- - - - -

VIDEOGAME SELLERS TARGETED FRAUD info on half.com / ebay/ amazon

#571 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. He/she actually bought both spyro games I had listed. Last time I sold 2 spyro games together a couple of years back I got hit with a chargeback.

#572 kklems   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1667 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

When was the account registered? Also did they request standard or expediated shipping? In the end it doesn't matter because half.com should back you in the event of a chargeback as long as you have a valid DC#. Just make sure promptly respond to any chargeback information they ask for.

#573 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3304 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Wanted to give you an update on this guy:
Ebay ID: agan1620
Aneal Ganta
31632 Coast Hwy
Apt A
Laguna Beach, CA 92651-6984

So, Ebay/paypal withdrew $45.00 from my account on Jan 22nd.
I responded to this guy's request by basically telling Ebay that I was being scammed. As you all know most cases are immediately defaulted in favor of the buyer, but for whatever reason, they opted to put the case on hold.
Supposedly, their investigation would take 2 weeks.

I waited an entire month, and on Feb 22nd contacted Ebay again (via phone this time). I was told that if I pushed them to make a decision, they would again automatically judge in favor of the buyer. I was told they would send a second request for information, and would make a judgement by March 7th.

So, it took Ebay 45 days to return my funds, and only because after that amount of time the scammer never replied to their requests for information.

I'm going to close my paypal and Ebay accounts, as I find that ridiculous.

#574 Link927   Work In Progress CAGiversary!   3803 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

At least you got your funds back, I know a lot of users here have gotten the short end of the stick

Nothing to see here, move along!

#575 JediJames2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

JediJames2

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Not sure if I should be worried yet or not but I sold the Mass Effect 3 CE on 3/5 (on eBay); guy promptly paid that day and I shipped it out 3/6 once I picked up the game. On 3/7 he sends me a message through eBay saying his address had changed (providing me a new one) and to let him know if I had already shipped it to the old address. eBay username for buyer is melfitz08; feedback of 72 but last activity was in 2010. If it turns out to be a scam I'll post the addresses.

If this isn't a scam what can I do to help this guy? Package has been out of my hands since Tuesday and is scheduled for delivery today.

#576 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3304 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Not sure if I should be worried yet or not but I sold the Mass Effect 3 CE on 3/5 (on eBay); guy promptly paid that day and I shipped it out 3/6 once I picked up the game. On 3/7 he sends me a message through eBay saying his address had changed (providing me a new one) and to let him know if I had already shipped it to the old address. eBay username for buyer is melfitz08; feedback of 72 but last activity was in 2010. If it turns out to be a scam I'll post the addresses.

If this isn't a scam what can I do to help this guy? Package has been out of my hands since Tuesday and is scheduled for delivery today.

Sounds like a scam. After the package is delivered, and it's in his hands, he will likely hit you with a 'never received item' dispute.

Most people switch housing on the last day or first day of the month, and most normal people do not move over night without notice.
At this point your only defense is your tracking number. Keep all exchanges through the Ebay system (not private email), and hope for the best.

#577 slowdive21   CAG/Archivist of Pop Culture CAGiversary!   11259 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

It could be someone that legitimately changed their address. I haven't sold on half for a while, but can you see his address in paypal? If so does it match the one on half? If they match he probably forgot to change his address since he hasn't used his account in 2 years.

If that is the case, you should get the package back as undeliverable.

#578 ragingst0rm6   Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain. CAGiversary!   2118 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

ragingst0rm6

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

If he just recently moved, shouldn't he have have his mail forwarded? (I guess this depends on whether you're using USPS to ship or not. I'm not sure if UPS or Fedex has any sort of mail forwarding service.)

Can anyone confirm if mail forwarding causes any issues with eBay disputes?

#579 slowdive21   CAG/Archivist of Pop Culture CAGiversary!   11259 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

If he just recently moved, shouldn't he have have his mail forwarded? (I guess this depends on whether you're using USPS to ship or not. I'm not sure if UPS or Fedex has any sort of mail forwarding service.)

I think they only forward for 1 year at the PO.

Usually if you ship to the ebay address within the US, you are covered as long as you have DC.

#580 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2044 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Here's another scammer with a hijacked ebay/Half.com account. (Don't be a victim like myself!) Avoid mailing anything you value to :

JIM ROJAS
8002 Cornwall Lane
Tampa, FL 33615

I feel very sad and miserable now ...

FINAL Lowball Sale set to ruin your fun this September! 

animePSP2.jpg

#581 eLefAdEr   All Systems Go CAGiversary!   1413 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hey guys, could use some advice on a recent Half.com sale -- my first. Listed a new Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition and it "sold" within minutes. So of course I am a little wary since it happened so fast and the price at which I listed wasn't the cheapest one available.

To the google...

Buyer has 9 positive feedbacks on eBay, all as a buyer and all positive, but their last activity was in October of 2010. The shipping address provided appears legit but is showing up on Spokeo.com as having 25 residents, so it's clearly an apartment complex -- and yet there is no # of any kind on the shipping address to distinguish it.

So I went ahead and emailed the buyer through the Half.com email system asking them to re-verify their address. There has been no response in 2 days. I'm supposed to ship it out by next Wednesday.

TIA for any suggestions.

edit: I suppose it wouldn't hurt to post the city/state of the shipping address to see if sets off anyone's brain alerts: Columbia, MD

Edited by eLefAdEr, 11 March 2012 - 11:04 PM.

eLefAdEr.png

#582 Link927   Work In Progress CAGiversary!   3803 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

If you havent heard from them for two days, you might consider canceling and refunding the order. Just shoot them an email and state that since you couldnt verify it you're refunding the order, and if they want to buy it again from you they'll need to provide it.

#583 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hey guys, could use some advice on a recent Half.com sale -- my first. Listed a new Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition and it "sold" within minutes. So of course I am a little wary since it happened so fast and the price at which I listed wasn't the cheapest one available.

To the google...

Buyer has 9 positive feedbacks on eBay, all as a buyer and all positive, but their last activity was in October of 2010. The shipping address provided appears legit but is showing up on Spokeo.com as having 25 residents, so it's clearly an apartment complex -- and yet there is no # of any kind on the shipping address to distinguish it.

So I went ahead and emailed the buyer through the Half.com email system asking them to re-verify their address. There has been no response in 2 days. I'm supposed to ship it out by next Wednesday.

TIA for any suggestions.

edit: I suppose it wouldn't hurt to post the city/state of the shipping address to see if sets off anyone's brain alerts: Columbia, MD

I pulled all my half listing recently. Why? Because about 80% of what I sold were for dropshippers. 2, I hardly sold anything on there, shitty traffic.

#584 CAG90210   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

Hi there,

I just sold a game on ebay to a buyer that created his account today with 0 feedback. His paypal address is verified but as per paypal, "the sender of this payment is unverified". I feel a little bit uneasy on this since this is a $50 transaction.

If it's okay, I will post the buyer's address here:

219 N Welch St
scottsville, KY 42164-1031

A google searched showed this as a company address? Any advice on how I should proceed, should I e-mail the buyer and if I should, how should I approach this?

Thanks!
Currently playing:
Gamecube - Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
PS3 - Skyrim
SNES - Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars, saved file corrupted, almost towards the end too :cry:

Recently beaten:
PS3 - Uncharted 3 :applause:
CML
PSP - Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection: Final Fantasy IV

#585 Jack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2139 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hi there,

I just sold a game on ebay to a buyer that created his account today with 0 feedback. His paypal address is verified but as per paypal, "the sender of this payment is unverified". I feel a little bit uneasy on this since this is a $50 transaction.

If it's okay, I will post the buyer's address here:

A google searched showed this as a company address? Any advice on how I should proceed, should I e-mail the buyer and if I should, how should I approach this?

Thanks!

I'd just send it. I've had new, unverified buyers before and didn't have any problems with them. Many people who are new Paypal users or just don't use it very often don't bother verifying their account. Get delivery confirmation and you should be fine.

#586 eLefAdEr   All Systems Go CAGiversary!   1413 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

If you havent heard from them for two days, you might consider canceling and refunding the order. Just shoot them an email and state that since you couldnt verify it you're refunding the order, and if they want to buy it again from you they'll need to provide it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the "buyer" until the end of today and then cancel/refund. Not quite sure how to do that yet but it can't be too hard to figure out.

eLefAdEr.png

#587 JediJames2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

JediJames2

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Buyer said he got into contact with current residents of his old address and had them Return to Sender the package (just got it back today). He wanted me to let him know how much it'll be to ship it back to him at his current address. Am I correct in assuming that if I tell him to just PayPal me the amount to reship it that at that point I will not be covered by eBay/PayPal Seller Protection? Since the original tracking linked to the auction shows it as having been returned to me and all. Any suggestions?

Edit: If I use the Add/Edit Tracking Numbers link by my completed auction to add a new tracking number does anyone know if I would be covered?

#588 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3304 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hmm, looks like I spoke too soon. So, after unfreezing my funds on paypal, they waited another two weeks to close the case...and wait for it...
They now ruled in favor of the scammer. So, if I wasn't sure about closing my accounts before, I will surely do so now.

In the end, there're too many users on Ebay, and losing a single seller/buyer does not really matter to them. So, the chances of anyone winning a case (even if you have all the tracking and facts) is nearly zero.

Here is the info on the scammer (again):
Ebay ID: agan1620
Aneal Ganta
31632 Coast Hwy
Apt A
Laguna Beach, CA 92651-6984

#589 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

^^ Don't let one person deter you from using egay/gaypal. We will all get scammed sooner or later doesn't matter where ebay/amazon/half/glyde. Just forget about it and move foward.

The world is full of filth , we have to learn to live with that.

#590 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

^^ Don't let one person deter you from using egay/gaypal. We will all get scammed sooner or later doesn't matter where ebay/amazon/half/glyde. Just forget about it and move foward.

The world is full of filth , we have to learn to live with that.

someone is insecure ...
or just ignorant
"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#591 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

neither company will do this, only USPS IF the recipient filled out the moving/forwarding form...
"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#592 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

I have this guy on ignore ^^ but wanted to check if he had a new name on the fraud list. But alas , more dribble. I thought he died but I guess not.

BTW: I have a fraudster that didn't buy a video game but bought video game related stuff. Post it here?

#593 Link927   Work In Progress CAGiversary!   3803 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have this guy on ignore ^^ but wanted to check if he had a new name on the fraud list. But alas , more dribble. I thought he died but I guess not.

BTW: I have a fraudster that didn't buy a video game but bought video game related stuff. Post it here?

Might as well, its related. The same people scamming for games will probably scam for guide books or accessories as well.

#594 fullmetal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hey everyone, I need some advice. I sold MLB 12: The Show on 4/9 to ebay user edgull. Looking at his feedback, it looks like he bought 5 other games that day, and about 15 in the last week. Surely, this is a scam, right?

Only through my own ignorance of not knowing that half.com changed their seller payment method have I not shipped out the item yet. I guess it could have saved me. If you all also think this is a scam, I'll post the address.

#595 eLefAdEr   All Systems Go CAGiversary!   1413 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Only through my own ignorance of not knowing that half.com changed their seller payment method have I not shipped out the item yet. I guess it could have saved me. If you all also think this is a scam, I'll post the address.

Do what I did (also suggested in the OP) and send an email asking the buyer to verify their shipping address. If they don't respond in a timely manner, chances are they aren't on the level.

eLefAdEr.png

#596 Bruce Wayne2K   C-A-G CAGiversary!   1770 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Bruce Wayne2K

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Posted this on the BLOCKED BIDDERS LIST thread too. Nice block list to use if you're still an ebay seller

Add this one to the list
kevinpamila

This fucker paid & I sent him an online code. Then a week later he sent me an email asking if I was going to send him a card when I clearly stated in the auction I was sending the code via email in BIG RED letters.

Anyway he said the code I sent him didn't work. I even sent him instructions on how to redeem it - step by step - and came back saying he got 'invalid code'. So I contacted microsoft via chat & I was told the code was valid.

I have 100% feedback and didnt want to deal with him so I refunded the money. I sent him a request to go through with the transaction and he never responded after he got this money.

Has great feedback, so either he's an idiot who cant follow simple directions on how to redeem a code or he bought the code and then wanted to return it and 'claimed' it didn't work.

#597 Link927   Work In Progress CAGiversary!   3803 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Did he redeem the code or was it unused when you had it "returned"?

#598 Bruce Wayne2K   C-A-G CAGiversary!   1770 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Bruce Wayne2K

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

It was still valid. That's why I posted 'idiot who cant follow simple instructions' I know the code I sent was valid because I did a copy and paste from the email I sent him when chatting with MS and also when I redeemed it on my account.

That's why I thought maybe they just decided they didn't want it anymore, but the guy just emailed me and said it didn't work.

#599 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2044 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Another HALF.COM scammer on the prowl again, so beware of shipping any items to :

Oneal Hamiton
110 E Washington Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91103

FINAL Lowball Sale set to ruin your fun this September! 

animePSP2.jpg

#600 outcast529   <3 CAGiversary!   151 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Here's another scammer with a hijacked ebay/Half.com account. (Don't be a victim like myself!) Avoid mailing anything you value to :

JIM ROJAS
8002 Cornwall Lane
Tampa, FL 33615

I feel very sad and miserable now ...

I just got a charge back for a package I shipped out to this SOB as well, I wish I had seen your post sooner. A google search seems to show that he runs a "reshipping" buisness/scam. Supposedly accepting mail at this home address and then reshipping overseas or to another address. Watch out for any orders to that address. They may be to Jim Rojas and/or have a "c/o" portion in the address.

Edited by outcast529, 19 June 2012 - 06:03 PM.