WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009

Chase

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)

This other stuff:

Character models for every WWE wrestler in Smackdown vs. Raw 2009. Good for Photoshop-ing, I reckon. Thanks, 7th Number!

This stuff:

IGN gives us an idea of what to expect in Smackdown vs. Raw 2009. So far, it seems like this will be the first Smackdown title I buy since 2006.

This present offering seemed to have focused on improving submissions. Next year's focus appears to be tag team wrestling, and, for the DS, its story mode.

"[T]he biggest change in the action will come with a strong focus on tag teams. For the first time ever, players will be able to team up for co-op storylines in the Road to WrestleMania mode and take advantage of an overhauled tag structure to earn attributes on their way to the top. Tag teams -- both in and out of Road to WrestleMania -- will utilize the same momentum meter, break opponents with double team finishers and make 'hot tags' for the win."

wwesmackdownvsraw2009imze0.jpg

Now, as a lifelong pro-wrestling fan and gamer, I have yearned for create-a-move since the Super Nintendo games, as I was too young to conceive of the idea while playing the NES title. It seems our desires will finally be fulfilled.

"Also making its debut will be Create-A-Finisher, which allows fans to choose from more than 500 animations in their quest to build the ultimate move."

Well, my interest is piqued, Yukes. Here's hoping they continue their yearly progression.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really interested in the co-op season mode and DLC but it'll probably just end up basically feeling like the same game we've been playing for years now (guess that's a good and bad thing).

Its still the same old game engine though. I hope TNAs game is good so I dont even have to bother with this.

And if they want to make their games more like WWE is, why would their main feature be a division that is all but dead now. WWE hasnt cared about tag team wrestling for a good 6 or 7 years now.

DLC will probably just be dumb shit like "Download John Cena's new shirt!!!!" or "Download Funaki's new entrance music!!!!"

Which of course means no more custom soundtracks.

I love the fact that it has Tag Team Career, that is something I've wanted since I used to play with my bro way back in Smackdown 2. :)
Also the Create a Finisher will be pretty cool, now I wont have to do the same spear as everyone else, so it wont look as generic. :) And maybe I can make my guy do something cool before doing a Shooting Star Press.
I just hope they improve over 2008. I really didn't like 2008, I hope they go back to how 2006, 2007 and before were.
And custom soundtracks too. Everyone wants custom soundtracks for wrestling games. That way I can make John Cena come out to a Brittany Spears song.(I dont have any of her songs though:cry:) And my guy come out to a Guns 'N' Roses or Def Leppard song.
And all the legend/TNA caws that I wanna make can have their own music.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']DLC will probably just be dumb shit like "Download John Cena's new shirt!!!!" or "Download Funaki's new entrance music!!!!"
[/QUOTE]
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I will personally buy all CAGs the DLC if Funaki actually gets new entrance music AND it becomes downloadable.

[quote name='musha666']Its still the same old game engine though.[/QUOTE]

Yep. This series needs a massive overhaul.

The hot tags feature sounds like it'll be just another "fill your meter" thing, leading to your partner coming in with a special activated. Create-a-finisher is about the only thing that even vaguely interests me but I bet that'll be disappointing as well.

[quote name='musha666']Its still the same old game engine though.[/QUOTE]

Yep. This series needs a massive overhaul.

The hot tags feature sounds like it'll be just another "fill your meter" thing, leading to your partner coming in with a special activated. Create-a-finisher is about the only thing that even vaguely interests me but I bet that'll be disappointing as well.

Oh, and LOADING TIMES. FIX THEM. THANKS.

[quote name='DJSteel']Any wrestling game without AKI doing their thing isn't a good wrestling game...[/quote]

For me, nothing will be better than the AKI games. There is nothing wrong with copying the best, Yukes. In the last few years, the Kinnikuman and Def Jam games represent AKI's work. Why Yukes hasn't sought counsel from AKI, I do not know. Yukes certainly hasn't improved or revolutionized pro-wrestling video game controls. In fact, I think it's safe to say they have retarded things a bit. I guess this is just a frustrated fan venting.

The only way I'm getting another SvR game is if they do something about the 30 second load times every few seconds. Its rediculous. Load. Menu. Hit start. Load. Select match type. Select wrestler. Load. Entrance one. Load. Entrance two. Load. Entrance X. Load. Match. Load. Victory sequence. Load. Start over.

Training in 2008 was grueling as you'd spend more time loading than actually improving your character.

The new features sound intriguing but I need the following fixes before I consider buying it:

1) Bring stored finishers back.

2) Bring PPV mode back.

3) Bring back the submissions / add new ones. No point is a Submission Wrestler if there's only six submissions in the entire game.

4) Overhaul GM mode. I love the mode, but not only is it stale, but also broken (in 08 at least).

[quote name='guyver2077']day 1 purchase as usual.... along with tna game[/QUOTE]

Thats how i used to be, but I haven't actually enjoyed a wrestling game since the 2nd ps2 Smackdown version.

Am I wierd in placing Day of Reckoning 2 for GC above the SvR series as a whole? I'm curious to know what fans of the series think of the game. It was the only wrestling game that my brother has convinced me to sit down and play, and not being a fighting or wrestling game fan, I think it says a lot of that I went so far as creating a character and training him up.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']And it's funny that they are supposedly going to devote more time into the tag team mode than WWE actually does in real life.[/quote]

Sad, but true. :whistle2:(

[quote name='m3zcl4n']Am I wierd in placing Day of Reckoning 2 for GC above the SvR series as a whole? I'm curious to know what fans of the series think of the game. It was the only wrestling game that my brother has convinced me to sit down and play, and not being a fighting or wrestling game fan, I think it says a lot of that I went so far as creating a character and training him up.[/quote]

DOR2 was amazing. I wish they would of kept that series going.

i kind of miss having 3 different wrestling games coming out at different points of the year.. dor on gc, wrestlemania/raw on xbox, and sd on sony

IGN posted the Box Art for Smackdown Vs Raw 2009, featuring Triple H and Shawn Michaels.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/886/886181p1.html

And the current roster is as follows:

-Batista
-Chris Jericho
-Jeff Hardy
-John Cena
-John Morrison
-Matt Hardy
-The Miz
-Mr. Kennedy
-Randy Orton
-Rey Mysterio
-Triple H
-Shawn Michaels
-Undertaker​

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks neat, so far.

I know everyone doesn't care about this, :roll:, but I hated when the wrestling games started to have limits. Me and my friend would have all kinds of crazy battles. Shit like Undertaker vs Trish Status in a Hell in a Cell. But now, they don't seem to allow women to fight in anything besides normal matches or No DQ.

I just wish they would stop that.

[quote name='lilboo']This looks neat, so far.

I know everyone doesn't care about this, :roll:, but I hated when the wrestling games started to have limits. Me and my friend would have all kinds of crazy battles. Shit like Undertaker vs Trish Status in a Hell in a Cell. But now, they don't seem to allow women to fight in anything besides normal matches or No DQ.

I just wish they would stop that.[/quote]

Yeah in one of the really old ones I would fight everyone as lita, and usually win. :D They do have alot of limits on the newer ones. I also notice you can't make the woman bleed either not like I was trying to... I love the game every year even If it is just somewhat of a updated game. I own ever wrestling game made which may be sad to some,but I love it. I saw this on Ign yesterday,but I forgot about it until now. All I can say is the roster should be way better than it was last year.

Yeah I just hated that the women had limits. Again, I understand most people don't play with them, but I do because I think it's hilarious. I'd love to have a first blood match for the women's championship, :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']This looks neat, so far.

I just wish they would stop that.[/quote]

I share the same feelings. I just hate how the women can't bleed anymore, or be in any other matches, other than singles. Also how they can't fight for any other title, except for the women's title. I guess thats a reason why I loved the older wrestling games like Wrestlemania 2000, and No Mercy for the N64. We would have a great time just creating random battles that would never happen on TV.

Now that there are so many limits, it kind of kills the fun for me. It seems that every year more and more limits are set. The one I always get really bugged about is that women can't be in Royal Rumbles anymore. If we are paying for the game, we should be allowed to set any type of rules we want. Im sure that not much will change in SVR 2009.

I remember the good 'ol days when I could make matches like Mae Young vs Kane in a first blood match.

One of my favorite things to do back on No Mercy was to having a 4 corner McMahon ladder match! Me and my 3 friends would do that for hours. Sometimes we would each be a McMahon and it would be a free for all, or sometimes we'd team up. Linda/Vince vs Shane/Steph, Shane/Vince vs Linda/Steph or Linda/Shane v Vince/Steph!

SO much fun!

The create a finisher looks solid.
Not that much interested about the Co-Op storyline.
Hope they don't screw up the roster.
Hope DLC is good.

And we want Colin Delaney in the game!!! lol

Also in the older games they would always include a lot more women than they do now. Heck even Raw 2 for the xbox had almost the complete diva roster of that time. I know many don't like the divas and say they are a waste of space but I like a cat fight every now and then. At this point I would assume they would be capable of adding a lot more than in the past, but it seems to be the opposite. Just look at last years roster which was less than the previous game.

EDIT: I'm also hoping for a possible Diva Legends DLC that includes classics like Trish, Lita, Chyna, Debra. Im just not that interested in any of the Divas that are in the WWE right now. The only ones I really enjoy watching are Victoria, Melina, Kelly Kelly, and my fav. one Candice Michelle.

[quote name='buterbals']Also in the older games they would always include a lot more women than they do now. Heck even Raw 2 for the xbox had almost the complete diva roster of that time. I know many don't like the divas and say they are a waste of space but I like a cat fight every now and then. At this point I would assume they would be capable of adding a lot more than in the past, but it seems to be the opposite. Just look at last years roster which was less than the previous game.

EDIT: I'm also hoping for a possible Diva Legends DLC that includes classics like Trish, Lita, Chyna, Debra. Im just not that interested in any of the Divas that are in the WWE right now. The only ones I really enjoy watching are Victoria, Melina, Kelly Kelly, and my fav. one Candice Michelle.[/quote]

Debra? How about Sable or Alundra Blaze instead?

[quote name='RawisJericho']Debra? How about Sable or Alundra Blaze instead?[/quote]

I agree with Sable and Luna, but I was a big fan of Debra back when she first started in WWF/WWE with Jeff Jarrett.

Given how Alundra Blayze left the WWF, I don't think there's a chance in hell that she'll be included as DLC in a WWE game (or prominently featured on any WWE product, ever).

need 4 person CO-COP mode and online CO -COP mode

and bigger GM mode

[quote name='starmask2k3']need 4 person CO-COP mode and online CO -COP mode

and bigger GM mode[/quote]

I would also love a 4 player co-op mode. I know RAW 2 wasn't a great game but what I loved about it was the 4 player co-op, even if it was broken and didn't make sense most of the time.

Shawn Michaels still wrestles?

isn't he old I remember him wrestling as a kid many years ago

He's getting up there (almost 43).

I'll probably get this once it drops to ~20 for the 360/PS3. Firepro Returns still takes a massive dump over anything that Yukes has ever made. I actually have a new/sealed copy of WWF No Mercy in my basement but no N64 to play it on :(

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Given how Alundra Blayze left the WWF, I don't think there's a chance in hell that she'll be included as DLC in a WWE game (or prominently featured on any WWE product, ever).[/quote]

Yeah but I was just trying to say there are other people out there that would be better than Debra. I don't really want to see Blaze in the game, I'd really just see the roster spot used for current or former wrestlers.

I'd really like to see Vader in this game though.

This is what Jay was referring to just in case you guys don't remember.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6UWUolS6Z0[/media]

I will like to see more WWF and ECW legends than on 08, much like the legends roster in 07.
And I hope they don't let guys off the roster that deserve to be in the game like Shelton Benjamin, London, Kendrick, etc.

That'll be sweet.

They have to tweak the Tag Aspect though. The most annoying thing in TT (and any non-1-on-1 matches) is going for a pin, only to have it broken up by someone else. Now in the early to mid-match, this is fine & dandy, but this sorta shit goes one for damn near ever. Nothing like playing a 1 hr long TT match because EVERY time you go for a pin, the CPU would break it up.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']That'll be sweet.

They have to tweak the Tag Aspect though. The most annoying thing in TT (and any non-1-on-1 matches) is going for a pin, only to have it broken up by someone else. Now in the early to mid-match, this is fine & dandy, but this sorta shit goes one for damn near ever. Nothing like playing a 1 hr long TT match because EVERY time you go for a pin, the CPU would break it up.[/QUOTE]

That made it IMPOSSIBLE to win a fatal four way or battle royal in raw2 (regret putting so much time into that pos)

[quote name='Foo228']That made it IMPOSSIBLE to win a fatal four way or battle royal in raw2 (regret putting so much time into that pos)[/quote]

Haha yup, also winnning Ladder Matches was near impossible in Raw 2.

The cover looks like a child just slapped Nosey and Michaels into a graphic and tacked on the Smackdown vs. Raw logo. One would figure a game with a tag team focus would put, oh I don't know, tag teams on its cover.

Hopefully, the developers don't limit themselves to recent and WWE tag teams. I can't say I'm a fan of The Hardy Boyz, Too Much, T & A, or APA.

Tag teams I'd like to see featured in the game that would be possible are:

- Samoan SWAT Team (also known as "The Headshrinkers")
- Steiner Brothers (also known as the greatest tag team of all-time)
- Road Warriors
- Hart Foundation
- Brain Busters
- Hollywood Blonds
- British Bulldogs
- Amazing French Canadians
- Doom
- Impact Players
- Rock N' Roll Express
- Harlem Heat
- Eliminators

Just to name a few. If their tag team focus is just teams from 1996 and beyond (i.e., Godwins, New Blackjacks, Headbangers, Bodydonnas, et cetera
), then consider me not interested in that part of the game.

In any event, I am still hyped for the, long-awaited, create-a-move feature. I dislike the engine, but that feature alone will get me to buy it. What we've seen of the feature has fulfilled many wants. :drool:

According to folks on the Fireproclub, this is basically just going to be a WWE Legends deal-signed only game, meaning that a bunch of those guys won't be included, although I'd love to see the Rock 'n Rolls included alongside the Rockers to finally be able to have that match (officially) in a video game.

i'll most likely wait on 09, i was very dissapointed in 08 and the fact that it didn't have manual targeting killed it for me.

[quote name='chasemurata']The cover looks like a child just slapped Nosey and Michaels into a graphic and tacked on the Smackdown vs. Raw logo. One would figure a game with a tag team focus would put, oh I don't know, tag teams on its cover.
[/QUOTE]

Didn't you notice the slight green tint to the artwork chase? Shawn Michaels and HHH together as Degeneration X are quite possibly the greatest tag team ever!

/sarcasm

While the create a finisher might actually be pretty cool, color me uninterested until they get a new engine together and make the game not look like upscaled PS2 graphics.

bread's done
Back