* * * * * 1 votes

Wipeout HD - Fury DLC Incoming

#91 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40110 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:22 AM

Delayed, again.

Technical issues, yada yada.

Hopefully out before the end of the year.

Link.

HOPEFULLY before the end of the year?

How incredibly lame.

#92 Mana Knight   Cloud Strife CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

Here is the rumored problem:

When SCEE president David Reeves said there were technical problems with WipEout HD, we really didn't know back then what that incurred. Now, according to CVG, the reason as to why the futuristic racer was slightly delayed is because it failed epilepsy testing.

Apparently, the dazzling flashes of ships rocketing at sub-light speeds is too much for those with the medical condition, and the game will be undergoing "re-engineering." It's unknown exactly how long a fix of this nature would take but, as Mr. Reeves had previously said, the game should "come out before the end of the year."

http://www.ps3fanboy...ilure/#comments

#93 StrandedBrit   Invaders Must Die CAGiversary!   2241 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

StrandedBrit

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

New info here.

After a months-long delay supposedly caused by failing seizure tests, it seems like WipEout HD is finally ready to debut on the PSN. The long-awaited HD follow-up to the PSP games, WipEout Pure and WipEout Pulse have many excited. One quick look at the game reveals exactly why: it is gorgeous, fast and absolutely breathtaking. We got a chance to play the upcoming downloadable title, and we limped away, impressed by the presentation and the absolutely visceral racing experience.

Yes, the game runs at a silky smooth 60fps. Yes, the texture work is fantastic. However, the technical achievements shouldn't overlook the game's great sense of style. While many of these tracks will familiar to PSP owners, they come to life with a brand new level of detail that the handheld simply couldn't pull off. There are all sorts of visual treats scattered across the tracks, and in your ship's HUD as well. The newly redesigned HUD is more dynamic than ever, distorting from nearby attacks, shaking during collisions, etc. Entering first-person mode will increase the sensation of really being in a supersonic vehicle even further.

One mode we're particularly impressed with this time around is the newly revamped HD Zone mode. Zone was one of the best modes from the PSP games, and this time it's back with a few enhancements. While Pure featured high-contrast tracks, Pulse added a bit more color to make it more visually appealing. HD takes it a step further with music synchronized textures on the tracks themselves. The music you're listening to will dynamically change the look of the track as you race along it, and as your ship gets progressively faster with each zone you enter, the color scheme of the entire world may suddenly morph all around you. It's stunning and absolutely must be experienced. Speed freaks will be glad to hear that speeds in Zone now reach "Zen," a level far beyond the Phantom levels offered in previous games.

Progression through the single player campaign should be familiar to anyone who's played WipEout Pulse. Once again, the "Grid" mode returns, with players able to select various race types to progress forward. Each trial that's completed unlocks adjacent ones, and when the player gets an adequate number of points (from earning medals), they'll move onto another grid. Each grid will give players access to new levels.

The loyalty system found in Pulse also returns, to encourage players to use the same ships. Each race, regardless of winning or losing, will give the player experience points for that ship. Over time, new skins and other bonuses can be unlocked for the ships. There's also a Photo Mode, which allows you to take pictures from the game and save them to your PS3 hard drive to share.

For vets of the franchise that have played the PSP games, none of this comes as surprising. However, even the most seasoned racers will have to get used to the adjusted controls offered by the PS3 controller. Once again, both the D-Pad and analog stick can be used to manuver the vehicle. The ships slither along the tracks a bit more easily, although turning has become much more tightened since previous iterations -- don't overuse the shoulder buttons, as they are incredibly effective in HD. We're glad to see that in our races, many of the new weapons found in Pulse have returned, and the ability to do a 360 degree mid-air turn for a boost bonus is easier than ever to perform.

While much of the content should be familiar for fans, everything still feels brand new thanks to the magnificent engine the guys at Liverpool have created for the game. Don't think of this as a stopgap until a "real" WipEout game -- this really is the real deal. Once again, the PSN has upped the ante for the kind of content you can find through digital distribution. If this preview has got you antsy for more, worry not -- details on WipEout HD's new release date (and price!) are coming soon.

:bouncy:

#94 StrandedBrit   Invaders Must Die CAGiversary!   2241 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

StrandedBrit

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

New details @ the psblog :-

Hello, Readers. Daimion here and I’m excited today to release some details on WipEout HD, coming to PLAYSTATION Network this fall. We’ve been mum on WipEout HD recently – keeping many of you in serious suspense, I know - but that doesn’t mean we haven’t been cranking away at bringing you an awesome anti-gravity racing game in 1080p HD!

WipEout HD will feature a selection of the best tracks taken from previous versions of this iconic franchise that have been reworked to show-off the graphical capabilities of PS3. But don’t take my word for it, if you want to see how good WipEout HD in 1080p and at 60 frames-per-second, check out the video below (not shown, check link):

WipEout HD will give you the chance to take on the greatest anti-grav racers in the world with plenty of online racing modes and even offline too, with HD’s two-player split-screen mode. Up to 8 racers can battle online in a range of online races. And with Trophy Support (whuuuuuut, Trophy support, you say?!?), which I know everyone is really excited about, this is definitely your chance to grab bragging rights online. More to come on Trophies soon, don’t you worry….

Posted Image Posted Image

And for an additional challenge in WipEout HD, you can opt to use the SIXAXIS motion controls to steer their ship while blasting away opponents with the full arsenal of weapons. With lots of teams/ships to choose from, plenty of on and offline racing modes, crazy-fast HD racing and a remixed Dolby 5.1 surround sound soundtrack, your adrenaline will be pumping in no time. Trust me. And even though we think you’ll love the soundtrack, but in case you love your own music collection more, you can create a custom playlist on the PS3 XMB and listen to it while you race. Niiiiiiiice, right?!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

For more game info check out www.WipEoutHD.com. We’ll be back with more on WipEout HD in the coming weeks, including the details on trophies, price, and release date - see keep your eyes peeled for more here on the PS Blog!

#95 RelentlessRolento   Conversation Comedy CAGiversary!   29351 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

RelentlessRolento

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

going to be so good, and even better with the added time.

#96 Mana Knight   Cloud Strife CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:44 AM

Previews at 1UP
http://www.1up.com/d...age?cId=3169532

The game looks very hot. Since the game has a Platinum Trophy, I'm 95% sure it will be $39.99. With all the added features, it's big enough to be retail level.

#97 smiggity   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3587 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

Then why not release it as a BluRay disk? I dont want to wait almost 2 hours for it to download from the PS Store

#98 StrandedBrit   Invaders Must Die CAGiversary!   2241 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

StrandedBrit

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Yeah it's weird, because so far all $40 games have been psn and br. This would be the first that isn't. Also, said games have been unshareable (as in the 1 player can play it for 24hours crap).

I'm going to hazard a guess that it'll be $30 and that'll be the min entry for platinum trophies.

$40 is great and all but if they are going to launch at that price, just give me the blu ray then.

#99 happy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

I really hope it can be shared... I just don't see myself paying $30 or 40, and since it's download only it will never drop much lower in price.

#100 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69971 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

http://blog.us.plays...#comment-104966

We could see an update on Wipeout HD next week, maybe a release date?

#101 RelentlessRolento   Conversation Comedy CAGiversary!   29351 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

RelentlessRolento

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

that would definitely be nice.

#102 Mana Knight   Cloud Strife CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

I really hope it can be shared... I just don't see myself paying $30 or 40, and since it's download only it will never drop much lower in price.

It's going to be $40, based on content. At the cheapest, it may be $30. I can say for sure it will not be lower than $30 since it has a Platinum Trophy.

#103 happy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

It's going to be $40, based on content. At the cheapest, it may be $30. I can say for sure it will not be lower than $30 since it has a Platinum Trophy.

I kind of expect them to put it out at $30 as an experiment. I imagine the profit on a $30 download is probably about the same as a $40 disc (socom/warhawk), so if they can sell well at $30 they may get rid of $40 disc based games in the future. That or they can use it to threaten bestbuy/walmart/GS for a larger margin on those games.

The shame is that numbers are almost never released for downloadable games as far as I know.

#104 smiggity   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3587 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

$30 is definitely the sweet spot.

#105 zenprime   A cat is fine too CAGiversary!   1144 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Can't wait for this. It was fun to play at PAX but they didn't have the TV and sound system to do it justice.

#106 smiggity   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3587 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Looks like its going to be cheap...Probably under 30! Plus they say "late september", next week Sony will be giving it an official date.
http://www.dpadmagaz...priced-at-1199/

Edited by smiggity, 11 September 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#107 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69971 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

http://threespeech.c...soon/#more-1814

The game will be £11.99 in the UK PS Store, or $21 in America bucks, so that may be a good sign for a $20 release, $30 at the most.

The Zone mode's been gimped as a result of the epilepsy test failure:

http://www.ps3fanboy...-of-wipeout-hd/

#108 josh_animebum   Shaq-Fu! CAGiversary!   282 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

josh_animebum

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:39 AM

Well I was on the fence about this one if it was $30+, but if it clocks in at only $20 to $25 then it seems like a no-brainer, especially for the online multiplayer. I would have prefered 4-player split-screen local multi instead of the 2 we are getting. Zone mode's gimping is a shame though since it sounded neat.

#109 RelentlessRolento   Conversation Comedy CAGiversary!   29351 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

RelentlessRolento

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

it'll probably be $30 since the euro one is 14.99 and US prices on the PSN are near double the euro exchange things stuff baby oil.

#110 KingBroly   CAG Club Nintendo CAGiversary!   15248 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

KingBroly

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

Wipeout HD to cost $20 on PSN in the US: http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3169892

#111 RelentlessRolento   Conversation Comedy CAGiversary!   29351 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

RelentlessRolento

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

wow supreb price!

#112 Mana Knight   Cloud Strife CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

That price is too good. Everyone better buy the game.

#113 happy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

:whee:

#114 zenprime   A cat is fine too CAGiversary!   1144 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

WOO! $20 price point! Can't wait for the release.

#115 freakyzeeky   Trophy Ho CAGiversary!   3931 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

freakyzeeky

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Yay!! I'm getting this game for sure. :D
$20 for this game is a steal. ;)

#116 smiggity   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3587 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

Really??....:bs:

#117 aihuman   Banned Banned   1103 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

Ill buy the bluray version.

#118 happy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

Now they just need to put the game out soon... Everyone says it's completed. Red Baron is next week, and Mega Man 9 by the end of the month (the 25th?). Will they overlap Wipeout with one of those or push back another major release into October.

#119 Megalith   Agnus Dei CAGiversary!   827 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

$20?

Is there going to be a retail copy, because I ain't paying $20 only for binary lawls.

#120 Mana Knight   Cloud Strife CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

$20?

Is there going to be a retail copy, because I ain't paying $20 only for binary lawls.

Never. PSN exclusive. The reason is because if SCEA made it retail, they'd have to charge more (retail loyalties and shipping), and then the PSN price would have to go up since PSN content can't be cheaper than retail (retailers are very sensitive over prices being lower elsewhere). It's intended to boost the library of PSN games.