XBLA - Braid - 1200pts

[quote name='mrcheapo11']http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/896/896131p1.html

Confirmed to be 1200 pts :(
Beat by LP

Will still pick this up though, as I think it looks like great platforming fun. I've wasted money on plenty of shitty games, so I might as well pull the trigger on what looks to be a great game :) I just hope this doesn't mean Castle Crashers will be 1200+[/quote]

I think this is an indication that Castle Crashers will indeed be tagged with a price of at least 1600 points. Consider all its content, and I sincerely doubt we'll see Castle Crashers under the 1600 point mark.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I thought castle crashers was 800 pts?[/quote]

The price hasn't been announced. Last week, there was some thing from a Japanese ad or something that listed the game at 1800 points($22.50). It was of course denied saying pricing hadn't been announced yet. Based on this, I expect the game to be 1600 points.

If Castle Crashers is 1600, that will be really lame. This POS is 1200, but hopefully, Microsoft will have no control of pricing of Castle Crashers

[quote name='fart_bubble']if true, I think I might be skipping those two.[/QUOTE]

This. Unless the demos are truly amazing. For $15 I could get Call of Duty 2 or 3 from Amazon. For $20 I could get Resistance or Motorstorm from Kmart. Hell I got the PS3 version of the Orange Box for $15 at Target a couple months ago.

I like the fact that independent devs are able to use PSN and XBLA to distribute games that would not otherwise see the light of day but come on, I somehow doubt that either of those games are going to have more gameplay than budget priced retail releases (that I can sell to someone else if I decide I'm done with).

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the widescreen layout and style of the games (2D-ish (?) platformers), i'd love to have these 2 games on my PSP...

For 1200 points, Braid better have a ton of levels, since it looks like a linear game. Thankfully it looks like Target has 1600 point cards on sale for $15 next week. Gonna stock up!

[quote name='Dezuria']For 1200 points, Braid better have a ton of levels, since it looks like a linear game. Thankfully it looks like Target has 1600 point cards on sale for $15 next week. Gonna stock up![/quote]

Ditto, but not for Braid. I believe it has 6 Levels not sure how long they are but damn seriously 1200 points?

I will get Bionic Comando for 800. From what they are saying that looks amazing. I don't know why they just killed this game for a lot of people with that price point.

Sigh, I'm Kind of disappointed in the price point. I was considering buying but 1,200 is a lot specially when bionic commando & Castle Crashers are coming soon.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/896/896371p1.html
Closing Comments
Xbox Live Arcade needs more games like Braid. Heck, gaming on all platforms needs more titles like this. Imaginative, innovative, and engrossing, Braid is a spectacular achievement. If only the experience lasted a little longer and there weren't as many puzzles with singular solutions. Despite its short length and robust pricing ($15), Braid is definitely worth downloading.

9.0 Presentation
The world plays out like a twisted fairy tale and even the hub world feels like a piece of a larger puzzle.
8.5 Graphics
It's like playing through a watercolor painting. Haunting, beautiful, and magical.
8.0 Sound
The music is enchanting, which is important, since there is little in the way of other sounds.
9.0 Gameplay
Highly imaginative puzzles that will give you brain a workout. This is unlike any other game on Xbox 360.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
Great minds will be able to get through fairly quickly. Though there is a Speed Run option after beating Braid, there is little incentive to come back for seconds.
Great OVERALL

After reading the reviews, I feel interested in Braid. My suggestion to everyone is to wait and see if it goes on steam(90% sure it will, penny arcade did and this one has a PC version). If it does, there is a very strong chance it'll be in the steam weekend sales, which should put it at ~$5-10 range.

After reading from IGN that it's a very short game I've decided not to get it. I have more then aplenty microsoft points but now I don't see myself using them for a very short game. I'll just save the points for castle crashers.

[quote name='dim2192']If Castle Crashers is 1600, that will be really lame. This POS is 1200, but hopefully, Microsoft will have no control of pricing of Castle Crashers[/quote]

Piece of shit?? I really don't think you should be calling that unless you have had experience playing it, especially since it looks great and has already got a good review. And MS has 100% control of pricing, as they are the publisher, while The Behemoth can only put their opinions in.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Some of the shortest games on the market are unforgetable so I don't give a shit about the length to be honest.[/quote]

QFT, the length is almost a plus for me, as I would rather enjoy a great game to the end, instead of just getting bored with it and stop playing, as I do with most games.(that are not the best of the best)

[quote name='joshnorm']Ditto, but not for Braid. I believe it has 6 Levels not sure how long they are but damn seriously 1200 points?

I will get Bionic Comando for 800. From what they are saying that looks amazing. I don't know why they just killed this game for a lot of people with that price point.[/quote]

Ditto. I was curious about this game, enough to probably do a blind-buy at 800 points, but with Bionic Commando and CC coming out, I'll save my points for those games.

I've been waiting for Castle Crashers for awhile, but if they stick it above 1200 points, I'm probably not going to bother. I just can't see spending that many points on an Arcade Game.

I'd rather spend $10 on PixlJunk Eden than spend 1200 points on Braid this week, thank you. It's a shame that MS feels they can price things this way. I knew there was trouble when Penny Arcade sold reasonably well. As this game looks nice, I feel kinda bad hoping it'll fail, but for future pricing sake, I sort of do.

Still hopeful that CC will be no more than 1200 points.

And now I have no more interest in Braid and, likely, Castle Crashers. Ten dollars is the absolute max that I'm willing to spend on a digital-only game. If I can't lend/trade/sell the game, then the game had damn well better be cheap. Piss on paying retail prices for what amounts to be a rental.

Don't support Microsoft in taking away our rights of ownership by buying these over-priced games.

I thought this entire "80 points to a dollar" thing was intended to keep most XBLA prices under 4 digits, such that they appear cheap. Once they pass 1000, people aren't going to bother doing the math and adding on the extra 25%; they just plain look too expensive.

This month was looking a lot better before the prices for anything were announced...

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']
Don't support Microsoft in taking away our rights of ownership by buying these over-priced games.[/QUOTE]

Taking away your rights of ownership?! Was Braid announced as a retail game or something?

I can't wait for the bashing on SF HD Remix, that should be 200 points max!!!

Am I the only one who saw this game, and expected it to cost more right at the get-go? It looks like a very artistic, high-profile, well-conceived concept.

We're getting more expensive games now, sure, but when you look at the prices of Roboblitz, Puzzle Quest, Lumines Live!, and Bankshot Billiards (is it Bankshot?), it's actually surprising we've gotten this few $15 games over the services life.

Bionic Commando also proves why MS is so stiff on pricing. Capcom can pull off releasing such an amazingly loaded game for a ridiculously cheap price, but it's more risky for unproven titles that have no established Brand Loyalty, unestablished developers, etc.

And I still think it's funny that so many around here complain, when a lot of people got their 1600 points for $5 to $15. In that case, this game looks like it'll EASILY be worth the $3.75 (VERY EASY!) or $11.25 (Not as Easy..) you're REALLY paying for it!

I'm getting an "Oddworld" vibe from this game, when I look at it. It's not my most anticipated game of the set (of course not!), as this isn't my genre of choice, but I definitely think it looks inspired enough to have a huge following, and to become one of the definitive releases of XBLA.

The whole point of releasing a game is to have it sell well, and when the price is 400 points more than normal, people are going to complain. As you said, it's unproven, so why should be spend an extra $5 on an unproven game when we can get a proven brand for $10 or less? If MS actually had sales on their games, sales would likely b ehigher, but their practice of keeping the price high and never lowering is hurting the image of games, prices, and worst of all, developers.

[quote name='SynGamer']The whole point of releasing a game is to have it sell well, and when the price is 400 points more than normal, people are going to complain. As you said, it's unproven, so why should be spend an extra $5 on an unproven game when we can get a proven brand for $10 or less? If MS actually had sales on their games, sales would likely b ehigher, but their practice of keeping the price high and never lowering is hurting the image of games, prices, and worst of all, developers.[/quote]

Good thing we have Demos, eh? I mean, if the Braid demo doesn't prove it's worth to you, that's one thing. But if the game appears to be of quality after playing it, I just no one turns it aside because of a 5 dollar difference. When we're talking about this level of price, quality should be the deciding factor. Braid is comparable in price to games like Cloning Clyde, the SoTN re-release, and Exit (also a re-release...). So far, I think it looks like it could be worth the few more bucks, to support it's freshly made, high quality music and graphic style. But we will have to wait and see!

Oh, and if what you mean about "Keeping the price high, and never lowering" is how rarely LIVE has things like sales and specials, I have to say, I definitely agree. LIVE needs more Quaterly specials, Reduced prices on games a Year or 2 old, expansions packs reduced to free after enough months to influence sales on stale products, etc. It would be easy to take the XBL marketplace much more seriously if it actually ACTED like a marketplace, and not a stagnant reflection of one!

Lastly, I have to give reference to these 2 previous post:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Some of the shortest games on the market are unforgetable so I don't give a shit about the length to be honest.[/quote]

Definitely agreed.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']QFT, the length is almost a plus for me, as I would rather enjoy a great game to the end, instead of just getting bored with it and stop playing, as I do with most games.(that are not the best of the best)[/quote]

Also agreed! Some games seem to have length just to say "Look, we're a long game!" Assassins Creed is my best example for this recently. It's a gorgeous game, surely, but the repetition of elements is really killing it for me... I feel like often I just wanna scream "GET TO THE POINT!" when doing silly "collect the flag" missions, and saving citizens that say THE SAME THING over and over. And don't get me started on the false game lengthening that is "collect 300 useless flags".... If each assassination came with it's own independent variations on gathering information, and they found a more realistic way to make you see all there is to see (rather than flag collecting), I think the game would be SO many times better, even if it was shorter. I was more drawn to beat Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, than AC, due to it's better paced story development... and I've seen Naruto's story before!

My problem is demos can and are often misleading. Highlighting what's best (or worst) about the game and leaving a flawed impression with the user.

[quote name='SynGamer']My problem is demos can and are often misleading. Highlighting what's best (or worst) about the game and leaving a flawed impression with the user.[/quote]

Given the higher price, I hope the demo is smartly made here. Like, say, offer a simple puzzle/stage from early in the game, and then offer one that shows the games full potential. I thought Schizoid had one of the best Demos ever on XBLA. "This is the basis, and here, also, is a sample of what we're building up to!"

I generally only need a demo to test out the feel and appeal of the game, personally, though. After all these years, I can pretty much trust by now that if the mechanics have a certain feel (Jumping feels right, movement speed is solid, character growth feels fulfilling, enemies are appropriately epic/challenging/well design, etc), that the game is going to be of quality.

But not every gamer has that kinda personal sense developed yet, and THAT's the kind of gamer demos also have to appeal to!

So yeah, I agree, hoping for a solid demo! :applause:

I'd rather play a great game through twice than a longer, mediocre game once.

The 1200 Point thing - if it bothers you, don't support it. If this was a port or a remake, I would probably be a bit more pissed off as well. But this really isn't comparable to Bionic Commando Rearmed. This is an original IP, one that seems to be unique and well designed. I will gladly pay 15 bucks for it if it lives up to its promises.

So that is the key for me. The demo itself needs to be fleshed out enough to show off the promise that this title should have. If it can convince me that all the hype is correct and there is justification for paying more for it, I will do so.

Look at Portal. I would have gladly dropped 40 bucks on that title alone. I got many hours of fun from it, even though the game itself is no longer than a few hours. If Braid can capture half the magic Portal did, than it will be a steal for 15.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']justified...

http://kotaku.com/5033567/braid-priced-high-to-prevent-the-space-giraffe-problem
.[/QUOTE]

That's the most inane article I may have ever read. Space Giraffe didn't sell poorly because it had a low price, it sold poorly because it was a piece of SHIT. One spin of that demo told any sensible gamer that the game was at least borderline unplayable.
Even if you accept that incredibly lame argument, it does nothing to explain why the game wasn't priced at 800 points like we all expected. And the argument that if it were priced differently it might end up like Psychonauts or BG&E is absurd. Does anyone think those two games would have been more successful if they had launched at a $75 price point instead of $50? I sure don't.

The bottom line is that this may indeed be a great game, albiet a short one, but I'm pretty confident that they've made a huge mistake pricing it at 50% higher than almost all the other arcade games (especially after the huge hit that GW2 already is less than a week after its 800 point launch). I think this game may not have been a smashing sucess even at 800 points, but will really get hurt with a 1200 point price. I'll be watching 360voice to see what the purchase rate is...

"There is a significant possibility that Braid would have been the next Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil (critically acclaimed but nobody played it)," Blow contends "Even at $10."

That's a bold claim. But it almost sounds like he's expecting it to fail and so he's okay with fleecing the buyers that are willing to support him.

Price it however you want. But just know you're losing out on a lot of sales by going over the normal 800 pts mark. You've already got an uphill battle being sandwiched between Geometry Wars 2 and Bionic Commando.

I'll try the demo. But Braid will have to impress the shit out of me before I commit 1200 points.

I'd be a tad more pissed if Target wasn't having their 1600 points cards for $15 next week. As is though, 1200 points might not be so bad.

Not that it matters, got a red ring tonight while playing Geo Wars :( You'll all have to let me know of how good it is, cause I'm not gonna be trying it for a few weeks.

nope, still not paying more than 800 points on any game in the arcade. If it gets a price cut, maybe I'll pick it up but if not, its no hair off my nuts

[quote name='Megaten']I'd be a tad more pissed if Target wasn't having their 1600 points cards for $15 next week.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for mentioning that. I hadn't checked Speedy's thread in a while. Time to stock up on points again I guess. And yeah, that does make the 1200 point cost a bit easier to swallow.

Can't wait to try the demo for this one.

So Bionic Commando and what else to use my last 800 points on.

Sorry, but I gotta eat too. I can eat an entire day on $5 is done properly. This dick can eat my ass if he thinks his games are going to be anything legendary like BG&E and Psychonauts. He can't even make a tripped out space shooter fun. Or good. The demo will have to blow me away if I am going to piss away $15.

[quote name='Kendal']He can't even make a tripped out space shooter fun. Or good.[/QUOTE]

you do know he had nothing to do with Space Giraffe right?

You can think he's a complete fucking douche bag (I do) but at least get your facts right

eurogamer review 10/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=205102
I almost never give out full marks, generally reserving that honour for retro games that have proven their worth many times over, but Braid has me in its spell. Judged purely as a game, it's cunning, ingenious and endlessly surprising. The puzzles are varied, the level design is revelatory and the whole thing clicks together like clockwork. For those only interested in gameplay, it's simply an excellent puzzler-cum-platformer. But there's so much more here, a desire to create a game experience that is more than mere technical craft. That it succeeds in creating an abstract emotional experience, one where each player can find their own level of meaning and personal context, all within the confines of the 2D platformer, is perhaps the most astonishing achievement of all.

these RIDICULOUSLY GOOD impressions are basically selling me on braid and i just realized id technically be getting the game for 700 pts since i got 400 from 7-11 and an unused 100 or 200 points from the MS car challenge lol

games up!
1st off...BRAID IS GORGEOUS
and my brain hurts from attempting to figure out how to get some of those damn puzzle pieces >

Just played the demo, not really that great, not worth the 1,200 IMO.

The time mechanic is very nice, and the artsy style works well, but overall, I just didn't find it all that fun. It has great ideas, but just doesn't put them to great use, is what I'd say - the puzzles also seemed to work well, in some places.. and in others, not so much.

I dunno, I just didn't feel that "spark" that reviewers are talking about. It might just be me, it might just be because it's 4:40AM where I am and I'm going on no sleep, or it might be something else, but as of right now, I'm really not that impressed with the game.

i figured out how to get all of the puzzle pieces in world 4 in the demo
edit:eek:k got all of them but that the last piece in sky bridge woo

Wow, very impressed. I really like the art style and gameplay mechanics. Also, the fact that this whole game is a love letter to Super Mario Bros. is pretty cool. Will definitely be downloading this sunday (Target's sale on MS points).

It is a fun game, but I can tell it's very short. I took me less than a half hour to finish everything there was to do in the demo, and it doesn't look like there's THAT much more. Plus the time "bending" is not creative IMHO. Unless they start making it do more, it does next to nothing other than making you restart a level if you die. I do love the art style though. It's very beautiful. No way I'm buying this until the price cut. I've waited long for better games :D

Can someone tell me how to get the last two puzzle pieces on Cloud Bridge in World 2?
It's making me crazy!

bread's done
Back