Comcast dirty tricks

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Comcast might as well take all that PR money they spend, throw it in a pile, and burn it.

I've never met a person who thinks their company or their service is exemplary, their obnoxiously loud ads spew nothing but gibberish and FUD, and the only reason I'm a customer is due to the fact that the only other option is very expensive satellite internet service.

Comcast Accused of Falsely Taking Hearing Seats
By Mark Jewell
The organizer of a federal hearing Monday at Harvard Law School on Comcast's treatment of subscriber Internet traffic said yesterday that "seat-warmers" hired by the company prevented other people from attending.
Comcast acknowledged that it hired an unspecified number of people to fill seats, but said those people gave up their spots when Comcast employees arrived to take their places.
Catherine Bracy, administrative manager of Harvard University's Berkman Center for Internet and Society, disputed that assertion, saying most of the three dozen seat-warmers who arrived hours before the Federal Communications Commission hearing remained during the event's opening hours, as many other people were turned away.
"No employees came in to take those seats when the event started," Bracy said.
The hearing was held in response to complaints to the FCC that Comcast, the nation's largest cable company, hampered file-sharing traffic on its Internet service. The company has said that its traffic management practices are necessary to keep other Internet traffic flowing smoothly.
Comcast said it hired seat-holders only after the advocacy group Free Press urged its backers to attend. "For the past week, the Free Press has engaged in a much more extensive campaign to lobby people to attend the hearing on its behalf," the company said in a written statement.
A Comcast spokeswoman declined to comment yesterday on Bracy's statements.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/27/AR2008022703394.html

Comcastic indeed.

i sorta understand why Comcast is the only option in most places, i personally wouldn't want those wires running all over my city.
However, they seem to be abusing that privilege more and more. I'm glad i live in a place where can actually buy from a local ISP, like Zhonka.

I hate comcast. A lot. Like most its the only option in these parts but recently they upped their prices but stopped some services.

How does that even work. You take away service that used to be included but then you up the price.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I hate comcast. A lot. Like most its the only option in these parts but recently they upped their prices but stopped some services.

How does that even work. You take away service that used to be included but then you up the price.[/QUOTE]

Monopoly in your area, Comcast can do almost whatever they want to you. Someone in Michigan did a study (it was sited in the a newspaper here maybe 3 months ago), where Comcast has signifcantly higher prices where they don't have competition.

I'm glad we have the option for WOW cable. It isn't priced that much better than Comcast, but they are much better to deal with. We dumped Comcast the second that we could.

The consumer blog, The Consumerist, often reports of such behavior from Comcast. I don't have any experience with Comcast, but Cox Communications has been good to me, thus far. If I were a Comcast customer, I'd be pretty angered.

I dropped Comcast 2 months ago for Wide Open West, and the service is far, far better - not to mention cheaper. Wish I would have switched years ago.

I've now got phone (with battery backup for the phone on the modem in case the power goes out), internet, and digital cable for less than I was paying for just internet and digital cable with Comcast.

My upload speed has more than doubled, and I can count on one hand the number of times the internet has gone out since December - and even then, it's only for a minute or so. Prior to that, it got so bad with Comcast that at the end I was losing my internet half a dozen times a day.

Shit service, shit company.

it really sucks how local cable companies have a monopoly over you.

I have Cox cable here in RI... I live in the southern part of the state, we had to wait an additional 2 years for cable modems and digital cable because of some BS with a bridge they were going to tare down. yet the next town over (which happens to be in Mass) had digital cable and high speed internet.

Right now if I wanted to leave cox my only other option is DSL, which is much slower, and isn't available everywhere.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Monopoly in your area, Comcast can do almost whatever they want to you. Someone in Michigan did a study (it was sited in the a newspaper here maybe 3 months ago), where Comcast has signifcantly higher prices where they don't have competition.

I'm glad we have the option for WOW cable. It isn't priced that much better than Comcast, but they are much better to deal with. We dumped Comcast the second that we could.[/quote]

I live in Michigan and I did read that study.

we just switched to comcast, got the triple play, hd, dvr, etc etc. its supposed to be a set price for 1 year, and we were happy after dealing with att & direct tv for the last 18 months.

well 2nd bill arrives, 25 bucks in extra charges for things that were supposedly in the package. wow thanks. cant wait to argue with customer service about this.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']we just switched to comcast, got the triple play, hd, dvr, etc etc. its supposed to be a set price for 1 year, and we were happy after dealing with att & direct tv for the last 18 months.

well 2nd bill arrives, 25 bucks in extra charges for things that were supposedly in the package. wow thanks. cant wait to argue with customer service about this.[/QUOTE]

That's Comcast for you.

Unfortunately, I think I'll have to go with them when I move back to Atlanta. Might try to get Direct TV, though. Not too thrilled with either choice.

I hate Comcast and even more pissed off they took over Insight Communications in Lafayette, IN. When people told me about their internet starting to drop often, I said that's Comcast for you. That's why I'm glad I'll be graduating college this year so I can get away from Comcast. I hated them in my hometown too, but we switched to Verizon FiOS as soon as possible. It's funny because my Dad is one of the FiOS people now (I may work there with him) and they have so many orders they just can't fill all, since people are so fed up with Comcast.

Comcast is starting to have a monopoly in my state.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I hate Comcast and even more pissed off they took over Insight Communications in Lafayette, IN. When people told me about their internet starting to drop often, I said that's Comcast for you. That's why I'm glad I'll be graduating college this year so I can get away from Comcast. I hated them in my hometown too, but we switched to Verizon FiOS as soon as possible. It's funny because my Dad is one of the FiOS people now (I may work there with him) and they have so many orders they just can't fill all, since people are so fed up with Comcast.

Comcast is starting to have a monopoly in my state.[/QUOTE]

Comcast finally took over in Lafayette? I worked there last summer, and it was rumored that it was going to be taken over, just didn't know when.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I hate comcast. A lot. Like most its the only option in these parts but recently they upped their prices but stopped some services.

How does that even work. You take away service that used to be included but then you up the price.[/QUOTE]

comcast said they did this cause they need room for HD channels. here they dropped 18 of the 36 movie channles but jacked up the rates LOL

If Comcast were the only choice for high-speed in my area, I'd be more concerned, but since I don't watch much cable other than wrestling, it doesn't bother me much. I'd rather watch my DVDs or Live Marketplace content, or Youtube.

[quote name='docvinh']Comcast finally took over in Lafayette? I worked there last summer, and it was rumored that it was going to be taken over, just didn't know when.[/QUOTE]Yeah, just happened at the beginning of this year. They sent me numerous letters telling me they've been serving Indiana for over 20 years or something. I'm like, 20 years of terrible cable service. The quality of my cable at my apartment is terrible. At home, the quality of my FiOS is great.

I hope I get out soon enough because I have a feeling Comcast is going to ditch the $20 cable service I'm getting right now (where I get 24 channels).

Comcast made a deal with my town to be the only cable company here. They bribed them by giving our high school their own tv channel (wow it sucks). Hopefully Verizon or whoever shows up soon with their fibre optics. Ill drop Comcast in a heart beat the day I get the email saying they are here.

Comcast Sucks i live in dc and they are the only cable company on my part of town. Rcn Services only certain parts of dc. I cant wait until i am able to get fios.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, just happened at the beginning of this year. They sent me numerous letters telling me they've been serving Indiana for over 20 years or something. I'm like, 20 years of terrible cable service. The quality of my cable at my apartment is terrible. At home, the quality of my FiOS is great.

I hope I get out soon enough because I have a feeling Comcast is going to ditch the $20 cable service I'm getting right now (where I get 24 channels).[/quote]

Same here--central Indiana and Comcast is getting ready to screw us cable customers over. I have basic cable and I've seen that many of my channels will now be gone.

Insight was (and still is) a great company. I'm highly disappointed that Comcast is taking over.

Comcast took over Insight here in town not too long ago.

Ipconfig says I'm still on insightbb.com, but we now have Comcast cable.

Doesn't bother me much, since I pay my apartment to provide both services (and I haven't seen a change in quality).

I have bellsouth DSL instead of comcast's cable, though i do have cable tv with them because it's all i can get. I have to say that bellsouth isn't much better, their customer "service" isn't much of a service.

This is unbelievable crap. My media prof was one of the organizers of the event and invited me to come up for it, but I was unable to attend. Additionally, Comcast was paying people to sit in the audience and applaud them.

WTF is this shit?
http://consumerist.com/362099/comcast-will-charge-you-2-to-stop-sending-you-junk-mail

I noticed a $1.99 "change of service" charge on my most recent Comcast bill. During an online chat, a Comcast rep explained the source of the fee:

"It looks like on 2/5/08 you contacted us and requested to have all direct mailers stopped on your account. There is a one time "Change of service" fee associated with making that change on the account."

I had in fact called Comcast a few weeks earlier and asked them to stop sending me anything except a monthly bill. They were happy to do so, but had not told me that they would try and stick me for $2. They rep removed the fee from my bill.

Your readers might want to be on the lookout for bogus charges on their Comcast bill if they've ever spoken to Comcast on the phone. Perhaps this is how they pay for people to fill seats for them at FCC
hearings.

-Ian

Funny. Just moved to Comcast and things have been great so far. Verizon has been shit for years ( at least for me).

[quote name='GTzerO']Funny. Just moved to Comcast and things have been great so far. Verizon has been shit for years ( at least for me).[/QUOTE]

It will be, it will be.... for a couple months. Then, be prepared for a shitfest.

[quote name='CrimGhost']fuck Comcast, I'm making my own internet.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I'm with this guy!

Right now I'm at college (where I constantly lag on xbox live but get ridiculous DL speeds, go figure) but at home we have time warner cable and it's terrible. Adelphia was so much better up until they went under.

The Comcast ads are honest in one way.

They always show the Comcast employees goofing off - breeding rabbits, exercising, comparing facial hair.

I always wondered where all those special charges were coming from...

also in central indiana where comcast took over insight and am interested to see what changes on my internet, my cable tv service changed very little ( main menu changed) I was kinda hoping some changes would be made to make it a little more colorful, my internet should be changing soon and although I have NEVER had any problems with my cable high speed internet, reading some of the other posts has me beginning to worry.....

Thing is there is no perfect service.....Around here its Comcast, or AT&T Fios or DSL depending on where you rae..and the FIOS serivice is the same as cable, 6megs down..not the 20 or 30 or whatever crazy fat pipe that Verizon offers.

Problem is the service is still messed up, you HAVE to get the cable with the FIOS I-net, and last I checked you could only stream 1 HD channel at a time...meaning if you switched over to a HD channel, every TV in the house got the same channel (or something retarded like that).

Oh well..the advantage is that as soon as high speed FIOS (20mbit) becomes the norm, everyone will have an option.

DirecTV is starting to piss me right off, too. They upped the monthly fee, took away 2 or more of our HD channels that were in our package, and put them into a 5-channel "premium HD" pack that they want to charge an extra $4.99 for.

Around here, I guess there is some chaos going on with Comcast and the sports packages (Center Ice specifically) that people can subscribe to.

bread's done
Back