XBLA - Braid - 1200pts

CokeCola

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)

Looking like this will be 1200 points:
[quote name='Kotaku, via D4rkewolfe']Those of you adding Microsoft points to your account for the upcoming releases of Braid and Castle Crashers this month might want to add a few more than the 800 a shot we're used to. According to the official Japanese Xbox 360 blog, August 6th's Braid will be setting gamers back 1200 Microsoft Points ($15), with Castle Crashes weighing in at 1800 Points ($22.50?) - the most expensive Live Arcade game yet. Note that these are Japanese prices, while also noting that they generally coincide with European and North American prices.[/QUOTE]

http://kotaku.com/5030926/castle-crashers-and-braid-pricey-for-xbla-titles

Features

Braid is a puzzle-platformer, drawn in a painterly style, where the player manipulates the flow of time in strange and unusual ways. From a house in the city, journey to a series of worlds and solve puzzles to rescue an abducted princess. In each world, you have a different power to affect the way time behaves, and it is time's strangeness that creates the puzzles. The time behaviors include: the ability to rewind, objects that are immune to being rewound, time that is tied to space, parallel realities, time dilation, and perhaps more. Braid treats your time and attention as precious; there is no filler in this game. Every puzzle shows you something new and interesting about the game world.

• Forgiving yet challenging gameplay: Braid is a 2-D platform game where you can never die and never lose. Despite this, Braid is challenging—but the challenge is about solving puzzles, rather than forcing you to replay tricky jumps.
  • Rich puzzle environment: Travel through a series of worlds searching for puzzle pieces, then solving puzzles by manipulating time: rewinding, creating parallel universes, setting up pockets of dilated time. The gameplay feels fresh and new; the puzzles are meant to inspire new ways of thinking.
  • Aesthetic design: A painterly art style and lush, organic soundtrack complement the unique gameplay.
  • Nonlinear story: A nonlinear fiction links the various worlds and provides real-world metaphors for your time manipulations; in turn, your time manipulations are projections of the real-world themes into playful "what-if" universes where consequences can be explored.
  • Nonlinear gameplay: The game doesn't force you to solve puzzles in order to proceed. If you can't figure something out, just play onward and return to that puzzle later.

Achievements: http://www.achieve360points.com/game/braid/

Braid is apparently coming out for PC and Xbox Live Arcade this spring, yet we have no topic for it. I haven't been watching it, but Jeff Gerstmann recently brought it up on Giant Bomb, and reminded me that I had heard of it. Gerstmann's quick preview makes it sound pretty neat - a Mario-throwback with with all kinds of time-control-based gameplay.

What really has me interested is that the art is being overseen (completely made?) by David Hellman, formerly of the web-comic A Lesson is Learned But the Damage is Irreversible. He's got a fantastically surreal style that seems to be really ingrained in this game. If the entirety of the game is as beautiful as everything else I've seen from Hellman, the visuals alone will be worth the cost of admission.

Preview/crazy rant:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/121382.html

You can see news about the game at the Official Site, or read up on the art in this overview or go more in depth with Hellman's blog postings.

detail_procession.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This title can't come out soon enough for me. Everything I've seen and read so far about the game is enticing. Let's hope this title doesn't get pushed into summer or fall (where it could get lost in the pre-Holiday rush).

Really want to try this game out. I've been looking forward to it for a little while now. Hopefully it's worth it!

i will definitely try the demo. the art style isn't exactly making me excited at all...hopefully gameplay is good for this to be a purchase.

Does anyone think this is going to be more than 800pts? I've been waiting for this and I have a bad feeling it's going to be a lot more points than I'm willing to pay, hopefully it's 800 though.

[quote name='FrankySox']Does anyone think this is going to be more than 800pts? I've been waiting for this and I have a bad feeling it's going to be a lot more points than I'm willing to pay, hopefully it's 800 though.[/quote]

No, I don't see braid being more then 800 points. I'm definitely trying out the demo for this one, if the demo is superb I'll pick it up.

[quote name='FrankySox']Does anyone think this is going to be more than 800pts? I've been waiting for this and I have a bad feeling it's going to be a lot more points than I'm willing to pay, hopefully it's 800 though.[/quote]

Yeah, I also do not see Braid costing more than 800 points. If it's more, say 1200, I probably won't buy it.

Saw 1up's hands on a while ago, and it looked pretty cool. I will try the demo before I decide to buy tho.

[quote name='ighosty']Saw 1up's hands on a while ago, and it looked pretty cool. I will try the demo before I decide to buy tho.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here. It did look pretty damn cool.

Just in case people want to see the rumored prices.

http://kotaku.com/5030926/castle-crashers-and-braid-pricey-for-xbla-titles

[quote name='Kotaku']Those of you adding Microsoft points to your account for the upcoming releases of Braid and Castle Crashers this month might want to add a few more than the 800 a shot we're used to. According to the official Japanese Xbox 360 blog, August 6th's Braid will be setting gamers back 1200 Microsoft Points ($15), with Castle Crashes weighing in at 1800 Points ($22.50?) - the most expensive Live Arcade game yet. Note that these are Japanese prices, while also noting that they generally coincide with European and North American prices.[/quote]

wow! I was moderately interested in this game and would have tried it for 800 points... but $15 is just too much. more than 20 dollars for castle crashers?!?! sadly, i hope that both of those games flop at that price.

[quote name='chasemurata']Yeah, I also do not see Braid costing more than 800 points. If it's more, say 1200, I probably won't buy it.[/quote]

While Braid looks interesting and the gameplay seems pretty innovative, I don't know if I can justify buying it at its rumored price. Here's hoping it's actually 800 points.

Meh, it seems really gimimicky to me. If they can implement those things in real, solid, platforming environments, maybe I'd think about purchasing at 800 pts. No way at 1200. My theory though, is the levels will center around these "concepts" they've made an be fairly generic otherwise. If that's the case, I'd pass at even 400 and let a proper developer take a shot at these ideas.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so, can CAGs here finally respect some conceptual art gaming for once?[/QUOTE]

I'm convinced the problem is that half of CAG doesn't even actually play their games.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so, can CAGs here finally respect some conceptual art gaming for once?[/QUOTE]
That wasn't too arrogant.

You tried to accomplish a few things in that remark:

1.) Setting yourself aside from the CAG community, in order to
2.) Display that you have a respect for conceptual arts, which
3.) Shows that you are the only one who appreciates conceptual art here, at the expense of
4.) Saying that CAGs, as a whole, do not -- "can CAGs here finally respect some conceptual art gaming for once?"

Yeah. I need some glasses, alright.

wow, I was kinda looking forward to this too. 1200 pts? that's nuts. Ah well, I'll prolly get it anyway, thanks to the rediculous pile of cheap pts I got from the Target coupon fiasco.

cheap points at Target next week make the 1200 price go down easier. that's only $11.25 which is close enough to the $10 most of you want to pay.

i'm definitely picking this up Wednesday. then again, this is my favorite genre, so i probably would have paid 1600.

Sigh.
Well, of course I'll try it, but still. If anything, it better be at least a long game. I'm hoping for at LEAST 8-10 hours?! I know that's not very long, but still!

I'm pretty angry at Microsoft for denying that it would be 1200 points originally... just to turn around and now say it will be 1200 points.

[quote name='NateNinja']I'm pretty angry at Microsoft for denying that it would be 1200 points originally... just to turn around and now say it will be 1200 points.[/quote]
Yeah, pretty shady...i mean, just confirm the 1200 points and let us move on. Denying it gave the impression that it would be cheaper than 1200 :(

I am looking forward to trying this out before I drop the 1200pts on it. It looks like a great game.
I recently tried out Omega Five demo and I loved it and then bought it. So the demo is the key to this game.

bread's done
Back