CAG Foreplay #60: The One About Lisa Kudrow

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
[preview][img-l=1]2[/img-l]CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of March 10th, 2009. This week we talk about big releases such as Resident Evil 5 and MadWorld, but there are plenty of lower profile games that are worthy of your time as well. We also discuss Lisa Kudrow.

Special thanks to GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for only $7.49 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[podcast]56[/podcast]
Download - 70 minutes, 32MB
[/preview]

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Multi-Platform

[IMG-L=5137]5530[/IMG-L]MySims Party Dev. EA Redwood Shores Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: DS, Wii MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
Mini-games with mini-Sims. - ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=5137]5533[/IMG-L]Resident Evil 5 Dev. Capcom Pub. Capcom Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99, $89.99
Do you like Resident Evil 4, co-op gameplay, and Africa? Resident Evil 5 certainly hopes so as it continues the departure from the slow-paced, puzzle oriented beginnings of the series and embarks on a action-packed safari of African zombie killing. Featuring two-player co-op both locally and online, the game is built around teamwork... well that, and really cumbersome controls. I certainly enjoy taking down the undead, but for some reason I was absolutely terrible at Resident Evil 4 and those skills have carried over to Resident Evil 5 which results in this being a game that I really want to enjoy, but simply can't. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Newegg $53.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Toys R Us $59.99 (Free $20 gift card with purchase on 3/13 or 3/14)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Newegg $53.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Toys R Us $59.99 (Free $20 gift card with purchase on 3/13 or 3/14)
:360: Purchase At Amazon $89.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $78.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Newegg $79.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $89.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Deep Discount $78.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Newegg $79.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=5137]5540[/IMG-L]SBK: Superbike World Championship Dev. Milestone Inc. Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: PSP, 360, PS3 MSRP: $19.99, $29.99
This crotch-rocket simulator isn’t going to blow your chaps off, but for a budget price it may rub some people the right way. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

[IMG-L=5137]5541[/IMG-L]Totally Spies!: Totally Party Dev. UbiSoft Pub. Valcon Systems: PS2, Wii MSRP: $9.99, $19.99
I RSVP’d “No”. - ship

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $9.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

[IMG-L=5137]5534[/IMG-L]Trivial Pursuit Dev. Adrenalin Interactive Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, Wii, 360, PS3 MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
I’m excited about this title only because we’ve been having so much fun playing Buzz! on our PS3. We also have Scene It for the 360, but have generally preferred Buzz because of it’s variety of topics and quirky game twists. From what I can tell, there are several different game modes and some free downloadable content available already. The graphics look bland and you generally can’t really tell if you’re going to like these type games before you play them. We’ll buy it, play it, and let you know. But no doubt the game would be improved by some pie throwing. – mrs. ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At GameStop $39.99 (Free code to unlock 300 gaming related questions)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)

Wii

[IMG-L=5137]5528[/IMG-L]M&M's Beach Party Dev. Zoo Games Pub. Zoo Games Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
At last, the perfect pairing of anthropomorphic chocolates and steamy, sandy beach sports has come to pass. - ship

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

[IMG-L=5137]5525[/IMG-L]MadWorld Dev. PlatinumGames Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
What’s black and white and red all over AND makes assholes obsolete? Well, a colostomy bag made of newspaper of course, but this is actually a preview for MadWorld; SEGA’s ultraviolent beat’em up portrayed in stark monochromatic style. With bonus points for the amount of brutality used when disposing of enemies, this game is ludicrously over-the-top and the running commentary (featuring John DiMaggio and Greg Proops) perfectly compliments you whether you are impaling someone with a stop sign or simply boring them a new one with your chainsaw arm. My only concern is the game’s ability to stay fresh throughout, but in quick, blood-drenched bursts, MadWorld is going to be a lot of fun. - ship

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $46.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=5137]5538[/IMG-L]Marble Saga: Kororinpa Dev. Hudson Entertainment Pub. Konami Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
The follow-up to the well-received Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Marble Saga expands on the maddening marble mazes by including multiplayer races, customizable marbles, Balance Board support, and a level creator. There’s also over 150 levels in the main campaign which centers around an ant trying to reach a sunflower. Okay, so maybe not the most intriguing of storylines, but it does add another dimension to the “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” scale of environments. For $30, this seems sizeable. - ship

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=5137]5531[/IMG-L]New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis Dev. Camelot Pub. Nintendo Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
I liked this game on the GameCube where the controls worked well and actually required quite a bit of precision on a lot of the mini-games. Updating this with Wiimote controls just simplifies the game to Wii Sports levels – which is great for Nintendo’s pick-up-and-play audience, but not so hot for those of us who know better. Just stick with the original. - ship

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=5137]5532[/IMG-L]New Play Control! Pikmin Dev. Nintendo Pub. Nintendo Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
I can’t be so harsh at the retooling of Pikmin with Wii controls as they actually make sense for a game built around selecting cute little plant-creatures and telling them where you’d like them to waddle. The only negative to this is that they’ve already announced that the superior Pikmin 2 will also be getting the Wii treatment later this year. So if you’ve been able to wait eight years to play Pikmin, you might be able to wait eight years and a few more months to play the sequel. - ship

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)

DS

[IMG-L=5137]5521[/IMG-L]Animal Planet: Emergency Vets Dev. Activision Pub. Activision Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
I have no idea how this compares to the litter of other veterinarian games on the DS other than this is the first one from Activision. Congrats, Activision, you’ve made it. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5522[/IMG-L]Avalon Code Dev. Marvelous Pub. Xseed Systems: DS MSRP: $34.99
The world is ending (again), so it’s your character’s job to record as much of it as possible into a large encyclopedia. That way, everything can be recreated once the universe settles down. Sounds like a simple storyline, but this title is a must-try for RPG lovers. The developer is behind such games as Harvest Moon and Rune Factory, so I’m extra-excited to give this title a go. Visually, it reminds me of Eternal Sonata (which is a pretty solid compliment for a DS title). The game play, however, is like nothing I’ve played before. It can only be described as innovative and thus entertaining. As you meet characters, monsters, and visit various locations throughout this action-RPG, you log each person/place/thing into a prophecy book. Then, you are able to change their properties. Difficult to defeat monster? Not when you remove its power-ups. Meet someone new? Smack them with the book and imprint their properties into it, allowing the book to level up. I’ll be playing this one upon release. – mrs. ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $34.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=5137]5523[/IMG-L]BOING! Docomodake Dev. AQ Interactive Pub. Ignition Entertainment Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Based on the theory that mushrooms with limbs sell games, Ignition Entertainment brings us the newest DS action/adventure title. The little mushroom man is the mascot for a Japanese cell phone company, and he’s spawning his own line of stuff a-la Spot from 7UP (remember that game?). Sure, it’s an advertisement in disguise. But what is this game really? Awesome! The visuals remind me of Super Mario World for the SNES. The mushroom character splits into four mini-mushrooms, allowing for puzzle action throughout the levels. There are also the standard weight-based puzzles and other entertaining fare. Overall, this game is a must-buy for those looking for a solid platformer on the DS. – mrs. ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

[IMG-L=5137]5537[/IMG-L]Dream Day: Wedding Destinations Dev. THQ Pub. THQ Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Believe it or not, I’m not going to make fun of this game. It’s a hidden-object game where clicking on stuff (entirely logically) leads to perfectly planned weddings for three different brides. I would probably play this… and like it. - ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

[IMG-L=5137]5524[/IMG-L]Jake Power: Handyman Dev. UbiSoft Pub. UbiSoft Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Can’t this guy hold a steady job? First he was a policeman and a firefighter, and now he’s moving in on Schneider’s territory? Please, Jake Power, you are no Schneider. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5527[/IMG-L]My English Coach Para Hispanoparlantes Dev. UbiSoft Pub. UbiSoft Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
The follow-up to My Spanish Coach tests if you’ve learned enough Spanish to teach yourself English. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5529[/IMG-L]My Pet Shop Dev. Taito Pub. Square Enix Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
“Catch over 40 different animals, ranging from golden retrievers and calico cats to pandas and penguins.” I knew a Square Enix published “Pet Shop” game would somehow be absurd. Now everybody quiet down, that golden retriever is anxiously close to springing my “tennis ball under a cardboard box trap”. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5535[/IMG-L]World Championship Games: A Track & Field Event Dev. Code Monkeys Pub. The Game Factory Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
With World Championship Games you can compete alone or online in fourteen events featuring typical rhythmic and meter-based track and field controls. Most likely, you will be competing alone. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5536[/IMG-L]ZUBO Dev. EA Bright Light Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Bright colors? Check. Cute characters? Check. Rhythm-based-action/RPG game play? Check. It is geared toward younger audiences, but seems intriguing enough to entice the DS lover. Check out the online game trailers to get a better idea of what to expect. – mrs. ship

PSP

[IMG-L=5137]5526[/IMG-L]Mana Khemia: Student Alliance Dev. Gust Pub. NIS America Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
In gearing up for this preview, I broke out Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis for the PS2. The overall concept of the storyline is an RPG based around a school campus, which I love. The first hour I played of Al-Revis was a lot of introduction, but the graphics are great and the storyline kept me interested from the start. I loved it. However, I don’t tend to pick up the PSP except on special occasions, and this title is an “updated” port of the PS2 version. I can’t find any previews and the game descriptors could fit with either game. Unless the updates are spectacular, I don’t see much need to add the game to my own collection. But, those of you who enjoy your RPGs on the go should definitely check it out. On a side note, this title got a 68/100 critic scores on metacritic, with IGN and 1-Up rounding out the bottom. The users gave it a 9.6/10. Yes, it’s got some old-school graphics but I found them nostalgic and resfreshing. At least all the characters don’t look like Precious Moments figurines. – mrs. ship

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)

On The DL

[IMG-L=5137]5574[/IMG-L]Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars Dev. SEGA Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii Virtual Console (Master System) MSRP: $5
The Lost Stars is SEGA’s Monchichi wannabe’s second platforming outing. It’s not as good as the first outing, and, honestly, the first game doesn’t really hold up well either. Which, coincidentally, is also true of thirty-year-old Monchichi fur. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5576[/IMG-L]Gradius ReBirth Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $10
A remix of sorts of classic 16-bit Gradius games mashed into a single game. Gradius fans should enjoy it, although $10 for five levels is on the pricey side. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5575[/IMG-L]Crystal Defenders Dev. Tose Co., Ltd. Pub. Square Enix Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
Previously released for the iPod and iPhone, this tower defense game starring characters from the Final Fantasy universe is coming to the PSN and WiiWare services at a later date. Fans of the genre and Chocobos should check it out as I enjoyed the small amount I played on my iPod. Unfortunately, it's still a single player affair though. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5539[/IMG-L]NCAA Basketball 09: March Madness Edition Dev. EA Canada Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: XBLA MSRP: $15
If you are a University of Memphis fan, such as myself, this is almost the perfect package: all the excitement of March Madness without having to play all those Conference USA games. Since I wasn’t thrilled with the gameplay of the full retail release, though, I think $15 is still a tad too much. - ship

[IMG-L=5137]5577[/IMG-L]Peggle Dev. PopCap Games Pub. PopCap Games Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
Wow, so I've played 2 out of the 3 XBLA games this week on my iPod. That certainly says something about the state of iPod/iPhone gaming, but what you really need to know about are rainbows, unicorns, Extreme Fevers, and the music from Die Hard - now with four-player multiplayer! None can resist the combination of those wonderful things when it comes to shooting balls at pegs and watching them bounce around. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Welcome back, Kotters!

Beyond online play, WHY would someone spend $40 on Trivial Pursuit? Isn't that about $10 more than the actual paper and plastic game?

Shouldn't this be episode 61 as you had that one time you put out just a text show? Sorry I haven't listened yet so my bad if you already explained this.

Welcome back! Now my podcast is only 15 episodes behind yours and catching up fast. :)

Woohoo! Now I know for sure that I have something for my 3 hour drive back home this spring break. Hopefully there's also a CAGcast; then I'd have the entire drive covered pretty much. Thanks a lot guys!

I'm about to blow your mind here Shipwreck: In the original Zelda, you can save the game without killing yourself. You have to go to the Item Menu and press the Select button.

Finally everyone favorite married couple are back , no offense Brangelina. Its great that your back. I can't wait to hear your review on the new pokémon platinum game.

How come you guys didnt review Ys Book 1&2 for the DS. Its a cool retro upgrade game.
Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thorbahn3']Shipwreck doesn't like Sonic 3?!!!! Go fuck yourself. ;)
Oh and no ripping on the Sega CD, it was the 90's yo.[/QUOTE]

I almost have to wonder if they were mistakenly talking about Sonic 3D Blast, since Shipwreck was saying something like "This is when they were trying 3D stuff on the Genesis while pushing the Saturn and Sega CD." The only 3D effects I know of in Sonic 3 are the Special stages, and really, I can't see how hating that optional part would warrant use of the "awful" label for the entire game.

And agreed on the Sega CD; it had Snatcher, Sonic CD, Out of this World 1 & 2, Flashback, Popful Mail, Lunar 1 & 2, Shining Force CD, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5S4ohooDYs

Awesome, I can't wait to listen to you guys when I get back from work! Great to have you two back, more comments to follow later ;).

Hooray! LOL, I'm pretty sure Mrs. Ship asked the same question "Does it use your music" the last time you two talked about Peggle. Please do check it out Mrs. Ship, it's my favorite iPod game.

I didn't notice any coughs, so the editing must have gone well Mr. Ship! I've been enjoying going back through the old shows, but it's VERY nice to have you back!

Thanks for the info about Pikmin 2. I'll at least pick up that one after it comes out when it's down to $20. Not sure about the first pikmin.

First and most importantly, great show guys.

Now, I have to be one of the guys that pays attention to the Lisa Kudrow commercials FOR Lisa Kudrow. Yeah, she's hot. She could be telling me why I should get a vasectomy and I'd listen to every word.

Also, I am with the Mrs. on the Peggle deal. I had never played Peggle before tonight. I downloaded it after I got home from work, and holy shit. Plinko on speed is the correct term here. I'm really digging the "Peggle Party" mode, as well. Thank you very much Shipwreck for the recommendation, this game is badical.

It seems you guys didn't go rusty during the huge gap between shows, also I wanna see the video of your game collection at some point ship.

Was I correct in hearing you mention that a veterinarian game came out and you guys glossed right over it? Wouldn't that be right in your wheelhouse, Mrs. Ship? Or is it a case of "I do that all day, I don't need a game about it". (I know that I'm not looking forward to IT Admin: The Game.)

[quote name='misfit13b']Was I correct in hearing you mention that a veterinarian game came out and you guys glossed right over it? Wouldn't that be right in your wheelhouse, Mrs. Ship? Or is it a case of "I do that all day, I don't need a game about it". (I know that I'm not looking forward to IT Admin: The Game.)[/quote]

You must be new to the show! There currently exist 2,456ish games based on pets, pet stores, veterinary medicine, zoology, and various animal speciez. The market is saturated, so we tend to skip those games. I love my job, but yes, I do that all day and I don't need to play a game about it. :D

Edit: I think IT Admin: The Game would be great! ;-)

[quote name='stonefry']Should have titled this one "We didn't have time for Foreplay"[/QUOTE]

"No Time For Foreplay" was actually the title of the show about an hour into my editing. Two hours later, I went with Kudrow.

Ok, Ship, what's up with referring to Blue Dragon Plus as "Real-time, Final Fantasy Tactics type of game"??? Those descriptors should never share the same sentence!

I don't find Lisa Kudrow attractive at all. I hate Friends and find her extremely annoying. I do like the DS commercial with Liv Tyler though, mmmmm.

[quote name='shipwreck']"No Time For Foreplay" was actually the title of the show about an hour into my editing. Two hours later, I went with Kudrow.[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome!

Also, a really good show. I'm glad to hear Shipwreck talk about Dark Wizard: that was probably the game I've spent most hours in my life, I played for hours straight for several months, and would go back to it even after I got my Nintendo 64.

Funny to hear Mr and Mrs Shipwreck talking as always, some great quotes like "You always say that / But this time it's true!" and their very cultural discussion about totally spies and how it relate to slow brain degeneration!

Keep the good work, glad to have you back, and already looking forward to the next show!

[quote name='shipwreck']"No Time For Foreplay" was actually the title of the show about an hour into my editing. Two hours later, I went with Kudrow.[/quote]

Great minds ...

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Ok, Ship, what's up with referring to Blue Dragon Plus as "Real-time, Final Fantasy Tactics type of game"??? Those descriptors should never share the same sentence![/QUOTE]

Well, it's like Final Fantasy Tactics, but in real time. I should have explained myself better. It's funny how many of these things you catch when you actually have to listen to the entire show while editing, as I knew someone would say something about that.

One other one that I caught, that I don't know if others will say anything about is that when I was praising Killzone 2, I meant to actually say it was the first First-Party PS3 game that I've absolutely loved.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's funny how many of these things you catch when you actually have to listen to the entire show while editing, as I knew someone would say something about that.[/quote]

Didn't you also encourage people to enter a non-existant contest? I just assumed it was on the outline from last time . . .

[quote name='Gillespee']Didn't you also encourage people to enter a non-existant contest? I just assumed it was on the outline from last time . . .[/QUOTE]

And the winner is... Gillespee! Get me your contact information and I'll get you something in the mail.

Really? Sweet! I wanted to mention to that just recently I figured out that you have to play arcade mode in Ghost Squad to unlock stuff. I bought that game on your recommendation and have been frustrated playing party mode. Now I get it, and now I really like it!

Finally am getting around to listening to the show.

Is Killzone 2 push to talk or is there an option for live chat? That may be your problem, but I don't have the game to be sure.

Are you going for trophies in Noby Noby Boy? There's your goals if that's your thing. They're very easy to get minus the Prince's trophy. Will you guys be making use of the local multiplayer patch that's in the works.

Sega barely markets the Yakuza games here, so they're almost DOA as far as the general gaming public is concerned. I enjoyed the Yakuza 3 demo, but was also confused by the massive amount of Japanese in it, too.

The Wild Woody episode of Broken Pixels was great.

You guys should've tried out the Avalon Code demo that was on the Nintendo Channel on the Wii for a few weeks. You capture enemies in your book to grab special attributes from them to make your weapons better. It wasn't bad, but not really something I'd pay much for right now as a new DS owner.

I think a majority of the Friends audience is women, so a lot of those would transfer over to this commercial.

Crystal Defenders' control is slow and clunky. There are one or two tower defense games in the community section.

I'd say Peggle is Plinko and pinball mixed together than anything else.

Good show. I hope you guys don't take another two months to get another show out.

[quote name='bsesb2003']Ship -- where are the pics of the games collection -- how about a Cheapy-type video?[/QUOTE]

Great idea! And don't forget the GI Joe Collection :p

Wow, you guys finally get back and then I get slammed at work. Took me about 5 sittings to finally listen to the entire show. :(

Great having you back, I was surprised you talked about some of the games at the level you did--I think you may have spent more time on the Dream Date game than the mushroom game. ;)

It'll be interesting to see how much the Peggle DLC costs. The DS game is $30, which seems like a complete rip-off to me, I'll probably get the XBLA game though. I also have it on my click-wheel iPod.

Mrs. Ship, you should be playing Oregon Trail for your iPhone.

/tk

Yay for you being back!

After finally getting around to listening to this...

To weigh in on this Lisa Kudrow thing, as a gay lady, Phoebe has NEVER tripped my trigger in a way that she would somehow be using her blondeness and chest to sell me a DS. Now, whatever Jennifer Aniston is selling, I'M BUYING. :)

Your whole Dream Day Wedding thing cracked me up! I've never looked hard enough at that game to even realize that it was a seek and find game LOL. It certainly isn't geared toward me, but we have to remember that Nintendo has this inherent need to "reach out" and grab all these people that would normally never be seen playing video games and I think this another attempt at this. I would imagine the ratio of Pink DS owners would correlate pretty closely to the number of people who are going to pick this game up....

Keep up the good work, kids and welcome back!

Ship did you ever play resident evil 3? What did you think of the dodge moves?

And to both of you:
Do you think that with games like Madworld and House of the Dead Overkill, this will increase the amount of mature games that come out for the Wii? In addition do you think games like these will help the Nintendo/Wii move away from the "kiddie/casual gamer image"

For the iPhone game recommendation I need to say to give Oregon Trail a shot.

I had not paid for any game or app from the iPhone store until this was released, and it is well worth the $5.99 asking price. Loved it when I was younger and still do.

WELCOME BACK! just finished the show.

Shippy, i can't believe you never finished RE4! so awesome. btw, i'll be happy to play Halo Wars coop with ya if you need someone. achievements!

also mrs. shippy, who on earth would steal a Dora game box???

bread's done
Back