Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence used at Gamestop.com for 24.99

InFlames215

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Spotted this at Gamestop.com and ordered one, praying that the heaven's above will show me pity and I end up with the manual and original case:)

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=42900http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...word&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=subsistence

Use CAG16 + SAVER and it is 20.99 with free shipping. Even better with EDGE.

EDIT: Some people are saying you might just end up with the Essentials version. However, if you notice in the product description, it says it COMES WITH 2 DISCS. So if it comes with one when you get it, well, give them a call. With as much as this game is currently going for on ebay, amazon, and half.com, this is pretty much a decent deal even if it only comes with both discs. And this is especially a good deal for those making mountains of trade-in credit off of the "trade in 2 games get 10 extra bucks" deal... like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it has. Wait for the next 25% off coupon and buy a for sure complete copy if your local store has one, or just pay $30 and get the Essentials if you don't want the second disc.

[quote name='fwacce']or you can buy the Essentials collection and get all 3 for $30 new.[/quote]

But the Subsistence is Essentials is NOT the same as this one:) I wanted the second disc, so I bought it.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']hasn't it been at this price...for a long, loooong time?[/quote]

Ha, just take a swing by ebay or half.com and see how much it goes for. I can't find it any cheaper than this.

the Essentials doesn't have the second disc which has THE REAL Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 games, not the bastardized US version

[quote name='InFlames215']But the Subsistence is Essentials is NOT the same as this one:) I wanted the second disc, so I bought it.[/quote]

However, Gamestop clumps the Essentials disc in with this one, so you very possibly could be getting just one disc from Essentials anyway.

[quote name='thelonepig']However, Gamestop clumps the Essentials disc in with this one, so you very possibly could be getting just one disc from Essentials anyway.[/QUOTE]

That's true. I was in a GS and saw they had MGS3 from the Essentials for sale under the same SKU as the original one, at the same price even. They saw no problem charging $25 for something that's part of a much bigger $30 set new. Good luck on getting the right one.

[quote name='KSHLove']What's the difference between subsistence and snake eater? I used to have MGS3:S but i returned it.[/QUOTE]

Biggest difference in the main game is the free-range camera introduced in Subsistence (it works like the MGS4 camera). Subsistence (non Essentials version) has a second disc with more extras, including the first 2 MSX Metal Gear games.

Besides MG1 and MG2 is there anything else included in the original Subsistence release that can't be found in the Essentials Collection?

The salesperson thought I was an idiot for buying MGS3:Sub when for $5 more I can get all three games. I already own em and I told him, "doesn't the store make more money if I buy this used game over the new $30 set?" I guess he wanted my money so he shut up.

GS also sell the MGS3s in the Essential collection for the same price, so you might get that if you order online instead of the standalone release.

[quote name='mrjelloman']The salesperson thought I was an idiot for buying MGS3:Sub when for $5 more I can get all three games. I already own em and I told him, "doesn't the store make more money if I buy this used game over the new $30 set?" I guess he wanted my money so he shut up.[/QUOTE]
was this at a gamesuck?

This was $20 at the gamestop in Orlando, FL on Turkey Lake Rd south of Sand Lake. It could've been the essentials one though, as it was a gamestop printed case. YMMV.

[quote name='paean']GS also sell the MGS3s in the Essential collection for the same price, so you might get that if you order online instead of the standalone release.[/quote]

It says online that it COMES WITH 2 DISCS. So if I don't get both discs, I will give them hell:)

[quote name='KSHLove']so I'm hearing MGS3:S includes MGS 1-3 on 2 discs + better camera angles?[/quote]

No, the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 for NES. Like the guy said above, these versions are not the US versions, which were "bastardized" as he put it.

These two games are NOT included in the Subsistence in the Essentials collection, and it is the main reason why I haven't bothered with the Essentials.

[quote name='V878']Besides MG1 and MG2 is there anything else included in the original Subsistence release that can't be found in the Essentials Collection?[/QUOTE]

There's an expanded demo theater mode that has some "trailers" of MGS4 and the Metal Gear Raiden parody videos. They're fun, but you'll probably only watch them once. MG1 and MG2 are the real treasures on the second disc.

[quote name='InFlames215']It says online that it COMES WITH 2 DISCS. So if I don't get both discs, I will give them hell:)

No, the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 for NES. Like the guy said above, these versions are not the US versions, which were "bastardized" as he put it.

These two games are NOT included in the Subsistence in the Essentials collection, and it is the main reason why I haven't bothered with the Essentials.[/quote]

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up. I guess I will be picking up a copy of MGS3 afterall

It's been this price for a long time... but I'm really surprised that GS didn't increase the price like they usually do in accordance to eBay price hikes (like they did with Pikmin 2 and Fire Emblem PoR a few months back).

I found this mint at BBV for $20 and since I have so much credit there, it would be no big thing to grab it. Thing is, I already have a complete copy of Subsistence. I almost want to pick it up because it feels shameful to see it sitting on a BBV shelf unsold.

[quote name='Vinny']It's been this price for a long time... but I'm really surprised that GS didn't increase the price like they usually do in accordance to eBay price hikes (like they did with Pikmin 2 and Fire Emblem PoR a few months back).[/quote]

I haven't seen it in stock for quite awhile... which is why I posted:)

Don't forget that the BIG thing that Subsistence had going for it was the online multiplayer on the 2nd disk. You know. The one that they took all the servers down within a year, literally a day after I bought the game. :mad:

Wait? Am I bitter? Oh, yes, I am.

[quote name='emperordahc']Don't forget that the BIG thing that Subsistence had going for it was the online multiplayer on the 2nd disk. You know. The one that they took all the servers down within a year, literally a day after I bought the game. :mad:

Wait? Am I bitter? Oh, yes, I am.[/QUOTE]

50 to 1 the same thing will happen w/ all PSN games over time. That's what having separately run systems means. As soon as profits dip online disappears.

[quote name='TURBO']50 to 1 the same thing will happen w/ all PSN games over time. That's what having separately run systems means. As soon as profits dip online disappears.[/QUOTE]
Totally. I love that I can boot up my 360, pop in an old, unpopular Xbox 1 game (like Links or Worms 4, which I play often) and I know the online servers are still running. PS2/PS3/PC games? It's a gamble.

[quote name='emperordahc']Totally. I love that I can boot up my 360, pop in an old, unpopular Xbox 1 game (like Links or Worms 4, which I play often) and I know the online servers are still running. PS2/PS3/PC games? It's a gamble.[/QUOTE]

except for xbox games run on private server like Steel Battalion or older EA games right? Or that less popular games where you wont find anyone to play with? The PC is much better at finding people to play for older games

[quote name='62t']except for xbox games run on private server like Steel Battalion or older EA games right? Or that less popular games where you wont find anyone to play with? The PC is much better at finding people to play for older games[/QUOTE]
Then explain to me why one of the best selling PC games of last year, World in Conflict, is basically dead online now.

PC games that have huge fanbases like counter strike, battlefield, CoD will have long term support because of players/clans who run their own servers. But as far as variety of older moderately popular games, LIVE is leaps & bounds ahead of all online platforms.

[quote name='TheRodfather']Yeah, that's actually the biggest thing holding PSN back nowadays.[/quote]

How is the inability to play dead games online the biggest thing holding the PSN back? The smaller user base and lack of headsets are both bigger issues.

[quote name='TURBO']Then explain to me why one of the best selling PC games of last year, World in Conflict, is basically dead online now.

PC games that have huge fanbases like counter strike, battlefield, CoD will have long term support because of players/clans who run their own servers. But as far as variety of older moderately popular games, LIVE is leaps & bounds ahead of all online platforms.[/quote]

A dead game is a dead game. I have a bunch of "old" 360 games that I could leave online all day and never find a game. Dead is dead.

Holy shit. I was vacationing in Rehobeth Beach, Delaware and saw a sealed one with the second disc for $15. Passed because I didn't realize its worth anything.
If anyone wants to go pick it up its probably still there, at record and tape traders on the board walk.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']How is the inability to play dead games online the biggest thing holding the PSN back? The smaller user base and lack of headsets are both bigger issues.

A dead game is a dead game. I have a bunch of "old" 360 games that I could leave online all day and never find a game. Dead is dead.[/QUOTE]
Youre missing the point. Take Burnout 2 for instance. IMO an even more fun game than Burnout Paradise.

A game over 5 years old & I can still pop it in and find games easily. I can do that because it's online is indefinite. Who's to say if Burnout Paradise will have online in 5 years, I'd be willing to bet it wont on PSN.

[quote name='V878']Besides MG1 and MG2 is there anything else included in the original Subsistence release that can't be found in the Essentials Collection?[/quote]

As previously mentioned, the demo theater (outtakes). Also, there are extra Snake vs. Monkey missions.

[quote name='InFlames215']It says online that it COMES WITH 2 DISCS. So if I don't get both discs, I will give them hell:)[/quote]

Actually, I don't see where it does say that on their website. Also, they do state that you may not get the original case/manual, and that includes "extras", being soundtracks, bonus discs, etc.

You can always return the game within 7 days to the local GS for your money back, but they're not going to magically pull out a second disc to send to you.

[quote name='thelonepig']As previously mentioned, the demo theater (outtakes). Also, there are extra Snake vs. Monkey missions.

Actually, I don't see where it does say that on their website. Also, they do state that you may not get the original case/manual, and that includes "extras", being soundtracks, bonus discs, etc.[/quote]

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=42900

I don't just make things up, you know:) Look right below the "M" rating, after the text in red. It says "Game contains two discs".

not too much of a deal unless you can get this with some cheap credit! I found myself a copy of the LE for this price

My kmart had this for $20 new last weekend...I passed even new because I just don't need the extras. If it had been $10, I would have bought it. I could get the one disk essentials version for $1.00 used If I really wanted...my local store had several of them there for that price. Apparently a ton of people traded this in, in my area anyways.

[quote name='CaoPi']not too much of a deal unless you can get this with some cheap credit! I found myself a copy of the LE for this price[/quote]

Um.. this is the limited edition?

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']My kmart had this for $20 new last weekend...I passed even new because I just don't need the extras. If it had been $10, I would have bought it. I could get the one disk essentials version for $1.00 used If I really wanted...my local store had several of them there for that price. Apparently a ton of people traded this in, in my area anyways.[/quote]

WOW. If you could get it new for $20, you should buy a couple a and flip it on ebay. A new sealed copy of subsistence will earn you uber cash.

[quote name='InFlames215']http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=42900

I don't just make things up, you know:) Look right below the "M" rating, after the text in red. It says "Game contains two discs".[/quote]

Thanks for pointing it out. I couldn't see it for the life of me. In any case, I hope that you do get both discs. You'll have to keep everyone updated. I'm just not too impressed with the whole of Gamestop. I loved my local store, but moved recently. The now local Gamestop looks like a rummage sale. I've never had good luck purchasing used games online.

[quote name='forumreader']There's an expanded demo theater mode that has some "trailers" of MGS4 and the Metal Gear Raiden parody videos. They're fun, but you'll probably only watch them once. MG1 and MG2 are the real treasures on the second disc.[/quote]Thanks for the answer. Looks like the MGS3 in the Essentials Collection is enough for me.

I went ahead and got me one at Gamestop website, hopefully it arrives ok, thanks for the coupon deals I should check this site more and post, its a good place to help a poor gamer like me

An update for you guys: I received both discs, and they were mint! However, no booklet or original case, as I feared.

I found a website that sells the case and booklet together for 3.99, although they charge quite a bit for shipping. But if a order a bunch of stuff from them... shipping won't be so bad.

[quote name='InFlames215']An update for you guys: I received both discs, and they were mint! However, no booklet or original case, as I feared.

I found a website that sells the case and booklet together for 3.99, although they charge quite a bit for shipping. But if a order a bunch of stuff from them... shipping won't be so bad.[/quote]

Name of the site?? Do they have even older titles too? How about next-gen titles as well?

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Name of the site?? Do they have even older titles too? How about next-gen titles as well?[/QUOTE]

Theres alot from the seller bregamesmmcm3 on ebay too. They have a bunch of manuals, cases, and inserts for sale for the current generation and the last generation. I didn't see much for the psx/SS/N64 generation though.

bread's done
Back