Kotaku craps all over itself with terrible GOTY

My almost wife of a girlfriend loves Mario Galaxy. In fact, as I am writing this she just started up the game and I heard Mario scream out the title over in the living room. Oh listen, there's the title music.

My wife and her friends love all the mini-game compilations. None of them have the patience for anything as protracted as SMG.

While the nominees are 'good' games I wouldn't call them outstanding, genre redefining or GOTY worthy. I freely admit I am a Bioshock fanboy and was stunned at it's snub.

These issues probably have resulted from the moronic consensus system Kotaku used.

Wait, people have a problem with Super Mario Galaxy being game of the year?

I don't know what to say.

I'm seriously stunned.

It's GOTY

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Zelda: PH? What the fuck were they thinking?[/quote]
No shit that game is horrible.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Uncharted yes, SMG maybe, Zelda no.[/quote]

Agreed.

Oh man. I can tell that watching this thread from the sidelines is going to be most enjoyable.

You boys get to fisticuffs. I have a nice leather chair and some scotch to sip on.

Do go on.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']My wife and her friends love all the mini-game compilations. None of them have the patience for anything as protracted as SMG.

While the nominees are 'good' games I wouldn't call them outstanding, genre redefining or GOTY worthy. I freely admit I am a Bioshock fanboy and was stunned at it's snub.

These issues probably have resulted from the moronic consensus system Kotaku used.[/QUOTE]

While I loved Bioshock and thought it was a great game, it really falls apart in the end (after the big reveal, it's all downhill imo).

Having just finished Uncharted, I can say it has no such problem - it's an incredible game beginning to end, and deserves every bit of praise it has received. It's easily the best game Naughty Dog has made.

Yes, bioshock has a very disappointing last couple hours and ending that basically negates its whole "mortality" angle. Also the RPG elements were lacking, reducing the replayability because you were basically able nearly master almost every skill in the game. System Shock 2 played a lot differently based on your upgrade choices. It just felt a bit shallow.. still fun, and still in the top 5 goty, but not best.

IDK about uncharted, it's on that expensive thing. Zelda:pH is a dissapointment, imo. SMG wins.

I gave Galaxy a try, but the level design just irritated me. I hated going to what I thought was a level, then having to do menial shit on 5 tiny balls before finally being slingshotted to the REAL level.

First and foremost, I haven't played Uncharted, so I can't comment on that.

Zelda... I have to agree with the consensus, it was okay, but nothing spectacular, and certainly nowhere near GOTY. Did I enjoy it? Sure. Was it innovative? Certainly. Was there something missing? Definitely.

Galaxy... anyone who doesn't 'understand' this pick either hasn't played the game, or simply hates fun. Hyperbole, sure, but fairly accurate. It's a fun game, with tight controls, a lot of innovation, and the resurgence of a mascot that (let's be fair here) we'd given up on ever getting an 'outstanding' game out of again. Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but there's no denying it should at least be considered as a GOTY.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']who gives a shit about lists?[/quote]

Truth and I actually like those picks. This year was a really good year for gaming.

Phantom Hourglass was terrible. I picked it up and collected everything but this is going to be my last Zelda game. Everything leading up to Twilight Princess was butter but something has been missing since Wind Waker. I'm guessing it's Miyamoto.

I have no problem with Galaxy in there, and I haven't played Uncharted so I can't comment on it.

Zelda I have issues with as I'm having a terrible time getting motivated to finish it. Hate having to redo the ocean king temple over and over, and the controls (aside from boomerang and bombs) are less intuitive that traditional controls.

But at anyrate, it's hard to pick a game of the year this year since there were so many great games.

Out of what I've played, I'd have a hell of a time picking from Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Halo 3, Orange Box (though I've only scratched the surface of it), and Call of Duty 4. And I still need to play stuff like Mass Effect, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band etc.

You are all retarded. You expect your GOTY to be the same as every media outlet's GOTY? I wouldn't give any of these games GOTY, but I'm not going to bitch that Kotaku is wrong. They obviously just loved all of these games.
And for the record, I thought Zelda: PH was great.

[quote name='pete5883']You are all retarded. You expect your GOTY to be the same as every media outlet's GOTY? I wouldn't give any of these games GOTY, but I'm not going to bitch that Kotaku is wrong. They obviously just loved all of these games.
And for the record, I thought Zelda: PH was great.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly...SKATE and Persona 3 top my list for GOTY and I'm sure there are plenty of people that disagree about that.

Seriously, why is everyone hating on Zelda? I can see how many think it was more of the same, but horrible? I don't think it was GOTY...but it wasn't a bad game, by far. To each is own, I suppose.

from how much I've played of galaxy, I think it's very game of the year worhty. I also thought Bioshock and Assassin's Creed should be up there as well. But the fact is, this thread was started by a troll and will only escalate from there on out.

To hell with you guys, I liked Phantom Hourglass. :roll: It was a nice way to make up for Twilight Princess being less than average.

[quote name='Sancho1978']Seriously, why is everyone hating on Zelda? I can see how many think it was more of the same, but horrible? I don't think it was GOTY...but it wasn't a bad game, by far. To each is own, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I hate doing the ocean king temple over and over, both because I hate back tracking and I loathe timed levels.

And I don't like the controls. For the most part they're worse that traditional controls. Neat for aiming stuff, using the boomerang etc. But walking around, fighting etc. I'd prefer d-pad and buttons.

It's not a bad game, but it's far and away my least favorite Zelda game.

Congrats to Phantom Hourglass making it to the list based on the title alone. :roll:

It wasn't horrible, but certainly not goatse material.

Their Reader Awards are even worse, considering the choices they've given.

Holy Christ, and I thought the PSPFanboy awards were bad.

[quote name='anomynous']You guys are saying SMG shouldn't be at least a contender for GOTY?

wow[/quote]

Nothing wrong with it being a contender. Even though I enjoyed SMG I'm shocked to see it win GOTY. It's a game I played, beat, and enjoyed so I don't have a problem with it.

But Legend of Zelda: PH runner-up for GOTY deserves some chin scratching :whistle2:k

I'm enjoying Phantom Hourglass, the controls alone make you rethink how innovative a game on the DS can be. Great puzzles and classic gameplay with a new twist make it a great game. Repeating the Ocean Temple is a bit tedious, but at least each time you go back you get to visit new places and unlock newer areas. Easily my portable GotY.

As for Super Mario Galaxy, quite possibly the best Super Mario game ever. Instead of cranking out Super Mario Sunshine 2 like so many other companies would've easily done Nintendo took their time to create something that truly elevates the game beyond anything we've played before. Too awesome. Thank goodness we won't see a sequel for years instead of the now to commonplace 9-11 month turnaround.

Granted there were other great games that easily could've filled that top spot, SMG is at least very deserving of it.

I can't see what's the beef with Zelda:pH is. It's easily the hand-held GOTY, and holds its own as one of the best this year. maybe not GOTY exactly, but its certainly GOTY-worthy.

Wait, so the game people have a problem with in that list is SMG, not the crappy Tomb Raider rip-off on the PS3.

I mean it's a PS3 exclusive, how good can it really be ??
Come on people, get it together.

[quote name='benjamouth']Wait, so the game people have a problem with in that list is SMG, not the crappy Tomb Raider rip-off on the PS3.

Come on people, get it together.[/QUOTE]
:roll:

[quote name='benjamouth']Wait, so the game people have a problem with in that list is SMG, not the crappy Tomb Raider rip-off on the PS3.

Come on people, get it together.[/quote]

Which, of course, you haven't played.

Hey Benjamouth - how about you just shutyourmouth?

Super Mario Galaxy is the second highest reviewed game of all-time. Shut the fuck up.

As far as Drake and Zelda, throw Call of Duty 4, Orange Box, Bioshock, Zack & Wiki, Halo 3, Ratchet and Clank, Rock Band, God of War II, Metroid Prime or any other number of great games that came out this year in their place and you've still got yourself the perfect list.

This this year was insanely good for gamers. No matter which way you pick 'em, you really can't disagree with the quality at hand- unless you're a douche.

I guess what I'm tryin' to say is that the OP's a douche.

Come on people, get it together.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, guy who last plays Spiderman 3.

Edit: And Fusion Frenzy 2!

[quote name='h3llbring3r']My wife and her friends love all the mini-game compilations. None of them have the patience for anything as protracted as SMG.

These issues probably have resulted from the moronic consensus system Kotaku used.[/quote]

Bioshock was original in what way? The use of 1940s-60's era textures? Other than that the story wasn't that good, or compelling, often backtracked on itself.

It was just another FPS with a pretty box.

[quote name='Greetard']Super Mario Galaxy is the second highest reviewed game of all-time. Shut the fuck up.

As far as Drake and Zelda, throw Call of Duty 4, Orange Box, Bioshock, Zack & Wiki, Halo 3, Ratchet and Clank, Rock Band, God of War II, Metroid Prime or any other number of great games that came out this year in their place and you've still got yourself the perfect list.

This this year was insanely good for gamers. No matter which way you pick 'em, you really can't disagree with the quality at hand- unless you're a douche.

I guess what I'm tryin' to say is that the OP's a douche.[/quote]
Drake= Tomb Raider rip off, as someone else stated. Wooo
Orange Box= aside from Portal, nothing new, at all- another FPS in a pretty box
Bioshock= FPS in a pretty box, no innovation beyond textures
Zack & Wiki= /snort, haha
Halo 3= I love Halo 3 as much as the next guy, I collected skulls, got my rank up online in the first few hours, etc, but it's still just another FPS with a now old, rehashed story line, and so-so graphics
Rock Band= GOTY? er...
God of War 2= er..why? They'd more likely pick a Tickle-me-Elmo title
Metroid Prime is, like so many others= old shit rehashed for a new system and a young audience.

Some of you kids will see this one day, I dearly hope: Most of these games you love and feel are super hot originals are just the same old rehashed crap. Sure it's fun for a bit, but when you've been gaming for ever and a day you come to appreciate a bit of originality now and then, especially when they pop in something original in an established franchise (not something that happens often= people love the predictible)

[quote name='meesterjojo']Sure it's fun for a bit, but when you've been gaming for ever and a day you come to appreciate a bit of originality now and then, especially when they pop in something original in an established franchise (not something that happens often= people love the predictible)[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with liking something that is in an established genre and does very little astoundingly new, but is executed very well.

Too many people like to sit back and claim that things that run trodden paths are somehow inferior to things that try to blaze new paths. Originality is good, I'm not knocking that. But to pretend that we can't like something simply based on the fact that it's "been done before" is pretty foolhardy.

I can sit there and listen to all these aspirations of innovation for only so long until I start asking for the final product to judge how well it's executed. You can create an entirely new type of game, but if it plays and handles poorly, then I'm going to have a hard time accepting it over something that - while not original - does its thang very well.

At some point, you have to realize that it is very, very difficult to cut an entirely new swath. I mean you just dismissed pretty much every GOTY pick. What the hell is left after that?

bread's done
Back