CAG Foreplay #40: Enjoyment is the Point (4/17/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of April 17th, 2008. This week we continue to wonder where all the good releases have gone as we wander across the seemingly endless plains of averageness that April has sprung upon us. And stuff.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for just $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay40.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

Baroque (Last Week) Dev. Sting Pub. Atlus Systems: PS2, Wii MSRP: $39.99
My mind immediately went to figuring out how to fit in the corny punch-line "If it ain't baroque, don't fix it." I even hear the phrase in my dad's voice. This Atlus RPG is based around a world that's been destroyed. Your character was asleep when the big event (AKA The Blaze) occurred, so you have no memory of who you are or what happened. None the less, you set out to determine how to restore your homeland to it's original being (unless, of course, this is how the world was the whole time). Your fellow survivors have been divided into two groups: the baroques, who are crazy but still able to function in society, and the meta-beings, who are just plain crazy. The meta beings are the ones trying to kill you. The RPG elements are all there and fairly standard, but instead of collecting health, you collect vitality points. These are constantly draining as you move about the level, but your health regenerates as long as you have vitality points. If you lose all your vitality points and then your health, you die. Upon death, you're placed back into the world with new dialogue and new interactions with the Baroque based on your previous life. But, you've lost all the stuff you've collected up until that point. There are parts of the story line that can't be achieved without dying. The title is based on the original Baroque, a Saturn RPG also developed by Sting. The cut scenes look like edgy anime. Overall, the great weapons and ever-changing environment make this title look like an Atlus game to buy. Then again, we buy every Atlus game. Nintendo Power game the game a 3/10 with very little explanation, so buy with caution. The only question here is the difference between the PS2 and Wii versions. Rumor has it the controls on the Wii can be classic or with the Wii-mote, but the Wii supposedly offers widescreen and 480p while you only get 480i on the PS2. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Baroque.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

Wii

Dream Pinball 3D Dev. TopWare Pub. Southpeak Interactive Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
This new pinball title features six original tables. The other new twist that has been added in is that the ball changes to different materials (steel, wood, marble) during game play. I'm not sure how this actually affects the game play, but it sounds like it could be slightly annoying. The Wii version controls with the nunchuk/Wii-mote or the classic NES controller. While the graphics are rumored to look decent (60 frames per second), the flipper animation is either "up" or "down" with no real in-between. So all those times you catch the ball on the flipper and slowly flick it elsewhere are a thing of the past. This has apparently been fixed for the DS version which comes out next week. I guess if you're looking for a DS pinball title, this one should work. As far as buying it for your Wii, skip it and buy The William's Collection instead. The PC version has been out as a downloadable since 2006 but was released in box form earlier this year. Bottom line: if you're wiling to pay $20 for 6 new tables, then you must really love pinball. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dream Pinball 3D.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Emergency Mayhem Dev. Supersonic Software Pub. Codemasters Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Sound the alarm, somebody is releasing a collection of mini-games for the Wii! Not only do you get over thirty different crazy arm-waggling experiences, but you also get to drive to the locations of zaniness in every five year old's three favorite vehicles. No, not the A-Team van, KITT, or the General Lee... I'm talking about non-licensed vehicles like fire trucks, police cars, and ambulances. Much like the vehicles of choice, the graphics and art style appear to be dreamt up by kindergardeners, as it is an extremely bland mixture of pseudo cel-shading with horribly plain textures. As much fun as rounding up loose penguins, shooting fire hoses at banana throwing monkeys, and catching people jumping from burning buildings sounds, the videos are pretty lackluster and have me questioning that $40 price tag. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Emergency Mayhem.

MiniCopter: Adventure Flight (Last Week) Dev. Sonic Powered Pub. Aksys Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
The perfect off-season training tool for those guys who fly all manner of things annoyingly close to your head as you walk through the mall during the holidays. In particular, they can hone those remote control helicopter skills by navigating them around household environments. Hopefully a game based on giant inflatable Mylar flying discs is in the works next. Or maybe those old rubberband birds that would flap their wings after you wound up their ass. In all seriousness though, if you are looking to virtually fly around toy helicopters, this is your first chance to do it on current gen consoles. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for MiniCopter: Adventure Flight.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Okami Dev. Clover Studio/Ready at Dawn Pub. Capcom Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Okay, so this game is a port with no new content. So what. Some games were just meant to be played on the Wii, and Okami is one of them. Despite having been released two years ago for the PS2, this adventure title has found new life via the Wii-mote. Beautiful graphics tell the story of Amaterasu, the sun goddess, and her journey to save her world from darkness and evil. When I say beautiful, I mean beautiful in a cel-shaded Japanese water color sort of way. The controls in this adventure title resemble Twilight Princess quite a bit with Amaterasu being controlled with the analog stick and the Wii-mote being used mainly for waggle purposes. Of course, the Wii-mote is also used as a paint brush with which special moves and attacks are created. Depending on the reviewer, the brush controls are either spot-on or less precise than the PS2 version. Power-ups and great collectibles (staples for any adventure title) are speckled throughout the game. The price ($40) is a steal when you're looking at 30+ hours of quality gameplay, so consider this title if you haven't already. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Okami.

Summer Sports: Paradise Island Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
I'm not the only one who got Wii Sports for free when I bought my console am I? Then why do developers consistently feel the need to make inferior versions of something we already have? Well at least it's a different set of sports here with the likes of basketball (not real basketball, but games like "Around the World" and "HORSE"), croquet (hello retirement homes), badminton (insert shuttlecock joke here), horse shoes (starting to wish I hadn't done this parenthesis pattern right about now), and lawn darts (please, please, please let them be the impaling kind). Oh, and I almost forgot, you get a nine hole mini-golf course as well. It actually doesn't sound too bad until you find out that Nintendo Power gave this a 3.5 out of 10. Must've not been the impaling kind. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Summer Sports: Paradise Island.

:wii: Purchase At EB Games $39.99

DS

High School Musical 2: Work This Out! Dev. Disney Interactive Pub. Disney Interactive Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
There's not too much information on High School Musical 2: Work This Out! other than I now want to add "Work This Out!" after the colon in the title of every video game sequel from this point forth. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Ninja Gaiden 2: Work This Out! and Fallout 3: Work This Out! for example. Those will have to wait though, as I know we are all going to be shooting for this game's coveted "Star Dazzle Award". Play as Troy, Sharpay, or whatever other personality you've formed a strong bond with, as you play rhythm games to all ten songs from the movie. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering High School Musical 2: Work This Out! for around $28.50 shipped.

:ds: Purchase At EB Games $29.99
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars Dev. Deep Friend Entertainment Pub. 2K Sports Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Charicatured versions of Major League players take to the field in wacky locations like Alcatraz, the moon, and a picnic table in this arcade style DS game. The majority of the game is controlled with the stylus as you wind-up, throw pitches, and hit by making motions across the screen. There are also power-ups that you can use to wacky it up some more. It seems like a decent enough time, just don't expect much depth in the single player experience and convince your friends to also buy a copy so you can play multiplayer. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Plushees (Last Week) Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Pet simulators that simulate real animals are so last season. This year, everyone wants the pet simulator that simulates fake animals. Oooooh. Sweet. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Plushees.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Rondo of Swords Dev. Success Pub. Atlus Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Atlus is really cranking out the titles lately, especially the turn-based strategy ones. The battle system uses a slightly different approach with the movement of the characters. Instead of just focusing on where you'd like your character directed, you get to select the path that is used to get there. So, instead of just attacking a single enemy, characters are able to attack multiple enemies as they move through the battlefield. There's obviously more strategy to this, as some enemies will be so strong you can't just pass by them. Also, you can use your character's movements for defensive purposes and to pass them by support characters for healing, etc...There are multiple endings based on what your selections were throughout the game. The animation is good and there haven't been any major negatives pointed out in the reviews. So, if you're up for another Atlus title, this one should be solid. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Rondo of Swords for around $28.50 shipped.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Teenage Zombies: Invasion of the Alien Brain Thingys! (Last Week) Dev. InLight Entertainment Pub. Ignition Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
When evil alien brains attack the Earth and control everyone with mind-control ray guns, who you gonna call? Teenage Zombies, of course! This DS adventure platformer has a fun comic-book animation style that fits well with the retro Zombie science-fiction story line. The three main characters (the teenage zombies) each have a specific quality that is used within the game play. One can climb walls, another can span gaps with his skateboard, and the last has an extending arm. Overall the game looks to be a solid buy. The humor can be forced at some times, and the controls are a bit touchy in spots. Overall, not a bad $30 DS title. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Teenage Zombies: Invasion of the Alien Brain Thingys!

:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

PlayStation 3

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue Dev. Polyphony Digital Pub. Sony Systems: PS3 MSRP: $39.99
A confusing beast that is somewhere between a full game and a demo, Gran Turismo 5: Prologue offers less than one-third of the content for two-thirds the cost! From what I gather, this game thingy has six tracks, over seventy cars, and sixteen player online play. It also offers some form of tuning, some drift racing, two-player splitscreen play, and various events. This whole concept and trying to figure out what is there and what is not makes my head hurt, but Gran Turismo fans looking to get their early fix will surely be able to decipher what your getting for your $40. Sony has already stated that there will be major updates to this title through fall of this year, so one thing's for certain, the complete Gran Turismo 5 is a ways off. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Gran Turismo 5: Prologue.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $37.99 (99 cent shipping)

PlayStation 2

Arcana Heart (Last Week) Dev. Ecole Pub. Atlus Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
If you're the kind that is in tune with Sailor Moon cause that cartoon has got the boom and anime babes that make you think the wrong thing, well, Arcana Heart might be right up your alley. Featuring a cast entirely of female characters, this 2D fighter features plenty of girl on girl action. No, not in the dirty way, in the perfectly acceptable school girl fighting a maid sort of way. And instead of pillows, these ladies fight in a Guilty Gear-esque fashion with the aid of selectable "Arcana Spirits". The Arcana are based upon different elements which offer special moves that allow you to slightly tailor the girls to your liking. And with eleven different girls to choose from (ranging from a witch to a vampire to a girl submersed from the waist down in Jello) and eleven different Arcana to pair them with, the possibilities are endless, well not really, but I don't feel like doing the math right now. Calculations withstanding, this looks like it could be a lot of fun if you have a real-world friend who wouldn't be embarrassed to play this with you though. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Arcana Heart.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2 (Last Week) Dev. SNK Playmore Pub. SNK Playmore Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
This SNK budget title revisits the Fatal Fury franchise by compiling Real Bout Fatal Fury, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers. You're basically getting the same game three times with slight differences to move sets and characters. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)

PC

Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut Edition (Last Week) Dev. Ubisoft Montreal Pub. Ubisoft Systems: PC MSRP: $49.99
Apparently Assassin's Creed must've originally released on a week we skipped, so there is no Deja Preview for me to reference here. I'm just going to assume that if you are reading this you know what Assassin's Creed is by now and simply tell you that this Director's Cut Edition adds some exclusive new missions and challenges to an already great game. I hope their exclusive in the not really exclusive way and that we'll see them as DLC on the consoles in the future. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut Edition for $42 shipped.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $41.99 (Free shipping)

Dancing with the Stars Dev. Zoe Mode Pub. Valusoft Systems: PC MSRP: $19.99
What other game gives you the opportunity to dance the Viennese Waltz to "The Final Countdown" with poorly rendered versions of Mario Lopez or Joey Lawrence? - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dancing with the Stars.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Europa Universalis: Rome Dev. Paradox Pub. Paradox Systems: PC MSRP: $49.99
Strategery and culturalization abound in this simulation staged in Ancient Rome. - ship

Best Deal:
Best Buy is offering Europa Universalis: Rome for $40.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Best Buy $39.99

Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection 2008 Dev. Square Enix Pub. Square Enix Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) I'm amazed that it is still profitable to be putting out expansion packs for this game, but I guess the audience is still there. It's the same type of expansion you'd come to expect by now: new locations, new quests, new classes, etc. The Vana'Diel Collection includes the original game and all the expansions including Wings of the Goddess. Maybe the new Dancer job class that allows you to charm enemies with rose petals is enough to get you to visit Vana'Diel again, or maybe it's the tipping point for your first adventure to see what fighting worms and rabbits is all about. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection 2008 for $27.50 shipped.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $26.44 (99 cent shipping)

Half-Life 2: Episode Pack (Last Week) Dev. Valve Pub. Electroinic Arts Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
Half-Life 2: Portal (Last Week) Dev. Valve Pub. Electroinic Arts Systems: PC MSRP: $19.99
Half-Life 2: Team Fortress 2 (Last Week) Dev. Valve Pub. Electroinic Arts Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Gordon Freeman is back and is trying once again to make an impact on the console scene. Although the original Xbox's Half-Life 2 was passable, the unsteady frame rate really hampered console gamers from seeing what all the hubbub was about for a game that is held up among the PC's elite. Well, with this gen's powerful hardware and a little more care put into the port, Half-Life finally seems like it's ready to make some waves in the living room in a serious way. Not only did they include the original Half-Life 2 and its cleverly named episodic expansions (Episode 1 & Episode 2), but there's an all-new first-person adventure game with puzzle elements called "Portal" and the beautifully comic-looking squad-based shooter "Team Fortress 2". There's entirely too much content to talk about in the course of a paragraph and it's clear that Valve and EA want to position this as a viable franchise in the console market. If I were them, I'd have positioned it a few more weeks away from Halo 3. - ship

If you didn't buy it back then, now is your chance to buy it piece meal and show how much you hate value pricing. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for the broken up Orange Box games.

The Sims 2: Double Deluxe Dev. EA Redwood/Maxis Pub. Electroinic Arts Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
This compilation includes The Sims 2, The Sims 2 Nightlife Expansion Pack, The Sims 2 Celebration Stuff Pack, plus a bonus DVD. It's not a bad compilation for $30, and this is the hippest version of the game with all those expansion packs included. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for The Sims 2: Double Deluxe.

:pc: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)

The Sims 2: Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff Dev. EA Redwood/Maxis Pub. Electroinic Arts Systems: PC MSRP: $19.99
Since the title for this expansion pack is excessively descriptive, my preview is short. This is an expansion pack for The Sims 2 that features granite countertops, claw-foot bath tubs, and stainless steel appliances. $20 seems high to me for accessories, but if your Sims are in dire need of a kitchen make-over, what choice do you have? - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
EB/GameStop is offering a free code for an in-game Miss Handy Toilet Roll Holder with your purchase of The Sims 2: Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff. Target is offering the expansion for $16 with an exclusive Virtual Glam Guest Towel Holder and Circuit City is offering the expansion for $15.

:pc: Purchase At EB Games $19.99 (Free code for an in-game Miss Handy Toilet Roll Holder)
:pc: Purchase At Circuit City $14.99
:pc: Purchase At Target $15.99 (Free code for an in-game Virtual Glam Guest Towel Holder)

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Dev. Ubisoft Montreal Pub. Ubisoft Systems: PC MSRP: $49.99
(Deja Preview) Rainbow Six stays in Vegas as the direct sequel to the popular first-person tactical shooter doesn't stray too far from the original. The game now features a more robust leveling-up system that not only tracks your kills for experience points, but also factors in how you go about getting those kills. This leads to unlocking items for your custom character that you might actually find beneficial to your style of play. Also featured this time around is a jump-in/jump-out two player co-op mode that allows players to tackle the full campaign with a buddy without any unneccessary hassle. And off course, all the great multiplayer modes are back so there will be plenty of terrorists to hunt, but a couple new modes have been added to go along with the new weapons, gear, and maps. Nothing about Vegas 2 is going to change your opinion of the series, but if you enjoyed the last game and are simply looking for a more refined way to shoot bad guys in the face, this is a no brainer. - ship

Best Deal:
Circuit City is offering Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for $45.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $48.07 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Circuit City $49.99

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Bases Loaded (Last Week) DSystems: Wii (NES) MSRP: $5
Growing up with the NES, you were either an RBI Baseball guy or a Bases Loaded guy. I preferred the short, chubby arcade style of RBI rather than the extreme realism and cinematic camera angles presented by Bases Loaded, but you couldn't go wrong with either. - ship

Fantasy Zone Systems: Wii (Master System) MSRP: $5
What the classic arcade game Defender would have been like if the designers were tripping on acid. Fly your Opa Opa (a space ship with flapping bird wings) and shoot down the enemy bases to save the bright pink landscape from lots of mini-bosses. - ship

Mega Turrican Systems: Wii (Genesis) MSRP: $8
(Deja Preview) What you would get if you mixed Contra and Metroid and really questionable art direction. Suit up in "Turrican Assault Suit" and shoot and jump until you save the day. - ship

You mean I can get the inferior version of Super Turrican for the same price as Super Turrican, when Super Turrican is already on the Virtual Console?! Sold! - ship

Yoshi's Cookie (Last Week) Systems: Wii (NES) MSRP: $5
Help Mario line up similar looking shortbread cookies in this simplistic match-em-up puzzler. Rotate rows of delicious looking treats either horizontally or vertically and... well, that's pretty much all there is to it. Like the cookies it's based on, it's not terribly exciting, but at the same time it's not terrible either. I mean, you're not going to turn down a shortbread cookie, but at the same time, if there were Peanut Butter Patties or Thin Mints to be had, you wouldn't look twice at Yoshi's Cookie. - ship

Battlezone Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Nothing is worse than having a big, green crack in your window. That was the lesson to be learned in this vector-based tank-battling arcade game. This version includes both the original and a revamped graphics mode for those of you that aren't satisfied with just the colors black and green. Online multiplayer is also added and at only $5, this will probably be a pretty good pickup for fans of this classic. As for me, I was more of a Spectre guy. - ship

Ikaruga (Last Week) Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
One of the most brilliantly simple SHMUPS brings its dual-personality to Xbox Live Arcade with higher resolutions and online play. The entire game rests on the fact that your ship can change between black and white versions on the fly. Doing this enables you to absorb the bullets of the corresponding color while increasing the damage you are dishing out to enemies of the opposite color. Pretty easy concept to grasp, but it gets hectic quickly. Throughout it all though, the most important thing to remember is: if you're talking about the bullets, it matters if your black or white. Shamon. - ship

Rocky & Bullwinkle Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
Much to my suprise, this title isn't a port of an old-school game. Instead, it a new mini-game compilation featuring our favorite moose and squirrel along with Boris, Natasha, and Dudley Do-Right. This game promises to be family friendly but (as fans of the show know) also offers some adult humor. The title supports up to 12 players, but it isn't all that clear if this means local or online. Either way, 100 mini-games for $10 is a great deal. Try the online demo if you think this game might be for you. - mrs. ship

Feedback:Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

I know I mentioned it briefly on the show, but I figured I'd throw a link up here if anyone wanted to to give a listen to CidTalk's movie podcast that she does with her husband. Like I said though, definitely not from Ohio.

www.ascully.com

[quote name='DJSteel']I'm a big fan of Haribo Gummi Bears..[/QUOTE]

You are wrong and pay entirely too much for your stale gummi treats. :)

Although those work wonderfully as ice cream toppers.

[quote name='shipwreck']You are wrong and pay entirely too much for your stale gummi treats. :)

Although those work wonderfully as ice cream toppers.[/quote]

I don't overpay. I usually get like 5 pounds in from my relatives in Germany.. and they aren't stale.. they are supposed to be harder... they are great.. also they make rasberry gummi sharks and more flavors than just the bears..

Shippy, your mic sounds a tad muffled and echoey compared to mrs. shipwreck. what happened there?

The show was cutting off for me around the 24 minute mark - about the point where you were answering the letter about Shipwreck butting in and "helping" Mrs. Shipwreck when she's playing a game.

First time listening to your show. I will take hour of victory off your hands for you. For some reason I really want to play a bad game. Did you have that feeling when you picked it up?

[quote name='shipwreck']You are wrong and pay entirely too much for your stale gummi treats. :)
.[/QUOTE]

Haribo gummi bears are stale? Shipwreck has no taste, confirmed.

I think the Rock would have been a better Gung ho than Brendan Frasier! UGH!

PS- they already made Mummy4...its called "Flight of the Living Dead." Seriously, everyone in that movie was in the Mummy movies

[quote name='LiK']Shippy, your mic sounds a tad muffled and echoey compared to mrs. shipwreck. what happened there?[/QUOTE]

I think that was just me being stuffed up, but I'm not certain since we use the same mic. I could definitely hear what you were talking about though.

Where'd you hear that there'd only be one more update to GT5 Prologue in the fall? They said in a recent chat that they'd be supporting the game with updates, patches, and DLC up to GT5's release next year.

From just finishing a few races, the game's greatly improved in the interface and overall set-up of the game outside of racing. There aren't any license tests here, so once you buy a car, you can hop into races right away. The races are tiered, so you have to beat the races in Class C before tackling the races in Class B, and finally Class A.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Where'd you hear that there'd only be one more update to GT5 Prologue in the fall? They said in a recent chat that they'd be supporting the game with updates, patches, and DLC up to GT5's release next year.

From just finishing a few races, the game's greatly improved in the interface and overall set-up of the game outside of racing. There aren't any license tests here, so once you buy a car, you can hop into races right away. The races are tiered, so you have to beat the races in Class C before tackling the races in Class B, and finally Class A.[/QUOTE]

I meant that there would at least be updates through the fall. I'm sure they'll keep supporting it up until GT5 comes out as they've done a good job of continually updating all their titles online. Glad you're enjoying the game though.

I just wanted to let the Shipwrecks know that even though I don't listen to the CAG Foreplay, I do read the Release Summary every week and always find them to be quite entertaining. Thanks for the hard work you put into that!

[quote name='shipwreck']I meant that there would at least be updates through the fall. I'm sure they'll keep supporting it up until GT5 comes out as they've done a good job of continually updating all their titles online. Glad you're enjoying the game though.[/quote]
I imagine they'll go beyond the fall with updates since they're not even that confident about making their estimate of getting GT5 out next summer, so it would be best for them to keep the community happy by sticking with it.

[quote name='shipwreck']I think that was just me being stuffed up, but I'm not certain since we use the same mic. I could definitely hear what you were talking about though.[/quote]

omg, did you catch the cold from mrs. shipwreck? stop eating gummis and drink some chicken soup. ;)

There is a way to save your items between deaths in Baroque. However, you have to read the manual to find out how. I don't have the game yet but heard about on another podcast. This game is suppose to be a roguelike game like nethack. The starting out at level 1 is part of those types of games. Basically if you like nethack type games you probably like this....maybe.

going to wal-mart to look for the gummis hopefully they have them there. I don't like wal-mart but these sounds like I need to try them.

Ohio accent, bad mike, stuffed up, mouth full of gummi worms...is that why Link turns into a "woof" or it's a mini-"gof" course?

I kid because I love.

Shipwreck, sounds like the helicopter was doing what we pilots call "touch and goes." At least, us airplane pilots. I don't know what those heathen helicopter pilots call them. Anyways, it's a great way to practice both your landings and your take offs.

As for Hour of Victory, BURN IT! Don't trade it in as some poor kid will get it as a cheap gift and will be turned off of video games forever!

[quote name='shipwreck']I know I mentioned it briefly on the show, but I figured I'd throw a link up here if anyone wanted to to give a listen to CidTalk's movie podcast that she does with her husband. Like I said though, definitely not from Ohio.

www.ascully.com[/quote]

Thanks Mr Shipwreck for the link I am Cidtalk's husband (not from ohio, but from Manchester England), I had no idea Cidtalk had submitted a question to your podcast I was sat here listening to this weeks and i heard my website url. I was like wow thats crazy.

Again thanks and I love the show :)

:) I'm not exotic like my husband with his fancy accent. I'm from Missouri, and trust me, I'm not smarter than Shipwreck, or Mrs. Shipwreck!
Thanks for the comments and mention.

Fine Shipwreck, blame me for your purchase of Meet the Robinsons. I thought the game was relatively good, but I did see the movie, so that helped. The best parts of the game were the boss battles and the all powerful Havoc Gloves. Using the Havoc Gloves at certain locations allowed a "Dig Dug" type mini-game to ensue. These levels were actually quite clever and involved quite a bit of strategy. PLAY IT!!!!

Great show, glad you're back in action!!! :)

I have to agree with the Haribo lovers here, they are fantastic gummy bears. But my real weakness comes with the gummy cola bottles...it's a darn good thing I don't frequent the candy shop which is the only place I've found them in bulk locally. Of course, I've never tried Blueberry Hill ones (never heard of 'em) so I may be missing out.

Highlight of the show was hearing that other people drink Big Red. As far as I know, it isn't sold around here (northern Virginia), I've only gotten it in Kentucky and Texas, but when I brought it home once people thought I was nuts.

Glad to see my bank account seems safe this week...guess we'll see what happens next week. :D

/tk

[quote name='meager']Do you really think GT4 Prologue is anything more than the most expensive beta test ever?[/quote]

That's actually not an unfair question, imho. They're clearly still having issues with online as this weekend they had some issue about having to clear your cache to race online. I've played several of the GT games and for the last one, I broke down and bought one of those Logitech Driving Force Pro wheels. Thankfully, it works for the PS3 and it pretty much forces me to buy future GT games just to justify its existence in my house. It sure does make the games more "fun" to play, as using the controller is just awful. As someone mentioned earlier, the license tests (and all the frustration that went with them) are no more. The main restriction now is that you have to finish all the C class races before you can go to the B class, and so on. The challenge levels are pretty much the same as previous games as your starting car can get you through the races, but to come in first on the final race, you have to be awesome or, if you're like me, you have to buy a faster car. It certainly feels a lot smaller than GT4. The tuning/customizations aren't there and there are less cars and tracks. The AI, at least for me so far, doesn't seem improved. Mostly the AI cars will stay on their lines and don't really react to your presence, and you can still do the cheap bumper-car trick to get around corners because of the lack of damage. On the good side, the game looks awesome. I thought GT4 looked great, but now my eyes burn when I look at it. Plus, the in-cockpit view is amazingly cool. It feels like the old Test Drive games of yore! They still haven't mastered curved lines on the tracks though. Am I the only one who notices the straight white lines on the sides and middle of the roads? Also, the people on the side of the road move a little bit now, and they aren't 2D cardboard standups, but they're still unconvincing. Clearly, most of the processing power has gone to the cars. The physics and the details are really amazing. I love watching the suspension move around as you go over the bumps and hills on the courses. And experimenting with speeds and lines and angles is really satisfying. Changing your approach to parts of the course really have tangible effects and are definitely key to winning some of the more challenging races. This is not Burnout, however. Unless you have a racing wheel and you're into a realistic driving experience with cars you'll never get to try in real life (or you're heavily into car porn) you can safely take a pass on this.

bread's done
Back