XBLA - Braid - 1200pts

[quote name='zewone']That makes sense.

I initially thought you pulled it out of your ass, like most things you state.[/quote]

at least I have a reliable dimentia source ;)

Oh snap! It's on!

Anyway, i tried the demo again and the biggest flaw i see is the lack of replay value. Once you beat a puzzle, you know how to do it from here on out (unless they change somehow) and that essentially ruins the replay value for this game. Add to that no multiplayer (that i know of) and the 1200 point price tag is a bit high. 800 points...i'd think about buying this game, 400 points definitely. But 1200 points is a quick and simple NO :( Sad, since i was really enjoying the music and art.

Interesting, sure, but certainly not worth $15.

It looks like Rolento's praise of the game is already super old. :/

Did anyone else get the strange feeling they were playing the original super mario bros for the NES? The demo was fun and pretty to look at but, at $15!? What the heck?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']All I can say is that this game. weather you like it or not, is already a large piece in the healthy growth of gaming.

It'll be something that will be more respected in the long run than initially.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Braid is finitely one of the most unique titles on XBLA.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'll stop defending this... I'd rather not be a grind for some of you ;)[/quote]
One would think that if the game is as good as you say it is, that you wouldn't have time to defend it as much as you have ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']One would think that if the game is as good as you say it is, that you wouldn't have time to defend it as much as you have ;)[/quote]

it's by no means a long game nor does it constantly nab at having to play it, but I know what you're getting at :lol:

[quote name='SynGamer']Or they could lower their prices...this is all stemming from the fact that MS has never had a XBLA sale to my knowledge. So the prices these games come out at are what we are going to have to pay now and in the future.[/quote]

They HAVE had sales, granted they have been few and far between. Off the top of my head, there was that weekend/week? of Dig-Dug, Gauntlet, Small Arms, and Zuma being 1/2 off. Also Battlestar Galactica was also 1/2 off during some weekend.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
0 fun in geometry wars.[/quote]
I would like to agree with this statement, of course, maybe it's just because I suck at the game =/

Anyways, this game is absolutely amazing. Already one of my favorite XBLA games, and it certainly gets a lot more challenging as you go on. I already spent a few hours playing this, not even realizing how much time had gone by. The game itself amazes me with how great it looks and how creative it is. I'd say it's worth the $15 just because of it being unlike any other game on the 360. Gonna go play some more now :D

[quote name='mrcheapo11']They HAVE had sales, granted they have been few and far between. Off the top of my head, there was that weekend/week? of Dig-Dug, Gauntlet, Small Arms, and Zuma being 1/2 off. Also Battlestar Galactica was also 1/2 off during some weekend. [/quote]
Lol, i think you just made my case even stronger for a 'Platinum Hits' type of discount for Arcade games. Not just discounts/sales on crap games.

[quote name='SynGamer']Lol, i think you just made my case even stronger for a 'Platinum Hits' type of discount for Arcade games. Not just discounts/sales on crap games.[/quote]
Isn't that what the Arcade Hits lineup is for?

[quote name='SpazX']But if it's gay wouldn't that mean you...would do it? Shouldn't you say "that's just straight" or something? I'm so confused...[/quote]

haha I was wondering the same thing.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Isn't that what the Arcade Hits lineup is for?[/quote]
Currently there are 8 titles; Assault Heroes, Bankshot Billiards 2, DOOM, Lumines Live!, Puzzle Quest, Marble Blast Ultra, Small Arms, and Zuma Deluxe. Nothing to really get excited over...if you know what i mean.

[quote name='SynGamer']Currently there are 8 titles; Assault Heroes, Bankshot Billiards 2, DOOM, Lumines Live!, Puzzle Quest, Marble Blast Ultra, Small Arms, and Zuma Deluxe. Nothing to really get excited over...if you know what i mean.[/quote]

Doom is on there... i've been temepted to pick that up eventually since it's a good price.

[quote name='SynGamer']Currently there are 8 titles; Assault Heroes, Bankshot Billiards 2, DOOM, Lumines Live!, Puzzle Quest, Marble Blast Ultra, Small Arms, and Zuma Deluxe. Nothing to really get excited over...if you know what i mean.[/quote]
Then why do you have to make a case for it if it's already there?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Then why do you have to make a case for it if it's already there?[/quote]
It's been the same 8 titles for quite some time now, with no new additions last i checked.

to run through the entire game, it takes only a few hours, but to actually get to the end is variable. I'd say at most 5-6 hours but the pacing of the game would be ruined if longer.

[quote name='SynGamer']One would think that if the game is as good as you say it is, that you wouldn't have time to defend it as much as you have ;)[/QUOTE]

There is no XBLA game that is everyone likes.

It's a shame they priced this at 1200 because it looks like I'd enjoy it, but $15 for an XBLA game is a no-go.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I finished world 6 and nothing happened. I have no idea what to do next.[/quote]

did u get all the puzzle pieces?
also i dont even have the game i just kno u gotta get them all to unlock the final world lol

Did you just "finish" or "solve" up to world 6? I am stuck on several parts in this, but my guess for when you do "solve" everything would be to
go up the ladder at the main world and go into what looks like his study area
That's just a guess though...

Also you unlock the time trial once you finish everything...

If I end up getting some of target's point cards on sale, I'll definitely get Braid. But right now, I just have enough for CC and BCR, so I'll have to wait.

To me, this feels like the perfect length platform'r / puzzler. My Brother and I keep seeing Braid as "The 'Lost Winds' (Wii) of the Xbox 360". Every little time-element puzzle made me smile. I liked the way the game didn't hold your hand, but I could easily see how placing one of those books before a puzzle board would make the game more accessible. For example, before the first board, it could say "You remembered that even the actions of the past, can help you through the challenges of today... they give you a solid foundation."

But I think J.Blow made a game for us 20-some year old people who will get all the little jokes. "The princess is in another castle..." I kinda respect the lack of hand-holding, the "Here are you tools, FIGURE IT OUT!" approach. If this is an artificial way of extending the games length, I prefer this rather than flag collecting! The game isn't THAT hard in the demo, and the "OOOOOO! I GET IT!" feel is more satisfying because you almost feel like you cheated the system when you succeed.

Is this a good game to sell for 15 bucks? As an overall game, surely. It's like a scaled up, inspired, HQ DS / PSP game with many times more refined graphics and sound, but for half of the price. But as an XBLA game... I know so many will see this and say "Gah, no multiplayer, GAH, it's short!" and whine and whine.

Oh, and I don't think Blow was being cocky when he said he doesn't want this game to be like Psychonauts (Critically Acclaimed, but sales-wise, ignored.) The game ALREADY has achieved critical acclaim. He'd be cocky is he ASSUMED they'd say that, but the results are already in!

I still think XBLA should adopt the size limit = price mold of XNA, though. With certain rules to prevent something like N+ from being only say, 2 bucks, lol. (since that game is insanely small.) I think that would help "sell" large games for larger prices concepts to the average consumers.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']did u get all the puzzle pieces?
also i dont even have the game i just kno u gotta get them all to unlock the final world lol[/quote]
No, I only finished it, not beat it. There's no way I can get some of those pieces, so I guess the game will remain unsolved. *shrug*

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No, I only finished it, not beat it. There's no way I can get some of those pieces, so I guess the game will remain unsolved. *shrug*[/quote]

There's supposed to be some huge twist at the end of the game that may be worth checking out, if you liked the story. I haven't seen it for myself. May be worth using a faq to cheat?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No, I only finished it, not beat it. There's no way I can get some of those pieces, so I guess the game will remain unsolved. *shrug*[/quote]

Nah, I thought the same thing on some pieces but I just kept thinking and trying different things until the solution clicked. Don't give up so easily.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']to run through the entire game, it takes only a few hours, but to actually get to the end is variable. I'd say at most 5-6 hours but the pacing of the game would be ruined if longer.[/quote]

that sounds perfect actually. I don't know if the price is so bad for that length... this game is being compared to portal a 3 hour experience that I'd gladly pay $20 for. Penny Arcade was a similar length and it was $20, although probably not worth $20. This game seems way more polished and deeper than cloning clyde a game I felt was worth $10. It's unfortunate arcade titles are at a set price (almost never on sale or discounted), but this seems reasonable for the msrp. I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm a little on the fence because of the price and replay value... but I like puzzle games and this seems very innovative.

I'm sure I'll end up buying this in the next day or two after I remind myself of all the MS points I got from the Target deal. ;)

I just tried the demo and finished World 2. I like it but the character and monster designs are awful and the jumping distance feels kinda short. The puzzle aspect is great after collecting all the pieces of World 2, although again, for a mechanic that's so important, jumping isn't perfect.

I'm not willing to spend 1200 points on this but if they drop it, I'll probably go and buy it. That's the feeling I have right now but with 4800 points saved up, I'm bound to use it on something. Geometry Wars 2 maybe?

Just played through and finished world 2...very good game, can't stand the art style though or the price. Unsure if I'll pick it up at the moment.

So what's up with World 1? Is it accessible from the demo?

played the demo, I liked this game better when I played it the first time and it was called prince of persia: the sands of time

[quote name='SteveGo']played the demo, I liked this game better when I played it the first time and it was called prince of persia: the sands of time[/QUOTE]

This is a sequeL?

Hardly like POP.

Yeah, it's coming out on the PC, but they haven't announced a date for it yet.

I tried the demo. Really cool painterly 2D graphics and fun gameplay. Still, I'm not going to drop $15 on a download where I won't have a physical copy. For $10 (800 pts) I probably would.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I like it, but I don't like the price.

I'll wait.[/QUOTE]
That's pretty much the way I feel about it. At 800 points I would have bought it without a second thought, but at 1200 I'm in no rush. I may still pick it up at some point for that price, but maybe not.

I worry that this is MS dipping their toes in the >800 pool, and if games selling at 1200 or more still see decent sales, soon 1200 will be the standard. Who sets the price for Braid, MS or J. Blow? Did Penny Arcade set the 1600 point price? Well, whatever, I still hate to see any game come in over 800.

[quote name='SteveGo']played the demo, I liked this game better when I played it the first time and it was called prince of persia: the sands of time[/quote]

Yes, because a 2D platformer that happens to include a time mechanic is so much like PoP :roll:.

I liked PoP when I played it for the first time and it was called Blinx: The Time Sweeper.

bread's done
Back