Palin struggles (badly) in Couric interview

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Wow...If she can't deal with Katie Couric, she's finished. It's so obvious Palin only memorized a few answers here. She comes off terribly, looking very inexperienced on these big issues and stumbling on almost every question. One giant sucking sound pause occurred when Couric asked for another example of McCain's position, and once Palin's great talking points were questioned, she has no answers at all...just repeats the same phrases ad nauseum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg6hF0nShQ

It's all over her face. She knows she's a fraud. She knows she is in over her head. No wonder the Mccain camp wants to prevent a prolonged debate with Biden...and it's no wonder he "temporarily suspended" his campaign rather than letting her run it in his place. She needs more coaching and he doesn't trust her to make more media appearances or run anything on a national level. His little gimmick is wearing thin.

*edit* This part of the interview is even worse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokTjEdaUGg

Holy run-on sentences batman! She makes Bush look good in terms of grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Capitalizt']Wow...If she can't deal with Katie Couric, she's finished. It's so obvious Palin only memorized a few answers here. She comes off terribly, looking very inexperienced on these big issues and stumbling on almost every question. One giant sucking sound pause occurred when Couric asked for another example of McCain's position, and once Palin's great talking points are questioned, she has no answers at all...just repeats the same phrases ad nauseum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg6hF0nShQ

It's all over her face. She knows she's a fraud. She knows she is in over her head. No wonder the Mccain camp wants to prevent a prolonged debate with Biden...and it's no wonder he "temporarily suspended" his campaign rather than letting her run it in his place. She needs more coaching and he doesn't trust her to make more media appearances or run anything on a national level. His little gimmick is wearing thin.[/QUOTE]

I have to say.......it wasnt as bad as I was expecting. Dont get me wrong she still came across as a dumb bitch given prepared answers but not as badly as I would have expected. She actually did well enough that even if she didnt fool us she probaly fooled the ignorant masses.

I heard this on the radio.

Is it safe to say that the hott newness of her have completely worn off? I guess when people are loosing their jobs,homes and very lively hood they dont have time to get lost in the eyes of the hott VP.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I heard this on the radio.

Is it safe to say that the hott newness of her have completely worn off? I guess when people are loosing their jobs,homes and very lively hood they dont have time to get lost in the eyes of the hott VP.[/QUOTE]

Well she is falling in the polls but not horribly. Most recent polls I saw were 52% favorable vs 58% before. So not that huge of a difference. I think the ignorance of the American people will probally carry her straight through the general.

You might be thinking of this from the wrong angle Magus. She might be popular BECAUSE she is stupid. She really connects with the people. One of them. Like Bush.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']You might be thinking of this from the wrong angle Magus. She might be popular BECAUSE she is stupid. She really connects with the people. One of them. Like Bush.[/QUOTE]

True, but I dont think that people generally believe people like Bush or Palin are stupid or ignorant. Most Americans dont think they are despite the fact that they read 1 book every 3 years and dont touch a newspaper unless its for the funnies or sports.

My guess is the common man looks at people like Bush/Palin and doesnt see a retard they see the common man and since they think they are average to above average intelligence they see the same in Palin/Bush.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']You might be thinking of this from the wrong angle Magus. She might be popular BECAUSE she is stupid. She really connects with the people. One of them. Like Bush.[/QUOTE]

That's my money. Utter failure in the debates and total inability to coherently discuss policy outside of sound bites is exactly what a lot of people are looking for. You know: "they're not know it all, educated, elite liberals."

She stumbles over the same verbatim answer about Davis: "my understanding is that he recused himself from the dealings..."

Wow. No fuckin' WONDER she's being held from the press. She can't handle Katie fuckin' Couric?

She's dead. She's got a dance recital in front of the entire country next week and hasn't been practicing.

Vegas odds (kidding) are 3-1 against the debate happening.

EDIT: Yow. Never in my life would I have guessed someone running for political office could beat Dan Quayle for the "vapid" throne. But not only does she win, she makes him look comparatively unqualified for it!

Kouric.jpg

Not that Biden is a political saint either, but come on...

[quote name='mykevermin']She stumbles over the same verbatim answer about Davis: "my understanding is that he recused himself from the dealings..."

Wow. No fuckin' WONDER she's being held from the press. She can't handle Katie fuckin' Couric?

She's dead. She's got a dance recital in front of the entire country next week and hasn't been practicing.

Vegas odds (kidding) are 3-1 against the debate happening.

EDIT: Yow. Never in my life would I have guessed someone running for political office could beat Dan Quayle for the "vapid" throne. But not only does she win, she makes him look comparatively unqualified for it![/QUOTE]

O I disagree she has been practicing like crazy. You can see it in her answers. I mean she says the same few lines that she has obviously been trained to say over and over. The problem is that it seems the McCain camp didnt realize just how stupid this woman is. As has been said the common man is a moron....so when you pick one to be your running mate you have to accept they can only remember so many tricks. Im just waiting for an interviewer to say the wrong key word and have Palin respond by barking like a dog.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
Kouric.jpg

Not that Biden is a political saint either, but come on...[/QUOTE]

Oh, meh. A snippet in time.

That said, there does appear to be a visage of competition for "who gets to be the first person to expose Sarah Palin?"

That's part of the reaction to her vow of silence, methinks. People want, as egotistic journalists, to make their name by exposing her. So perhaps Couric, who has credibility issues for whatever reason (tits), thought that she could establish herself at Palin's expense.

Now, the thing is, taking down Palin intellectually seems to be as difficult a prospect, on the surface, as dropkicking an infant. But her protectionism has made her a particularly elusive infant.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4478156n

hahahahahahahaha oh wow

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahah

man... she keeps pwning herself. hard.

She could've changed the meaning of what she said like McCain does all the time -- she could've just said that the comment was meant to underscore her understanding of the importance of solid foreign relations, not that it gives her foreign policy experience... but no, she dug her hole much deeper when given the chance to fill it in. God damn she's dumb. Given her credentials, though, that's not very surprising.

Eh, I know I'll take flak for this, but just to play devils advocate...

It may not be that she's entirely stupid, a lot of it comes off as just really scared. I think she is in over her head. I think she feels the weight of millions of expectations on her. I think she's afraid to say what she really wants and is afraid of saying something to piss off McCain, etc.

In other words, I don't know that she's just stupid. I think she's intimidated, scared, and inexperienced. But if you had her over at a backyard bbq and got her in a discussion, she'd probably be a lot more intelligent in her answers (at least as intelligent as most of us here in our discussions).

[quote name='thrustbucket']In other words, I don't know that she's just stupid. I think she's intimidated, scared, and inexperienced.[/QUOTE]

You're definitely right -- she's not just stupid, she does have other problems.

(1) She's dumb. If she's too stupid to handle an interview, she's too stupid to handle vice presidential responsibilities.

(2) She's intimidated, scared and inexperienced. If she can't even handle running for vice president, how is she going to handle the job?

I agree she definitely seems scared and in over her head. I still don't think that she's really too smart or informed about the kinds of things that she should be as a vice presidential nominee.

The foreign policy thing, however, is inexcusable. I don't see why they keep bullshitting on that. Being in Alaska doesn't give you foreign policy experience, the end.

I just really hope that they don't win. It would be terrible for women to have the first female vice president be so incapable (and along the same lines I hope Obama doesn't totally fuck up and that shit doesn't happens that makes his administration look terrible).

[quote name='thrustbucket']Eh, I know I'll take flak for this, but just to play devils advocate...

It may not be that she's entirely stupid, a lot of it comes off as just really scared. I think she is in over her head. I think she feels the weight of millions of expectations on her. I think she's afraid to say what she really wants and is afraid of saying something to piss off McCain, etc.

In other words, I don't know that she's just stupid. I think she's intimidated, scared, and inexperienced. But if you had her over at a backyard bbq and got her in a discussion, she'd probably be a lot more intelligent in her answers (at least as intelligent as most of us here in our discussions).[/QUOTE]

Well 2 things. First I don't think she is any worse off then the average American......but thats the thing! Even if the average American is of average intelligence they dont read, study and would be like a deer in headlights in an interview just like her. Palin is the average American, she is ignorant of many many things yet now is expected to give opinions on those things. So yes she comes off stupid half because she is ignorant and half because she is scared shitless.

And I take offense to you saying she is as smart as anyone here......I consider myself of average intelligence and probably am not that much smarter then her if at all.....however I read and do research and try to be open minded and looking at this board many others here do too. Thats more then she can say.

Also do you not see an inherent problem with arguing that she is as good as the CAG politics forums?

She's intimidated because she truly feels that God put her in this place and failure might lessen her in the eyes of not only her family, state, the country, but Christians across the world. This is what happens when you put an evangelical in the hot seat about real affairs. You just can't say God will take care of it and it will be OK. Bush tried that and look where we are now.

I'm no big fan of her but I won't call her stupid. She does have a college degree and she did become the governor of a state. You could say that Bush was a stupid governor but he has and had a million times the connections and money that Palin could ever dream of. On the other hand, I think she uses her gender and sexuality like a weapon. If her husband ran for mayor and governor, I don't think he would be elected even though he seems a little more with it and real.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']it's sad but stupidity runs deep in the Republican party ...Dan Quayle... need i say more[/quote]

Yes, the Republican Party (as a whole) is so stupid that they figured out how to get George W. Bush elected......... Twice

[quote name='paddlefoot']Yes, the Republican Party (as a whole) is so stupid that they figured out how to get George W. Bush elected......... Twice[/quote]

Could've been Bigfoot and he would've won. They "lost" enough votes from minority areas to ensure a Republican win. Don't forget the harassment of black people as soon as they came within a block of the polling station. There were guys telling people that they would be arrested on the spot if they had unpaid bills or child support. Hell, Florida just ran a primary and somehow they ended up with more votes than voters...

That interview further proves that McCain does not have the judgment to be president. If he had the judgment Palin would not be doing that interview. Someone who is better than the average American would.

I honestly feel sorry for the poor gal. She's simply not ready for everything that is going to happen.

[quote name='nasum']I honestly feel sorry for the poor gal. She's simply not ready for everything that is going to happen.[/quote]

Now they have you. All they have to do is reel you in. She'll keep playing the harried working mom until there's more and more backlash against sort of criticism.

Don't feel sorry for her. She said yes. She could've been honest and said she wasn't ready. She could've looked at the six month old kid with Down's and decided that maybe he needed a mom that was around more than a couple minutes out of the day. Maybe she could've seen that she was about to become a grandmother and cut back on it but she's full speed ahead on her quest for God's truth. I feel sorry for her family.

[quote name='nasum']I honestly feel sorry for the poor gal. She's simply not ready for everything that is going to happen.[/quote]

What a nation of candy-asses.

I don't think Palin's stupid, I just think she's too inexperienced with media to be on the national stage. She's only dealt with media in one of the least populated states in the country, and now she's under one of the biggest media spotlights in the world.

And obviously, if you can't handle that then you can't handle the pressure of being VP, much less president if something happened to McCain. But I don't think it's a reflection of her intelligence. Just being nervous, scared, etc. and unsure of what to say to fit the party/campaign line.

[quote name='Capitalizt']The rest of the interview is even worse.. She reminds me so much of a beauty contestant struggling to find a clever sounding answer. ughhh..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokTjEdaUGg[/QUOTE]

Katie: Follow up question. Do you realize how big of a moron you sound by saying shit like this?

It would have solved her credibility problem in a heart beat.

41s to 45s are probably the least damaging of that video but after watching it over and over I can't help but LOL.

they're. in. the. state. that. I. am. the. executive. of.

Surprise Surprise! Mccain wants to duck out of the Vice-Presidential debates too..

McCain Camp: Let's Push Back Biden-Palin Match-Up, September 24, 2008 7:04 PM ABC News' Teddy Davis and Rigel Anderson Report: The McCain campaign told ABC News on Wednesday that John McCain wants to postpone Friday's presidential debate until Thursday, Oct. 2.

The Arizona senator would like the vice presidential debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden, which is currently scheduled to take place on Thursday, Oct. 2 in St. Louis, Missouri, to be scheduled for a later unspecified date.

The details about what McCain is seeking, which were provided by a McCain aide who spoke on the condition of anonymity, came a few hours after the Republican presidential candidate announced that he was suspending campaigning so he could return to Washington, D.C., to try to forge a consensus on a financial bailout package.

McCain's public call for a debate delay was rebuffed by Barack Obama who joined fellow Democrats in arguing that a president needs to be able to multi-task.

"I believe that we should continue to have the debate," Obama said in Clearwater Florida. "It's my belief that this is exactly the time when the American people need to hear from the person who, in approximately 40 days, will be responsible for dealing with this mess."
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/mccain-camp-let.html

And remember, Remember, Mccain wanted to delay HIS debate to Thursday October 2nd, which *just happens* to be the date Palin is scheduled to debate Biden. Now that he is trying to push back hers as well, it seems obvious to me that this was the plan from the beginning and the whole "going back to Washington" thing was a distraction. He is desperate to give her more time to be coached. __________________

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think Palin's stupid, I just think she's too inexperienced with media to be on the national stage. She's only dealt with media in one of the least populated states in the country, and now she's under one of the biggest media spotlights in the world.

And obviously, if you can't handle that then you can't handle the pressure of being VP, much less president if something happened to McCain. But I don't think it's a reflection of her intelligence. Just being nervous, scared, etc. and unsure of what to say to fit the party/campaign line.[/QUOTE]

Right. This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post.

This just goes to show that her being chosen was indeed a hail mary. Sometimes hail mary's work, but usually they don't.

There is always the factor/chance of people watching her and putting themselves in her shoes; having thoughts like "Wow she's nervous, I would be too. Look at how the nation has her under a microscope"..... "She's just an average person like me, with a similar background, not one of these elites like every other politician we've had, she seems really sweet as she tries to not embarrass the evil Republicans and struggles to say the right thing like I probably would - maybe it's time we had someone like myself running things"...... etc etc.

Of course, it all depends on how many in America have thoughts like that while watching this stuff. I really have no idea, but it will be interesting to see.

She doesn't seem sweet at all, she seems like a venomous bitch, in all three interviews (even to Hannity). McCain and Biden are both warm and friendly, Obama is usually like a business person... Palin has the least charismatic temperament of the four. If they wanted to charm voters into making a bad decision they should've gone with Huckabee.

[quote name='Koggit']She doesn't seem sweet at all, she seems like a venomous bitch, in all three interviews (even to Hannity). McCain and Biden are both warm and friendly, Obama is usually like a business person... Palin has the least charismatic temperament of the four. If they wanted to charm voters into making a bad decision they should've gone with Huckabee.[/QUOTE]

Biden is warm and friendly? What planet are you from?

And considering how many times a day Joe Biden can put his foot in his mouth, I'd say he and Palin were on about equal footing in the incompetent department. Biden's just been a senator for so long that he knows how to make a performance more ingenuous.

[quote name='Koggit']She doesn't seem sweet at all, she seems like a venomous bitch, in all three interviews (even to Hannity). McCain and Biden are both warm and friendly, Obama is usually like a business person... Palin has the least charismatic temperament of the four. If they wanted to charm voters into making a bad decision they should've gone with Huckabee.[/QUOTE]

Exactly I dont see her as warm or sweet or normal at all. Her family is far freaking from it. It would be one thing if this was really just some soccer mom but we are talking about someone with a demeanor, attitude and history of craving power and abusing it.....

[quote name='MSI Magus'] but we are talking about someone with a demeanor, attitude and history of craving power and abusing it.....[/QUOTE]

I'd apply that description to pretty much all Politicians. It's a pre-req for a life in politics, apparently.

Which leads to another sad reality: The people we really should have leading us or running our country would never lower themselves to the spit and bile required to campaign and politic.

The most wise and qualified to lead, usually don't crave power or control enough to want to.

I don't think there is an answer to that, it's just a symptom of democracy.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'd apply that description to pretty much all Politicians.[/QUOTE]

Then you're a cynic. That's far from the case.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Eh, I know I'll take flak for this, but just to play devils advocate...

In other words, I don't know that she's just stupid. I think she's intimidated, scared, and inexperienced. But if you had her over at a backyard bbq and got her in a discussion, she'd probably be a lot more intelligent in her answers (at least as intelligent as most of us here in our discussions).[/quote]
If all of that is true, then she was stupid for accepting the offer to be McCain's running mate, that's a stupid decision in my book.

McCain is also stupid himself for selecting her.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Actually it would be better all around if McCain cited health problems, stepped down, and Romney took the nomination.[/QUOTE]

Ya, there isnt enough time for people to find out that Romney is a flip flopping sleeze ball that made his money raping the common man. If it was Romney Palin id be tempted to go G Harvey.

http://www.democracyarsenal.org/2008/09/palin-iran-and.html

Couric: You met yesterday with former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, who is for direct diplomacy with both Iran and Syria. Do you believe the U.S. should negotiate with leaders like President Assad and Ahmadinejad?

Palin: I think, with Ahmadinejad, personally, he is not one to negotiate with. You can't just sit down with him with no preconditions being met. Barack Obama is so off-base in his proclamation that he would meet with some of these leaders around our world who would seek to destroy America and that, and without preconditions being met. That's beyond naïve. And it's beyond bad judgment.

Couric: Are you saying Henry Kissinger …

Palin: It's dangerous.

Couric: … is naïve for supporting that?

Palin: I've never heard Henry Kissinger say, "Yeah, I'll meet with these leaders without preconditions being met." Diplomacy is about doing a lot of background work first and shoring up allies and positions and figuring out what sanctions perhaps could be implemented if things weren't gonna go right. That's part of diplomacy.

Actually. That's exactly Henry Kissinger's position. And Couric even went ahead and confirmed it with Kissinger after the interview. Here is what Kissinger said just last week at a forum of five secretaries of state.

“I’m in favor of negotiating with Iran. And one – (unintelligible) – of negotiation is to put before Iran our vision of a Middle East – of a stable Middle East and our notion of nuclear proliferation at a high enough level so that they have to study it."

[quote name='MSI Magus']Exactly I dont see her as warm or sweet or normal at all. Her family is far freaking from it. It would be one thing if this was really just some soccer mom but we are talking about someone with a demeanor, attitude and history of craving power and abusing it.....[/quote]

I know thrust already said something, but you really need to be stop. The amount of arrogance and hypocrisy of every politican in Washington is extremely high. I don't know if you can have a long-term career in federal politics without being a narcissist.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I know thrust already said something, but you really need to be stop. The amount of arrogance and hypocrisy of every politican in Washington is extremely high. I don't know if you can have a long-term career in federal politics without being a narcissist.[/QUOTE]

Agreed but there are different level of hypocrisy and narcissism. There are people like Obama, McCain and Biden that I think geniounly do have some good will in them and arnt just out to fuck people over or force their own views on people. Then you have the Romney, Guilllani, Palins Cheney and Bushes that either think they were sent by God and one of a kind or have some fucked up agenda that their pushing to either fatten their own pockets, start a war or get religion in every facet of life.

bread's done
Back