UFC 2009: Undisputed - General Discussion and Info - Releases 5/19

[quote name='AK85']I just had a great KO happen. I was playing as Shogun and had started off the first round by touching gloves with Liddell, so when the second round was starting and we were moving in to touch gloves again, I try to throw a head kick. Liddell takes a step back and fires a head kick of his own, dropping me into a helpless heap. :lol:[/quote]

So you come running out at the opening bell with a flying knee? That's awesome!

Demo is awesome, I plan on getting day one.

Also, if you think striking is just button mashing, turn it up to Expert difficulty.

As for Silva/Lietes, that was awful. I don't care if he was trying to to take needless risks or that he was fighting smart, as a champion and main eventer he should be fighting to win, not just doing as little as possible as long as he doesn't lose. Liddell might've lost, but he didn't hold anything back.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Demo is awesome, I plan on getting day one.

Also, if you think striking is just button mashing, turn it up to Expert difficulty.[/quote]

Hmm...I haven't messed with the difficulty at all. I'll have to try that. Thanks.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hmm...I haven't messed with the difficulty at all. I'll have to try that. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

There is also an option to turn a stamina bar on, which it pretty interesting just to see how much stamina gets drained from different actions. Plus it helps with knowing when to lock in a submission.

Man how I love endlessly KOing Liddell with Thai Clinch knees. Should be titled:

UFC: Clinch Liddell and Forrest to Death 2009

Because that's how it's going down when I buy it. Left High CroKicks for Brock on top of that.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']When does the demo hit Xbox Live?[/quote]

In case you didn't see the previous page, if you preorder now at Gamestop, they will give you a demo code.

Just spent about an hour with the demo. WOW! Very impressed.

Some first impressions:

1.) Flash KO's. Out of about 10 fights, all of them were KO's. I played as Shogun everytime and one fight in particular I'm just smoking Liddell, knocked him down twice and was gettin some good ground n pound in. Then Liddell stands up, headkick, I'm out. There were quite a few KO's out of nowhere which keeps in interesting but might make a skilled player have less of an advantage I guess.

2.) The visuals are pretty awesome. When a strike lands flush man it looks pretty on the replay, of course you still have someone kicking a guy in the neck area and his head snaps back but the zones can't be perfect.

3.) The presentation is awesome. The octagon looks great, the introductions were spot on, it even took 4 or 5 fights between the same damn guys before I noticed a lot of the same commentary (like them talking about Liddell's ability to KO while falling back and all the people Shogun has beat)

4.) The fighting styles/special moves are awesome. Liddell was bringing the overhand right a lot while Shogun knees and elbows were pretty spot on. I was pleased with the individuality except on the ground game. I could not get any sort of decent submission attempt with Shogun. I tried from every different position including having his back and I got nothing, I tried for 4 or 5 straight fights in all the rounds to try to get a submission in but to no avail.

Last but not least, my biggest dissapointment was I never got a fight to go all 3 rounds. all but one fight were done in the first or second. That kind of dissapointed me although I'd imagine LW's and even WW's will probably go to the cards more often.

All that being said, great demo, day one buy for me no doubt.

I’m very impressed with the game so far. This game is on an entirely different level than previous MMA games. While there are some obvious flaws, it’s clear that basic framework of the game is very, very sound.

Good:

• Extremely deep system. This is no arcade, pick up game. If you don’t know MMA you will be lost. If you do know MMA, you will be lost for a while trying to remember all the commands. Once that does happen you’ll be able to abuse anyone who doesn’t know what a “Plum” is.
  • The graphics are gorgeous and the animation is not very far behind. Punches and kicks look and sound like they hurt. The ragdolls after KOs are pretty hilarious.
  • The demo defaults at Easy mode, but once you up it to normal you enter a new world of hurt if you aren’t careful.
  • I don’t get tired of knocking out Chuck Liddell with Muai Thai Clinch knees to the head.
Undecided

• The submission game seems a bit simple and limited, but the demo only has Chuck and Shogun so maybe its better with sub fighters.
  • Yukes AI usually doesn’t get better when you up the difficulty, just cheaper. I’ll have to see if they came up with something better than, “Expert means every punch is countered.”
Bad

• There are a few too many flash knockouts and knockdowns, and I don’t see many fights ever reaching the third round.
  • Turning on the “stamina” bar isn’t really much of an option. It’s not obvious otherwise when you are getting tired.
  • Defense is slow and often ineffective unless you read your opponents mind.
Overall though I suggest everyone check the demo and see for themselves. I wasn't expecting to buy this game but I'm seriously considering it now.

On Submissions - Wear the other guy out by getting mount and then not letting them transition (hold right stick to the left). Liddell will try to stand and wear out quickly, plus throw some punches to the body every now and then, and go for the submission.

For flash KO's, protect your head. With Shogun you should be fighting at close distance or using the Muay Thai clinch. At that distance Liddell can't use head kicks or superman punches. With Liddell stricking distance is key as well as remaining standing.

Most of the fights I've done on Expert have gone into the third round and many of those of reached a decision.

Demo is up on live for those who didn't get the code or burn their own yet.

I can't decide how I feel about the game. The demo was so so imho. I am definitely disappointed in the controls since they don't feel intuitive at all which doesn't lend well to having people over who can just pick up the game and play. The striking was fairly straight forward, but defense sucks. At the same time I still can't get them to actually do anything when they go to the ground except to get off them and let the opponent up.

I realize the more I play and learn the moves the easier it will be but if I have friends over like usual before the PPVs I don't see this as a game we will be playing since they won't be able to do much without knowing the move list.

[quote name='brennok']Demo is up on live for those who didn't get the code or burn their own yet.

I can't decide how I feel about the game. The demo was so so imho. I am definitely disappointed in the controls since they don't feel intuitive at all which doesn't lend well to having people over who can just pick up the game and play. The striking was fairly straight forward, but defense sucks. At the same time I still can't get them to actually do anything when they go to the ground except to get off them and let the opponent up.

I realize the more I play and learn the moves the easier it will be but if I have friends over like usual before the PPVs I don't see this as a game we will be playing since they won't be able to do much without knowing the move list.[/quote]

As mentioned several times, the controls are incredibly deep (as they should be for a sport that combines so many disciplines). If you want simple controls, maybe you and your friends should play Wii Sports.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']As mentioned several times, the controls are incredibly deep (as they should be for a sport that combines so many disciplines). If you want simple controls, maybe you and your friends should play Wii Sports.[/quote]

I have no problem with deep controls but it would be nice if it had a degree of both. I am not expecting to be able to do every move or even half the moves the first time I pick up the game, but I am also not looking for a game where someone who plays it for the first time feels like they can't pull off a single grappling move.

I was hoping it would be a game my friends who don't own or play games any more except when they come over like when they come over to watch the UFC PPVs could pick up and just play while we kill time before the fights are on. Apparently this game isn't it which is sad since we were looking forward to the game.

[quote name='brennok']Demo is up on live for those who didn't get the code or burn their own yet.

I realize the more I play and learn the moves the easier it will be but if I have friends over like usual before the PPVs I don't see this as a game we will be playing since they won't be able to do much without knowing the move list.[/QUOTE]

During a fight, pause.

Action list will show you what actions can be taken from the position to are in, this includes when you are on the ground and how to transfer into different positions.

Combo list lists different combos.

If you don't know the move list, you can always pause and look it up.

I thought the controls were far to complex and unintuitive. There are ways to make a game fun and appealing to the causal and not give up depth (SF series, fight night, and to a lesser extent Smackdown vs Raw).

I was very excited about this game but even after doing the tutorial 1 and half times then fighting it still ended up just a kick punch match with KO not any longer than a minute or so into the 2nd round. Which would be fine if I was awesome at the game, but like I said I was just pretty much using the face buttons, and it seems like the better I got the longer the fights lasted...which seems backwards to me.

Finally downloaded the demo and went through a quick match. Survived to the 3rd round with the latter half of the second round being me as Shogun trying to triangle choke Liddell and eating hammerfists along the way.

Turning the match into a sprawl is a lot harder than I expected and there's definitely a learning curve if you want to unleash jujitsu on the populace. Definitely going to give it some time, since Nogueira is my initial choice as a fighter I want to master. Appropriate since I am going to get jacked up with punches trying to sub people.

[quote name='gareman']I thought the controls were far to complex and unintuitive. There are ways to make a game fun and appealing to the causal and not give up depth (SF series, fight night, and to a lesser extent Smackdown vs Raw). [/quote]

Notice only one of those you mentioned is an actual sport, and it's the most complex of the 3 and any MMA game needs to include a near full boxing game with kicking and grappling mixed it. If it's going to have any realism it needs to be complex. There's no two ways about it. The game even massively simplifies submissions, so it should rightfully be a little more complex.

[quote name='gareman']I thought the controls were far to complex and unintuitive. There are ways to make a game fun and appealing to the causal and not give up depth (SF series, fight night, and to a lesser extent Smackdown vs Raw).

I was very excited about this game but even after doing the tutorial 1 and half times then fighting it still ended up just a kick punch match with KO not any longer than a minute or so into the 2nd round. Which would be fine if I was awesome at the game, but like I said I was just pretty much using the face buttons, and it seems like the better I got the longer the fights lasted...which seems backwards to me.[/quote]

Yeah, no offense, because I mean this in the kindest, most gentle-hearted way, but...fuck the casual gamer, lol. If you're a football fan or a baseball fan, would you want your game dumbed down so Johnny Dumbass and his girlfriend can play once every two months? As MMA fans, this is a game we've been waiting for for years (the last decent MMA game came out in 2003). The last thing we want is some stupid "All Play" EA version. And like it's been said, considering the subject matter, this is a game that needs to be complex.

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't a "fighting game". It's not Street Fighter, or Mortal Kombat, or even WWE wrestling. MMA is a serious sport comprised of dozens of highly technical martial arts styles. Simplifying any of those styles would be a slap in the face. I understand the point you're making, but having complex controls is not a fault of this game. It just sounds like the game is not for you. If you're looking for something similar to Street Fighter, play Street Fighter. But to me, you're talking apples and oranges.

After spending more time with it, I'm a disappointed in the grappling/sub game. I'm buying the game for sure and I'm just hoping the submission beasts will be represented correctly. What I'd really like to see is subs coming from anywhere, not just the ground. I know this is the first game so I don't expect it, but it would be awesome if the full game would let you attempt a guillotine after stuffing the other guys shot. Or run straight into a rear naked attempt after the other guy gets rocked.

Don't get me wrong. I love the game. Buying it day one, I just love me some submissions. Also Chuck's stats seem a bit off but I'll let it go and see it as Chuck in his prime. :lol:

Just tried the demo and I will absolutely be picking this up. I still need to get the hang of the submissions, and takedowns to a lesser extent but the game is awesome. Knocking someone senseless with a flying knee or a head kick is so much fun.

I just played the demo for the first time. As an MMA viewer on and off for a little over 2 years now, I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I know enough to get by.

That being said, this game is awesome. Every fight felt different. I had 2 fights as Liddell and 2 as Shogun. As Liddell, I won the first fight in round 3 by rocking Rua and knocking him out during the black and white screen. The second, I made him tap out in round 2 via kimura. As Shogun, I won both fights via flash left hooks: one in round 1 and the second in round 3.

The tutorial was a beast and I don't even remember everything, but it's nice to see taht this game is so deep yet so well executed.

Damn...I've been playing this for the last couple hours, working on submissions and screwing around with the options. In one fight, I was dominating Chuck on the ground, and had him worn out to the point where every heavy knee I threw from side control resulted in him being rocked. But even while he was dazed, he was reversing my sub attempts. Then, at the beginning of the 3rd round, I went in for a takedown, and this happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTzB7YIWbic

Sorry for the shitty quality. I just used my phone for the sake of being quick about it. If after seeing this, you're still not planning on picking up this game, you have no soul! :hot:

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Damn...I've been playing this for the last couple hours, working on submissions and screwing around with the options. In one fight, I was dominating Chuck on the ground, and had him worn out to the point where every heavy knee I threw from side control resulted in him being rocked. But even while he was dazed, he was reversing my sub attempts. Then, at the beginning of the 3rd round, I went in for a takedown, and this happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTzB7YIWbic

Sorry for the shitty quality. I just used my phone for the sake of being quick about it. If after seeing this, you're still not planning on picking up this game, you have no soul! :hot:[/QUOTE]

Officially KO'd by Chuck Lidells dick. Either that or he has a lead cup.

[quote name='blackjaw']Officially KO'd by Chuck Lidells dick. Either that or he has a lead cup.[/quote]

He threw a knee... You didn't see it?

My best knockout so far was Literally 9 seconds, I came out as Shogun, threw one or two good high kicks and he was done for. Nate heard me last night while I was playing the demo and how hyped I am for this game. Even though I'm no expert at UFC or even knowledgeable (yes i will be using Brock Lesnar. Flame all you want), I'm glad the controls are deep. Cause we all know who will just be a button masher and who will have total control over the guy they are using. Also, I love knocking them out and there mouthpiece just flys out of there mouth. I also hope that you can take your created fighter online, and one more thing.....I hope you can save replays. I also liked how when the fight was over, if you busted the guy open, they would show what did it and a close up of you doing it and the skin tearing apart. Such an amazing game.

Edit: I wanna know how to touch gloves. Can't seem to do it for some reason

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vulcan2422']Edit: I wanna know how to touch gloves. Can't seem to do it for some reason[/quote]

Push the d-pad right or left towards your opponent depending on where he is.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Edit: I wanna know how to touch gloves. Can't seem to do it for some reason[/quote]

What I told you was correct. It's right on the d-pad (assuming you're in the red corner) as you approach your opponent. AK talked about it a few pages back, and he's right, it's tricky to time it right. But it's still cool that you can do it.

talonthrawn and I have been exchanging PM's to come up with some ideas for a CAGFC. I kinda hope it's feasible to use created fighters online because otherwise, we'd have to basically have a draft to determine who gets what fighter. talon's only concern was if you can just max out your created fighter's skills at like 99 for everything, it would take away some of the realism since everybody would be incredible at every aspect of fighting.

The only way around this I could think of is give everybody a point limit, and say you can only assign that many points to your fighter, but you can assign them however you'd like. Then just have everybody post their stats so we know everyone is even. It's probably too early to really make any decisions one way or the other, but it's still good to think about.

If we have to pick fighters I choose Machida. I was messing around last night with clicking LS and moving back trying to see if its possible to be all Machida-ish :lol: I'm also curious if Goldberg/Rogan will keep saying the word elusive like when they call his real fights.

Played a few rounds of the demo and this game does an awesome job of making your punches look painful, especially with a knockout punch. The combat's not clunky at all like I remember from what I've played of the Dreamcast and previous UFC games. I'll definitely be checking this out from Gamefly when it comes out and I may have to start checking out the fights that are on TV to learn more about the fighters.

On another note, I thought games were done with having Click Click Boom on their soundtracks about six or seven years ago?

I think I am going to give the demo a second chance (when I don't have a terrible headache). I love me some complex games like skate and stuntman but for some reason this game didn't grab as fun right off the bat as those other games did.

+ UFC fans should appreciate the sim-approach.
- Long tutorial, quit 20 minutes in and only learned 1/3 of what I was supposed to so my commitment for sims has not improved. I wouldn't fault the game for that, it's a personal preference thing which means I just can't react to timing takedowns which seem more luck than skill when the controller is in my hands.
+ Menu of the Year winner right here.
- Only the fighters have amazing character models, though strangely enough the referee looks a bit fugly. And I don't really see a reason why the crowd couldn't have 10x higher-res than they currently have since it doesn't seem like a demanding game to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gareman']I think I am going to give the demo a second chance (when I don't have a terrible headache). I love me some complex games like skate and stuntman but for some reason this game didn't grab as fun right off the bat as those other games did.[/quote]

I'll tell you the quickest way to have "fun" with this game. Use Chuck Liddell, leave the difficulty on beginner (the default setting). When the fight starts, hold LB, and experiment with A,B,X, and Y. Block occassionally using RB. After a couple minutes, you will begin having fun. This is probably the simplest way to play the game. I'd dare say even a casual gamer could appreciate it.

I got the takedowns pretty good now. I can get out of a ground takedown pretty quick. Once you figure out the moves, this game is above amazing really.

I've played the demo for about an hour and overall I think the game is pretty dang good. The only thing that I think was pretty weak was the ground game. Using the right analog stick was a good idea in theory, but it felt like button mashing trying to get mount and pull off submissions when I'm just randomly rotating the joystick. I do like the clinch game though, as getting take downs is difficult like it should be. Can't wait for the full game though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'll tell you the quickest way to have "fun" with this game. Use Chuck Liddell, leave the difficulty on beginner (the default setting). When the fight starts, hold LB, and experiment with A,B,X, and Y. Block occassionally using RB. After a couple minutes, you will begin having fun. This is probably the simplest way to play the game. I'd dare say even a casual gamer could appreciate it.[/quote]

I'll give that shot. Thanks I really want to love this game and I probably will.

I think my best KO was as Shogun blasting Liddell with a flying knee late in the third. What made it awesome was realizing the referee has collision detection; Mario Yamazaki ran in to call the match but as he did Chuck's head fell into his lap.

After a lot of rounds as both Chuck and Shogun, I've officially got to say I am completely psyched for this game. Once I learned the system, all of the matches I had were quite awesome. I really appreciate the effort they put into the game to make it enjoyable both in stand-up and on the ground. Submissions are hard to pull off in the demo, but I'm pretty sure I can attribute that to both Chuck and Shogun not really being known for their submissions (Seriously, when's the last time Chuck actually tried for a submission??).

This is easily the best UFC game ever put out. I'm hoping that we can bring CAFs online, because CAF showdowns would make online that much sweeter.

[quote name='ced']
This is easily the best UFC game ever put out.[/quote]

Isnt it like only the 2nd UFC game period? The DC one was great, but I think online and hopefully some good DLC will make this one better.

That being said, I agree with the positivity. The demo is perhaps the most fun demo I've ever played on Live. I LOVE crushing Liddell's face with kicks.

Can't wait for the full game.

There were a 2 or 3 more UFC games for the PS2 and XBOX, which were essentially the same game as the DC version but with updated rosters and a few minor bells and whistles.

bread's done
Back