XBLA - 'Splosion Man - 800 points - 7/21/11: Free Epilogue DLC Released

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
SplosionLogo-small.png

Millions quake in fear today as Twisted Pixel Games confirms the existence of the ‘Splosion Man. In a world already doomed by the planet-scourge The Maw, this new threat emerges from a top-secret military lab, big science gone wrong. His tale will be found on Xbox LIVE® Arcade shortly before the world is incinerated.

The Man Behind The ‘Splosion
Like a bad Icarus metaphor, scientists create ‘Splosion Man too close to the Sun. Born of plasma and flame in an underground military lab, ‘Splosion Man can ‘splode at will, propelling himself around a side-scrolling world and destroying everything in his way. Scientists unleash all of their technology in an attempt to stop him, but his path is relentless. Any scientist he catches is ‘sploded into chunks of ham and ribeyes, the smell of their destruction terrifying, but also a little succulent.

The Four ‘Splosions of the Apocalypse
Scattered video feeds point to a chilling prospect: ‘Splosion Man may not be alone. Up to four ‘Splosion Men have been seen traveling in concert, ‘sploding off of each other and working cooperatively towards total mayhem. Further reports indicate the controllers of these ‘Splosion Men may be huddled together on couches, some may be connected via the interwebs, or perhaps even on couches and interwebs at the same time.

A Sick Populace Responds
Rather than phoning Mom or their local Congressman, some have seen fit to embrace this scientific monstrosity, going so far as to score his destruction and his fastest times and posting them to “leaderboards.” Others have championed the largest creations of the scientists, dubbing them “bosses” and marveling at their strength and power. Still others have acknowledged the upcoming destruction of our world and sat back to enjoy some last barbequed ribs; this is the only response we can truly condone.

Achievements:
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/Achievements/ViewAchievementDetails.aspx?tid=%09]%3bhe)j2|%09

-----------------
Got a press release about this game yesterday, which sounded like an April Fools joke at the time, but now Twisted Pixel has confirmed that it was real today.

'Splosion Man is a 2.5D platforming that includes 4-player co-op, online and local. There's no pricing or release date for it yet.

April Fool's Press Release said:
Twisted Pixel Games, creators of the award-winning Xbox LIVE® Arcade title The Maw, announced today their plans for a new game – another heart-warming tale of courage and yes, even love. CEO Michael Wilford: “Screw that. Let’s just make a game where stuff blows up.” Creative Director Josh Bear: “Yeah, lots of ‘splosions . . . like a guy made out of ‘splosions, and he’d be like ‘splode ‘splode ‘splode! and then things die.”

Things Die?
“Yeah, but not like regular dying,” explained Art Director David Leung. “He’ll ‘splode people, and they’ll blow up into big steaks and ribeyes and stuff.” Lead Designer Sean Riley added, “Put it in a lab, with lots of glass to break. Then slow motion, and scientists diving away, being all like, Oh no, I can’t believe we made the ‘Splosion Man!

Adds Sean, “But then they’d get ‘sploded too.”

A Game Rich in Tapestry of Story and Depth
No no no no. No. Just ‘splosions. We blow the whole budget on things getting ‘sploded.

Nothing Else?
What the hell else do you need?

Trailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48882.html

Concept Art
[img-c=4835]6083[/img-c][img-c=4835]6082[/img-c][img-c=4835]6081[/img-c][img-c=4835]6084[/img-c][img-c=4835]6085[/img-c]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='4est']Im in. The Maw has cemented these guys as must buy[/QUOTE]

Seconded. They have become the new Behemoth for me, I will blindly buy anything they put out just because of how well done The Maw was, so I know what exactly to expect from them, production-value wise.

I really liked the Maw and I like the concept of this one, but it's hard for me to tell if it's actually going to be fun, but that's what a demo is for. I honestly find it hard to buy anything on PSN (I hope shatter has a demo), because I never know if I'll like something til I play it.

IGN gives it a 9/10. This looks like its gonna be a great platformer can't wait to try it out. Also the xbox.com page lists the following bonuses with the game.

Bonuses: Get free unlockable premium dashboard theme, gamerpics, and Avatar accessories.

I guess this is gonna be the first game to have unlockable stuff for your avatars.

Edit: looks like I got beat by a few seconds

I'm glad that they're offering a free premium theme for beating the game again, as that's how XBLA developers should be handing them out rather than just selling them on the marketplace.

[quote name='homeland']day 1 for me. The silly platform action reminds me of one of my favorite xbla games, Cloning Clyde.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. Combined with the fact that I also liked their previous game, The Maw, and that it is releasing at a good price point means I will also be picking this up right away.

i thought ninja turtles was suppose to kick off the summer of arcade? BLAH, i was looking forward to downloading turtles today..what the deuce?!?!?!

well i just bought it and im on level 2-1 now and the game gets freakin tough. the time trials are hard as hell to, you need to be damn near perfect to complete the par time. lots of fun though.

From the videos it looked interesting but kinda boring. The game is very fun to play. Seems like a game that kids would like a lot too.

very fun game.
played a few levels by myself then ran through the first batch in coop.
its very well done and is worth the 800 imo. controls are good level design is fun.
overall a solid xbla title.

I wonder if there are hidden shortcuts in this game. It seems like it from the leaderboards. Someone also has a 8 second time for level 1-2, super shortcut or bug?

If anyone picks this up and is looking for ppl to play against, Co-optimus.com is having a co-op night for this tomorrow night (follow the link for more info).

They are also having a contest for several unlock codes for the game if anyone is interested.

we need to really get an organized CAG multiplayer game going, multiplayer is alot of fun but i cant get past level 1-3 because the random people ive been playing with just go crazy splodin everywhere and not using team work which is mandatory in order to complete the levels.

If people are down for co-op add me as friend (for this or other xbla games). I have a lot of xbla games and will probablly keep buying more.

This game is great. I tried out the local multiplayer and it is a lot of fun - I cannot imagine trying to co-ordinate the blasts online unless both people are using mics.

Has anyone tried the online multiplayer? Love the game, but the online multiplayer is unplayable. After a while the game actually goes out of sync- there is like a 10 second delay from my explosion to my partner seeing me explode. Also, on levels where there are platforms moved by switches, they show up as two different locations on our screens. So, for a game that requires precision, this is totally broken. I hope it gets fixed.

the one time i played on-line the lag wasn't bad at all only one person on the team was lagging noticeably everyone else was fine too.

I just beat the first boss, and this game is pretty amazing--especially for 800 points. If anyone wants to play some online co-op, just let me know.

I love this game :D Well worth the cheap 800 pts. I beat it and went back through for a few cakes I missed. The game gets tough but never impossible.

bread's done
Back