CU student writes "satire" call for "War on Asians"

MadFlava

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I saw this posted in a forum. The CU chancellor and the editor of the newspaper are calling it "satire" that was ill conceived. I don't really see the satire in this. Sounds like a lot of hateful remarks and stereotypes. I can't imagine the editors publishing this if it was about African Americans.

http://www.thecampuspress.com/home/...Story_id=c07cea4a-0e65-4465-a9c4-17d6deb357e8

I find the apologies kind of weak.
http://media.www.thecampuspress.com...20/News/Letter.From.The.Editors-3223782.shtml
http://www.colorado.edu/news/r/537a10e44b68770c42ff1040aff5de90.html

i do see it as satire, crappy satire, but still satire. I mean when dealing with racial satire you have to spot on or you fail miserably. That is why Blazing Saddles works so well, spot on satire.'

OP just curious if you are Asian. Don't have to answer if you don't want to. Just wandering if that might be reason you are taking this so hard?

[quote name='MadFlava']I find the apologies kind of weak.
http://media.www.thecampuspress.com...20/News/Letter.From.The.Editors-3223782.shtml
http://www.colorado.edu/news/r/537a10e44b68770c42ff1040aff5de90.html[/QUOTE]

Man, I'm so fuckin' SICK of those "we want to apologize *if you were offended*" bullshit apologies. It's classless and admits to no wrongdoing.

If you're going to apologize, apologize for not thinking things through, for poor writing, for abusive and racist language, and for being an insensitive fucking asshole - DON'T apologize "if someone was offended."

All that does is make you look like a piece of shit who won't stand behind what an asshole their words make them to be, and implicitly blames everyone who read it and was offended - since it was *their* fault, and not the writer's, for being offended.

Ugh.

Ugh, disgusting. It has to be funny to work as satire when it's a controversial issue like this, and it's not funny at all.

[quote name='mykevermin']Man, I'm so fuckin' SICK of those "we want to apologize *if you were offended*" bullshit apologies. It's classless and admits to no wrongdoing.

If you're going to apologize, apologize for not thinking things through, for poor writing, for abusive and racist language, and for being an insensitive fucking asshole - DON'T apologize "if someone was offended."

All that does is make you look like a piece of shit who won't stand behind what an asshole their words make them to be, and implicitly blames everyone who read it and was offended - since it was *their* fault, and not the writer's, for being offended.

Ugh.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause:

Thread over.

There's no need for applause - I'm ashamed for all of us, because I see this kind of apology happen so often - even the Pope did it when he said something shitty about Muslims a year or two back. Politicians do this all the time as well.

There's no such thing as a good ol' "I'm sorry/I fucked up" anymore.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's no need for applause - I'm ashamed for all of us, because I see this kind of apology happen so often - even the Pope did it when he said something shitty about Muslims a year or two back. Politicians do this all the time as well.

There's no such thing as a good ol' "I'm sorry/I fucked up" anymore.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. You said it so brilliantly and succinctly I had to applause. And I'm not editing my post to delete them. ;)

That was pretty bad. I guess yeah you can call it satire but its poorly written and rather pointless. But man how that story even got to print is beyond me.

I skimmed through it and found it not funny. Seeing as myke already answered this thread, I suppose we can spice it up by talking about how race is very subjective.

Ex: So was that kid he was referring to Indian? Iraqi? He could've been Inuit.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's no such thing as a good ol' "I'm sorry/I fucked up" anymore.[/quote]

Do you really think people would accept that?

Well at least one person recognized the 'Swiftian' parallel. Do they even teach A Modest Proposal in schools anymore?

Satire does not have to be funny to be satire, nor to be 'spot on', or accurate. I agree that this was not very well done, but in contrast to Myke's outrage that apologies today are insincere, I'm sick of people always demanding apologies in the first place. Cowtowing to these people just fuels their overinflated sense of self-importance. In all seriousness, if you can't take a joke, or don't like it - fuck the hell off and take your demands to someone who feels your pain.

I certainly wouldn't apologize for a satirical piece such as this. Nor would I ever offer one for offending someone unless the slur was purposeful and undeserved. Of course, I'd have written a much better piece in the first place.

This article is about as paralleled to Swift as my posts are to Satre.

I hope that, if you want to defend a person's right to say dreadful things, that you'll apologize (heh) for criticizing Ward Churchill's dialectic type - at least that's better, in terms of satire, than this.

i see the satire, its just not done that well. I think the butterfly nets kind of gave it away. Most of the time it just seems like an excuse for the the kid to vent frustrations about interacting with Asian people for the first time at college.

[quote name='mykevermin']I meant in the context of a greater apology. There should never be limits, caveats, or "ifs" to apologies. It's weak.[/quote]

But what if in the context of a greater apology, someone went, "I fucked up." Would people really accept that?

Like if some 19 year old guy caught doing it with Britney Spear's younger sister and in the context of a bigger apology went, "I fucked up." I don't think it would hold at all.

[quote name='mykevermin']Man, I'm so fuckin' SICK of those "we want to apologize *if you were offended*" bullshit apologies. It's classless and admits to no wrongdoing.

Ugh.[/quote]

Nods in agreement.

[quote name='bmulligan']Well at least one person recognized the 'Swiftian' parallel. Do they even teach A Modest Proposal in schools anymore?

Satire does not have to be funny to be satire, nor to be 'spot on', or accurate. I agree that this was not very well done, but in contrast to Myke's outrage that apologies today are insincere, I'm sick of people always demanding apologies in the first place. Cowtowing to these people just fuels their overinflated sense of self-importance. In all seriousness, if you can't take a joke, or don't like it - fuck the hell off and take your demands to someone who feels your pain.

I certainly wouldn't apologize for a satirical piece such as this. Nor would I ever offer one for offending someone unless the slur was purposeful and undeserved. Of course, I'd have written a much better piece in the first place.[/quote]

Agreed. One's head must be firmly inserted within his or her colon to claim that only good satire is socially acceptable.

Ugh.[/quote]

Totally agree with you 100%. Editors should apologize for publishing the article in the first place and not that it offends people. If the writer was writing about racial relations with African Americans in the same manner, it would have never been published. We have a society, where we are more sensitive to one race than the others. I see that Latinos probably get the worst treatment in America these days because of the immigration issue.

[quote name='bmulligan']Well at least one person recognized the 'Swiftian' parallel. Do they even teach A Modest Proposal in schools anymore?

I certainly wouldn't apologize for a satirical piece such as this. Nor would I ever offer one for offending someone unless the slur was purposeful and undeserved. Of course, I'd have written a much better piece in the first place.[/quote]Considering where this was published, yes it deserves a real apology. This wasn't some comedians stand up act, this was an article by a student in a school newspaper. You really want half the school pissed off?

I certainly wouldn't apologize for a satirical piece such as this. Nor would I ever offer one for offending someone unless the slur was purposeful and undeserved. Of course, I'd have written a much better piece in the first place.[/quote]

This is all until you get offended, tough guy. I bet you're typical young whitey. I agree with you to a certain extent, but you're not seeing both sides of the issue. What people to stop getting offended about shit like this? How about you go back in time and have your white race not oppress everyone else.

Stupid fucking cracker.

Also, good luck trying to preach that mentality to a society who is almost 100 percent in the other direction. With reason.

I think it started out kinda funny. Or rather I guess it started out with the potential to be hilarious. I think where it turned for me was
Anyone who is interested in signing up to volunteer can do so by e-mailing me. Next Sunday at noon, we will all meet at Farrand Field. Each volunteer will be issued an extra-large butterfly net.
. I haven't read past that yet so I don't know if it gets worse but I feel it unnecessary to actually request e-mails.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's no such thing as a good ol' "I'm sorry/I fucked up" anymore.[/quote]at the same time as Zen Davis said people don't accept apologies anymore. People are kinda forced to stand up for whatever they do whether or not they recant. Like reviewers have to keep their scores up no matter what. I'd like to see a politician apologize just flat out but it will never happen for the same reason Gamespot will never change the 8.8 they gave Twilight Princess. I'm pretty sure after the Gerstmann stuff we can all imagine the scandal if anyone ever changed a games score no matter what the circumstances. The scandal if George Bush every went on camera and said "I'm sorry I was wrong" would be insane. The same thing happens with this article on a smaller scale. They can't just say "Opps. I'm sorry we were wrong to print this". They should. Maybe they want to, but it would kill their 'integrity' and so it'll never happen. I don't blame them for that. For instance "It was not properly labeled as either satire or commentary, and readers were left with the impression that the author spoke for the collective staff and leadership of the Campus Press, and perhaps even the University of Colorado." who read this article and thought the University of Colorado wanted to round up Asians and 'Americanize' them. Statements like that are why apologies will never been sincere

[quote name='willardhaven']Agreed. One's head must be firmly inserted within his or her colon to claim that only good satire is socially acceptable.[/quote]I think you have it backwards. Good Satire isn't necessarily funny satire. Satire doesn't have to be funny to be socially acceptable but it does have to be good. This is bad satire.

[quote name='MadFlava']. If the writer was writing about racial relations with African Americans in the same manner, it would have never been published.[/quote]I think it would have been published, but then I also think it would have been a better article, but then maybe I'm just a better writer and I would have written a better article. Maybe I'm not even a better writer maybe it's cause I'm black I could do a better job from the 'inside' as it were. None of this matter of course because the current article is stupid.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's no such thing as a good ol' "I'm sorry/I fucked up" anymore.[/quote]at the same time people don't accept apologies anymore. People are kinda forced to stand up for whatever they do whether or not they recant. Like reviewers have to keep their scores up no matter what. I'd like to see a politician apologize just flat out but it will never happen for the same reason Gamespot will never change the 8.8 they gave Twilight Princess. I'm pretty sure after the Gerstmann stuff we can all imagine the scandal if anyone ever changed a games score no matter what the circumstances. The scandal if George Bush every went on camera and said "I'm sorry I was wrong" would be insane. The same thing happens with this article on a smaller scale. They can't just say "Opps. I'm sorry we were wrong to print this". They should. Maybe they want to, but it would kill their 'integrity' and so it'll never happen. I don't blame them for that.

[quote name='HotShotX']First Amendment
If you don't like it, don't fucking read it.
/thread

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

I'm amused how this is always whipped out - who denys he doesn't have the right to say it? You can say ANYTHING you want, but know that some things will have consequences, esp. if it's a (public) fail like this one. Hell, he doesn't even have to apologize if he doesn't want to, but again, consequences.

First Amendment gives you the rights, but you also have the right to fuck things up too.

[quote name='bmulligan']Well at least one person recognized the 'Swiftian' parallel.[/QUOTE]
If by parallel you mean this:
picturewb6.jpg

Unrelated to the article but to the discussion at hand:

Isn't is sad that people can't just accept an apology anymore, as if there were such a terrible thing?

Hell, I'm willing to bet that's one of the underlying currents of a lot of bitter resentment and anger in a lot of people. Here we are talking about how an apology has become so weak in society. It's kind of like how "fuckin'" carries no power anymore, since everyone uses it like it were an adjective. Or punctuation. "I fuckin' had some fuckin' toast this morning."

Ahh, the lives of men.

That was pretty stupid. And you are completely right about if it was about certain other races it would not have been allowed.

As stupid a piece as it is, I feel its just as stupid to let it bother you. He wins the second people start circulating this and the hate and racism is spread more. If people could just start letting this dumb shit go and live their lives instead of getting mad and making angry comments back to the people who publish and wrote it then soon enough these people would go away. Maybe not entirely, but when people know they wont get a reaction they wont be as likely to do it.

Save the real complaints for when their is an actual cause for it. Writing a stupid column in a paper no one would have ever read probably doesnt actually hurt anyone. Grow up people. Lets end the hate and stop letting this dumb stuff get to you.

[quote name='Strell']
Isn't is sad that people can't just accept an apology anymore, as if there were such a terrible thing?[/quote]

Maybe if 99% of all apologies weren't insincere, condescending, and smacking of another round-about insult...

Terrible.

Once in my college paper, someone penned an epistolary short story describing a future war between the humanities and the sciences. Now that was fairly clever - I can remember humanities had propaganda, mind control, and supernatural powers, whereas the sciences of course had physics and fancy laser weapons. It was instantly recognizable as a joke.

In this case I'm not sure what the author's point was, the article is simply brutish and nasty.

[quote name='willardhaven']Agreed. One's head must be firmly inserted within his or her colon to claim that only good satire is socially acceptable.[/quote]

So does that mean Ann Coulter is socially acceptable?

Sounds like some kid that thinks he's funny, and agape at all the scary non-white ethnicities he's not use to seeing at College, compared to his hometown.

It's sad that something like this is published in a school paper, regardless the ethnicity of the writer, regardless the ethnicity of the people he or she is attacking, and regardless whether it is a satire or not.

Well, college campus newsletters aren't all equal. Some are surprisingly good, and some are just trying to scrape up something to put in print. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

With regard to the insincere/ineffective "apology," I have to disagree. If you make a sincere and direct apology nowadays, that puts you squarely in the crosshairs for costly litigation.

It is prudent to opt for the weak (and nearly meaningless) "we regret if people were offended" line, to avoid admitting guilt. Now, if the general public accepted sincere apologies in lieu of ridiculously high payouts in court, then we would have turned the clock back to a more socially responsible time.

As for the implicit condoning of discrimination against Asians.....ehhhh. This wasn't exactly institutionalized bigotry, and it's a good reminder of who we're rubbing shoulders with.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']It's sad that something like this is published in a school paper, regardless the ethnicity of the writer, regardless the ethnicity of the people he or she is attacking, and regardless whether it is a satire or not.[/quote]

Agreed. It's like something you might run into on a shitty internet blog dug up by somethingawful.

haha apparently people dont know satire...lol idk where ppl get this stuff considering im asian its kinda like yea okay people have different cultures and are adjusting to new ones....so what give them a break. the part where people say stuff about asians they wouldnt to blacks was like the only legit thing in that..
interesting topic op:bouncy:

[quote name='camoor']So does that mean Ann Coulter is socially acceptable?[/quote]

It makes no sense to have the same cultural transgressions become acceptable simply because a more talented person is performing them.

I don't even really care about the article, just the whining people are doing about it.

P.S. Who's your avatar? Looks sort of like Desmond from Lost.

[quote name='willardhaven']It makes no sense to have the same cultural transgressions become acceptable simply because a more talented person is performing them.

[/quote]

Sounds like you have trouble distinguishing what you want society to be like and how society actually is.

How many non black people like Chapelle?

Now compare that to Comic View.

[quote name='GTzerO']Sounds like you have trouble distinguishing what you want society to be like and how society actually is.
[/quote]

By my quote, the conclusion would be that most people have their heads in their rears...

Can't be too far off.

[quote name='MadFlava']We have a society, where we are more sensitive to one race than the others. I see that Latinos probably get the worst treatment in America these days because of the immigration issue.[/quote]

Actually, whites tend to take the brunt of it and are expected to just take it instead of getting offended like the other racial groups.

Evidence:

[quote name='GTzerO']
Stupid fucking cracker.

[/quote]

Imagine the outrage if he would have posted: " Stupid fucking spic."

bread's done
Back