The 5 Most Controversial Comic Book Moments EVAR!!

Joey Q's handling of Spider-man. Goblin twins. Spidey eating someone's face after he gets his eyeball eaten. Revealing his identity. One more day. Brand new day. All total crap and he said he'd support them and there were years worth of stories to him revealing his identity only to pull a quick switcharoo. Goddamn, there's no stopping the shortage of terrible stories with his guidance and I blame him since he's EIC and always making these failures for stories (one reason he blames Spidey stories weren't good before he got ahold of them? Mary Jane. Bullshit).

He's fucked up the Marvel universe with tons of dumb ideas (the mecha line and the short lived manga line etc.), but his further need to fuck up Spider-man and now making MORE of a mess out of the continuity then any other 40 comics that have or guest star Spidey...Yeah, take your pick.

I'm at a loss to understand how doing some 9/11 comics is a controversy. A difficult decision perhaps but it would have been a problem to not acknowledge the event in any way.

Such a big event is a problem for the writers. There is no way this could happen in a place like Marvel's New York, which was seemingly the superhuman capital of the world, even after M-Day, without several of those superhumans getting involved. The second plane approaches and none of these demi-gods can do anything about it?

But then, this is also an event that a lot of people take very personally, especially in New york. Any depiction that alters the events or appears to exploit them for profit is going to go badly with a lot of people. It's one of those moments when there is no truly correct action to take but you must do something and hope not to offend.

The Marvel Ultimate Universe Ultimatum storyline appears to be taking on the subject now in a way that integrates into that setting. Countless times comic book villains are stopped short of committing mass murder on the 9/11 scale. Alan Moore broke the mold with Marvelman/Miracleman by having the rogue Kid Miracleman lay waste to London and all its inhabitants. Moore recognized that on one hand, in a world where genocidal villains existed, you could never stop them before they struck, and that the world could never be the same when gods have battles that destroy major cities. Now Ultimatum has devasted New York with a skyscraper tall tsunami and Damage Control isn't going to have everything back in order within a few days.

Hell yeah I'm pissed that the comic book companies decided to let 9/11 happen in the comic book world. I was sad about that ever since I got that issue of Amazing Spider-Man all the way back when I was a kid. Instead Marvel let the terrorists win by printing such stories instead of doing a little PSA.

But that's a pretty small list. And I don't think the Stan Lee drug issues were THAT controversial.

How about this for a controversial moment: DC let the readers decide on Robin's (Jason Todd) fate in the pages of Batman 426-429, and the readers decided to kill him.

This was probably one of the most controversial moments in my memory. It's really sad that DC could not let it rest and let Jim (frigtard) Lee bring Jason Todd back as Hush in that horrific fanboy service of a run on Batman a couple of years ago.

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow story arc "Snowbirds don't Fly" from 1971. It was where Speedy (Green Arrow's then sidekick) was discovered to be a heroin junkie. It was considered the first time DC tried to tackle social issues (not to mention that it is an incredible story arc).

Jason Todd's death is a close second, and the Death of Superman is the third.

It's been a while since I have read comics, but I remember Wolverine beating Lobo in the Marvel vs. DC crossover was controversial.

Also, the ease with which Onslaught ripped the gem of Cyttorak out of Juggie was crazy.

The 9-11 stuff didn't bother me at the time. From what I recall they were more tributes to the rescuers who went in after it happened than anything else. I don't recall them being considered very controversial at the time either unless you count the people screaming that Dr. Doom does not cry, heh.

[quote name='crowbb'] I don't recall them being considered very controversial at the time either unless you count the people screaming that Dr. Doom does not cry, heh.[/quote]
Yeah, I called bullshit on that. Doom has been to hell and back and that just isn't very Doom like...

i would have assumed some of the gay stuff in comics would be in there ( that guy from alpha flight being gay ) not to mention what the joker did to barbara gordon that was some pretty sick shit.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']How about this for a controversial moment: DC let the readers decide on Robin's (Jason Todd) fate in the pages of Batman 426-429, and the readers decided to kill him.

This was probably one of the most controversial moments in my memory. It's really sad that DC could not let it rest and let Jim (frigtard) Lee bring Jason Todd back as Hush in that horrific fanboy service of a run on Batman a couple of years ago.[/quote]

Uh, when Jason Todd returned as an adult (at that particular moment in time, before he 'officially' returned in-canon as the Red Hood) was
revealed to be Clayface, not Hush. And Hush was a moniker created by the Scarecrow for Bruce Wayne's foil, Thomas Elliot
. And if you want to blame someone for him coming back, blame Loeb as he's the writer. Jim only contributed his artistic skills but Loeb was the mastermind behind his return.

EDIT: And the only reason the 911 stuff should be controversial is because it's stupid, trite, and pandering. It would never happen in a DC/Marvel universe (as previously mentioned). If Superman can travel around the world in half a blink of an eye, along w/ his assorted powers of super-hearing and sight, there's no way he couldn't travel to NY from Africa and catch portions of the Twin Towers or people falling down before they fell. And even if he couldn't make it, there's a billion other heroes from either universe who can pick up the slack such as Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Red Tornado, The Avengers, Fantastic Four, any of the X-groups, the Hulk, the JLA, Teen Titans, Young Justice, Checkmate, the Outsiders, etc. Hell, even were all of 911 to happen, you have people who can travel, alter, manipulate, reverse space-time so that it wouldn't have even happened such as the Scarlett Witch, Cable, Waverider, etc. 911 would be the equivalent of a summer company crossover and not as horrific as it is in our own reality.

Surprised Green Lantern finding his hacked up girlfriend in the fridge didn't make the list. Majority of that list didn't catch my " holy shit I can't believe they did that "meter like that one did.

[quote name='bardockkun']Joey Q's handling of Spider-man. Goblin twins. Spidey eating someone's face after he gets his eyeball eaten. Revealing his identity. One more day. Brand new day. All total crap and he said he'd support them and there were years worth of stories to him revealing his identity only to pull a quick switcharoo. Goddamn, there's no stopping the shortage of terrible stories with his guidance and I blame him since he's EIC and always making these failures for stories (one reason he blames Spidey stories weren't good before he got ahold of them? Mary Jane. Bullshit).

He's fucked up the Marvel universe with tons of dumb ideas (the mecha line and the short lived manga line etc.), but his further need to fuck up Spider-man and now making MORE of a mess out of the continuity then any other 40 comics that have or guest star Spidey...Yeah, take your pick.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree. Quesada has a vendetta against Spider-Man, or something.

[quote name='coolsteel']Surprised Green Lantern finding his hacked up girlfriend in the fridge didn't make the list. Majority of that list didn't catch my " holy shit I can't believe they did that "meter like that one did.[/quote]

I know at least Women in Refrigerators would list it if not put it near the top.

[quote name='javeryh']What about when they gave Superman new powers?[/quote]

No controversy. Everyone thought it was stupid and gimmicky.:lol: In terms of uproar, I'd say Supe's death (and return) caused more of a furor. And I haven't kept up w/ the most recent Superman storylines but last I checked, he was a brooding emo bitch. That, to me, is more controversial than any other Superman 'event' since it is anathema to who Superman is/has been portrayed. Leaving the brooding to the guy in the batsuit. :cool:

Quesada has always been a hack. He's got talent as an artist, I have to give him that, but the fact that he crossed over to the dark side of the editorial management part of the business speaks for itself.

This is gonna sound blasphemous and I'm ready to get flamed but I actually like Amazing Spider-Man now. I've warmed up to all the new characters and bringing back Spidey to the status quo was IMO nessecary. I have a feeling that if they left Spidey alone it would have been a trainwreck. Yeah, they kinda fucked around with the timeline and anytime you do that you're gonna create plot-holes, but a year later I think it paid off.

Anyways Dark Avengers is offically my favorite comic. Norman ordering burgers from 5-Guys sealed the deal for me.

bread's done
Back