The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Just to correct a part of your post

NON GR Blockbusters do take pre orders.

The BB I work at is currently taking pre-orders on the new WII Mario Smash Brothers, and we did Halo 3 last year.

[quote name='xDerekRx']Just to correct a part of your post

NON GR Blockbusters do take pre orders.

The BB I work at is currently taking pre-orders on the new WII Mario Smash Brothers, and we did Halo 3 last year.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll change it to SOME non-GR locations take VERY LIMITED preorders. No practical difference for me though ;).

fourth Post Woo Hoo ^_^

Walked in gamestop Bought
Alvin & Chipmunks for $16.19 10% off Coupon and Marvel with Forza for $16.19 with Coupon went over to Blockbuster Trade in Alvin for $31 Forza for $23 and Marvel for $16 Made like $36.70

Did a lil HoV action on the way home from work today, now I got my juices flowin. Will definitely work towards a PS3 (I wonder if I'll run into issues trading in multiple games at my BB down thw road..).

[quote name='io']OK, I'll change it to SOME non-GR locations take VERY LIMITED preorders. No practical difference for me though ;).[/quote]

Yeah, it seems its just for big games ... maybe once a year.

I figured it was worth mentioning so people without GameRushes would know that there is at least a possibility of using their credit towards a new game.

Called in today...

Forza 2 (360) - $22
MUA (360) - $15
Alvin (Wii) - $30

Looks like everything held, too bad I don't have the guts to trade in more than 1 to my stores. T_T

Just curious what are you guys using your credit for? I have about $500 in credit & i've mostly just been using it on buying those Toll House Cookies when i rent during the weekends...

Will pre-order Smash Bros as my BB is doing this at the moment...

Tagged the new thread. I PMed Cheapy about access to the Wiki to help keep it updated but I haven't heard back. Of course this was like a day before the outage so he's had alot more pressing matters to deal with since then :)

Where can you find alvin cheap? I might do a little HOV along with alvin today. i've got $275 but want a little more so that "WHEN" they get Wii's I can get SSBM also.

I really wish the wiki was up....

going to trade in a couple HoV's today at BBV/GR along with picking up my copy (hopefully) of DMC4 CE (given that it's actually IN STOCK) and also going to pre-order Smash Bros and possibly look into getting ROCK BAND...i've been tempted to do this for a LLOOONNNGGGG time...anyone know if it's better to get the PS3 version or the Xbox 360 version of Rock Band?

I had these values at the bottom of the last thread, don't want them to be missed when the Wiki is back up.

:wii: MUA - $22
:360: Lost Planet - $15

Date of quote for these was 2/4

Get the xbox version. You can use GH2 guitars, more people online, DLC has had a pattern of coming to the 360 first.

[quote name='animemaniac14']going to trade in a couple HoV's today at BBV/GR along with picking up my copy (hopefully) of DMC4 CE (given that it's actually IN STOCK) and also going to pre-order Smash Bros and possibly look into getting ROCK BAND...i've been tempted to do this for a LLOOONNNGGGG time...anyone know if it's better to get the PS3 version or the Xbox 360 version of Rock Band?[/quote]

[quote name='animemaniac14']going to trade in a couple HoV's today at BBV/GR along with picking up my copy (hopefully) of DMC4 CE (given that it's actually IN STOCK) and also going to pre-order Smash Bros and possibly look into getting ROCK BAND...i've been tempted to do this for a LLOOONNNGGGG time...anyone know if it's better to get the PS3 version or the Xbox 360 version of Rock Band?[/quote]

the ps3 version is wireless while 360 isn't.

[quote name='animemaniac14']and you can't use the GH3 wireless guitar for 360 on Rock Band for the 360 can you?[/quote]

yes you can. i have both and can verify. however, you CANNOT use the RockBand guitar for GH3 (same for ps3)

Some rather disappointing trade-ins today:

MOH: Airborne (360): $22
Timeshift (360): $28
Prey (which I wanted to save for the GS extra $10 deal to purchase some DVDS they had...): $8:cry:

Picked up Turok (360), didn't see any copies of DMC4 yet for sale or for rent.

[quote name='Vitality X']the ps3 version is wireless while 360 isn't.[/quote]

Is everything wireless? (drums, mic, guitar) or is it just the guitar?

[quote name='h2dk']Is everything wireless? (drums, mic, guitar) or is it just the guitar?[/quote]

Just the guitar. Everything else plugs into an ugly USB hub that has a power cord.

[quote name='rcaido']Just curious what are you guys using your credit for?[/quote]

I'm waiting for the Amazon gift cards. But if you need to turn credit into cash quick (and dont live in California) DS lites and Wii's are your best bet. DS lites go for near, if not more than retail price, and are easy to package & ship.

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']anyone got a TIV on two worlds?[/quote]

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1202350217&sr=8-20

More Walmart clearance goodness. I went back and picked up some of the other wii 2 packs they were clearing out for 17$ (20 at another Walmart local to me, so the price is YMMV). The games all trade for 16$

They are:

Mini Desktop Racing
Monster Trux: Arena
Off Road Exteme
Counter Force

I picked up 4 of each pack 2 pack (There were at least 20 more packs), so I'm looking at an easy 150$ profit once I spread the love around my blockbusters. I also took a copy of the the Billy Wizard and Ninja Breadman to GameCrazy and made them price match GR, it's funny how hard they squirm before agreeing that the price match policy is a corporate policy. I plan on taking another 4 of the above games to trade tomorrow night. I wonder how they would feel about me trading multiple copies of the same game.

Ghost recon traded at GR for 12$ not bad for a really old game.

[quote name='doubledown']What is this Amazon gift card you speak of?[/quote]
Its in the test phase in certain locations; but most Blockbusters will be selling store gift cards (including Amazon); mp3 players, cell phones, stereo systems, tv's, computers, etc.

The new CEO wants to turn Blockbuster into a retail as much as a rental store. He also hates BBO, hence the $35 price raise.

Tonight I stopped by a random Northern VA Blockbuster. They had a pretty decent selection of new games - way better than any of the Blockbusters near me. That sucks... Anyway, all I had with me was 2 $15 cards so I bought a 1600 points card (they had them briefly at some of the stores near me but never seemed to restock). I had to pay $21 for it, which hurt, but oh well (I'm not used to this thing called "sales tax" ;)).

But in addition to GH III, Rock Band, and several older new games like Super Mario Galaxy, they had a couple copies of Turok and Burnout Paradise (both for PS3 and 360). I'll add those to the OP. Note this is important because I'm talking a NON-GR store here.

Then later I drove by a store in Maryland and they had a huge banner in the window advertizing the Super Smash Brothers Brawl preorder! I couldn't believe it. This was a pretty small store otherwise - one I didn't think would have any new games. I didn't stop in but I might check it out tomorrow. I will have to see if any of my local stores are doing this preorder deal. Does anyone with inside knowledhe know when this promo stuff went up? If it was just in the last few days some stores near me might be doing it. I'd much rather burn $50 of BB credit than my precious GS credit.

[quote name='io']Tonight I stopped by a random Northern VA Blockbuster. They had a pretty decent selection of new games - way better than any of the Blockbusters near me. That sucks... Anyway, all I had with me was 2 $15 cards so I bought a 1600 points card (they had them briefly at some of the stores near me but never seemed to restock). I had to pay $21 for it, which hurt, but oh well (I'm not used to this thing called "sales tax" ;)).

But in addition to GH III, Rock Band, and several older new games like Super Mario Galaxy, they had a couple copies of Turok and Burnout Paradise (both for PS3 and 360). I'll add those to the OP. Note this is important because I'm talking a NON-GR store here.

Then later I drove by a store in Maryland and they had a huge banner in the window advertizing the Super Smash Brothers Brawl preorder! I couldn't believe it. This was a pretty small store otherwise - one I didn't think would have any new games. I didn't stop in but I might check it out tomorrow. I will have to see if any of my local stores are doing this preorder deal. Does anyone with inside knowledhe know when this promo stuff went up? If it was just in the last few days some stores near me might be doing it. I'd much rather burn $50 of BB credit than my precious GS credit.[/quote]
IO, like I mentioned in my first post about Non GR BBs doing preorders, this just started last week. You can use credit to pay off the entire thing right when you preorder. Someone came in to do one today and the computer lets you put between 5-49.99 down and she did 35 and used a gift card as the tender. No problems there.

[quote name='xDerekRx']IO, like I mentioned in my first post about Non GR BBs doing preorders, this just started last week. You can use credit to pay off the entire thing right when you preorder. Someone came in to do one today and the computer lets you put between 5-49.99 down and she did 35 and used a gift card as the tender. No problems there.[/QUOTE]

Actually, in your post you said "The BB I work at is currently taking pre-orders on the new WII Mario Smash Brothers, and we did Halo 3 last year." You didn't say when SSBB preorders started ;). If it has been going on for a few weeks (or even the beginning of last week) then it is probably not happening at my local stores that sell new games because they had none of the promo stuff up last weekend when I was at the biggest one. I mean, this poster in the window of the MD store was ENORMOUS - it practically covered an entire window and I could see it easily while driving by. Did you guys put up something like this? If not, I suppose it is possible my local stores are doing this too but just not advertizing it in any way (which, clearly, is pretty stupid).

[quote name='Bezerker']Its in the test phase in certain locations; but most Blockbusters will be selling store gift cards (including Amazon); mp3 players, cell phones, stereo systems, tv's, computers, etc.

The new CEO wants to turn Blockbuster into a retail as much as a rental store. He also hates BBO, hence the $35 price raise.[/quote]
any idea where these test locations are bezerker? :)

oh and i pre-ordered smash bros brawl...tho i only put $5 down (still tempted to buy rock band...got $200+ in credit right now...) and unfortunately, they said that smash bros won't arrive til the friday after the release date..same with my DMC4 CE :(

A little note I found out tonight when buying the Rock Band bundle - when it comes to trade prices, Blockbuster matches any trade values +10% if you find a store that gives more for a game than Blockbuster does. Granted, it'll probably never happen, but it's interesting to note. They don't advertise it, but it's store policy according to the kid I talked to.

lol at someone giving more than blockbuster. Although at one point GS gave more for Halo 3, but there were coupons that remedied that.

[quote name='JJSP']A little note I found out tonight when buying the Rock Band bundle - when it comes to trade prices, Blockbuster matches any trade values +10% if you find a store that gives more for a game than Blockbuster does. Granted, it'll probably never happen, but it's interesting to note. They don't advertise it, but it's store policy according to the kid I talked to.[/QUOTE]

:lol:. Yeah, not only is it highly unlikely you'll find a higher trade-in value (though there have been notable exceptions wrt to Gamecrazy particularly on PSP games) but I would imagine it is even more highly unlikely you'll find a BB clerk besides the one you talked to who A) Knows about this promo and B) Knows how to match and add 10% ;)

yea wat is up with the amazon gift cards. i might just stack up on credit until that day comes

Other stuff to use credit on:
Last night BB in NJ had art prints of movie posters and tv shows for $20-40.
Star wars, Elvis, the Office, etc.
Also had valentine candy tins.

Has anybody ever seen new *wired* 360 controllers at their store? I'm wanting a 3rd and 4th for Bomberman and stuff but don't want to hassle with batteries. My stores only seem to carry wireless.

Edit: FYI, I saw two Cobalt blue and black DSes at my store today.

Does anyone know if Blockbuster pricematches sales?

I ask because I just bought the Rock Band bundle last night for $169, and it appears Target will have it for $149 the Sunday after this one. Probably a huge longshot (seeing as they tend to sell DVD's for $5 more than most stores), but it's worth asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back