Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Fighters from FFI-XII - It's Out!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Final Trailer

Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Release Dates:
JP - December 18th, 2008 (20th anniversary of FFI's Japanese release)
US - "Mid-Year 2009" {Source} (Probably will fall between March and July 12, 2009)

Characters
[size=-2]Title: Cosmos Side / Chaos Side[/size]
I: Warrior of Light / Garland
II: Firion / Emperor of Palamecia
III: Onion Knight (Luneth) / Cloud of Darkness
IV: Cecil Harvey / Golbez
V: Bartz Klauser / Exdeath
VI: Terra Branford / Kefka Palazzo
VII: Cloud Strife / Sephiroth
VIII: Squall Leonhart / Ultimecia
IX: Zidane Tribal / Kuja
X: Tidus / Jecht
---------------------
XI: Lady Shantotto
XII: Judge Gabranth
(The XI and XII characters are unlockables, and are in their own storyline that is separate from the rest of the cast)

FEATURES
Story Mode
Play as the characters from the Cosmos side, each with their individual storylines that will eventually intertwine (The stories for each of the Chaos characters are also told through the Cosmos side). This mode starts out with chessboard-like playing field, where you can find treasure and fight minor enemies, until you fulfill the requirements and get to the space at the other end of the board to fight that board's boss.

Chaos characters are playable outside of the main story mode. but one of the designers suggested to hold off on building up your Chaos characters until you finish the stories for all of the Cosmos characters, as completing the story will unlock a mode that "will make building up the Chaos characters more fun."

Building up and customizing your characters
Like any RPG, your characters have potential for growth. They can gain experience to level up, equip items, obtain Gil to use in the weapons/accessory shop, gain new attacks, etc.

EX Mode/EX Burst
Think of the EX mode like a character's unique "super" mode/form, where they gain some sort of advantage like faster combos, no knockback, and/or HP regeneration. Of course, the EX Burst is your character's ultimate unblockable attack, usually conveyed through a QTE-style cinematic where performing the correct actions will make the attack stronger.

Alternate Costumes
Some alternate costumes have already been revealed. Squall gets his SeeD uniform, Onion Knight looks more like Luneth, Cloud dons his Advent Children outfit, and Sephiroth goes shirtless. More have mostly been palette changes to make them look more like their in-game sprites.

Summons
Summons in this game are more like items that affect the state of the battle. Some that have been shown have effects like switching the Brave points of two fighters, or giving the summoner a dramatic increase in Brave points.

Multi-player
- Ad-Hoc Party (The feature where you connect your PSP to the PS3) is supported for online play.
- You can save your friends' "cards," which allows you to fight ghost data that is modeled after their playing style.

Command Battle
Hate the idea of fast-paced real-time fighting? (Then why the heck are you even here!?) Don't worry, Square-Enix has you covered. By enabling this option, your battles will be fought entirely with classic RPG-style menus.

Misc.
12/5/2008: Created this topic. Some news about the game has been posted recently. These Famitsu scans tell more about Shantotto, Cloud and Sephiroth's alternate costumes, and some EX Mode forms. There's also an interview in the scans with some of the game's developers, containing some passages that 1up has translated.

It's been up for a while, but there's a good battle video for Cloud vs. Sephiroth (Complete with One-Winged Angel playing in the background):
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43211.html

Alternate link for the final trailer: NicoNico
English instructions for registration at NeoGAF Peter Graham's site (Thanks Lord_Kefka!)

Last edited by a moderator:
New video is up, this time of Jecht vs. Tidus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4vdNyQMqB0&fmt=18

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Can't wait to see who the FF12 characters turn out to be. Anyone but Vaan would be great. :)[/QUOTE]
According to a commenter at QJ, the new episode of Game Center CX (Which airs tomorrow) supposedly has a new trailer for Dissidia, "with a new surprise." I'd imagine that the final character will either be revealed in that or in this week's Famitsu.

It's been revealed in the Game Center CX trailer. And the FFXII character is...

EDIT: I'm still trying to find an embeddable site with the Final Trailer shown during Game Center CX (With all of the characters), but it seems that Youtube, DailyMotion, and GameTrailers are all deleting any submissions of the trailer. So far, the only one that has it in good quality is NicoNico, a Japanese video site that requires registration.

Final Trailer @ NicoNico

English instructions for registration at NeoGAF

That NeoGAF document is a little out of date. I did a search and found this one, which is pretty good. It's only missing details on one thing, which appears to be a default avatar option after username.

http://japan.petergraham.org/niconico-douga.php

That was an awesome video. I'm going to try and rip it out later and see if I can slow it down to get detail on that flurry of action. I've been excited for this game for awhile, and I'm all hyped up again. I just ordered the first set of figures. I hope they get through the 1 hero/1 villain from each in that line. Such cool fanservice from Square. I only hope the U.S. crowd gets some love too.

Surprised no Sora from KH, yeah its technically not final fantasy, but he in a weird way exists in their worlds.

Not as much news as it is rumour, but it seems that this site is claiming that Square has revealed the US release date for both Dissidia and that Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days game for the DS:
August 31st, 2009

EDIT: Of course, I was suspicious when I first saw this article, as it gave no source to back its claims up. Not only did Square-Enix themselves squash this rumor, but it seems that the gamercyte article shows GameStop to be the origin of this date. Ugh, these trigger-happy bloggers need to learn a little concept that GameStop uses called "Placeholder Dates." Square-Enix is still sticking to "Mid-2009," which in my book can be anywhere from June-August.

First US trailer was put up on GameTrailers. Kind of a pointless trailer, as it is just a small part of the introduction movie, sans the narration. The gameplay footage and voice acting scenes present in the Japanese trailers is also absent. But it's not entirely worthless, as it re-confirms that this will be released in the US in Summer 2009; I'd imagine that they'd aim for the day that the original FF was released for the NES, with it being an anniversary game and all.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47585.html

They're making a pretty nice GameStop-exclusive Dissidia PSP Entertainment Pack:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...issidia-final-fantasy-psp-entertainment-pack/

Great news for all of you Final Fantasy fans out there! Today, we announced the availability of a new DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY PSP Entertainment Pack . A GameStop exclusive, this limited edition bundle is the ultimate portable entertainment experience for Final Fantasy and PSP fans alike.

3531320523_ff9b4c38e8.jpg

The entertainment pack includes:

* “Mystic Silver” PSP-3000 system
* DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY game
* “FINAL FANTASY VII Advent Children,” on UMD™
* 2GB Memory Stick PRO Duo™

Available for $199.99 (MSRP) starting August 25 at GameStop locations in the U.S, this incredible value is only available for a limited time so get them quick! From Rock Band to Hannah Montana, there are PSP entertainment packs that cater to everyone in the family.

The article does not mention any etching on the back, so it's more probable that it's just a silver PSP-3000.

Ouch! I really like this new bundle & i owned almost every single FF games. I got GOW Red Bundle. I don't think i can't afford another PSP bundle :(

Instead of Advent Children they should've bundled Crisis Core. I'm still very tempted to get the bundle anyway, though missing the reversible boxart for Dissidia may be a dealbreaker...

[quote name='Riyonuk']My friends and I have been playing this game like crazy, it's so much fun :D[/QUOTE]

Import right? Where'd you get it?

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Import right? Where'd you get it?[/QUOTE]

Download (I couldn't wait, besides, I know I'll be purchasing this, it's bad :D)

Gabranth, Jecht, and ExDeath own :O

This showed up in my Goldbox Deals today from Amazon. Not really a fighting game fan, but I love FF games so I'm debating if I should reserve it.

I'm really excited about this game, but I've never played a fighting game on PSP before. I've tried fighting games on DS and didn't like them. I'm willing to give it another shot on PSP though, especially since Dissidia is being released on my birthday. :)

[quote name='gamegirl79']I'm really excited about this game, but I've never played a fighting game on PSP before. I've tried fighting games on DS and didn't like them. I'm willing to give it another shot on PSP though, especially since Dissidia is being released on my birthday. :)[/QUOTE]

They can be rough as the D-Pad doesnt always cooperate and depending on your grip the L and R buttons can be a bit unnatural . However, most games I have played were ports (SF,GG,Tekken) where as this was designed specifically for PSP so I imagine it will fare better.

Any of you happen to know what the music the plays when you are looking at the chaos side of things on the official site is?

Well I found out both the cosmos/chaos music from the site are both taken from the opening music soundtrack for the game. Disappointing since I was hoping the song was more fleshed out.

Over the past few weeks, there have been some videos on IGN and GameSpy showcasing the English dub. They've been uploaded to Youtube so far, so here they are, along with their (unconfirmed) dub voice actors, and some of the roles that their VAs have played in the past.

Warrior of Light (VA: Grant George; Izuru Kira from Bleach) vs.
Garland (VA: Christopher Sabat; Piccolo from DBZ Alex Louis Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQ_gE9g6oE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMroNESeJsI

Firion (VA: Johnny Yong Bosch; Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach) vs.
Emperor Mateus (VA: Still no consensus on this one, some think it is Terrence Stone, who played Cat Yoruichi in Bleach and Tenebrae in ToS: Dawn of the New World, others think it could be someone else, like one of the actors who played Char Aznable: Michael Kopsa or Tom Edwards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1kmZMuK_Jk

Onion Knight vs.
Cloud of Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRVhwNenaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgGOhmISUg

Demo will be on PSN July 23rd for those looking to take it for a spin. Hopefully the demo lets me know if I should keep my pre-order or not.

Is the "mystic silver" similar to the icy silver color? I used to own an icy silver one and didn't like how cheap the silver paint looked on the PSP.

[quote name='Alastor']Is the "mystic silver" similar to the icy silver color? I used to own an icy silver one and didn't like how cheap the silver paint looked on the PSP.[/QUOTE]

I think the mystic silver is supposed to have a smoother finish rather than the matte finish that the icy silver has. All these colors/finishes are starting to get confusing.

[quote name='PuppetYuber']not very impressed with this game at all lol

nice graphic nice music boring gameplay[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried the demo yet, planning to do it tonight. But isn't one of the key features supposed to be how deep it is and how many upgrades you can get? I assume that wouldn't really show through in a demo.

Played a bit of the demo. I like these action things where you can run up walls or zip up a banister. The core crystal mechanic was totally lost on me, I was too busy fighting instead of reading what to do with it once its activated. Other than that, I'm gonna check it out some more but I don't see myself grabbing this one pretty much ever.

I hated the demo at first, because the play mechanics didnt make much sense, so I was just spamming the circle and square buttons. The more I played it though the deeper it got and once you master it, it seems like you could pull off some really epic battles.

I'm kinda questioning the version we'll be getting after reading this article.

"Arakawa also mentioned that playing from start to finish would take around 40 hours in the Japanese version, but this has been shortened to around ten hours for the international release"

I really just want a version that was released in Japan but translated.

[quote name='Antic']I'm kinda questioning the version we'll be getting after reading this article.

"Arakawa also mentioned that playing from start to finish would take around 40 hours in the Japanese version, but this has been shortened to around ten hours for the international release"

I really just want a version that was released in Japan but translated.[/QUOTE]

Huh. Do we know exactly what was changed? That's a bit disappointing to hear. People are speculating that it's the tutorial which was shortened but I don't think that would cut the 30-hour-removed mark just for tutorials.

[quote name='Key']Huh. Do we know exactly what was changed? That's a bit disappointing to hear. People are speculating that it's the tutorial which was shortened but I don't think that would cut the 30-hour-removed mark just for tutorials.[/QUOTE]

Don't quote me on it as I could be wrong, but IIRC the Tutorial was shortened to 30 mins or so from 2 hours that the Japanese one had and also something about a progress/exploration map between fights being removed from the NA release. Possibly some of the story/cutscene filler stuff was cut as well.

Like I said I don't remember where I read it as I haven't been interested in the game since I played the demo, so I can't provide a link either. Maybe you can use what I think I remember and search around to find out, shrug.

the us version actually got new moves and more cut scene, but less gameplay according to people on gamefaqs.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Don't quote me on it as I could be wrong, but IIRC the Tutorial was shortened to 30 mins or so from 2 hours that the Japanese one had[/QUOTE]

A two hour tutorial? That's quite a learning curve.

According to the Dissidia blog on 1up, we are getting the definitive version. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I've played the demo repeatedly and have enjoyed it. I won't buy it day 1 because I just know this game will be a greatest hits game no matter what (and backlog).

[quote name='DQT']According to the Dissidia blog on 1up, we are getting the definitive version. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.[/QUOTE]
Eh, I'm not willing to give them that. They're saying it's definitive because it has the new arcade mode, but not mentioning at all what they may have taken out.

bread's done
Back