* * * * * 1 votes

CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

#1711 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12737 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

Bought a bunch of nice beers for X-Mas for my dad, brother and myself to enjoy. Even picked up a couple new ones. I saw a New Belguim Yuzu Beer. I love Yuzu so it was a no brainier, I had to buy it. And tried a new beer called Einstok which is in Icelandic white ale. Sounded intresting.

2uyshw4.jpg

fvzbx2.jpg

#1712 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

Never tried either of those Rodimus - you have to let us know how they are.

I had a couple bombers over the holidays - Unobtanium old ale from a local brewery Straight to Ale and a Yazoo Sue imperial smoked porter from Yazoo outta Nashville. Both were aged about a year and were excellent! Also tried some Terrapin Hi-5 IPA which was ok - nothing special really.

My wife is drinking this OMission gluten free beer. It's real nice because they brew it with barley but use an enzyme to remove gluten. Tastes pretty darn good - well basically like a regular barley brewed beer. She likes the pale ale. Noticed today or yesterday that Stone is putting out their first gluten free (gluten "reduced") beer (an IPA) using the enzyme process. Also - in a moment of frustration because whatever store she was at didn't have OMission - she picked up a mix 12 pack of Woodchuck. Ughh it's awful - we both have been chugging through those just to get rid of them.

We are all kinda a bit under the weather here so I only had one beer on new year's eve - a DFH 120 min. Figured if I was gonna have just one why not make it a big one! Haven't had it in years but it was about how I remembered it. It's just not worth the price in my opinion. A friend of mine gave me this bottle a few months back so it wasn't really aged at all.

We got a nice haul for Christmas this year. My wife got me a bottle of Don Julio anejo and she got a couple bottles of wine and a bottle of Bulleit 10 year from work related gifts.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1713 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

Trying something new even though the price for it this small bottle is $28 (That's 17 Hurricanes!). If this works well then I might say goodbye to those cheapy's.

Qkp4iRd.jpg

Who am I kiddin', love me some Hurricane's.

#CheapassDrunkSigningOff

#1714 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

I bought a case of this. Didn't do much at all and also smells skunky to me.

JVudpaz.jpg

#1715 GatorBeerGeek   President of the PSN OT Michelle Jenneke fan club CAGiversary!   8612 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

GatorBeerGeek

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

I bought a case of this. Didn't do much at all and also smells skunky to me.

The skunky smell in beer won't happen with cans.  That skunky smell is from exposure to UV light.  It is why a lot of beers in green bottles are known for being skunky.  Rolling Rock in bottles definitely could be skunky, but not cans. 

Check out Inverted Access for gaming news and reviews.

GatorBeerGeek.png

#1716 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:23 PM

The skunky smell in beer won't happen with cans.  That skunky smell is from exposure to UV light.  It is why a lot of beers in green bottles are known for being skunky.  Rolling Rock in bottles definitely could be skunky, but not cans. 

Yeah it was in bottles, didn't see that it said cans on that box lol.

#1717 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12737 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:49 AM

Everytime I see Rolling Rock I always think of:

roll%20and%20%20rocker--article_image.jp

#1718 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

Woke up to this sitting on my desk. 750ml. The alcohol fairy came!

Jagermeister_Spirits.jpg

Not too bad.

#1719 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

About to crack open one of these. Always have good times with Four Loko.

Four+Loko+Watermelon+3.jpg

#1720 Nogib   *squeezing* the *juice* CAGiversary!   1455 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

If people are into sours at all, this shit is delicious! 11355053_924183600938398_862693664_n.jpg

End of line.

#1721 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

#1722 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12737 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

If people are into sours at all, this shit is delicious! 11355053_924183600938398_862693664_n.jpg

This looks like something I might like. Wonder if I can find it down here.

#1723 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

Picked up some of that Not Your Father's Root Beer.  It's not that bad.  Not as great as I expected it to be, but it's not bad at all.  I can't even taste any alcohol in it, but you you drink enough that 5.9 will sneak up on you.  I'm not really sure what one I like better, Row Hard Root Beer or this.  Row Hard has more of an alcohol taste that seems a bit much, but good.  This like I said you can't even taste alcohol.  

Posted Image

#1724 zxslippy  

zxslippy

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:59 AM

Boxes of WIne every day all day =)

#1725 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:58 AM

So apparently people at our local store can't buy alcohol until 6am on Sundays. Had a bottle of rum and I was about to checkout when a clerk told us that. Not exactly sure why that is a rule.

#1726 ChiefBrody1027   40th Anniversary CAG CAGiversary!   1180 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

ChiefBrody1027

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:05 AM

Lagunitas Born Yestetday. Great stuff. Highly recommend it.

Chief_Brody_1027.png

#1727 sweeetja713   Damn you CAG mobile theme! CAGiversary!   2403 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

sweeetja713

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

So apparently people at our local store can't buy alcohol until 6am on Sundays. Had a bottle of rum and I was about to checkout when a clerk told us that. Not exactly sure why that is a rule.

State law in Illinois is noon on Sunday at gas stations, grocery and liquor stores. Really sucks for football.

On another note, way too much cheap beer last night. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Even with consuming tons of water throughout the night after I stopped drinking. Course it may also be a touch of nicotine poisoning from too many cigarettes going along with the beer.

Wondering why I did such a long quote, didn't quote at all, or my post is riddled with typos? 90% of the time I'm on a mobile device and editing and formatting are too time consuming.

TL:  https://www.cheapass...me-have-a-look/

#1728 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

State law in Illinois is noon on Sunday at gas stations, grocery and liquor stores. Really sucks for football.

On another note, way too much cheap beer last night. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Even with consuming tons of water throughout the night after I stopped drinking. Course it may also be a touch of nicotine poisoning from too many cigarettes going along with the beer.

I don't realize how much more I smoke when I drink. A couple days I would smoke so much it started to 'scorch' my throat. Had to put down the cigs for the night.

#1729 Chuck Stank   Colts/Hawkeyes Fan CAGiversary!   1003 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Chuck Stank

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

I love my Coors Light.

Posted Image

#1730 Nogib   *squeezing* the *juice* CAGiversary!   1455 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:20 AM

Anybody pick up some of the BCBS Rare that came out on black friday?  Curious to see if anyone bit at that ~$55-$60 per bottle places were charging.

End of line.

#1731 GatorBeerGeek   President of the PSN OT Michelle Jenneke fan club CAGiversary!   8612 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

GatorBeerGeek

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

Anybody pick up some of the BCBS Rare that came out on black friday?  Curious to see if anyone bit at that ~$55-$60 per bottle places were charging.

I do not think Georgia got any because we still have a ABV cap of 14% on beer.  In fact, we got a shipment of the wrong batch of regular Bourbon County so it couldn't be sold here (there was a 13.7 batch but they sent the 14+ stuff).  

I am not sure if I would have paid that for a 500 ml bottle.  I bought 6 of the 22oz ones a few years ago when I found them in a bar in Indianapolis.  With their crazy tax it was about $65 a piece.  Difference was I knew how good that batch was.  I still have one left.  If I knew this one was as good I would probably pay it.

Check out Inverted Access for gaming news and reviews.

GatorBeerGeek.png

#1732 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

Drinking Jagermeister this morning while surfing the web lol. I'm a slow drinker so I got a good buzz going after an hour or two filling up 1/4 of a cup twice.

On another note... I don't get why people like to rush to down alcohol as fast as possible. I know someone who's an alcoholic. He either gets black out drunk, or does stupid shit. Maybe I'm a minority here, but I like to pace myself when it comes to alcohol.

#1733 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12737 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

Drinking Jagermeister this morning while surfing the web lol. I'm a slow drinker so I got a good buzz going after an hour or two filling up 1/4 of a cup twice.

On another note... I don't get why people like to rush to down alcohol as fast as possible. I know someone who's an alcoholic. He either gets black out drunk, or does stupid shit. Maybe I'm a minority here, but I like to pace myself when it comes to alcohol.

So your friend is the alcoholic yet you're drinking Jager in the morning? Not that I'm one to judge. On my days off I like to have a 10am beer every now and then.

But to answer your post I pace myself big time. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to get at a nice buzzed state and I haven't been shit faced drunk in years. And I don't get drunk off beer anymore. I usually drink beer during meals or just to relax. My drink of choice these days is either bourbon or whisky. I only get bourbon because it's cheap and after 1 glass all hard liquor tastes the same to me. Weather I'm drinking a nice Irish whiskey or a cheap $10 bottle of E&J. 

#1734 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

So your friend is the alcoholic yet you're drinking Jager in the morning? Not that I'm one to judge. On my days off I like to have a 10am beer every now and then.

But to answer your post I pace myself big time. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to get at a nice buzzed state and I haven't been shit faced drunk in years. And I don't get drunk off beer anymore. I usually drink beer during meals or just to relax. My drink of choice these days is either bourbon or whisky. I only get bourbon because it's cheap and after 1 glass all hard liquor tastes the same to me. Weather I'm drinking a nice Irish whiskey or a cheap $10 bottle of E&J. 

Drinking during a certain time of day doesn't make you an alcoholic, in my opinion. It's when people fiend over it or get smashed a lot.

I'll have to try an Irish whisky sometime lol.

Well I'm drinking Joose "Original" now. Probably going to be my last beer for at least a couple weeks. I want to save up every penny for a goal of mine that's video game related. Cheers.

#1735 justadude  

justadude

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:56 AM

I'm spoiled in that where I live there's an abundance of microbrews and tons of selection and even the smallest of liquor stores. One of my favorite domestic brewers is Allagash and they're only a few hours north, such a great brewery to visit.

Another very highly regarded and popular brewer in my backyard is Treehouse.

#1736 justadude  

justadude

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:58 AM

Picked up some of that Not Your Father's Root Beer. It's not that bad. Not as great as I expected it to be, but it's not bad at all. I can't even taste any alcohol in it, but you you drink enough that 5.9 will sneak up on you. I'm not really sure what one I like better, Row Hard Root Beer or this. Row Hard has more of an alcohol taste that seems a bit much, but good. This like I said you can't even taste alcohol.

I'm not a huge fan of these styles of beer but after trying Not Your Fathers I had the Coney Island Root Beer and frankly I preferred it. The Not Your Fathers was more medicinal with sickly-sweet sugar flavor, but the Coney Island was like drinking spiked A&W root beer.

Like I said tho, I'm not a huge fan of that kind of beer.

The reason it all tastes the same is because no one actually savors the flavor of Irish whiskey. It's generally shooter fodder. You want to see a difference, buy Makers Mark then buy Johnny Walker Double Black. They're both whiskey at the core but quite different in finishing.

Or if you want to be cheap about it, look for Four Roses Bourbon then compare that to something like Cutty Sark. You will see not all whiskey is created equal.

#1737 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

I'm not a huge fan of these styles of beer but after trying Not Your Fathers I had the Coney Island Root Beer and frankly I preferred it. The Not Your Fathers was more medicinal with sickly-sweet sugar flavor, but the Coney Island was like drinking spiked A&W root beer.

Like I said tho, I'm not a huge fan of that kind of beer.

The reason it all tastes the same is because no one actually savors the flavor of Irish whiskey. It's generally shooter fodder. You want to see a difference, buy Makers Mark then buy Johnny Walker Double Black. They're both whiskey at the core but quite different in finishing.

Or if you want to be cheap about it, look for Four Roses Bourbon then compare that to something like Cutty Sark. You will see not all whiskey is created equal.

Coney Island came out where I'm at not long after Not Your Fathers and Row Hard.  I think it's the better of the 3.  None are something I'd want all the time, but every now and then are fine.  They also have an orange cream ale.  It's not bad, but for me it left a bad after taste.  They do have beer, but I have yet to see that make it to the St. Louis area.

I picked up 2 more 2nd Shift LSD Stouts.  I think it's only 11.5%, but for me the buzz lasts a lot longer than any other beer I've ever had.  I have a bottle of Deschutes The Abyss.  Never made it in time to get the Cognac or Rye versions.  I'm going to try it today or tomorrow.

Posted Image

#1738 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   594 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

When I drink, I stop giving a f*ck

O:)

Travis2310.png

#1739 wrecktum   Goat CAGiversary!   208 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

Favorite breweries: Stone. Ninkasi, Belching Beaver, Green Flash, Modern Times, Ballast Point, Knee Deep

They just seem to be consistent in different  ways. Stone makes nice, hoppy brews and are always making very unique experimental beers. Ninkasi is consistent with their IPA's, which are my favorite, as is the case with Green Flash. Modern Times takes traditional beer styles and adds a nice funky twist to the stuff, while Belching Beaver makes some of the best stouts (my second favorite type of brew) I've ever had, hands down. Ballast Point has always has solid IPA's but they've been KILLING IT with the fruity variations of their IPA's. The Watermelon Dorado DIPA is in my top 5 beers of all time. Knee Deep makes it up there as well with their Simtra TIPA, and they're just so consistent in making amazing TIPA's in general. Honorable mention to Russian River for both Pliny the Elder & Younger, undoubtedly the best IPA's I've ever had.

Posted Image

#1740 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:03 AM

Just tried a Forbidden Root Shady Character.  I'm not sure what to think about it other than I'm glad it was only a 4 pack.  It's not bad, but it's also not really all that good.  I don't hate it, but I also don't like it.  If it came to this or Stag I'd just leave.  It's a Porter, and I can tell it's a Porter, but it also has not real taste to it at all.  It's brewed with black walnut, licorice, roasted chestnut and spices.  I get somewhat of a black licorice taste, but I think that's just because I read that it was brewed with licorice.

Posted Image