CAG Foreplay #53: Kinda Hippy Means Broken Pelvises

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
[preview][img-l=1]2[/img-l]CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of September 25th, 2008. Over 40 releases this week. Note to video game publishers: there are 40 games besides yours coming out this week. Good luck to you all!

Don't forget to enter our contest for WarioWare Touched! for the Nintendo DS courtesy of CAG Robjus.

Special thanks to GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for only $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[podcast]26[/podcast]
Download - 73 minutes, 34MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg][/preview]

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Multi-Platform

[IMG-L=4714]2529[/IMG-L]Baja: Edge of Control Dev. 2XL Games Pub. THQ Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Some of the guys from the MX vs. ATV games decided to broaden their horizons and step away from the off-road racing of motorcycles and ATVs. So instead, they chose to make a game based upon racing dune buggies, trucks, and VW Beetles across several open off-road and desert-like locales. Okay, so they didn't broaden too much, but the past games have been solid, so I'd expect this to be good, dirty fun as well. – ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4714]2530[/IMG-L]Barbie Fashion Show: An Eye for Style Dev. Pub. Activision Systems: DS, PC MSRP: $29.99
And thus officially begins the season of DS games aplenty with Barbie titles for all. Aimed at the 6-12 year-old girl, this game features clothing designs, models, photo shoots, and a $30 price tag. Of course, the Barbie trademark is included too. – mrs. ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4714]2532[/IMG-L]Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway Dev. Gearbox Software Pub. UbiSoft Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99
I think this Nazi-shooter has been in development since shortly after the end of the second world war, so it will be interesting to see if its attention to realism can compete against more modern shooters. The build I played at E3 didn't do much to suggest that it can, but perhaps they changed it up a lot sense then because it has been receiving good reviews. Or perhaps you’ve got a shooting Nazis sized hole in your heart that has been painfully ignored during this World War II drought that we’ve seen. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $56.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Amazon $69.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $69.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4714]2536[/IMG-L]Cabela's Dangerous Hunts '09 Dev. Activision Pub. Activision Systems: PS2, Wii, 360, PS3 MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
It's like going to the zoo, but instead of not being able to feed the animals, you get to shoot them. According to the press release, the fan favorite "Action Zone" returns, so fans have to be stoked for that. Huh, I really would have figured any "zone" included in the game would have been of the "danger" variety. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2546[/IMG-L]LEGO Batman Dev. Traveller's Tales Pub. Warner Bros. Systems: Everything MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
LEGO LEGO LEGO LEGO LEGO LEGO LEGO LEGO BATMAN! When I first heard that LEGO Batman wouldn't be based directly off any specific source material, I thought it might lose some of the charm found in the previous LEGO games. I was wrong. If the couple of levels I played at E3 are representative of the entire game, this is the best LEGO "Insert License" game to date. The graphics have been improved, the controls are more accurate, there's more variety to the level structures, and the game is twice as long as the previous games because you get to play through both hero and villain storylines. Plus, with new mechanics involving changing of suits that characters are wearing, the gameplay has a fresh way of dealing with the usual LEGO obstacles. Really looking forward to playing through this one with the Mrs. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2548[/IMG-L]Margot's Word Brain Dev. Pub. Zoo Games Systems: DS, Wii MSRP: $14.99, $19.99
My first thoughts with previewing this game were “Who’s Margot?” and “Why does she have a new video game?”. Apparently no one else knows who she is either, which is why the game description pins her as “the new videogame queen of word play!” Did we have an old videogame queen of word play? Anyway, this game includes 6 word-based edutainment puzzles and a librarian-looking lady with bland graphics. The pricetags of $15 and $20 for the DS and Wii, respectively, aren’t bad, but you’ll get what you pay for. – mrs. ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

[IMG-L=4772]2555[/IMG-L]Pipe Mania Dev. Pub. Empire Interactive Systems: PS2, PSP, PC, Wii MSRP: $19.99, $29.99
Love those unlocking mini-games in BioShock, but don't want to be bothered with all that shooting and storyline? Well, that pipe dream is now a reality, as Pipe Mania flows from the freeware tubes of the internet and onto retail shelves. For those not familiar, you simply line up different pipe sections so that when water begins to flow, you direct it to the drain. This version includes nicely updated graphics and over 300 different levels, so it is quite an upgrade over the free versions you’ll find online. - ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2558[/IMG-L]SimCity Creator Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: DS, Wii MSRP: $39.99, $49.99
It's been awhile since SimCity has come to consoles, and this looks to be a pretty fun take on the classic formula of building your cities, managing them, and then destroying them. Not really much else to say about it right now, but I'd at least like to try it when the price comes down even though early reviews aren’t too hot on the Wii controls. - ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $46.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2561[/IMG-L]Warriors Orochi 2 Dev. Omega Force Pub. Koei Systems: PS2, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
Those of you worried that you may never get another Koei hack and slash can rest easy this week as another number is slapped onto a “Warriors” title. This is of course the series where they combine Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors to have them fight against demons. As always, this iteration adds more characters (13 more, bringing the roster up to 92) as well as a versus mode. Of course, if you are a fan of the series you already rabidly devoured this information eons ago and know infinitely more than I ever care to about these games, so enjoy your new game… I’ll be over here, doing something else. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)

Wii

[IMG-L=4714]2533[/IMG-L]Brothers in Arms: Double Time Dev. Gearbox Software Pub. UbiSoft Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
It's the first two Brothers in Arms games with Wii Controls. Not to be confused with the new Hell's Highway game that comes out this week for other platforms. Actually, probably to be confused with the new Hell's Highway game that comes out this week for other platforms. - ship

[IMG-L=4772]2538[/IMG-L]de Blob Dev. Blue Tongue Pub. THQ Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Roll around a gelatinous blob in this platformer where a black and white world needs a shot of color. Obviously inspired by Ted Turner, de Blob can colorize the world by rolling up different colors and then painting his surroundings. Maybe in the sequel he can open up a chain of buffalo meat restaurants. - shipwreck

[IMG-L=4772]2547[/IMG-L]Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked Dev. Pub. Konami Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
The desert island simulator comes to consoles this week, and is thankfully a little more forgiving than its DS predecessors. The basic game scenario is still the same as you and your companion are stranded and must put all the things you learned from Gilligan’s Island to use as you struggle to survive and start a new tropical lifestyle. Of course the graphics are updated quite a bit and all of the mini-games required to start fires, catch fish, or any of the other tasks are built around the Wii’s motion controls. I’m actually surprised by the $30 price tag as the brief time I spent with this game at E3 left me kind of impressed. Then again, I could just like the name. - shipwreck

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2556[/IMG-L]Samba de Amigo Dev. Gearbox Software Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
The insanely fun Dreamcast maraca shakin' game gets ported to the Wii, but sans-maracas. Which means even though you can't help but smiling at this ridiculously happy game, you're going to be trying to control it with a Wii-mote and a Nunchuk. And those bring about the results you would expect. Adequate for the most part, but strangely non-responsive at others. Kind of like trying to play a saxaphone game with a Wii-mote and Nunchuk. - shipwreck

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2559[/IMG-L]Wario Land: Shake It! Dev. Good Feel Pub. Nintendo Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Ship thinks he’s soooooo cool with his Hey There Delilah preview to SingStar. So I think I’ll just make my own song lyric preview. Who knows, maybe this will be a permanent feature. Or maybe we should just do an entire “musical” show. That would take FOREVER, but it just may win us some sort of prize. Do they have podcast Emmy’s? Boy, we’re back with a bang this week, aren’t we? Okay, so setting my Wario Land: Shake It! preview to OutKast’s Hey Ya! is just too challenging. What you need to know about this game is that it looks awesome and is an old-school platformer with entertaining gameplay. It’s relatively short and not anything spectacularly new, but it’s classic like a little black dress. And you can never have too many little black dresses. – mrs. ship

DS

[IMG-L=4714]2528[/IMG-L]Babysitting Mania Dev. Pub. Majesco Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
This title is a strategy game similar to what you’d expect from the likes of Cake Mania and Diner Dash. However, instead of grabbing tips and taking orders, you’ll be cleaning up messes and putting small children in time-out. There are 100 levels of mania that include babies, toddlers, tweens and teens. Personally, I’m all for the fast-paced simulation/strategy titles, but I’d much rather own a restaurant than change dirty diapers. But that’s just me. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4714]2531[/IMG-L]Brain Quest: Grades 3 & 4 Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Brain Quest: Grades 5 & 6 Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
These edutainment titles from EA revolve around a group of kids traveling around the world accomplishing small tasks from characters within the game. Of course, the tasks always involve puzzles and questions, hence the educational value. The game also includes Sudoku, and the graphics make it look similar to what you’d expect on a Leapfrog. Overall, I think these titles are great in that they put to use a system that most kids that age already have, rather than buying the aforementioned expensive non-gaming product. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2539[/IMG-L]Dinosaur King Dev. SEGA Pub. SEGA Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
This Mushi King spin-off (and yes, that sentence fragment means nothing to me) is a dinosaur battling game. The battle system is simplistic in that it’s rock-paper-scissors, and the exploration part of the game is from a top-down view, both of which make this title a kid-friendly one. Oh, and did I mention all the dinosaurs? – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2540[/IMG-L]Disgaea DS Dev. NIS Pub. NIS America Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
For an underground hit, this strategy RPG sure seems to be showing up a lot lately. The DS version is a remake of the original game with a new ending as well as some other new additions. Since I've never played the PlayStation 2 version, I may jump straight to this one due to its portability. - shipwreck

[IMG-L=4772]2541[/IMG-L]Dropcast Dev. Pub. THQ Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Set in an animated Tim Burton style world, this puzzle game is a combination of Tetris and Collapse where the eight different characters attack each other in Super Puzzle Fighter fashion. With up to four player local WiFi play, I’m hoping this one turns out as fun as it looks. - shipwreck

[IMG-L=4772]2543[/IMG-L]Hi! Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Challenge Dev. AlphaDream Pub. Natsume Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Since in Shipwreck’s world Hamtaro is a small mammal and therefore enters the realm of virtual pet, I get to preview Hi! Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Challenge. I’m told I’ve previewed Hamtaro games in the past, but I must have selective amnesia regarding these games. That being said, Hamtaro is a cute anime hamster with lots of cute, large-eyed animal friends who apparently want to teach us using various cute edutainment mini-games. I’m thinking this title might make a great stocking stuffer for a younger gamer when the price drops in a month or so. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2545[/IMG-L]Kirby Super Star Ultra Dev. Nintendo Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Old school gamers are having quite the week with Wario and Kirby making the list of new releases. This DS title is a “remake” of Kirby Super Star for the SNES with plenty of fringe benefits. Yes, Kirby still has a voracious appetite for enemies and floats like a butterfly. In this new title, you can befriend the enemies and have them play along as your second player (AI or local co-op play). The touch-screen controls are minimal, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The gameplay is rumored to be a bit easy, but I say who cares? We all need a bit of gaming simplicity now and again. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2550[/IMG-L]My Little Pony: Pinkie Pie's Party Dev. Pub. THQ Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
I know everyone’s been anxiously awaiting this preview to decide if they’re going to buy Pinkie Pie’s Party for their DS or if they’re going to wait for something better to come along. Well, all I can tell you based on the game description is: “Pinkie Pie is a character living in Ponyville in the My Little Pony franchise.” That should really help in the decision-making process. My advice: if you’re not an 8 year-old girl gamer or buying this title for an 8 year-old girl gamer, you’ve got more problems than you realize. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2551[/IMG-L]My SAT Coach Dev. Pub. UbiSoft Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
For those of you who aren’t into learning a new language but need to master the one we’ve got, try out the newest title from Ubisoft. I have to be honest, I used computer software prior to taking the SAT and it seemed to work pretty well. You take a practice test, enter how much time you have until the big day, and the software generally guides you where you need the most work. The game also includes two full SAT tests, which are great for practice. My only problem is that most colleges prefer the ACT now instead of the SAT. Maybe Ubisoft needs a My ACT Coach next, followed quickly by the My GRE Coach. Then maybe the MCAT or the Bar exam. Oh wait, the future lawyers should just play Phoenix Wright. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2552[/IMG-L]Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase Dev. THQ Pub. THQ Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
The two previous Nancy Drew DS games stunk. This one, also a point-and-click adventure, might not stink because the developer/publisher on this one is different. Or, it could stink anyway and I shouldn’t ever get my hopes up for a decent Nancy Drew DS game ever again. We’ll have to wait and see. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2562[/IMG-L]Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure Dev. NIS Pub. NIS America Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
This really girly RPG didn't exactly tear up the charts when it came out for the original PlayStation years ago, but with the diverse audience that the DS has built up, maybe it will be singing a happier tune this time around. And with this being a portable version, I can probably safely retire that PlayStation version that I never got around to playing. - ship

[IMG-L=4772]2557[/IMG-L]Shaun the Sheep Dev. Art Co., Ltd. Pub. D3 Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
The #1 sheep from the Serta commercials sheep from Wallace and Gromit got his own DS adventure title. Full of mini-games, mini-quests, some avoid-the-farmer stealth, quirky humor, and fun animation style, this title is a sleeper hit on my preview list of otherwise budget title DS crap. Its target audience is probably a bit younger than most CAGs, but for a simplistic piece of quality gaming, you should check out this title. – mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4772]2560[/IMG-L]Time Hollow Dev. Tenky Pub. Konami Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Fans of point-and-click adventures and unravelling mysteries should definitely set some time aside for this one. Based around a young man who's parents have mysteriously disappeared, you must use a time altering pen to draw rifts in the environment and figure out the meaning to all the flashbacks you've been having. With interesting characters and intriguing dialogue, I'm guessing Time Hollow will be hours well spent. - ship

PlayStation 3

[IMG-L=4714]2535[/IMG-L]Buzz! Quiz TV Bundle Dev. Relentless Pub. Sony Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Here’s your question:
Buzz! Quiz TV is better than the previous Buzz! games because of:
a) Wireless buzz controls
b) User-created up-loadable quizzes
c) Downloadable expansion quiz packs
d) High definition graphics
e) All of the Above
Of course, the answer is “e”. Duh. – mrs. ship

PSP

[IMG-L=4714]2534[/IMG-L]Buzz! Master Quiz Dev. Relentless Pub. Sony Systems: PSP MSRP: $19.99
So, this is the last preview that I’m writing and I can’t come up with a clever way to make it easier and smart and funny and entertaining. You see this game looks good. It has in-game trophies, lots of questions, it’s portable, and all the reviewers seem to like it. It’s even got a multiplayer system for online gameplay. So here’s the bottom line: of all the PSP games I’m preview this week (one), it’s the one I’d buy. – mrs. ship

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

PlayStation 2

[IMG-L=4772]2549[/IMG-L]Mortal Kombat Kollection Dev. Midway Pub. Midway Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
Midway dialed up a kombination of Deception, Armageddon, and Shaolin Monks and put them into one toasty package. All total, that's two fighting games, one beat 'em-up, Chess Kombat, Puzzle Kombat, and Motor Kombat. Could be the perfect kompilation to get the blood flowing prior to the upcoming Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. - ship

[IMG-L=4772]2554[/IMG-L]Onimusha Essentials Dev. Capcom Pub. Capcom Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
For $30 you’re getting a legion worth of demons to kill in Onimusha 1, 2, and 3. I’m guessing Dawn of Dreams didn’t make the cut because of the unwritten rule that says you can only fit three games in one of these compilation boxes. I’m guessing Blade Warriors didn’t make it because… well, I guess Capcom doesn’t hate you that much. - ship

[IMG-L=4714]2517[/IMG-L]Singstar Pop Vol. 2 Dev. Pub. Sony Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
Hey there Delilah,
It’s another game of singing,
If you’re not sure what songs are here you’d better hit up Wiki,
Yes you can,
Some song called Walkie-Talkie Man,
By Steriogram.

Hey there Delilah,
I don’t really know that song
Is there perhaps some Peter Bjorn and John with which I can sing along
I know Young Folks,
And Jenny from the Block sung by J-Lo,
that song is dope.

Oh, I’m previewing SingStar
Previewing SingStar

Hey there Delilah,
You can stand under my umbahrella
When the boys and girls are getting weepy from my rendition of Rihanna
“Big Girls Don’t Cry”,
Maybe that’s the next song that I’ll try,
I “Don’t Know Why”.

Hey there Delilah,
Did you get my Norah reference,
Or shall I bring you to life with some awful Evanesence
Or “The Great Escape”
I like the high-pitch noises Akon makes
Crap, that’s “The Sweet Escape”

And though this preview’s very long
I hope you’ve strummed and hummed along
I wouldn’t want it any other way
I kind of like these next two lines
Because Plain White T’s don’t bother to rhyme
Oh, look I did it anyway
Delilah, there’s more songs for you
But who wants to sing Pink’s “Who Knew”
I gotta stop previewing this game
Gonna go insane

Hey there Delilah,
We’ve approached “My Happy Ending”
That could be considered “Promiscuous”, I guess it’s all depending
Might need a towel
Why’s “Thnks Fr Th Mmrs” have no vowels?
There’s “When I’m Gone” by 3 Doors Down
Hey there Delilah, how’d I sound
How do I sound?

Previewing SingStar
- ship

PC

[IMG-L=4772]2544[/IMG-L]BattleLord: King's Bounty Dev. Katuri Interactive Pub. Atari Systems: PC MSRP: $39.99
If a generic fantasy RPG with hex-based turn-based tactical battles is your thing, then thank the stars for Atari high-fiving all three of you. This spectacularly unremarkable game has such rad features like "a huge continent" and "dozens of different locations". Not my cup of tea for the price point, but you can check out the demo if you like. – Treehouse Gamer

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2542[/IMG-L]Guitar Praise Dev. Digital Praise Pub. Digital Praise Systems: PC MSRP: $99.99
I'm not one to diss on the Lord's muzak, so I'm hoping Shipwreck will do me the honor. Of course, music games live and die by their setlist, so if Christian rock is your bag, then by all means rock out with the G-man. Just be careful when you throw up the Devil Horns. – Treehouse Gamer

:pc: Purchase At Family Christian $79.97 (5 free songs)

[IMG-L=4772]2553[/IMG-L]Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy Dev. Kheops Studio Pub. MC2 Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
Continuing the trend of holiday generic PC titles, here comes a boring adventure game about a prophet who's known for crackpot broad statements regarding the future. Regardless of your (or my) personal feelings about Nostradamus, the game is a standard murder mystery using standard pixel hunt mechanics. The twist is that you play Nostradmus's neice and his final prophecies start coming true (DUNH DUNH DUNH!). What sounds like the games most redeeming feature is that failure in some puzzles will punish you with death. Any Zak and Wiki fans will know that there is no better incentive. However, there just doesn't seem to be enough meat to sustain this title. Pazz! – Treehouse Gamer

:pc: Purchase At GameStop $29.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=4772]2537[/IMG-L]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Dev. Firaxis Pub. 2KGames Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
Firaxis (and Sid Meier) are almost synonymously known for their 4X turn-based strategy games. Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - a remake of the 1994 classic - utilizes the branding of Firaxis' flagship series to introduce strategy gamers to a focused experience set during the colonization period of the New World. Sid Meier newbies fret not - this title is a standalone game and not an expansion. I've never played the original Colonization title, but I did play a heck of a lot of Seven Cities of Gold on my 386. If you're a fan of any of the Civilization titles, this one should be right up your alley. Also of note, check out FreeCol for a freebie version of the classic. – Treehouse Gamer

On The DL

Mega Man 9 Systems: WiiWare, PSN MSRP: $9.99
Do you have what it takes to defeat all eight robot masters? For the ninth time? While it’s nice to have Mega Man go back to just being Mega Man, I don’t know if 8-bit nostalgia works for a brand new game. Especially when downloadable content is going to creep this one up near the $20 range when it is all said and done. - ship

Plättchen: Twist 'n' Paint Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $15
A nice-looking, but overly complicated action-puzzle game where players must not only make motions to switch the color they are painting with, but also deal with an on-screen avatar that can be attacked by objects flying around on top of the puzzle field. You also get a complicated scoring system that has both negative and positive reactions based upon your decisions. For instance, that decision to pay $15, yeah, that’s going to be a negative reaction. - ship

Super Dodgeball Systems: Wii VC (NES) MSRP: $5
You may just hate fun if you don’t love this game. Or maybe you’re a Communist who doesn't like to slam a Russian in the face with a rubber ball. - ship

Vectorman Systems: Wii VC (Genesis) MSRP: $8
We haven’t mentioned the Sega Genesis Collection in awhile. So, Sega Genesis Collection. You’ll really enjoy this frantic run’n’gun… on the Sega Genesis collection. - ship

WipEout HD Systems: PSN MSRP: $19.99
A combination of the two PSP games with updated graphics and eight-player online racing, WipEout HD seems to be a really good value at $20 for WipEout fans. As for me though, I'm not big on futuristic racing games and I already played through WipEout Pulse to completion. - ship

Duke Nukem 3D Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
I somehow managed to miss the Duke Nukem games growing up (well, I played a bit of a third-person catastrophe on the PS1) so I figured this release of an old first-person shooter wouldn't do much for me since I had no fond memories to fall back on. But then I played the demo and this is a surprisingly well done port. The controls are good, it doesn't give me headaches like Marathon, and they've added a groovy fast-forward/rewind feature so that you can respawn at any point in the level after you have died. Guess it's time for me to fill in this gap in my gaming history. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fart_bubble']whats with the odd formatting on some of the games listings?

edit: hmm to wait on Time Hollow or to pick it up now :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Can you be more specific on the odd formatting? Either I'm missing it, or it's showing up okay on my computer.

[quote name='shipwreck']Can you be more specific on the odd formatting? Either I'm missing it, or it's showing up okay on my computer.[/QUOTE]

shows up like this:

CheapAssGamer-ReplytoTopic_12223230.png

the games that look like that are:
Dropcast
Hamtaro
Rhapsody
Onimusha

Gotcha, my laptop screen is smaller. I'll jump on the iMac and add some more spaces. The forums don't make formatting this stuff an exact science.

[quote name='shipwreck']Gotcha, my laptop screen is smaller. I'll jump on the iMac and add some more spaces. The forums don't make formatting this stuff an exact science.[/QUOTE]

Just thought I would point it out

edit: there you go, its fixed now

Format this sucka! But seriously, I'm starting to get confused about Shipwreck release dates. BTW, what's wrong with the podcast coming out on the same day as the Cagcast?

[quote name='fart_bubble']Just thought I would point it out

edit: there you, its fixed now[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm sure it's still funny on super huge monitors with the resolution set high, but it's going to scale to the browser window size no matter what I do as far as I know. The version on the front page should always look a little cleaner because it has a set width.

I never knew Mrs. Shipwreck was such a great singer.

Oh and I LOVED Duke Nukem 3D back in the day. I just bought the game and played online coop. The game is great.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yep, forgot to add Burnout Paradise to the outline. Thanks for the reminder.

I didn't even realize that Geon had a PS3 version in the works.[/quote]
I think it was announced like a week ago, so it's surprising that it's coming out so soon. They did pick a great time to release it, with MM9, BP, and Wipeout HD to compete with.

Great quicktime crashed firefox yet again...while I was downloading the Fifa demo...which is 1GB...:whistle2:?

mrs shipwreck give ship a little slack. I'll watch the J-E-T-S over a Bengals game anytime regardless of what happens to Favre.

Good show as always. Talk to you two later.

Go Marauders!

[quote name='hoofrog']In defense of DesertEagle... I have never heard the Delilah song either.[/QUOTE]

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm the Unabomber 2; I listen to 80-90's music, cause I'm an old fart. Mainly Smiths, Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order. I'm not really up on what the 'kids' are listening to.

I do know that Umbrella Song by Rhianna, though, so I'm kinda cool, I guess.

Anyways, great show. I just got Disgaea on the DS, and after playing the PSP version, it's looks like it got a light hit with the ugly stick. The smoothness of the PS2 and PSP version is gone, but if you never played those, you'll probably never notice.

Stat geeks like Ship (and me) will love Disgaea.

BTW, My wife and sister monopolize the TV for America's Next Top Model. The show drives me nuts; its about nothing.

I'm about half way through the podcast - you weren't kidding - there are a metric ton of DS games.

Major points:

• How could someone as nerdy as Ship forget Panthor's name? You even called him a panther. (I mean that in the nicest possible way.)
  • I remember when I had the Slime Pit as a wee (wii?) lad and the directions specifically said not to put Panthor or Moss Man in it because it would ruin their fur. Maybe I should have just done it anyway since apparently Moss Man hasn't held up well.
  • Kirby Super Star probably could have used a little more love in the podcast. I'm no expert on it, never having played the original (like others, Goldeneye practically was my world at that time.) Nintendo Power had an article on it last month and they talked about the differing level difficulties - there are some nooby platform levels for newcomer gamers plus some of the platforming sections further on are supposed to be really tough. I think Ship was bugging Mrs. Ship at that point, which made it quite easy just to move along, but that game piques my interest.
  • I did something I haven't done for a long time - I bought a game on release day. I did that for Smash Bros. as well, but I'm not sure when before that. Despite the fact that I have a ton of games that you guys have pointed me towards (Marvel UA, Williams Pinball, NiGHTS, Song Summoner on my iPod) and a large quantity that recently arrived from Goozex (I almost beat Spider-Man for the PS1 - that is a great game, I'm glad you and Wombat talked about it. Plus I haven't even touched Dewy's Adventure, Zelda PH and Flatout Ultimate Carnage to name a few that I've received in trades recently.) Anyway, the point of the rambling is that even though I have plenty of games to play at the moment, I went and bought de Blob on Tuesday (I decided that a soundtrack would be cool to put on my iPod, so I went there - of course, I ended up grabbing Wario Master of Disguise while I was there too for $17.) Anyway, I've been looking forward to de Blob for a while, and I decided that rather than being my normal CAG self, I really felt like I should support a company making an original game. I finally got the chance to play for about two hours tonight and I really enjoyed it. THQ FTW - way to not pump out another SpongeBob game!
  • I wonder if my marriage could stand recording a podcast where I had ample opportunities to display my nerd cred?
Thanks guys, I've enjoyed what I've read so far!:applause:

I'll give this a listen tomorrow at work.

I can't wait to get Wario Land, I loves me some classic 2D side-scrolling....but not when it comes in the form of download content. fuck Capcom! That stuff should already be in the damn game. :bs: :wall:

I'm already liking the show so far. But I gotta say: I'm sorry. That's an insane amount of games to write up. You guys are doing the same amount of work as an entire website's preview team who do it full time. Does THQ know that people actually play games in the spring and summer? It's like their release list threw up all over this week.

Thanks to everyone who understands the amount of work that goes into the podcast, especially weeks with 40+ games that are 50% crap. We appreciate it a lot. And thanks to Treehouse Gamer who helps shoulder some of the load. Yes, that pun's intended.

Your short He-Man conversation cracked me up, especially the comment about Mossman. I never got Stinkor as a kid, for fear of the smell being too awful. :p Ship, do you know about the $10 He-Man dvd sets at Best Buy?

Another nice show by the Shipwrecks. Loved the tangent when you hit that string of horrible DS games. Mrs. Ship was truly flustered and Ship was throwing some good He-Man curveballs as well. :lol:

I knew in the end that Mrs. Ship was pissed about her fantasy football loss to me last week and her true anger came out shortly after the He-Man rant. ;)

Great stuff as usual. :applause:

Boo to the shot at the Chargers.;) The part where Shipwreck compares Dropcast to a combination of every puzzle game ever made should definitely make the highlights episode if you ever decide to make one.

I feel bad for Mrs. Shipwreck: she gets all the crap games dumped on her and when there's a game to preview that she would like (Time Hollow) Shipwreck gets it.

As for "Hey There Delilah," I'm with DesertEagleXIX, I've never heard of it. But then again, I don't watch TV or listen to the radio. Call me out of touch, but who else here knows of Fairguson?

I know that what you do with your own money is your own business, but I hardly think that $20 for WipEout HD is a good deal, Shipwreck. If you can't lend, trade, or sell it then you don't own it. Twenty bucks for a game rental is madness in my eyes.

I'll say it again, thanks a lot Shipwrecks, the number of games is getting out of hand, and you guys do this for us. Thanks.

I actually just recently started listening to the Foreplay cagcast, I think this is my second time. Great show. I too have never heard "Hey There Delilah," I actually thought it was an old song from the 70s or 80s. Keep up the great work. I'll make sure to check out the next one.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Thanks to everyone who understands the amount of work that goes into the podcast, especially weeks with 40+ games that are 50% crap. We appreciate it a lot. And thanks to Treehouse Gamer who helps shoulder some of the load. Yes, that pun's intended.[/quote]

Not only do you cover them (when I suppose you could just skip over them) you make it entertaining to listen to. It's kind of weird to think about actually.)

I went and looked up Hey There Delilah - never heard it before either.

Yeah I don't know that song either. All I listen to are podcasts, sports talk radio, and video game/wrestling soundtracks. The most up-to-date rock I have on my Zune is 3 Doors Down and Nickelback (is Nickelback even still around?)

I've never heard the song on the radio either, mostly because I avoid the pop stations and stick to classic rock/metal stations whenever I'm driving.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I've never heard the song on the radio either, mostly because I avoid the pop stations and stick to classic rock/metal stations whenever I'm driving.[/quote]

Well, aren't you hardcore...:bomb:

Dang, without even listening to the show yet, I picked up Kirby and Disgaea. :) This is my weekend to catch up on various podcasts, so I'll write more later, once I've listened. :)

/tk

[quote name='Treehouse Gamer']Well, aren't you hardcore...:bomb:[/quote]
No, but it's stupid to act like people are out of touch with society if they haven't heard a song before, because there are definitely ways to avoid hearing songs.

Mushi King is basically like Dinosaur King, but you get to battle bugs instead.
I saw it in one of the arcades when I was in Asia. Hell, they even have an anime based on it.

WTF at the intro song, lol...

Shippy, you NEVER played Disgaea? WTH? you just destroyed my world. ;_; btw, the PS2 version is the best version because the audio is inferior in the DS version from what i read.

and i gotta say that this is the geekiest i've ever heard of mrs.shipwreck. My Little Pony figures? Nancy Drew games collection? fantasy football? haha, so cool.

Finally got to listen to this today at work. :) Great show, as usual. I know you guys went a bit more off-topic than usual, but I really liked it. I've already picked up Kirby and Disgaea, thankfully (for my bank account), there wasn't anything else you guys mentioned that I can't live without. ;)

Oh, and I wouldn't have any problem with you releasing the same day as the CAGCast. But really, I just want you to release every week. I know you guys are busy, but the selfish part of me wants a new show every week! :D

/tk

bread's done
Back