UFC 2009: Undisputed - General Discussion and Info - Releases 5/19

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Isnt it like only the 2nd UFC game period? The DC one was great, but I think online and hopefully some good DLC will make this one better.

That being said, I agree with the positivity. The demo is perhaps the most fun demo I've ever played on Live. I LOVE crushing Liddell's face with kicks.

Can't wait for the full game.[/quote]

There have been several...but it's been awhile.

UFC: Sudden Impact (PS2) - 4/21/04
UFC: Tapout 2 (Xbox) - 3/20/03
UFC: Throwdown (GC/PS2) - 6/3/02
UFC: Tapout (Xbox) - 2/17/02
Ultimate Fighting Championship (DC/PS/GBC) - 8/29/00

Other MMA Games
K-1 World Grand Prix (PS2) - 7/9/03
Pride FC (PS2) - 2/11/03

The most recent of these, Sudden Impact, is apparently pretty rare. Gamestop sells it used for $29.99. Tapout 2 even goes for $17.99.

Not sure how contracts work in the UFC but haven't some of the guys on the roster in the OP left UFC? Like Tim Sylvia, and Andrei Arlovski? Last time I saw Arlovski he got his shit kicked in at the last Affliction event by Fedor...

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Not sure how contracts work in the UFC but haven't some of the guys on the roster in the OP left UFC? Like Tim Sylvia, and Andrei Arlovski? Last time I saw Arlovski he got his shit kicked in at the last Affliction event by Fedor...[/quote]

Licensing rights could be different from the actual fighting contract. Not really sure about that one.

Nice...I finally was able to pull off a couple submissions. Ironically, I had an easier time getting them with Chuck than with Shogun. My thought on this is that they made Chuck too good. Both his takedown and submission defense are from about 2004, haha. The first sub I pulled was freaking sweet though. I was on the bottom with Shogun in my guard, because I wanted to try catching one of his punches. He threw a big left, I grabbed his wrist, threw my leg across, and had an armbar in place. I started going crazy on the face buttons, and finally as I rolled him to his back, it sunk in fully, and he tapped. It's a complete struggle on the mat, especially trying to pull off a submission. But it really makes it that much more satisfying when you do get one.

After winning the next fight with a Kimura, I decided it was finally time to up the difficulty. Since dominating fights was never a problem, I jumped up to expert...and HOLY SHIT!!! You have to fight smart to even have a chance. For the most part, you can forget about throwing any kind of heavy shot with LB (unless it's a very well timed counter). Shogun knew my gameplan completely and just kept taking me down. He passed my guard without any difficulty and was fully mounted within seconds. I had to just cover up, and try for a major reversal. It was a struggle to get them though, as he'd just throw me back down most of the time. I lost about 5-6 fights due to hammerfists while mounted and a couple triangle chokes that I couldn't get out of...most of which happened in the first round. The only thing I didn't like about playing on expert is that when I had mount, I was getting reversed like it was nothing.

Once I started being more strategic with my striking, I got the fights to go into the 2nd and 3rd round, but kept losing. Finally, on like my 10th attempt, I knocked Shogun out with a couple brutal head kicks. This experience gave me 100% confidence in the game, and I can absolutely say that someone who learns the controls well will be able to destroy anybody who just tries to button mash. Facing a skilled opponent forces you to actually set up your strikes and bust your ass to stand the fight up if your opponent is good on the ground. There may be some exaggerations here and there, but for the most part, it plays out like a real MMA fight.

[quote name='Scorch']Best KO time so far: 22 seconds. OWNED.[/QUOTE]

I just got one in 5 seconds last night on experienced difficulty. Shogun walks up, eats a left kick to the head, TKO.

[quote name='Xavin']I'm planning on picking this up, but frustrated that Randy Couture isn't in the game...[/quote]

He is going to be in the game as DLC.

So my record, which I have been keeping track of mentally, went from 43-1 to 51-5 when I upped the difficulty from experienced to advanced. I lost once in 8 seconds to a running Shogun knee, but the other 3 times he made me tap. It's much harder to fight off submissions on higher difficulties.

Well, This is a day one buy for me. Set in Stone considering it's all paid for today at Play N Trade. Hell I sent MooJuiced saying, "My wife knocked me out in 10 seconds :("

She has gotten into as well which is nice. But she is more of the Mash buttons person. But If I take her down and ground pound, I have to deal with her telling me I cheated or I was being unfair lol. I can't wait.

[quote name='robin2099']He is going to be in the game as DLC.[/quote]

No he isn't. He's making his own MMA game with EA. The reason why the game has non-UFC fighters like Tito is because the fight contract and merchandisng rights are two seperate contracts. Part of the reason why Jon Fitch was let go and than rehired two days later late year?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']There have been several...but it's been awhile.

UFC: Sudden Impact (PS2) - 4/21/04
UFC: Tapout 2 (Xbox) - 3/20/03
UFC: Throwdown (GC/PS2) - 6/3/02
UFC: Tapout (Xbox) - 2/17/02
Ultimate Fighting Championship (DC/PS/GBC) - 8/29/00

Other MMA Games
K-1 World Grand Prix (PS2) - 7/9/03
Pride FC (PS2) - 2/11/03

The most recent of these, Sudden Impact, is apparently pretty rare. Gamestop sells it used for $29.99. Tapout 2 even goes for $17.99.[/quote]

fuck I just sent Sudden Impact and Pride to somebody on Goozex and only got 100 points each. fuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, burn.. but rare doesn't always equal valuable. Pride's hard to get ahold of, but doesn't seem to be worth much. Sudden Impact, however, seems to hover around the $20 mark.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']She has gotten into as well which is nice. But she is more of the Mash buttons person. But If I take her down and ground pound, I have to deal with her telling me I cheated or I was being unfair lol. I can't wait.[/quote]

You like ground and pounding your wife there do ya? haha ;)

The demo is better than many games I've spent money on. I am so hooked. Gimme a day 1 purchase!

Seriously, I see this being the rare sort of game that turns normal children into maniacs who yell "SHITHEAD!" at each other. Like, the way things were before XBL came around and made everybody that way.

I am very impressed.

[quote name='camoton']Muy bien, Escojan sus disfrases mientras me cojo esta pendeja, disfruten la fiesta pinches langaros[/quote]

Translation:

"Very good, They choose its disguises while I take this asshole, enjoy the celebration damned little langaro"

No idea what "langaro" means, but that might be a good thing. I don't want to know where that sentence is heading.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']You like ground and pounding your wife there do ya? haha ;)[/quote]

Ha Ha, yes. I actually made her tap last night. It was great. I told her it has complex controls. I actually think she might learn the tutorial, then I will have a handful more to deal with lol.

Edit: On a STUPID side note. I wondered to my self, who would win if both guys just stand there doing nothing. So i literally had them stand there for three rounds and do nothing. Surprisingly enough Lidell Won. So i tried it again and Shogun won, yet they still give a rating. I just thought that was lame. But I know, Stupid observation lol.

[quote name='Scorch']Ooh, burn.. but rare doesn't always equal valuable. Pride's hard to get ahold of, but doesn't seem to be worth much. Sudden Impact, however, seems to hover around the $20 mark.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I sold my Sudden Impact to Gamestop once I saw it had decent resale value. Wasn't a good game. Lawsuit against Take 2/Global Star means they can't print anymore copies and not many were made in the first place.

Seeing it for $29 used was a shock. The game was only $20 new when I bought it.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Edit: On a STUPID side note. I wondered to my self, who would win if both guys just stand there doing nothing. So i literally had them stand there for three rounds and do nothing. Surprisingly enough Lidell Won. So i tried it again and Shogun won, yet they still give a rating. I just thought that was lame. But I know, Stupid observation lol.[/quote]

That's actually interesting. I guess it shows that there can be a bit of a judges bias...which isn't unheard of. At least it wasn't going one way every time.

I'm not a UFC follower and I can't name more than a couple of guys but I do watch it from time to time. I had saw this and thought who cares how long till Fight Night comes out... That being said I have played this demo for awhile today and i'm pumped for this game now! It's awesome and i'm starting to figure out more stuff and oh my i'm glad they were smart enough to put out a demo. Hopefully casual fight/wrestling fans and sports fans in general will try it and get hooked.

Plus I can use Lesnar again haha it'll be like back when I still watched wrestling and he was the champ. :D

Since playing this game, I have DVR'd some UFC matches to sorta get Knowledgeable about UFC. Sad that this demo like, never stops getting played. Really says something about the game. :D

[quote name='$hady'] Plus I can use Lesnar again haha it'll be like back when I still watched wrestling and he was the champ. :D[/quote]

He's UFC champ now too

[quote name='robin2099']He is going to be in the game as DLC.[/quote]
Randy Couture will NOT be in the game as a selectable character. As in past UFC games Randy has not signed away his likeness for use in UFC games. for UFC 2009, UFC brass made fighters sign a contract that signed away all likeness right to Zuffa(owners of the UFC) for life(this contract covers video games, trading cards coming out from TOPPS and a UFC toy line being launched soon). Two fighters didn't sign - Randy Couture and Jon Fitch. Fitch was then fired along wtih Dana White calling out his training camp AKA. When the firing went public, their was a huge backlash and Fitch was rehired(he fights on undercards only now). While the bigger names in the UFC (Chuck, Rampage, Silva, etc) picked and choose what they signed, 99.9% of the lower level guys signed the contract as is.

I really wish Couture would be in the game but I doubt it's going to happen. Since that article is from September, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That article is from September though. Unless he's one of the 5 unlockable classic fighters, I don't understand why he's not on the roster list.[/QUOTE]

Unwilling to sign away likeness rights.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I know I'm gonna get flak for this but, I think I'm gonna try to Create a Jason Miller. :D[/quote]

No flak here, Mayhem is awesome.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Good, I thought I was the only one. :D[/quote]

As long as you are talking about this
mayhemdream.jpg
Mayhem and not on the crappy Bully Beatdown Mayhem :cool:

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I know I'm gonna get flak for this but, I think I'm gonna try to Create a Jason Miller. :D[/quote]

You'll never get the pants or entrance right.

[quote name='John Hyperion']You'll never get the pants or entrance right.[/quote]

This is true. I will be very impressed if you can make Mayhem come out with a lucha libre mask on and kick the head off of a pinata. :whee:

[quote name='AK85']As long as you are talking about this
mayhemdream.jpg
Mayhem and not on the crappy Bully Beatdown Mayhem :cool:[/quote]

That's the One I want to make AK. :D

I watched one youtube video where the dude gets an arm bar, and picks him up and slams him back down. I was like. WOW. So Awesome.

Hate to bring this off topic but would anybody create me a Jason Miller Signature? lol

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I watched one youtube video where the dude gets an arm bar, and picks him up and slams him back down. I was like. WOW. So Awesome.

Hate to bring this off topic but would anybody create me a Jason Miller Signature? lol[/quote]

Go to mayhem's myspace page, there are a ton of signatures their.

[quote name='Stuttering Billy']MMANews with Neven Dravinski; April 30, 2009.

Was there any particular reason Randy Couture was omitted from the game?

Neven: No, it was just decision made by the UFC and Randy Couture.[/quote]

Wow...that's the most uninformative answer I've ever seen, haha. I guess it pretty much confirms what most of us knew already though.

I went back to school today (Game Design at VFS) and finally got to play the demo against some people. Had two crazy back n forth battles that went into the 3rd round with me playing as shogun(I won both of them).

Proud to say I got most of my class hooked on the demo :D. Seems this term we will be switching from SF4 to UFC 2009.

bread's done
Back