[UPDATED] Onimusha: The Essentials - $30 Bundle - Onimushas 1-3

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
If you read the CAG Blogs then you might have seen my post about 2 $30 game bundles. Well it looks like you can add yet another bundle to that line-up with the "Onimusha: The Essentials" for the PS2.

GameStop has a listing for said bundle at the price point of $30(like the other two) with a release date of September 23rd. The games included in the bundle are not known at this time, but might very well be the first 3 Onimusha games. Perhaps even all 4.

I only have the forth Onimusha game, so I'm very interested in seeing what the bundle has to offer.

UPDATE: The games included are Onimusha 1, 2, and 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm interesting, no dawn of dreams? It would be lacking with 4 my overall favorite. Any news on a new Onimusha game?

I haven't heard anything on Onimusha in a long time. Capcom may use this release to gauge the interest in the series to see if they should revisit it.

[quote name='acecombat']Not a bad deal too bad i hate gamestop;)[/quote]

I doubt it's a "GameStop only" release. Best Buy and Circuit City will most likely get the bundles too.

Yeah, I'd imagine it'll be Onimusha 3, Onimusha Dawn of Dreams and Blade Warriors (or possibly Onimusha 2)

dawn of dreams is some what hard to find new while oni 1 and 2 are very common. Hopefully Capcom will make the right choice.

Hopefully it's the first three games because those are the good ones. Blade Warriors did it's own thing, but Onimusha 4 was only an Onimusha game in name. I hated it.

I'd be surprised if DoD is in there given it's not part of the trilogy and, well, like Cable387 said, it's pretty much an Onimusha game by name only. I'm guessing it'll be three games. $30 for 4 games seems a bit much. 3 games for $30 like MGS or the RE packs make more sense.

Used, yes. New, that's a whole different story. You can't find these things new anymore and Capcom does not profit from used sales. This makes perfect sense since 3 games for $30 averages out to $10 a piece, just a few more bucks and the games are brand new. I'm pretty sure it will be Onimushas 1-3 since it's a trilogy and Capcom did the same thing with Devil May Cry.

Whats wrong with DoD? It's the only Oni I have yet to play... It got pretty decent reviews and I was looking forward to it a lot... just waiting for it to drop to he $15 range... Why do you say it's only Oni by name??

[quote name='Cable387']Hopefully it's the first three games because those are the good ones. Blade Warriors did it's own thing, but Onimusha 4 was only an Onimusha game in name. I hated it.[/quote]

[quote name='Asgardian']Whats wrong with DoD? It's the only Oni I have yet to play... It got pretty decent reviews and I was looking forward to it a lot... just waiting for it to drop to he $15 range... Why do you say it's only Oni by name??[/quote]

Check your local Circuit City's bargain bin. I found my copy there about a year ago for only $17.

I have 1 and 2, waited for 3 to drop before buying but waited too long and I can't find it at local BB/CC/Target stores. But, I haven't really been looking THAT hard.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Used, yes. New, that's a whole different story. You can't find these things new anymore and Capcom does not profit from used sales. This makes perfect sense since 3 games for $30 averages out to $10 a piece, just a few more bucks and the games are brand new. I'm pretty sure it will be Onimushas 1-3 since it's a trilogy and Capcom did the same thing with Devil May Cry.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BlueSwim']Check your local Circuit City's bargain bin. I found my copy there about a year ago for only $17.[/QUOTE]

you are not going to find it a year later. The price on ebay/half is around $30 for a new copy.

Capcom is going to have a hard time selling 1-3 for $30 new when the used would cost less than $10. You can easily find new Onimusah 1 or 2 for less than $10 shipped on ebay. DoD is a different story as it is the hardest Onimusha game to find, cost $15 used and $30 new

[quote name='62t']you are not going to find it a year later. The price on ebay/half is around $30 for a new copy.

Capcom is going to have a hard time selling 1-3 for $30 new when the used would cost less than $10. You can easily find new Onimusah 1 or 2 for less than $10 shipped on ebay. DoD is a different story as it is the hardest Onimusha game to find, cost $15 used and $30 new[/quote]

Damn, I didn't know DoD was that rare.

The fact is that a bundle can look like a "good deal" to the impulse shopper. Reprinting copies should be cheap enough for Capcom to turn a profit with little effort.

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams was decent, but they dumbed everything down to make it easier. Auto-Issen? I mean, come on now.

The compilation will likely be 1-3 and it'd be a good idea to pick it up. They're all very good games, even after all these years. Once you get good with the controls, it'll feel just right.

As for the pricing, I mean, the parts of Hitman can be gotten for under $20 used total. That's only a few dollars less than what the Onimusha bundle would go for. Maybe it'll be added to a Gamedays sale or something like the Hitman bundle was.

[quote name='Asgardian']Whats wrong with DoD? It's the only Oni I have yet to play... It got pretty decent reviews and I was looking forward to it a lot... just waiting for it to drop to he $15 range... Why do you say it's only Oni by name??[/QUOTE]

They turned it into an action game. The story was much weaker than any of the other games IMO. They had auto-issens and combat was nothing to worry about anymore. The combat in the first games had a slower pace, but they were also more strategic and interesting than DoDs typical action game fodder of mashing the attack button as fast as you can.

this would rock if I didn't already own all 3... plus blade warriors... have yet to find a nice copy of DoD used tho... I'd go for that Ratchet & Clank 3 pack if it was real! ;)

Not sure on this as I recently picked up the first two for like $7 from GS used (after EDGE, 25% off used PS2 games, and tax). So depending on what the actual games are... it might not be worth it.

I still wish they'd make a Jak, Sly, and R&C triple pack.

[quote name='Vinny']
I still wish they'd make a Jak, Sly, and R&C triple pack.[/quote]

Or a FFVII collection with the original, dirge of cerberus, and a crisis core ps2 port.

[quote name='briansraregames']Or a FFVII collection with the original, dirge of cerberus, and a crisis core ps2 port.[/quote]

lmao, good luck with that. They'd have to remanufacture PS1 games like they did with the MGS collection, convert a game from PSP to PS2, and bundle these items together for a value pack. Not to mention the fact that picking the titles up individually would go for around $85 together on the cheap end, used. Let's be a bit realistic.

I'd go for a Street Fighter 3-pack. Considering that Capcom seems to be a big proponent of these collections, I could see that happening. Imagine Anniversary+Alpha Anthology+umm... EX3?

[quote name='mrmafia33']any opinions on the series? hows the storyline/gameplay compared to the best? (metal gear solid)[/quote]

The storyline is alright. It's nothing spectacular, but it's definitely enough to keep people engaged. In my personal opinion, 3 is the best of the bunch, integrating two characters, streamlining the combat, adding time travel puzzles, and more. It just felt damn right.

I have a special place in my heart for 2, as there were more character interactions and certain elements of the story changed depending on what items you gave to different characters. It sounds cool, and it was, but it was only done in a passable fashion. I really enjoyed it, though. The combat was a little easier, it seems.

1 is a classic game and has more elements of horror than the other two. This was when Onimusha wasn't really certain what it was going for and was more closely linked to Resident Evil horror style. It's also probably the hardest of the three.

The characters are generally likeable, the combat is well done once you get used to it, and each one has a unique and different feel to it. If I didn't already have all three of the titles individually, I'd definitely pick up the set. Hell, I may pick it up as gifts for friends. It's one Capcom collection where I can recommend all three titles to someone, unlike Devil May Cry (the awful second one) and Resident Evil (Outbreak...).

I'm surprised a Prince of Persia Collection has not come out for $30, especially with a sequel coming. Or bundles of 1 year old EA games (Madden 08, NHL 08, & Live 08) for $20. A God of War bundle with CoO ported to PS2 for $30 or even $40 a few months before GoW3 comes out could be good too.

[quote name='62t']the problem is that Onimusha 1 and 2 cost like less than $5 while DoD is harder to find.[/quote]
Maybe used. But definitely not sealed for under $5.

[quote name='Vinny']I still wish they'd make a Jak, Sly, and R&C triple pack.[/QUOTE]

THIS!

Those are everything I want! Got MGS Essentials awhile back from Goozex and need the rest of these game series.

And I'd definitely pick up an Onimusha bundle with 1-3 or 2-4 since I've already owned and beaten 1.

[quote name='briansraregames']Or a FFVII collection with the original, dirge of cerberus, and a crisis core ps2 port.[/quote]

I am with you on that one.
Yes - Dreams do come true sometimes!

DoD is crap. ESPECIALLY the American version, which had the HP of enemies and bosses raised just to waste more time.
The original series is just Resident Evil with a sword. That's it.

If that sounds good to you, then go nuts, but that's what it is. I love them, but don't expect marvels. These are older games.

[quote name='J7.']I'm surprised a Prince of Persia Collection has not come out for $30, especially with a sequel coming. Or bundles of 1 year old EA games (Madden 08, NHL 08, & Live 08) for $20. A God of War bundle with CoO ported to PS2 for $30 or even $40 a few months before GoW3 comes out could be good too.[/quote]

Yeah I would really like a prince of Persia collection to come out. Considering I have the entire Jak series already, and just picked up the entire Sly series for 30 bucks at best buy, this is the only bundle that I would have any interest in getting.

[quote name='M3wThr33']DoD is crap. ESPECIALLY the American version, which had the HP of enemies and bosses raised just to waste more time.

If that sounds good to you, then go nuts, but that's what it is. I love them, but don't expect marvels. These are older games.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I love the series. I've owned over a hundred PS2 games, but I realized that I didn't want to be a collector so I sold off everything but the games I absolutely loved when I bought a 360. That left me with 15 games. Three of those being Onimusha 1-3. I can safely say I've beaten the original game over 30 times, and on a perfect playthrough my game clock final time is just under 90 minutes.

I know people hate the old RE control system nowadays, and the first two games use that control system but I still think they are worth a playthrough.

[quote name='Bulrog']Yeah I would really like a prince of Persia collection to come out. Considering I have the entire Jak series already, and just picked up the entire Sly series for 30 bucks at best buy, this is the only bundle that I would have any interest in getting.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually pretty surprised Capcom is even bothering with this pack this late in the cycle. I suppose it makes sense because of the movie release, and it isn't as if the PS2 is totally dead just yet.

I wouldn't hold your breathe for any others, though. IMHO, this is probably one of the last re-issued packs we'll see (if not the last one). I'd like to believe we'd see more, but given the sheer lack of BC on the new PS3s and the scattered BC of the XB360 (i.e. no HD means no BC, and no Live means no updates, either), these re-issue packs just don't make much commercial sense. I venture to guess the DMC pack probably sold well enough that Capcom is doing this (plus, I doubt it costs them all that much to reprint old titles on DVDs), but I don't think this is going to sell too many copies.

And I stand by my belief that DoD will not be included. It had no part to the trilogy, and was essentially a stand-alone game. I do see the possibility of Blade Warriors in it, though, given that stars all the characters from the trilogy (and casual gamers would like it). Possible Capcom might bundle it in on another disc (i.e. make it three discs and push it into the third game disc).

[quote name='romeogbs19']I'm actually pretty surprised Capcom is even bothering with this pack this late in the cycle. I suppose it makes sense because of the movie release, and it isn't as if the PS2 is totally dead just yet.

I wouldn't hold your breathe for any others, though. IMHO, this is probably one of the last re-issued packs we'll see (if not the last one). I'd like to believe we'd see more, but given the sheer lack of BC on the new PS3s and the scattered BC of the XB360 (i.e. no HD means no BC, and no Live means no updates, either), these re-issue packs just don't make much commercial sense. I venture to guess the DMC pack probably sold well enough that Capcom is doing this (plus, I doubt it costs them all that much to reprint old titles on DVDs), but I don't think this is going to sell too many copies.

And I stand by my belief that DoD will not be included. It had no part to the trilogy, and was essentially a stand-alone game. I do see the possibility of Blade Warriors in it, though, given that stars all the characters from the trilogy (and casual gamers would like it). Possible Capcom might bundle it in on another disc (i.e. make it three discs and push it into the third game disc).[/QUOTE]

Actually, Sony is now encouraging publishers to put out more of these packs for the PS2. There are several on the way including a Mortal Kombat, a Pacman and a bunch of others. According to my friends at Sony, the plan is to keep the PS2 going for at least another two years and there should be at least one more price drop on the recently released even slimmer PS2 model.

The new model is already in stores. I saw it myself. No Lego Batman included yet, of course.

The specifics for the new model are dropping the 56k modem, internal power supply and redesigned front.

Having no power brick is AWESOME. Amazing how they've shrunk this bastard.

In all honesty, even if all we get for the PS2 after Persona 4 are just bundles and re-releases, I'd be pretty happy all things considered. There were so many good PS2 games that we missed out on the first time around for one reason or another, that if they got a new printing it would be like releasing a new game. Reprints of ICO or Okami(which I thought went "Greatest Hits" lately) would do very well even if they aren't brand new games, just re-releases.

But thank goodness the Wii will most likely keep the PS2 around for years to come.

yea the PS2 have yet to hit the magical $99. Also the price difference between Xbox 360 arcade and PS3 is only $70

[quote name='M3wThr33']DoD is crap. ESPECIALLY the American version, which had the HP of enemies and bosses raised just to waste more time.

If that sounds good to you, then go nuts, but that's what it is. I love them, but don't expect marvels. These are older games.[/QUOTE]

DoD is excellent. ESPECIALLY the American version with the enhanced challenge.

Regardless, the bundle sounds nice for latecomers to the series, but I have them all plus BW, and Genma on Xbox. I periodically replay each of them.

Hoping for a 360/PS3 powered new Onimusha.

bread's done
Back