CAGcast #133: Steal This!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[img-l=1]481[/img-l][preview]This week we go beta and demo crazy with Socom: Confrontation, Pure, and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and CheapyD gives Castle Crashers some tough love. We also talk digital distribution, E3 rebirth, Spore bootlegging, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Listen for details on how to win 1 of 4 $100 GameStop gift cards!

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

[podcast]24[/podcast]
Download - 107 minutes, 43MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg][/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture:

Bonus Tai Videos:
http://www.vimeo.com/album/30411

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this now, I need this as I continue on to finish my work by the morning! Always glad to see a new one of these.

sweet. socom demo impressions? motorstorm pr demo impressions? digital dl and piracy?? tough love for castle crashers?!? I'm looking forward to hearing this...

Those videos with Tai are awesome, I was literally crackin' up at the faces he made in the video you linked and also the weird position he was in in the other video.

It looks like Tai doesn't like his food. Nice video, Cheapy. I was cracking up as Tai makes those faces.

[quote name='thorbahn3']It's Dragon Quest 9, Cheapy and Wombat. You need to take roman numeral lessons.[/quote]

Actually it is a remake of the original Dragon Quest/Warrior 4 from the NES days.

IV= 4
IX= 9

[quote name='thorbahn3']It's Dragon Quest 9, Cheapy and Wombat. You need to take roman numeral lessons.[/quote]

This be a 4.

EC.UPC.662248908137.CN.JPG

I may have misunderstood but FFXIII is exclusive to the ps3 in japan. Only in america does it come out on both consoles. Unless squeenix is changing its tune since the announcement.

Oh, I remembered hearing 9 was coming to the DS and thought this was it. My mistake.
I shall never question your wisdom again... for three weeks

Wombat has to be on the cagcast show. Xbox 360 is still not getting Final Fantasy Versus XIII do the research on the net.

Just a note about Wombat saying Pure being Disney's first videogame IP or w/e...

I think they also worked on Spectrobes for the DS.

Already 10 minutes in and many unforgivable errors thus far by both Cheapy and Wombat.

Errors of Note:
- Tales of Vesperia is not a Square Enix game
- FFXIII PS3 exclusive in Japan, probably rest of Asia
- Wombat not acknowledging the awesomeness of Ninja Turtles
- Burnout Paradise is not on PSN yet

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']I may have misunderstood but FFXIII is exclusive to the ps3 in japan. Only in america does it come out on both consoles. Unless squeenix is changing its tune since the announcement.[/quote]

Interesting...I wasn't aware of that. It appears it is still up for grabs in the rest of Asia, which is probably why my Taiwanese friend was excited.
Let's wait and see what actually happens since the release is so damn far away. I wouldn't be suprised in the slightest if it does get a Japan release, no matter what these guys say now.

Pure should be that much of a surprise since it's being developed by the same guys that made the later ATV Offroad Fury games after Rainbow Studios was bought up by THQ, whether its published by Disney or not.

:lol: I like Cheapy's reason for being down on MotorStorm: Pacific Rift because you're only racing around in circles. I figured you wouldn't like it, but that just seemed like a funny complaint for a racing game.

The reason Castle Crashers isn't that hard is that the enemies don't level with you, so if you grind a bit, you can essentially bypass some difficulty early on until you unlock the hard mode after beating the game.

I agree about Viva Pinata, haven't tried the second yet, being a huge time sink, which is why I haven't played it at all after my first marathon because I factor in the likelihood of wasting the whole day playing it and skip it for something else that I felt deserved more priority over it for my playtime.

I never watch any of the videos on Inside Xbox because if I can't download the videos and watch on my own time, I don't bother wasting time to wait for them to load and buffer for a tiny video window.

You're impressed by some simple stuff with the PS3, Cheapy. The first thing I did with my PS3 was put my PSP's memory stick in and play videos off of it. The PS3 can play videos of any resolution. It'll just upscale or downscale it to the resolution of your TV.

Warhawk's much faster than SOCOM and definitely more arcadey than it, too. It's better to buy an unfinished game that you know will be getting patched and expanded that other broken online games definitely don't get.

From what I've heard about Jeopardy, the main issue with the multiple choice answers is that it doesn't offer other reasonable answers with the correct answer, so if the answer's T-Bone, you'll get other answers like L-Bone, M-Bone, and N-Bone that makes it so obvious. I imagine Buzz Quiz TV will be the better quiz game for the PS3.

Sony's 10 year cycle is mainly for their support of the system, not when it's their main or only system, so they don't lock themselves out of releasing a new system until 2016. I think they may be more content to stick with the PS3 for a bit longer than usual before putting out the PS4.

[quote name='CheapyD']Interesting...I wasn't aware of that. It appears it is still up for grabs in the rest of Asia, which is probably why my Taiwanese friend was excited.
Let's wait and see what actually happens since the release is so damn far away. I wouldn't be suprised in the slightest if it does get a Japan release, no matter what these guys say now.[/quote]

Even if FFXIII got a release on the 360 in Japan, it would be much later than the PS3 version. At the time of the announcement, they hadn't even begun porting it to the 360. As far as Asia goes, nothing's been announced, but again, PS3 version is coming out first. Also, the PS3 version has a demo, which A LOT of people are going to import since the PS3 is region free.

I do love Nintendo, but over the past few months I have been playing a lot less of the Wii, only really playing Strong Bad Episode 1 and about an hour of Ys which I haven't gone back to. I plan on getting Animal Crossing, but it does wear thin after a while since you are limited in what you can do. I feel sometimes that Nintendo wants their base to move on so they can rid of their old franchise baggage except for Mario and Pokemon who they seem to love pimping out 5-6 times a piece every year.

Actually, the original location for Acclaim was Glen Cove, NY not Great Neck

Also... if you manage to find a copy of mortal kombat for sega genesis the publisher of that title ARENA was based out of Oyster Bay, NY

so Long Island has actually had a few game publishers but, now it has none.

I'll stick for up Cheapy and say that maybe people in Japan and Taiwan are buying/importing US 360's for FF, as it may still be cheaper then a PS3.

It might be available eventually in Asia/JPN on 360, but the PS3 version will release way before as the 360 version won't even exist until after the JPN version of XIII is done. Also, Wombat, I'm glad you picked up on an Asian person in JPN using the atomic bomb reference. I nearly dropped my bagel when I heard that...

[quote name='h3ro']It might be available eventually in Asia/JPN on 360, but the PS3 version will release way before as the 360 version won't even exist until after the JPN version of XIII is done. Also, Wombat, I'm glad you picked up on an Asian person in JPN using the atomic bomb reference. I nearly dropped my bagel when I heard that...[/quote]
Yep, Square said that they will finish the japanese version and then begin working on the english version and THEN port it to the xbox 360. At this point I don't even care until they announce the release date in America.

Regarding Spore DRM - a big part of the uproar surrounding this issue is that when you uninstall the game, you don't get one of your three activations back. I had to install the game three times to get it working properly (although it later turned out that my problems were down to EA server issues) - regardless, I used up my three activations so now I have to call EA if I want to be able to install it anywhere else.

It's a shame that EA went this route since I think most would agree that Spore's online component is compelling enough to persuade most would-be pirates to shell out for a copy, rather than going for a stripped down offline version. What with all the controversy surrounding Spore's DRM and the potential for irate customers to be looking towards piracy as a way to get past these restrictions, it can't be a good thing for the PC industry as a whole.

More wrong/ lack of knowledge.

There have already been a few Wal-mart or Gamestop exclusive games. Granted not a "major release" (although some would argue that AC/DC isn't major either)

Good show guys... Everyone's already commented on the Final Fantasy issue. The only thing I can add to the mix is that by the time Final Fantasy XIII is released on PS3, perhaps the console will be cheaper.

Motorstorm 2: I have to agree that the Motorstorm series could benefit from having custom paint, and a different mode. But what happens after you've put in the custom pain, and custom icons, etc.? YOU RACE!!! Even motorstorm had some variety (that you don't know about) online, with the eliminator race type, and there was a small degree of combat that occurs between motorcycle riders. Criticizinb a racing game for racing is like criticizing a Doughnut for having a hole in it.

Some months ago, I called the Wii a "Interactive Boardgame" however, I like Wombat's description, calling the Wii a novelty. Both work well in my opinion, because Boardgames and Novelties are both one time purchases. Instead of buying addtional accesories for the boardgame (or Novelty) you just buy a different version - Wii 2 anyone?! (i.e. Monopoly StarWars).

Exclusive games at Gamestop - Good Idea. Exclusive games at Gamestop is something that they've already benefitted from. Example: For EVERY new release, gamestop had at least one or two days, where they had the game on the exact release date and other franchises, Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, Toys R Us, Circuit City was still processing the game through their inventory and store delivery networks. This is a benefit that the Babbages, Gamestops, EB Games of the world have enjoyed for years. Although, no one ever really documents the advantage that this provided Gamestop, but judging at the business practices of Major retailers, apparently it was an issue and now they're sure to get the game on the Shelf on Release day. Gamestop gets their inventory through UPS, directly to each store. There is no giant Gamestop warehouse, where all the gamestop inventory is housed, and then dispersed to the individual retailers. From what I've seen, they get their stuff right off the truck, which was a lot faster. But since, the rest of the retailers have taken this advantage away from Gamestop, then they must vie to find a new way to get some exclusive time with the game.

Early release for games that are preordered and paid in full. [this should be in my blog] Basically, the best time to sell a game is during the hype, before the reviews. How much better would Too Human have performed if people could have preordered with the promise of getting it early. (lets say about 3-4 weeks early) Buy during the hype, before Dyack, says anything crazy. These preorders can also be done at the trade shows as well.. at least it can give investors, and developers an ideal of how well the game might do, plus puts money in the bank before you even put the product on the shelf. The benefit of this practice helps gamestop as well, because if you buy a game early, and don't like it. Which we know if very likely to occur on occassions, then they can sell the game back to Gamestop. Gamestop can then sell used copies of the game on day one, or whenever they decide to do so.. maybe a week after release is good.

[quote name='usickenme']More wrong/ lack of knowledge.

There have already been a few Wal-mart or Gamestop exclusive games. Granted not a "major release" (although some would argue that AC/DC isn't major either)[/QUOTE]

we were only referring to a major release of the size of a madden type game, anno 1701 doest come close, please nitpick on the foreplay thread not mine. Also AC/DC rock my socks off, so I doubly think you are wrong

Cheapy, the Zone mode for Wipeout wasn't removed. It was redone graphically. In the original mode, there were billboards all around the track which pulsed with the music as well as the pulsing of the floor/colors to go along with the music. The revised Zone mode now has only a few billboards (the original had them every few inches) and less changes pulsing.

Here is a comparison video I found. Its not as insane as before, but still looks pretty slick if you ask me. Great buy for $20 IMO. Oh and Wombat, an insider on GAF said that there will be a demo. :)

http://www.video.dpadmagazine.com/2008/09/11/wipeout-hd-previewfinal-build-comparison/

Wombat, when you mocked Cheapy for the way he says Karaoke at the beginning of the cast I was laughing my ass off.

Easily one of the funniest things you have ever said and we were all thinking it, and glad that you were there to say it.

...I'm still laughing...

[quote name='Wombat']we were only referring to a major release of the size of a madden type game, anno 1701 doest come close, please nitpick on the foreplay thread not mine. Also AC/DC rock my socks off, so I doubly think you are wrong[/QUOTE]

having to clarify after the fact doesn't help your argument.

p.s Your comments were on CAGcast. If your vagina is still sore from the birth, sit on "the donut' while doing the cagcast.

[quote name='usickenme']having to clarify after the fact doesn't help your argument.

p.s Your comments were on CAGcast. If your vagina is still sore from the birth, sit on "the donut' while doing the cagcast.[/QUOTE]

I don't need to clarify how awesome AC/DC is, evar!

I think it's funny when Wombat gets indignent about silly stuff like the use of "Average" and not watching videos on his Xbox 360. Like it is somehow beneath him to do such a thing.

It really makes him sound like a bit of a d*ck at times, but somehow I think that may be the intent.

Oh Burnout Paradise is available for download on the PSN. It was on there almost a month ago, now NFL Head Coach has joined it for 2 full EA retail games on the network.

As someone else stated, Tales of Vesperia is from Namco/Bandai, not Square Enix. Here's a 360 JRPG game/developer list:

Blue Dragon- Mistwalker
Eternal Sonata- Namco Bandai
Lost Odyssey- Mistwalker
Tales of Vesperia- Namco Bandai
Infinite Undiscovery- Square Enix
The Last Remnant (coming in Nov.)- Square Enix
Star Ocean 4 (coming in Spring)- Square Enix

[quote name='MSUHitman']

As someone else stated, Tales of Vesperia is from Namco/Bandai, not Square Enix. Here's a 360 JRPG game/developer list:

\[/QUOTE]

did Cheapy say that or did I? because i knew that, so either i had a brain lapse or wasn't listening. Either is reasonable to have happened

[quote name='MSUHitman']Oh Burnout Paradise is available for download on the PSN. It was on there almost a month ago, now NFL Head Coach has joined it for 2 full EA retail games on the network.
[/quote]

Burnout Paradise on PSN was announced last month. It's not up in the store yet, nor has any date been announced.

[quote name='Wombat']did Cheapy say that or did I? because i knew that, so either i had a brain lapse or wasn't listening. Either is reasonable to have happened[/quote]

Cheapy said it. It was at the very beginning when he was talking about his Taiwanese friend.

Apparently I was wrong about Burnout, I apologize. I thought it was up there considering there had been a HUGE ad for it every time I opened the PSN store for the last month, until NFL Head Coach WAS PUT on the network just recently.

[quote name='Wombat']we were only referring to a major release of the size of a madden type game, anno 1701 doest come close, please nitpick on the foreplay thread not mine. Also AC/DC rock my socks off, so I doubly think you are wrong[/QUOTE]

Just to add another game to the list of Wal-Mart exclusives, Chibi Robo: Park Patrol (?) for the DS was only available at Wal-Mart. They even put the exclusivity on the packaging, IIRC.

Also, per the MediaCreate thread on NeoGAF, PS3 has outsold 360 by about 2.5:1 over the past month in Japan. (Not sure if that includes the Vesperia launch.)

Oh man Cheapy nailed it on Jeopardy. No Alex is a deal breaker for me. What's the point of a game show without it's signature host? Sure it's $15 but I'd rather grab Buzz for PS3 later and snag the cool wireless buzzers. At least Buzz really feels like a gameshow.

What happened to Wombat's voice near the end during the CAGBag? I think for about two of his comments, his voice sounds like it took a Helium hit before returning to normal for the rest of the cast.

~HotShotX

[quote name='playablemovies']Actually, the original location for Acclaim was Glen Cove, NY not Great Neck

I was just about to write that. Im from Glen Cove. I remember going to Acclaim for focus group testing when I was younger..

[quote name='playablemovies']Actually, the original location for Acclaim was Glen Cove, NY not Great Neck

Also... if you manage to find a copy of mortal kombat for sega genesis the publisher of that title ARENA was based out of Oyster Bay, NY

so Long Island has actually had a few game publishers but, now it has none.[/quote]

I was just about to write that. Im from Glen Cove. I remember going to Acclaim for focus group testing when I was younger..

I disagree with Cheapy's assumption that bandwidth will get cheaper over time. He is using a consumer retail analogy that doesn't match the ISP business. With hardware and manufacturing, you have economies of scale to offset costs. To increase bandwidth, the only recourse is to install more and more equipment and infrastructure (which has no economy of scale per se because prices are determined by the network vendors who will not necessarily lower prices on stuff like routers, and the cost of labor to build larger and larger fiber networks will not decrease), and the more equipment you install, without any bandwidth management or restrictions, the usage simply matches whatever additional overhead is added. The law of diminishing returns then kicks in, so you end up spending more money on infrastructure just to maintain the same level of service.

What I see as really happening down the line is what Comcast is trying now...they are going to cap you and then start charging for tiers of service so you're going to pay more the more bandwidth you use.

Woohoo! I got my first mention on the cagcast along with many others! Only took 80 episodes to do it. This was better than when I was mentioned as "somebody" by Ms. Shipwreck on cag foreplay.:)

Loved the new segment. Even though you guys are friends with the head honchos on the blogs, they need to be called out.

Wombat is right. The Penny Arcade should have said hi to Cheapy in person. You guys know each other, and unless you've forgotten, CAG did donate a chunk of change to Child's Play.

Finally, yes I can confirm Capcom's booth did sell 90 dollar art books at ComicCon last year. The only reason I bring this up is because they were also getting rid a lot of their old inventory (at cag worthy prices I might add), and I think it's funny that one of the biggest game companies in the world essentially had a garage sale at ComicCon. I remembered seeing one of the producers of Street Fighter HD remix manning the cash register at the booth.

For various reasons I don't want to go into i'm not going to listen to the CAGCast anymore.

Suffice to say I don't think CheapyD is very entertaining with his comments and opinions anymore and I dont like listening to him anymore.

That being said I always like listening to Wombat and hope he keeps going the new show with Shipwreck.

bread's done
Back