UFC 2009: Undisputed - General Discussion and Info - Releases 5/19

talonthrawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
UFCDONE_1236970591.jpg

General Features
  • AUTHENTIC UFC PERSONALITIES -- Explore a deep roster of more than 80 top names in UFC competition across five weight classes and enter the Octagon surrounded by the sport’s popular commentators, announcers, referees, trainers, Octagon girls and more.
  • PHOTOREALISTIC MODELS AND EFFECTS -- Experience the world of UFC as it appears on television with photorealistic fighters who breathe, sweat and move like their real-life counterparts. Players will also view amazing ripple effects across the faces and bodies of their fighters from the impact of devastating punches and kicks.
  • CONSTANT CONTROL -- Gain the upper hand in matchups with a brand new fighting game engine designed specifically for next generation systems. Emphasis on innovative, responsive and easy-to-play controls will give players unparalleled command of their fighters in the Octagon.
  • FIGHTING DISCIPLINES -- Take down opponents and get the submission with a variety of mixed martial arts disciplines, including Judo, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Kickboxing, Boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
  • CREATE-A-FIGHTER -- Jumpstart the career of a future champion by customizing your fighter’s physical appearance, learning new fighting techniques to use in the Octagon and managing the training process through attributes such as strength andcardiovascular health.
  • CAREER MODE -- Develop attributes, perfect moves and fight for entry into the UFC Hall of Fame.
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/876/876973.html
Also a confirmed list of the fighters!

Heavyweights Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Brock Lesnar Frank MirH Brandon Vera (LH) Gabriel Gonzaga Cain Velasquez Cheick Kongo Eddie Sanchez Heath Herring Andrei Arlovski Mirko Crocop Fabricio Werdum Tim Sylvia Mark Coleman Antoni Hardonk Justin McCully Light Heavyweights Chuck Lidell Quinton "Rampage" Jackson Forrest Griffin Tito Ortiz Keith Jardine Wanderlei Silva Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Lyoto Machida Rashad Evans Stephan Bonnar James Irvin Wilson Gouveia (MW) Houston Alexander Kazuhiro Nakamura Thiago Silva Tim Boetsch Ryan Bader (DLC) Middleweights Anderson Silva (LH) Rich Franklin (LH) Dan Henderson (LH) Michael Bisping (LH) Kendall Grove Chris Leben Jason MacDonald Nate Marquardt Drew McFedries Ricardo Almeida Evan Tanner Yushin Okami Demian Maia Martin Kampmann (WW) Amir Sadollah (WW) Thales Leites Welterweights Georges St-Pierre Matt Hughes Matt Sera (LW) Jon Fitch Karo Parisyan Josh Koscheck Diego Sanchez Mike Swick (MW) Marcus Davis Thiago Alves Chris Lytle Ben Saunders Josh Burkman Kyle Bradley Matt Arroyo Anthony Johnson Lightweights BJ Penn (WW) Sean Sherk (WW) Kenny Florian Roger Huerta Joe Stevenson Mac Danzig Nathan Diaz Spencer Fisher Tyson Griffin Gray Maynard Thiago Tavares Joe Lauzon Rich Clementi Mark Bocek Hermes Franca Frank Edgar Efrain Escudero (DLC)

http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blog...puted-full-roster-reveal-video-interview.html

I personally can't wait for this game and I hope some more CAG's get it and we can have ourselves a fight night! Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a day one purchase for me. I've been waiting for this game for at least 6 months. I really hope it has some good online features. I'd love to have the option to have an online career/ranking sort of thing. I just hope the grappling is somewhat realistic. Every MMA game up to this point has been like a free-for-all on the ground...with very little strategy. I'm hoping Yukes and THQ can walk that fine line between being tactical and boring. I just hope that's not too much to ask from a video game.

Really hoping we can organize something with CAGs, and have like our own cards, rankings, and titles. Kinda like a "league" I guess. That would be pretty bad ass. I'm also surprised to see Arlovski as a confirmed fighter. He's been whoring himself all over MMA lately (going from UFC to Affliction, then to Elite XC for the Nelson fight, back to Affliction to get his clock cleaned by Fedor, and now appearing on a UFC game). That's one busy man.

Yeah the box art is nasty. And a fight club would be sweet with cards and such, we could pull it off! And yeah idk what is up w/ Arlovski. He should of known probably no one can beat Fedor atm.

The gameplay seems interesting from what I've heard I just hope there is a lot of strategy and you can't just go out full steam ahead every fight button mash and win.

Glad to see there is some interest from some of the more hardcore CAG'ers and two more months til we can set foot in the octagon!

Last edited by a moderator:
That has to be ugliest box art of the year so far.. but I'm looking forward to it.. I still play UFC on dreamcast. Only thing that pissed me off about the DC/ps2 UFC games was that most matches were done and over with within the first round.

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm looking forward to that game, but that Forrest Griffin box art is UGLY, like a bad Photoshop.[/quote]

Looks like they Photoshopped the blood out of it to make it T rated and its just a terrible job all around. (Not to mention the numerous other problems with the cover.) Hopefully the game doesnt suck.

My main problem with the cover is that "UNDISPUTED" and "2009" look like complete ass. That's just a horrible, jagged font, and I can't believe it's going to be the final version. It just feels like a very, very rough mock up. I'd also be a little surprised if they do only have Forrest on the cover. My guess is this was drawn up when he still had the belt, and it was kind of a "full circle" thing, where the first fighter they actually "built" on TUF became a champion.

I mean, is Forrest officially "the face" of UFC now that Tito's gone, Chuck's losing it, and Randy's old? And putting Brock on the cover would make people think this was a wrestling game. But I'd think if you were trying to market a youth movement, you'd want to promote several guys. But what the hell do I know?

Ive been following the updates for this game since last year and its promising, they updated the site last night, they have 6 different types of fighting techinques, On feet, boxing Muay Tiay and Kickboxing on the ground BJJ judo and wrestling. the wrestling in me wants to be a boxer/wrestler take a guy down and let him up a hundred times. but i think Muay Tai and Brazilian Jui Jitsu is a nasty combo, and YES they have Frank Mir. Day one purchase and ill play anyone online, i m frank mir by default.

Big update posted on Gamespot, including the full roster! Check it out!

Here's the full roster for UFC 2009 Undisputed, with all the fighters organized by weight division. After that, you'll find a Q&A with THQ's senior creative manager John Edwards wherein he discusses the UFC 2009 Undisputed roster, how fighters were picked, and which fighters to look out for in the game.
KEY:
LH: Fighter can switch to Light Heavyweight
MW: Fighter can switch to Middleweight
WW: Fighter can switch to Welterweight
LW: Fighter can switch to Lightweight

Heavyweights
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Brock Lesnar
Frank Mir
Brandon Vera (LH)
Gabriel Gonzaga
Cain Velasquez
Cheick Kongo
Eddie Sanchez
Heath Herring
Andrei Arlovski
Mirko Crocop
Fabricio Werdum
Tim Sylvia
Mark Coleman
Antoni Hardonk
Justin McCully

Light Heavyweights
Chuck Lidell
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Forrest Griffin
Tito Ortiz
Keith Jardine
Wanderlei Silva
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
Lyoto Machida
Rashad Evans
Stephan Bonnar
James Irvin
Wilson Gouveia (MW)
Houston Alexander
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Thiago Silva
Tim Boetsch
Ryan Bader (DLC)

Middleweights

Anderson Silva (LH)
Rich Franklin (LH)
Dan Henderson (LH)
Michael Bisping (LH)
Kendall Grove
Chris Leben
Jason MacDonald
Nate Marquardt
Drew McFedries
Ricardo Almeida
Evan Tanner
Yushin Okami
Demian Maia
Martin Kampmann (WW)
Amir Sadollah (WW)
Thales Leites

Welterweights

Georges St-Pierre
Matt Hughes
Matt Sera (LW)
Jon Fitch
Karo Parisyan
Josh Koscheck
Diego Sanchez
Mike Swick (MW)
Marcus Davis
Thiago Alves
Chris Lytle
Ben Saunders
Josh Burkman
Kyle Bradley
Matt Arroyo
Anthony Johnson

Lightweights
BJ Penn (WW)
Sean Sherk (WW)
Kenny Florian
Roger Huerta
Joe Stevenson
Mac Danzig
Nathan Diaz
Spencer Fisher
Tyson Griffin
Gray Maynard
Thiago Tavares
Joe Lauzon
Rich Clementi
Mark Bocek
Hermes Franca
Frank Edgar
Efrain Escudero (DLC)

UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Q&A with THQ senior creative manager, John Edwards:

GameSpot: Your just-announced roster for UFC 2009 Undisputed features more than 80 fighters, which is obviously a massive list. Can you take us through the process of choosing who made it in to the game and who got left off?

John Edwards: Who and who did not make it onto the final roster for UFC 2009 Undisputed was a collaborative effort between the development team here at THQ and the UFC. One of the best parts about working on this project is the great relationship we have forged with Dana White, Joe Silva, Don Gold and everyone else over at the UFC. Being able to draw upon their knowledge of who was going to be joining or leaving the UFC in the future, or who the new exciting prospects were before anything had been announced to the public, allowed us to create not only a roster of who we personally wanted to see as fans, but also represent who would be the most relevant by the time the game was released.

949120_20090319_screen009.jpg

GS: Obviously, you have some household names on the list--heavyweights like Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir, along with other well-known stars like Quinton Jackson, Chuck Liddell, and Tito Ortiz. Who are some of the up-and-comers or lesser-known fighters that you're excited about on the roster?

JE: We have a great batch of fighters like Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Georges St-Pierre and BJ Penn who are hot today, but we felt it was equally important to feature fighters who we think will be hot tomorrow. We worked closely with the UFC's own resident matchmaker, Joe Silva, to make this happen. Fighters like Cain Velasquez, Wilson Gouveia, Demian Maia, Anthony Johnson and Gray Maynard immediately come to mind as lesser known fighters in the game who we think will make big waves in the UFC of the future.

GS: Your fighters are split into five different weight divisions in the game. How will those different weight classes "feel" to someone who plays the game?

JE: The differences are pretty much what fans would expect. Lightweights are in general faster than Welterweights, and Heavyweights are stronger than Light Heavyweights, and so on. This comes through in the game in some important ways; however, that can change strategies depending on the weight class. Heavyweight bouts are definitely more prone to ending in quick knockouts, for example, so while getting knocked out cold is something a player should be aware of in any division, it is way more of a factor when fighting against Brock Lesnar in the Heavyweight division.

GS: How do your fighter ratings work? What attributes does each fighter have? Can attributes change over time?

JE: Fighter ratings are based on an average of all of a fighter's Attributes (Strength, Speed and Cardio) and Fighter Skills (which reflect things like Standing Striking Offense or Submission Defense). Higher overall ratings generally reflect a fighter who is dominant and extremely versatile, exhibiting no major weaknesses.

While a fighter's ratings definitely play into the outcome of a match, player skill represents a much greater factor overall. The game is after all a game, and not a number crunching simulation. It wouldn't be very much fun if there were matchups that were completely unwinnable based on a fighter's Attributes or Fighter Skills, would it? Having said that, Attributes and Fighter Skills are still a very important aspect to the gameplay and ones that make every match play out a little differently from a strategic standpoint by allowing players to craft game plans around a fighter's strengths or weaknesses.

Official UFC fighters are meant to be representations of their real life counterparts, so their attributes are not modifiable.

GS: Some fighters can switch weight classes—for example, Anderson Silva who can go from Middleweight up to Light Heavyweight. How does that work in the game and how does that change the fighter's abilities/attributes?

JE: Fighters who move up in class may exhibit changes in their core Attributes (Strength, Speed or Cardio). Fighters' attributes are relative to the division they are fighting in, so moving up a weight class will generally be reflected with a slightly reduced Strength rating or lower overall Speed due to carrying a little extra muscle or some excess "baggage."

949120_20090319_screen001.jpg

GS: For a UFC beginner, who would you suggest to start with on the roster? Conversely, which fighter(s) do you think caters to an experienced gamer?

JE: Each fighter is directly reflective of his real life counterpart, so for beginners, it is usually beneficial to choose a fighter with a high overall rating. This usually translates in-game to a fighter being well-rounded or being exceptionally gifted in a few critical statistics, which makes it easier for a beginner to succeed as they can concentrate more on all facets of the game and not be overly concerned with any particular deficit. Anderson Silva, Georges St-Pierre, BJ Penn, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson … these are all very beginner-friendly fighters.

Some fighters have unique techniques available only to them that also can facilitate a beginner being better able to compete. Anderson Silva, for example, can pull opponents directly into a Muay Thai clinch by countering a high punch, which is a very powerful technique.

GS: Thanks, John.

I gotta say, I'm really surprised to see Tito in the game. Last I knew, he was a free agent (was about to sign with EliteXC, and more recently Affliction), and vowed to never work with Dana ever again. It's also a little weird seeing a posthumous Evan Tanner on there. I guess that's a decent way to memorialize him though, just still feels a little morbid.

Gamespot had that interview talon linked in the OP up on their main page the other day. Seems like this game is really starting to get some good press. I have to wonder, though. How the hell is Tito in this game...but not Randy??? He re-signed with UFC on 9/2/08. That should be PLENTY of time to get him in this game. I don't understand the logic there at all.

Unlike the majority of UFC fighters I believe that Randy owns his own likeness. He must not have given permission to the UFC to use it in a video game.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Unlike the majority of UFC fighters I believe that Randy owns his own likeness. He must not have given permission to the UFC to use it in a video game.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I think Tito Ortiz signed his away for one of the previous UFC games and they still have the rights.

Hopefully something close to Randy's likeness will be included in the Create A Fighter.

God I hope this doesn't suck.

i read somewhere on sherdog that randy was officially announced.
i dont have the drive to go search and validate it but my understanding is hes in the game.

i also heard a rumor that randy was in dialogue with EA about making his own mma game with them similar to how they handle madden. though itd be pretty rough without being able to use many of the UFC stars.

I think im going to have to buy this game. i dont want to pay $60 but i think i need it. =)

[quote name='whiptcracker']Yep.

I think Tito Ortiz signed his away for one of the previous UFC games and they still have the rights.

Hopefully something close to Randy's likeness will be included in the Create A Fighter.

God I hope this doesn't suck.[/quote]

Even if UFC still owns Tito's video game rights, Dana won't elect Tito to the Hall of Fame, so I don't understand even acknowledging him in a UFC game. I mean, I'm happy as hell that he's in it though! And I'm happy Arlovski and Crocop are in too. It just seems odd, is all.

This really sucks that Canada gets the greatness of GSP and the U.S. gets Forrest. Oh well, I might just have to create my own cover for this game and choose someone awesome like Rampage.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Even if UFC still owns Tito's video game rights, Dana won't elect Tito to the Hall of Fame, so I don't understand even acknowledging him in a UFC game. I mean, I'm happy as hell that he's in it though! And I'm happy Arlovski and Crocop are in too. It just seems odd, is all.[/quote]

The game and the contracts were being done years before Tito, Arlovski, and Cro Crop left. They have the rights, so they might as well put them in there. Honestly, Tito is in semi-retirement, Cro Crop only fights in Japan now, and Arlovski fights for a small upstart org which probably wont las the next several years. So it's not like this is a WWE/WCW type of situation.

As for putting Tito in it, but not the HOF. Well Tito is still a name with a fan base, and the UFC wants the game to be successful. So there you go.

[quote name='bg88']This really sucks that Canada gets the greatness of GSP and the U.S. gets Forrest. Oh well, I might just have to create my own cover for this game and choose someone awesome like Rampage.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, like Forrest isn't awesome. :roll:

[quote name='LilPaintballer']and YES they have Frank Mir. Day one purchase and ill play anyone online, i m frank mir by default.[/quote]

ahhh cant stand mir... definitely a day one purchase to get lesnar and woop mir....

Awesome to get tito in the game.. it will bring back memories of the awesome dreamcast game.

[quote name='robin2099']The game and the contracts were being done years before Tito, Arlovski, and Cro Crop left. They have the rights, so they might as well put them in there. Honestly, Tito is in semi-retirement, Cro Crop only fights in Japan now, and Arlovski fights for a small upstart org which probably wont las the next several years. So it's not like this is a WWE/WCW type of situation.

As for putting Tito in it, but not the HOF. Well Tito is still a name with a fan base, and the UFC wants the game to be successful. So there you go.[/quote]

Tito is not "semi-retired". He had back surgery in October and has been recovering. He stated at the Kimbo/Petruzelli fight that he'd need about 6 months, and has recently stated he'll be ready to fight in August. Regardless of how long this game has been in development, it wouldn't take any effort to pull Tito from the game...and knowing Dana's personality, to me, it's a surprise that he hasn't. Unless he's just trying to piss Tito off by making money off his name.

Either way though, Affliction has put on 300 times a better show than EliteXC ever did, and I don't see them going out of business that fast. I'm 99% convinced Tito will sign with them. I'd hardly call Affliction a "small, upstart org". They're no UFC...but they've got some really good fighters over there.

I don't know, seems to me Affliction is more concerned with selling clothes than promoting shows.

Plus the thought of a future boxing/MMA card sounds retarded.

Maybe Affliction will call Ken Shamrock up to face Tito again so that Ortiz can win a fight.

Either way though, Affliction has put on 300 times a better show than EliteXC ever did, and I don't see them going out of business that fast. I'm 99% convinced Tito will sign with them. I'd hardly call Affliction a "small, upstart org". They're no UFC...but they've got some really good fighters over there.

Right now it doesn't matter how many good fighters that Affliction has, or that there shows were better then Elite's. Ultimately what matters is, exposure, PPV buy rates, and name talent. Sure hardcore MMA dorks know who Fedor is but no one outside of that group knows who he is. Combine that with the fact that they put PPV's on once every couple of months which typically don't get great buy rates, and the fact that they have no tv show or network to hype their shows(leading to said poor buy rates) and it's goofy to call affliction anything but a small upstart org.

Maybe Affliction will call Ken Shamrock up to face Tito again so that Ortiz can win a fight.

That won't happen for awhile. Ken managed to embarrass himself again after testing positive for three different kinds of steroids after his last fight.

I fear for the future of Affliction. They are spending an assload of money on their shows,losing money on every one (I think). They also are hurt by only putting on a few shows a year, to really step up they need to put on more shows, maybe one every 2 months or so. I hope they make it but I am a little pesimistic.

As for the game I have been cautiously optimistic since they first announced it last year. So far I'm really happy with what I've seen from it, it looks like its on the right track. I know it won't be perfect but I think us MMA fans are just desperate for any MMA game at this point.

wrt Affliction, the only way I see them having a chance is they need to affiliate themselves with a cable/network station and show some free fights or something. Spike and TUF is what ended up making UFC what it is today IMO. You have to have that mainstream exposure to succeed.

Anyways I'm really looking forward to this game and can't wait to get some fights goin!

[quote name='talonthrawn']wrt Affliction, the only way I see them having a chance is they need to affiliate themselves with a cable/network station and show some free fights or something. Spike and TUF is what ended up making UFC what it is today IMO. You have to have that mainstream exposure to succeed.

Anyways I'm really looking forward to this game and can't wait to get some fights goin![/QUOTE]

Even with mainstream exposure you can botch it pretty badly, EliteXC for example.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Even with mainstream exposure you can botch it pretty badly, EliteXC for example.[/quote]

Well they were just stupid more then anything. Basically everyone knew that Kimbo as their main star would be a disaster, and yet they still promoted him like that, and he basically caused the promotion to close. It's good that the Shaw's are out of MMA for good though.

Anyway, after reading that article, I'm really excited for this game. Hopefully it wont disappoint.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah, like Forrest isn't awesome. :roll:[/quote]

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I can understand why they chose Forrest because he has such a huge fan base. I personally don't like Forrest and even though he hasn't been around that long I am already starting to get tired of seeing him.

Forrest has won some big fights you have to admit, I'm not his biggest fan yet I don't hate him. He just has more face recognition than most of the roster minus maybe Brock Lesnar or Chuck Liddell.

And that article was a very good read, thanks for posting it.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Forrest has won some big fights you have to admit, I'm not his biggest fan yet I don't hate him. He just has more face recognition than most of the roster minus maybe Brock Lesnar or Chuck Liddell.

And that article was a very good read, thanks for posting it.[/quote]

Honestly, from a business standpoint, putting Forrest on the cover makes perfect sense. He fought in the biggest fight in UFC history, and instantly became the poster boy for the resurgence of MMA. Other guys are recognizable, but they've got baggage. Chuck and Randy are past their prime. Rampage had serious legal problems last year. Tito is in the game, but there's no way he'd get the cover. Rashad Evans is likable, but even less known than Forrest.

Putting Brock on the cover would have been a DISASTER. 99% of people would have written Undisputed off as a wrestling game, thinking it was "Smackdown!: Here Comes the Pain - Part 2". Hardcore UFC fans may see this as a poor choice, but we know enough to say who a better choice would have been. Most people don't. And that's who THQ is trying to get to buy the game. I probably would have opted for a multi-fighter cover, but if you want people to stop in Wal-Mart and say "Hey! It's that Ultimate Fighter, SpikeTV guy!!!", Forrest is your man.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Rashad is my boy mostly because we went to the same college. I cannot wait for his fight vs. Machida. It is going to be epic.[/QUOTE]

hopefully you dont feel the need to taunt people like him. maybe you missed the class teachign you to grab your dick during title fights.

is gray maynard your boy? hes a spartan, atleast hes a humble guy.

[quote name='paz9x']hopefully you dont feel the need to taunt people like him. maybe you missed the class teachign you to grab your dick during title fights.

is gray maynard your boy? hes a spartan, atleast hes a humble guy.[/quote]

lol?

and ill always root for a spartan always.

[quote name='paz9x']hopefully you dont feel the need to taunt people like him. maybe you missed the class teachign you to grab your dick during title fights.

is gray maynard your boy? hes a spartan, atleast hes a humble guy.[/quote]

The taunting only lasts until he gets his ass kicked. Tito was the same way (probably worse) until Frank Shamrock beat the shit out of him. After that, he started respecting his opponents a little more. Rashad is cocky...that's it. It won't last forever. It's not like he's killing babies outside of the octagon.

Mir is the man imo, ill just pick him all the time and master his style, i like him, wes simms doesnt just fall down like that and then the ref has to pounce on him, the ref knew he was going to kick wes' ass because of the previous fight, wes is a cheater

This is just me being nitpicky, but can someone change the thread title to the actual name of the game? It's "UFC 2009: Undisputed" (colon optional), not "UFC Undisputed 2009".

I really wasn't a fan of the control scheme of the previous UFC games, so I'm hopeful about the changes made in this release. I'm hoping for a demo sometime close to launch to persuade me to bump it up to a purchase closer to day 1.

[quote name='ced']I really wasn't a fan of the control scheme of the previous UFC games, so I'm hopeful about the changes made in this release. I'm hoping for a demo sometime close to launch to persuade me to bump it up to a purchase closer to day 1.[/QUOTE]

Demo is supposed to come out 4-6 weeks prior to launch.

[quote name='Matt Young']This is just me being nitpicky, but can someone change the thread title to the actual name of the game? It's "UFC 2009: Undisputed" (colon optional), not "UFC Undisputed 2009".[/quote]

Lol yea no problem.

Also I can't wait for the demo either, it is likely a day one purchase for me anyways but I wanna play it. Everyone enjoy fight night tonight!

Yeah, a demo is key for me. I wasn't a fan of the sport at the time, but I remember the UFC games (games?) on the Dreamcast sucking.

The UFC game on Dreamcast was actually pretty good, especially at the time. The only other MMA game I have played that's any good at all was the Pride FC game on PS2. That is probably the best MMA game you can play right now, really hard to track down though (at least it was for me).

bread's done
Back