xbox w/ like 2 games and Xbox live for 180$ so think about it if the xbox is alone then the deal up rite now is better. unless the xbox comes with games and stuff too. but still thats awesome then PS2 will prolly go down.

I will believe it when i see it. As how does he already have the APRIL ads????? Sorry have to say it a FAKE deal. :?:

it would be a good time for them to do it, though, since it is likely PS2 will drop around E3 in May. M$ could one-up Sony, and see if it helps thier sales. Maybe do a Halo pack-in at the $150 price point. Xboxes would fly off the shelves.

My local news channel had a segment on the
x-box price drop and stated that sony will eventually follow suit this spring.

they say the xbox will drop its price down to $125 by e3 and perhaps $99 by the summer so im probally gonna wait on that.

Don't count your chickens just yet. Remember the whole "PS2 will be $99 next month's Target ad says so" thing?

This MAY be true, but don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

well im not in a big rush to get a xbox fast anyway but considering that ms is pushing xbox 2 to next year, a price drop like that isnt out of the question. especially since the last price drop happened around last e3 (or was it the e3 2 years ago).

I wonder if gamecube will drop. I wish the gba would drop, I would like to get one for a good price.

Thats not soo great. 150 for just an xbox? Best Buy has one for 200 which include thst tetris and star wars combo and gta double pack.

just fyi
ads are usually made 3-4 weeks ahead of time
which makes it very possible that he really has the ad already (only a
few weeks from april)

But also due to making them far ahead of time they are sometimes incorrect
most recent would be bestbuy ad advertising the new ps2 model when it didnt actually come out till 2months later

well see.

but also this guy only has 3 posts

so he should scan in the ad or somthing.

Shoot...and I was gonna buy one today..guess I'll wait. Hopefully wal-mart will still have that three games with 2 months xbox live free bundle they've had for the past month.

Well for those that don't believe me I posted a picture of it from my camera phone, I can't link to the image directly but it can be seen at http://raider82.textamerica.com/ it's the first image. I visit here often, just don't post much, but thought I'd give the heads up for anyone that wanted to buy a XBOX soon.

I wouldn't necessarily site this as Microsoft doing a universal drop. My local wal-mart often sells consoles for $20-30 cheaper than MSRP. I could have bought the Sega GT/JSRF bundle for $170 when it first came out.

Well this is a nation wide ad, and I doubt that Wal-Mart would be taking that kind of hit on a price drop if it wasn't from Microsoft. I can't scan the ad, cause I don't have a scanner, it's from my cam phone, that should be enough.

looks legit to me. ANd it wasnt a scan, it was a crappy camera phone photo...and honestly thats enough. If anything, check his posts, they're walmart centric

[quote name='xboxundone']I will believe it when i see it. As how does he already have the APRIL ads????? Sorry have to say it a FAKE deal. :?:[/quote]

misc16.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but if you recall their was a halo pack in with a green XBOX announced overseas that is apparently coming here next month. At least according to the higher ups of the company I work for. I guess I'll have to buy another XBOX now. Can't resist the green console.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='xboxundone']I will believe it when i see it. As how does he already have the APRIL ads????? Sorry have to say it a FAKE deal. :?:[/quote]

misc16.jpg
[/quote]

I will still only believe it when i see it too many times lately i have seen ads that say game or consoles for such price, but the are changed by time full run. For those that dont have an Xbox yet i hope its True!!! More people i can whoop on Xbox live :)

[quote name='Raider']Well for those that don't believe me I posted a picture of it from my camera phone, I can't link to the image directly but it can be seen at http://raider82.textamerica.com/ it's the first image. I visit here often, just don't post much, but thought I'd give the heads up for anyone that wanted to buy a XBOX soon.[/quote]

Cool, awesome find, I thank you a lot for taking a pic of the ad. Can you tell me if there is a price drop for the PS2 also? Or is it just for the XBOX? Thanks.

Well, now that Sony knows about it, I'm sure the PS2 will drop as well. Likely on the same day or within a day.

i would bet the xbox boxes will still have a game included
it cant compete with ps2 at the same price so giving 1-2 extra free games is amust for microsoft to do imo.

As with the xbox may 2003 price drop . sony got news about it and droped there price 2 days before the xbox was planing to drop theres

so hopefully ps2's will be 149 the same day.

still dvd players are 30-40bucks now. 149 for a ps2 or xbox is still kinda high in its last year and 1/2 of its life cycle but maybe another drop will happen before xmas of 04 .

thanks for the post raider.
hopefully the ad was correct.

At bestbuy we get updates on this stuff before we even see the ads (usually)
I'll see if i can remember to look up possible price drops on our computer tomorrow.

Price drops mean all of us cheapassgamers win :)

With all due respect, I disagree. Come on, we all know that as of now, every Xbox made is about $40+ more than the $179 price tag. I'm not trying to make this another game info post, but MS launched the Xbox in HOPES to gather a good fan base to see how well they do. They are toe-to-toe with Nintendo (GC) and if you don't call that success, then I don't know what is.

In other words, why would they keep pumping out systems and lower it to $150 (meaning a loss of -$80 or more per system) when they could save for "Nextbox?" Seriously, they've gotten the good numbers already and everyone knows they have the potential...they don't need to lower it to $150 to bring in a few more numbers....what's the most they'll get? A few 10-20 thousand maybe? Nonetheless, I hope I'm wrong. I disagree that it'll lower, but I'm still with you guys. It'd be a killer price.

[quote name='nintendokid']With all due respect, I disagree. Come on, we all know that as of now, every Xbox made is about $40+ more than the $179 price tag. I'm not trying to make this another game info post, but MS launched the Xbox in HOPES to gather a good fan base to see how well they do. They are toe-to-toe with Nintendo (GC) and if you don't call that success, then I don't know what is.

In other words, why would they keep pumping out systems and lower it to $150 (meaning a loss of -$80 or more per system) when they could save for "Nextbox?" Seriously, they've gotten the good numbers already and everyone knows they have the potential...they don't need to lower it to $150 to bring in a few more numbers....what's the most they'll get? A few 10-20 thousand maybe? Nonetheless, I hope I'm wrong. I disagree that it'll lower, but I'm still with you guys. It'd be a killer price.[/quote]

I agree with you that they already have user recognition, but pricedrops are more about getting an installed fan-base. Think about it, you know that XBox games exist and are supposed to be decent, but it's not until you play Halo (or whatever other XB exclusives) that you feel you need the sequel(s) and will buy whichever system has that game on it. I think a drop to 150 will drum up some interest, and then when Halo 2 hits (hopefully in the Fall) there may be another price drop to coincide and really expand the fanbase...just my 2 cents.

[quote name='Thunderscope']Dang I was going to buy it tomorrow guess I'll wait[/quote]

If this is true, then you can buy it now, and I know for a fact that Wal-Mart has a policy that says if you bought it within the past 90 days that you can get the price difference. Happened when I bought PS2 for $300 and then it dropped.

what in the bejeezus is this 3 games, xbox, and 2 months live at walmart deal? is it a YMMV issue? or at all walmarts?

This may very well be a deal exclusive to walmart, america's #1 retailer, period.

Either way, i doubt MS will initiate a price drop without a sony pricedrop, that would mean further losses for MS.
When PS2 or Xbox drops it's price, expect a million to sell(either) within the first month or few weeks. Plenty of people are anticipating such an event, and it will kill any hype that gamecube has drummed up with it's $99 system.

I wouldn't be surprised. The first I heard of the Nintendo $99 price drop was this month-or-so-in-advance photo of a Walmart ad:

nintendo_price_drop_BIG.jpg

That info spread like crazy and Nintendo went ahead and dropped the price a few weeks early.

My walmart and Tru sells the ps2 at 159.99 thats only 10 off the xbox price drop. Is it still 179.99 at other places? Also remember that the network ps2 would still be pricy against a 149 xbox

Theenternal, which TRU is selling PS2s for $159.99? I know Wal-marts have been selling PS2s for below cost in areas(mine had them for $162 at one point(along with GBA SPs for $84),now PS2s are back to $180), but I wouldn't think TRU would actually sell the systems below cost as it would be a huge loss for them.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that this drop is happening(it's been reported on numerous sites for months now to expect one by E3). Before the ad scan, an X-box rep was claiming at TRU that X-box would definitely drop before June.

In all honesty, these little incremental price drops are getting a bit ridiculous. I mean, less is less, but a year back we were expecting this $150 price, and instead they took a measly 20 bucks of the then price of $200. If we can expect to see the next generation of systems within a year or two, then Sony and MS need to get their act together and let the $99 price fly!

...But, MS would lose tons of money selling the XBox for $99. If Sony really wanted to put the hurt on MS, they could try streamlining PS2 production to a point where selling at a $99 pricepoint would be feasible.

I also don't think that $150 XBoxes would sell more than the $99 GC's...once a major piece of consumer electronics falls under a hundred bucks, its like a little switch goes off in shoppers' minds: "Hmmm, under a hundred, I guess I could get that!'. The system goes from planned purchase into impulse buy territory.

[quote name='ultimanecat1']

I also don't think that $150 XBoxes would sell more than the $99 GC's...once a major piece of consumer electronics falls under a hundred bucks, its like a little switch goes off in shoppers' minds: "Hmmm, under a hundred, I guess I could get that!'. The system goes from planned purchase into impulse buy territory.[/quote]

I agree. Hell, the ol' "Honey, its just a hundred bucks" routine worked on my wife when they dropped the gamecube price, and I bet I'm not the only one whose wife was convinced by that detail...

While I agree also that this incremental thing is a bit annoying, it does make sense from a marketing standpoint. I guess.

Never let the wife decide what games you can buy.

If it comes to that just shoot me!

Do you think she asks you to buy shoes? Look in the closet...on the floor. Count those suckers. For every 3 pairs you can justify one game. For every 5 pairs you can get a system. Tell her this and see how fast she stfu.

[quote name='defender']Never let the wife decide what games you can buy.

If it comes to that just shoot me! [/quote]

You see, here's how married life works (at least for me): If I want to buy something frivolous (like another game system), then I am free to do so. My wife will not get mad at me or give me any hassle because she, like you said, certainly doesn't ask my permission to buy a zillion freaking shoes. :cry:

However, when I realize that I am purchasing something that she may view as a competitor (ie: games take away time that I could be spending with her, etc), I have a decision to make. I can A) Just buy the damn game and then deal with the repercussions (like smartass comments and ahem, uh, "coldness" in the bedroom..., know what I mean??) OR B) Make a good case for buying the game/console (like a good price, or other benefit to her such as the PS2 or XB's DVD playback abilities). :twisted:

So ultimately I have decided that having access to a regular amount of ass and 'tang is worth having to wait for something to go on sale. :wink:

And let this be a lesson to all ye single whippersnappers (or thirty-year-olds in their parents' basements)!!!

'cow out!

Not single! Well, dating the same lady for a few years, anyway.

I was lucky in that I convinced my lady friend to like certain video games. While I don't see her enjoying a nice game of Devil May Cry anytime soon, she definitely likes games that we can play together. She especially likes Ico right now. We even beat Halo together! This, my friends, is the single greatest argument for game programmers to implement co-op in their games: it allows girls to enjoy the same games guys do, and as we all know, a happy lady is a, ahem, friendly lady.

just remember ps2 didnt drop there 299 price until microsoft droped theres.

why if your sony selling millions of ps2 and 3,4,5 to 1 in sales vs cube and xbox would you lower your price today?

theres no reason i see.
xbox is in the losers seat in sales a price drop increases fan base. and they will need a larger fanbase if they want to compete in the next console wars.

MS needs more people to buy and like there xbx1 so they all go out and buy there xbx2.

even a 149 drop isnt that great. Its somthing . but not much because it should of happend before xmas of 03 in everyone opinions including "experts".

It would be nice if sony sees the xbx drop to 149 and drops the ps2 to 139
i know it would never happen but it would be nice to see and id buy another ps2

bread's done
Back