Where can I find TurboGrafx-16 games?

aniousjoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Recently got a TurboGrafx-16, and I'm trying to look for cheap games. I'm looking on Ebay, Amazon, and other sites, and can't find anything cheap that I don't have (or don't want). Any ideas?

[quote name='lilboo']On the Nintendo Wii Shop Channel!! ::THUMBS UP::
pixel.gif

transparent_pixel.gif
[/quote]

Thanks for the share, Mr Slave.

Last edited by a moderator:
i find the best tg16 game deals at yard sales and flee markets you just have to keep looking. if you find the games at a mom and pop game store offer to buy all their turbo games off them shove 60 bucks in their face most times they bite. they know no one else wants those game so they sell them all so they can use the counter space. ebay the games you dont want.

I have a console only turbo duo I got cheap at the swap meet, but have never been able to find any games anywhere except for the inflated ebay prices. It's a pretty uncommon system, so your best bet is online.

[quote name='darkslime']I have a console only turbo duo I got cheap at the swap meet, but have never been able to find any games anywhere except for the inflated ebay prices. It's a pretty uncommon system, so your best bet is online.[/quote]

QFT... Been searching at more stores that would stuff like this, and no luck.

Looking for Bomberman, Splatterhouse, and Dungeon Explorer, as well as a TurboTap or CD attachment (complete) mainly. I can pay well, but I'm not looking to pay ridiculous prices for any of it.

Otherwise, I'd be interested in games other than the following:
Tricky Kick, Drop Off, Keith's Courage, Victory Run, and Bonk's Revenge

You may wanna try turbo zone direct, tzd.com, ive bought from them over the years. They arent necessarily the cheapest, but they always seemed to have what i needed. Bought some games and accessories there. I know i got Splatterhouse cheap somewhere years ago, think for like $5...

[quote name='farfus']You may wanna try turbo zone direct, tzd.com, ive bought from them over the years. They arent necessarily the cheapest, but they always seemed to have what i needed. Bought some games and accessories there. I know i got Splatterhouse cheap somewhere years ago, think for like $5...[/quote]

I've been there, and their selection as well as prices are pretty bad. Apparently they've changed their management a few years ago, and so the site and services are completely different. Thanks for the help, though.

Yeah true, just figured they may have a few TG16 in there somewhere lol. Back in my Duo/TG16 days id buy japanese also because reading wasnt important for the type game i was playing. Probably the best game ever is Dracula X for the Duo/ PC Engine, japanese game . I think with the japanese tg16 you had to have some card reader or something to play their games... but the Duo it can play japanese games...i know a lotta guys over at the Next Level forums used to be into TG 16 games you may wanna check over there...

[quote name='aniousjoe']Ridiculous as the mark-up is on some games, it may be my only viable option outside of Ebay. And yes, that is an INSANE price for Dracula X, but worth it, I suppose.[/quote]

Best version of it, ever.

I payed $100 in 94 for Drac X, but its easily one of the funnest games ive ever played on any system, and id pay $200 without a thought for it now, knowing how exceptional it is. My copy is going nowhere soon... Highly recommend getting a Duo since there are some real gems for that system...and you can play tg16 too... great site there h3llbrngr3

[quote name='aniousjoe']Ridiculous as the mark-up is on some games, it may be my only viable option outside of Ebay. And yes, that is an INSANE price for Dracula X, but worth it, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Maybe insane if you compare it to a gamestop purchase, but it's value has held and increased since it's release in 1993. I paid $100 for it in 1997 and don't regret it at all. Do I play it ever? Not really. But if I ever decided to dump my collection, I can get back what I paid for it at least. Classic system gaming can be cheap if you're lucky with flea markets, but it can also be a hell of a lot more than buying current gen games.

I would go for that Dungeon Explorer from eStarland. It's a good game, especially if you're going to do multiplayer. Also, track down Legendary Axe 2. It's got really cool music and it's pretty fun.

Man, you're making me think about busting out the Duo tonight!

MjC

Ah, the good ol' TG-16. My first system. (My older brothers had Intellivision, Colecovision, etc., but this was mine.) A great system. Still have mine, and a good number of games, but I'm not willing to part with them yet. I remember getting the CD drive that came in a box that rivals the Rock Band / Guitar Hero boxes of today, and all for what was essentially a portable CD player. The thing cost my parents, like, $400 (and lots of prodding from me)!! I have an import card. The thing sticks out about five inches from the cartridge slot. Many years back I got a TurboDuo off of eBay. Also came with a CD-R of Dracula X (and a few other games). I still have the original cardboard boxes (even the styrofoam inserts) of 98% of my games. And a plastic TG-16 (and I think 'Splatterhouse') labeled bag with all the ads and pictures of Turbo games. Some TG-16 shoelaces. And this really cool 2' x 3' posterboard of the TG-16 logo (both sides). I have a good handful of TG-16 only magazines (TurboForce, TurboZone, I think). I was a real fanboy (and anal retentive), that is until the games started to trickle out, then 'Sonic' came out, and 'Strider'. So I moved onto the true 16-BIT games and got a Genesis and SNES.

Recommended titles: 'Bonk' games, 'Blazing Lasers', 'Legendary Axe' games, 'Devil's Crush' (an amazing title and still playable today), 'Ninja Spirit', 'Ys' games, 'Valis' games, 'Exile' games. And the 'Military Madness' games (although I could never get into them). Plenty of clunkers as well. And stay away from the edutainment and FMV games. (Although there was this dinosaur encyclopedia that came out that I recall enjoying; totally out of date now, scientifically.)

Sorry to see TZD go bad.

Good luck with your search.

Ive played and own most of those games, Pasco. I personally loved Lord of Thunder a great deal, talk about rocking ass sound tracks and game play to match. What an addicting game!

[quote name='MCalvert1']I would go for that Dungeon Explorer from eStarland. It's a good game, especially if you're going to do multiplayer.[/quote]

Getting that in a week from a trade at GameTZ, but have no TurboTap. :bomb:

I'm especially wanting to get LA 1 and 2, the Bonk series, Splatterhouse, Bomberman '93, and Military Madness, but it's either hard to find, or hard to find cheap.

I'm also interested in getting a Turbo-CD attachment, but I have no idea what games to get for that. Starting out with cards before I get into CDs I guess.

Capcom had a store called G&G back in the mid 90's. Their online store had a huge sale and i got Bomberman 93 for cheap, and a few others. Bomberman 93 is a way addictive game, hard to put down. I even have Bomberman 94 which is the japanese hu card for tg16. I will pull out my turbo stuff and get an idea of what all ive got stored up, definitely some good ones, including Cotton for the Duo... i noticed you can get bomberman 93 cheap on ebay...

[quote name='aniousjoe']Getting that in a week from a trade at GameTZ, but have no TurboTap. :bomb:

I'm especially wanting to get LA 1 and 2, the Bonk series, Splatterhouse, Bomberman '93, and Military Madness, but it's either hard to find, or hard to find cheap.

I'm also interested in getting a Turbo-CD attachment, but I have no idea what games to get for that. Starting out with cards before I get into CDs I guess.[/QUOTE]

DE is still a good game for one, that's how I played it originally. And the passwords aren't terrible. On the other hand, while Neutopia is a good Zelda clone, the passwords for it are insane. Don't bother with it unless you get a storage cabinet (CD-Rom, Turbo Booster Plus, or Duo).

Also would like to second the vote for Blazing Lasers if you like shooters at all. Still a great game. And Devil's Crush too, pretty fun. Ninja Spirit is good, but the last level is pretty frustrating.

MjC

[quote name='aniousjoe'] Why talk about an emulator when I'm asking about buying games? I know I can emulate, and I do that on my Xbox, but I'm talking about physical copies.[/quote]

Depends on what you want to do.

1.) If you want to collect games, then buy mint copies. That's what I do... leave then shrink wrapped and then download ISOs to play them... same goes for HuCards.

2.) If you want to play them, then Magic Engine provides a superior experience: Save states, not having to deal with dirty contacts or 20 year old hardware that's prone to failure... plus you can use graphics filters to make the result look better on modern LCDs... the TG16 (without a Turbo Booster) only supported RF output...

[quote name='BigT']Depends on what you want to do.

1.) If you want to collect games, then buy mint copies. That's what I do... leave then shrink wrapped and then download ISOs to play them... same goes for HuCards.

2.) If you want to play them, then Magic Engine provides a superior experience: Save states, not having to deal with dirty contacts or 20 year old hardware that's prone to failure... plus you can use graphics filters to make the result look better on modern LCDs... the TG16 (without a Turbo Booster) only supported RF output...[/quote]

It's not so much that I want to collect; I got the system to actually play the games on it. I know emulators have their advantages, but there's something more substantial about using the actual hardware to me.

Fair enough... it's cool to get old hardware up and running from time to time for the nostalgia factor! But at times it gets frustrating...

One major benefit with Magic Engine is the ability to play the CD, Super CD, and Arcade Card CDs without needing to buy a deteriorating CD Rom or Turbo Duo. The chance of either needing some TLC is high. There are frequent discussions about this on the Turbo Mailing List. Go to http://turbo.mindrec.com/ if you'd like to join!

MjC

[quote name='Drizztd9']So whats a fair price for those games? Like Splatterhouse, Military Madness, Bonks and others...[/quote]

Depends on condition, and what it comes with (manual, sleeve, case, box). vgpc.com might be able to give you a rough guess.

try Gamedude in North Hollywood, CA....they have a website. I bought many old used games for many systems there. Good Luck

[quote name='aniousjoe']Depends on condition, and what it comes with (manual, sleeve, case, box). vgpc.com might be able to give you a rough guess.[/quote]

Wow i never realized Turbo games were going for that much.

[quote name='farfus']Ive played and own most of those games, Pasco. I personally loved Lord of Thunder a great deal, talk about rocking ass sound tracks and game play to match. What an addicting game![/QUOTE]

Yeah, TG-16 had a crapload of shumps. And the soundtracks on so many games were very good. Especially the CD games. Reminds me, I have to pick up the new Ys remake on the DS, hopefully with the soundtrack CD. Another favorite was BravoMan. It was a bad game, but a cool concept. I remember towards the later levels (I don't think I ever beat it), you would fight these broccoli dudes. Another strange game was J.J. & Jeff were your weapon was a spray can or something. The original (Japanese) version the characters would fart. TG-16 is the only system with the original Street Fighter, renamed Fighting Street, that is until Capcom released a compilation. The TG-16 had so many quirky and Japanese-centric titles. More so than the 16-BIT systems. I think it was because so many games had to be converted, since so few were developed in the U.S. World Class Baseball is the only baseball game where I could control all three base runners and the batter simultaneously, with nothing more than two buttons and a directional pad. And they had the Rome Togas. I loved how their carts (HuCards) came in CD jewel cases and game genres were color coded. I wonder if my TV (720p) could display the Turbo, just to play some Devil's Crush?

I still have my TG 16 hooked up. I love playing Moto Roader and Bonk. If your looking for a copy of Keith Courage in Alpha Zone, i remember seeing a complete copy of it here.

http://www.gamestationstore.com/buy.games/de.asp/sku/778793991022

it doesnt show any pics of it but its a complete copy with jewel case and instructions. im sure enough its still there because i visit this store often to look for some retro stuff i may want like old ninty games and such.

Anybody ever get the chance to play Return to Shadowgate? I bought it somewhere for a real fair price years ago. Point and click game that was so crazy, absolute mind blower. It was one of those games you couldnt stop laughing, some of the stuff they had you doing. Gotta say the turbo games were some of the most enjoyable for any system, that is why ive never even thought of selling any of them, just too much fun! :bouncy:

[quote name='integralsmatic']I still have my TG 16 hooked up. I love playing Moto Roader and Bonk. If your looking for a copy of Keith Courage in Alpha Zone, i remember seeing a complete copy of it here.

http://www.gamestationstore.com/buy.games/de.asp/sku/778793991022

it doesnt show any pics of it but its a complete copy with jewel case and instructions. im sure enough its still there because i visit this store often to look for some retro stuff i may want like old ninty games and such.[/quote]

Ah, Keith Courage... Unfortunately, I, and probably every TG-16 owner has this. But at least they had decent prices on controllers and TT. Thanks for the link.

[quote name='farfus']Anybody ever get the chance to play Return to Shadowgate? I bought it somewhere for a real fair price years ago. Point and click game that was so crazy, absolute mind blower. It was one of those games you couldnt stop laughing, some of the stuff they had you doing. Gotta say the turbo games were some of the most enjoyable for any system, that is why ive never even thought of selling any of them, just too much fun! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

That was Beyond Shadowgate. Pretty cool, fairly valuable, and no longer in my collection. LOL

MjC

TurboGrafx 16 is one of the few consoles I never did pick up. That being said I am pretty satisfied with the amount of TurboGrafx games on the Virtual console to make up for that. Here is a quick list of what is available as of now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...(North_America)#TurboGrafx-16.2FTurboGrafx-CD
There are almost 60 games now with various imports that never reached the U.S.

I also thought this article was interesting:
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/416
Last year someone did a study of virtual console game prices vs their actual cartridge prices averaged on ebay. The result for TurboGrafx was a library of all the virtual console games out at that time would cost about $300 and the cost of the actual carts was around $1200!

Anybody know where I might find an article describing which games are the best games to buy for TurboGrafx on virtual console? I already have all 3 Bonk games and Alien Crush and Devil's Crush. I am wondering what to get next. I like almost all genres and I do like shooters but there are so many TG16 virtual console shooters, I am not sure which ones are the best.

[quote name='MCalvert1']That was Beyond Shadowgate. Pretty cool, fairly valuable, and no longer in my collection. LOL

MjC[/quote]

Yeah its been so long since ive looked at it i couldnt recall the name. Its a mint copy, even have a poster that came with it. But that being said, it will be keeping all the other turbo games company i expect :p...

bread's done
Back