CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

[quote name='Moxio']Water![/QUOTE]Yeah, that's what I drink. No beer for me personally. Water is much healthier to drink also. I think all beer taste disgusting, or the type of beer I tried back when I was a kid.

Beer smells disgusting and one reason I don't like being around a bar or some parties. I dunno, I seem to notice some odor beer gives.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, that's what I drink. No beer for me personally. Water is much healthier to drink also. I think all beer taste disgusting, or the type of beer I tried back when I was a kid.

Beer smells disgusting and one reason I don't like being around a bar or some parties. I dunno, I seem to notice some odor beer gives.[/QUOTE]

:wave:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, that's what I drink. No beer for me personally. Water is much healthier to drink also. I think all beer taste disgusting, or the type of beer I tried back when I was a kid.

Beer smells disgusting and one reason I don't like being around a bar or some parties. I dunno, I seem to notice some odor beer gives.[/quote]

waaaa waaaa

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Oh, Lisa, you and your stories: Bart's a vampire, beer kills brain cells. Now let's go back to that...building...thingie... where our beds and TV... is."

I like anything with a Sam Adams label on it, Dog Fish and Magic Hat as well
[/FONT]

No offense, TMK, but why did you post here then? Everyone gets pissed when a 360 fanboy dares say anything wrong about the PS3 but it's OK to come in and bash beer in a beer drinking thread? See ya, dude.

I agree, Anchor Steam is great.

I'm checking beeradvocate reviews all the time as they are usually in the top 5 google results for any beer.

For example just googled "Achor Steam" and the BA page is #3.

Maybe I should ratchet up my beer snob level and start drinking my beer out of the BA recommended glassware... :D

Some regional(hopefully available) craft-brews.

If your in the tri-state area, there are a few that have a great selection. Delaware is home to the Dogfish-head brewery that has a lot of variety and some interesting brews. If you can get your hands on it, try the 120 minute IPA.
http://www.dogfish.com

Located in Downingtown, Pennsylvania (in the old Pepperidge Farm cookie factory) is the Victory Brewery. Some standards and some seasonal brews. I recommend the StormKing Russian Imperial Stout and the Hop Devil Ale.

http://www.victorybeer.com

If you're gonna be in the great state of Michigan, do yourself a favor and head over to Grand Rapids and visit Founders Brewery. A couple favorites of mine include The Breakfast Stout (a double choclate, oatmeal, coffee stout that is thick and dark!), the Centennial IPA, and if you're lucky to find it on tap, The Kentucky Bourbon Stout.

http://www.foundersbrewing.com

Just 3 out of a LONG list!

My standbys, that are relatively inexpensive, are Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Victory HopDevil, and Spaten - Optimator.

[quote name='wubb']Maybe I should ratchet up my beer snob level and start drinking my beer out of the BA recommended glassware... :D[/quote]

I "borrowed" a pair of the fancy gold-rimmed Stella from my old bar in New York. Other than that, it's a cold pint glass for me unless I'm drinking an English beer of course and then I just drink it at room temperature. Those Sam Adams glasses are really nice too.

If you're in Indiana, head down to the Upland Brewery in Bloomington. They have a great IPA and Wheat Ale.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']I love Stella, Newcastle, Bass, and Bodingtons.
I cannot stand, Coors/Bud/Miller.
Corona is alright.[/QUOTE]

Stella is way overpriced here in the US.

[quote name='depascal22']Those Sam Adams glasses are really nice too.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, their perfect pints are great. I've been using them for all the beer I drink at home for close to a year.

Looking forward to heading out of work soon, picking up some tasty brews with my buddy and trying to finish our co-op Gears 2 run on hardcore.

[quote name='Thymmigugg']Some regional(hopefully available) craft-brews.

If your in the tri-state area, there are a few that have a great selection. Delaware is home to the Dogfish-head brewery that has a lot of variety and some interesting brews. If you can get your hands on it, try the 120 minute IPA.
http://www.dogfish.com
[/quote]
My local beer place just got in some DFH 120 but I passed on it as I am not a hophead. I think I may get one just to try it. $10 a bottle is pretty steep but they usually sell out pretty fast.

My standbys, that are relatively inexpensive, are Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Victory HopDevil, and Spaten - Optimator.

Optimator is in my fridge pretty much 24-7. It is my go-to beer when I'm not trying something new.

i think someone deleted my post for some reason.

anyway, anything Sam Adams, Dogfish, Magic Hat are must buys. Worst I will drink if I am buying is Yuengling.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Oh, Lisa, you and your stories: Bart's a vampire, beer kills brain cells. Now let's go back to that...building...thingie... where our beds and TV... is."[/FONT]

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']My local beer place just got in some DFH 120 but I passed on it as I am not a hophead. I think I may get one just to try it. $10 a bottle is pretty steep but they usually sell out pretty fast.[/QUOTE]

120 is too strong for my tastes. The 60 is good for me. But worth a try I'm sure.

A (sort of) local pizza place had DFH 60 on tap. :bouncy: And there's also a DFH ale house in the DC area.

I had a drink of Dogfish 90 the other night. I honestly don't know what to look for in a beer so I have no idea what to make of it. It was definitely stronger than the water I was drinking (coors light).

I thought we had a beer thread already, but I'm always down for a new disscusion. My favorite brands:

Old Speckled Hen - A British ale, but don't drink it warm.
Belhaven - Schottish Ale, I can get this on tap at a local bar.
Fat Tire - From a micro brewery in Colorado. I can't find it in Florida but if you have access to it I highly recomend it.
Mississppi Mud - A black and tan. Ussually found in a 32 oz. old medicine bottle looking glass. Bold taste
Spatan - German import
St. Bernardus - Fairly expensive Belguim beer
Honey Brown - My favorite cheap beer
Kirin Ichiban - This is the best beer to have with food, and it's not too expensive

Theres a bunch more but these are just a few off the top of my head. I don't find too many beers I hate but I can't stand anything Bud or Corona

My favorite beers,
in the US:

-Miller High Life (SO cheap yet SO good)
-Sam Adams (can't remember the exact name)
-Beck's

in Japan:
-Asahi Super Dry
-Kirin Gold
-Sapporo

i have a headache

last night i drank Brrr. It the widmers winter ale. tasty stuff, 7.2%. that would have been fine if i didnt polish it off with some vodka after...

I've discovered that Trader Joe's has good beer fairly cheap ($6 for a 6 pack range). So far I've tried a blueberry beer and the trader joe brand version of corona, both pretty good.

[quote name='Kayden']Isn't that actually the state motto? :lol:[/quote]

Only unofficially.

CAGs, do you know where your nearest liquor store that has build your own 6 packs is? If not, you need to find out.

In Milwaukee, WI can you buy after 9pm yet? Last time I was there I went to jewels I think at 10 and was told no go. But that was years ago, 7 I think.

How the hell is a state that features beer, fried foods, and the Packers as its only redeeming qualities not going to allow the sale of beer after 9 P.M. in its biggest city?

I don't drink much these days, but here are a few beers I enjoy. I can drink anything down to Budweiser and High Life, even King Cobra if I'm feeling really cheap. I don't really go too high on the price/quality scale, nor too low (Natty, Keystone, etc.).

In no particular order:
Blue Moon
Newcastle
Widmer Hefeweizen
Tecate
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (Say what you want; it's good in moderation)
Rolling Rock
Fat Tire

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']

Speaking of that beer store, if anyone lives in the Hampton Roads area in VA and wants to go somewhere with a great beer selection, check out Grape and Gourmet on VA Beach Blvd. It is a wine store, but Kevin, one of the owners, is a beer nut and now has over 500 beers in stock. Seriously, 500.

Heh, I just found their list of microbrews which was last updated in October.

http://www.grapeandgourmet.com/Microbrews.htm

Oh, and Zen, looks like they have Kronenbourg ;)[/quote]

fuck! I went to college in Norfolk! I moved after I graduated 2 years ago! I can't believe I missed the boat on that one.

I love Murphy's Irish Stout. It made me mad because I used to be able to get it in 3-4 bars, but slowly one bar after another kept dropping it from the menu. Even the Irish bar in town doesn't carry it anymore. Now there's only 1 bar that I know of that still has it. And I'm not 100% sure if it's on tap there or not. Hopefully it is, I'll have to find that out soon. I've never had it in a can or bottle, but it's awesome on tap.

I like it much better than Guinness, although I still like Guinness. Murphy's is a little sweeter and much less bitter. Mmm, tasty. :beer: :bouncy:

Has anyone here ever had it? No one else ever seems to know about it. Which is probably the big reason why none of the bars carry anymore. :cry:

EDIT:
Here's the Murphy's website: http://www.murphys.com/
The Beer Advocate review that doesn't do it justice: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/240/703
And the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphys_(beer)

I've been digging a lot on IPA's lately. Goose Island has a very good one, and there's a liquor store down the street that sells it for only 6.18 a six pack, so I've been drinking a lot of that.
For stouts, Guinness is of course a standard. I really like Boulevard's Dry Stout though. Me and my buddies found a place in town that has it on tap and man is it good. I like it even more than Guinness.
Some other beers include Sam Adams , Goose Island (really enjoy their Honker's Ale), Leinenkugel, Schlafly APA. Also had a six pack of Red Hook, Long Hammer. It's another IPA, and while not my favorite for about 6.50 a six pack and 6.5% abv, it's not bad at all.

yes ive had murphy's its good. not something i would or do drink regularly.

for IPA's i like stones IPA im not much on IPA's though.

beer for me REALLY depends on the weather and if and what im eating.

I was at the world market earlier and actually saw they had fat tire and some pumpkin ale. Would have bought some but i'm low on funds at the moment.

My favorite FAVORITE beer is Ottakringer, but as far as I can tell, you can't buy it in the US. It is sooooooo good, and I don't usually like lite beers....
Fat Tire is good here in the states...

[quote name='JolietJake']I was at the world market earlier and actually saw they had fat tire and some pumpkin ale. Would have bought some but i'm low on funds at the moment.[/QUOTE]

What state are you in, out of curiousity? I think you can't get Fat Tire on the east coast but if World Market is carrying it nationwide I'd give it a check.

Anybody try the new Double Bastard yet? Arrogant Bastard is my favorite beer, and i picked up this new delight, 10.2% alc/vol lol. havent drank it though, waiting for right moment...

Had a couple IPA's last night. You can never go wrong with that stuff.

What's the most expensive beer you like? Mine would be Piraat. One bottle is like $5:

2686477.jpg
http://amadeo.blog.com/repository/22379/2686477.jpg

[quote name='Rodimus']Had a couple IPA's last night. You can never go wrong with that stuff.

What's the most expensive beer you like? Mine would be Piraat. One bottle is like $5:

2686477.jpg
[/quote]

Aaaarrrrrrrrr! Where does this ale be brewed, matey?

Hey, just turned 21 2 weeks ago, but I live at school so I have not been able to hit any stores.
Looking to drink something that is good but not too expensive over the thanksgiving holiday. I heard that sam adams is pretty good and so is blue moon. What do the experienced beer drinkers think?

bread's done
Back