STEAM Tomb raider Anniversary 75% off

Hmm...I already own a copy for the 360 and PS2, and if I didn't, I'd presumably buy a real copy of this, not a DRMed up one...but for $5...

[quote name='Animefalcon']This weekend[/quote]
iy.gif

Thanks for letting us know, Might jump on this because 75% off is just next to being free, lol.

This was free to play on Gametap for like, a year.

Or maybe that was Legend. I don't know. They all blend together at this point.

[quote name='sunghost']I wonder if I should get the PC version from steam for $5, or get the 360 version for $15 from the GameStop sale..[/QUOTE]

Depends on whether you want to actually own it or not (though the PC version can be had for a similar price to the 360 one also), and to an extent what your PC setup is versus your 360 setup. Like if you've got a notebook (that's decent) you could play it on your HDTV, or portably, etc.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Depends on whether you want to actually own it or not (though the PC version can be had for a similar price to the 360 one also), and to an extent what your PC setup is versus your 360 setup. Like if you've got a notebook (that's decent) you could play it on your HDTV, or portably, etc.[/quote]

My PC is pretty up to date, so I could play it at max settings. I play my 360 on my PC monitor so I guess it might be better on PC for me. I tried Legend for PC and it crashed pretty often in certain spots, but had no problems with the 360 version. Is the PC version of Anniversary stable, without many bugs?

DAMN IT!!!!
You know Steam should just start selling HDs with games already on it cause mine is already filling up. Come on $5 dollars??? How can you say no to that?

I love Tomb Raider and this is my favorite game of the bunch. Tight gameplay, awesome environments to explore, and many moments of nostalgia for those of us who played the original Tomb Raider on the PS1 way back when. I highly recommend this for Tomb Raider fans (and adventure fans in general). Just make sure you play with a Playstation to USB adapter ($4 shipped on ebay) or a 360 controller. Some of the moves can be hard to pull off on a mouse and keyboard ;)

review:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/20393.html

Last edited by a moderator:
So I saw the deal and thought "Thank god, finally a weekend where I won't be tempted" since I've never been a Tomb Raider fan and recent memory told me that there have been 1-2 good games in the series since they went sequel crazy. But curiosity got the better of me and my research determined that this was one of the 2 good games. So now I'm stuck, I can hardly refuse the $5 price tag, and if I were to play a game in the series, it would be this one. You did it again Steam...

*sigh*

[quote name='Jodou']Lame deal is lame.[/QUOTE]

Its not lame because you don't like it. Its 5$ for a good game, just not the game you want.

Tomb Raider Anniversary is a must have for fans of the original, highly recommended.

[quote name='bb4lake']So I saw the deal and thought "Thank god, finally a weekend where I won't be tempted" since I've never been a Tomb Raider fan and recent memory told me that there have been 1-2 good games in the series since they went sequel crazy. But curiosity got the better of me and my research determined that this was one of the 2 good games. So now I'm stuck, I can hardly refuse the $5 price tag, and if I were to play a game in the series, it would be this one. You did it again Steam...

*sigh*[/QUOTE]

There have been three awesome games-the last three. There were years between the old Core games and the new Crystal Dynamics relaunch.

Every time there's a Tomb Raider related thread you get some people bashing them, and they apparently don't know that these aren't related to those old Core games that got thrown out every 5 seconds. These have all been easily among the best games of the year they've launched in, and then win plenty of awards.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Uh...no, it's not. The PC version has better controls (since they're the same as the 360 version), and of course looks and runs better.

Huh? The only lame thing about this is its Steam. But $5 for one of the best games of 2007 isn't exactly my definition of "lame".[/QUOTE]

better controls with what, a KB and mouse? Not everyone has a 360 controller, and for something I already bought. I'm not going to pick up this copy, then pick up the ps2 copy then get the DS copy because I have them available.

Wii does have additional play controls, and I don't have to suffer through a M/KB for a platformer... And I'm not going to console-ize my pc either.

PC is great for RPGs, RTS, Shooters, and MMOs, the way it's suppose to be.

If you don't own a 360 or don't want a controller for your PC, that's your business, but regardless it does have better controls than the Wii version.

pls stop comparing this to the wii version... its not even close presentation wise and not having to use the astrocious wii controls are a major plus

Very tempting. I picked up Underworld for $15 last weekend at Target, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it so far.

How does it compare to the latest one in the series, Underworld? Did the same developers that did Underworld do Anniversary as well?

The three recent games are by Crystal Dynamics, and are all good. The old ones were by Core, and IMO had issues. The CD relaunch is really good.

Anniversary is different in that its a remake, and its supposed to be skewed more towards environmental puzzles than Legend/Underworld, but its still supposed to be really good (I've been saving it as I expect to love it).

i remember playing the demo of the original tomb raider a long time ago...i remember it being a little frustrating in that there were a lot of "leap of faith" moments, hoping there would be a ledge there to grab.

however, $5 for a remake of a regarded classic sounds pretty good to me. and i never had any issues playing with a KB/Mouse controls. that's just me tho.

STOP TAKING MY MONEY STEAM.

This is tempting. I almost picked it up for 25 on PS2 during the Circuit City fiasco but.......wow....might have to jump on this.

Downloading the demo to see how it runs. But so far I'm enticed.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If you don't own a 360 or don't want a controller for your PC, that's your business, but regardless it does have better controls than the Wii version.[/quote]

Exactly. I don't understand people who think PCs are only good for certain genres of games. You can buy a controller, and it's the same damn thing as your console, except it looks better if your computer is up to the task.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Exactly. I don't understand people who think PCs are only good for certain genres of games. You can buy a controller, and it's the same damn thing as your console, except it looks better if your computer is up to the task.[/QUOTE]

100% agree. My wife and I recently replaced our old Celeron 1GHz machine- not because it was broken, just too old (2003) and too expensive to upgrade. Bought a dual-core machine off Tigerdirect- one of their $399 specials and I have since re-discovered PC gaming. I can jack all the settings to max on everything released before this year (Crysis, BF2, etc.) and really think it a shame that the PC has to take a back seat to the consoles in today's gaming world.

Steam, Gog, etc. all feed my newfound vice and I will look for a title's availability on PC even it's released on the consoles- it is generally cheaper to get the PC version and as you mentioned, under the right conditions, outpaces the console experience.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Exactly. I don't understand people who think PCs are only good for certain genres of games. You can buy a controller, and it's the same damn thing as your console, except it looks better if your computer is up to the task.[/QUOTE]

To correct yourself, PCs are GREAT for those kind of genres, sure they can do more, but then one would have to buy a controller? just for one game?

$5 turns into... what's the going price, 35 + 15?

PC games aren't known to be heavily platformers to begin with.

My main point is that

1) I already have a version of this game
2)I don't have a controller... using a KB/M sucks for something like this.

I could see spending $5 would be easy (I've done it before on many titles)but only if the above two points above didn't exist.

Everyone else should pick it up though...

[quote name='eddie291']
How does it compare to the latest one in the series, Underworld? Did the same developers that did Underworld do Anniversary as well?[/quote]

Yes I believe so...It has the same general gameplay style and "feel" to it...but the environments in Anniversary are a bit more epic...especially in later stages...old school egyptian tombs, the roman colosseum, etc.

Wow. Who said pick up a controller for one game? Certainly wasn't me. The point is, you can buy a controller and play a lot of other games on a PC. You aren't confined to a keyboard and mouse, but that seems to be a popular notion on the internet. Thinking a PC is only good for certain types of games that control well with a K&B set-up is just limiting what you can do with your machine.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Yes I believe so...It has the same general gameplay style and "feel" to it...but the environments in Anniversary are a bit more epic...especially in later stages...old school egyptian tombs, the roman colosseum, etc.[/quote]
Thanks. I'll probably pick it up if it's like Underworld.

As for the controller, you can always buy a wired 360 controller. You can use it as a PC controller and a spare 360 controller.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow. Who said pick up a controller for one game? Certainly wasn't me. The point is, you can buy a controller and play a lot of other games on a PC. You aren't confined to a keyboard and mouse, but that seems to be a popular notion on the internet. Thinking a PC is only good for certain types of games that control well with a K&B set-up is just limiting what you can do with your machine.[/QUOTE]

Right, and I mean xycury has a specific situation-already owns a version of the game, and doesn't own a controller for PC or Xbox, or apparently want to play other PC games that use them. That's pretty specific, and fine, I can understand if you don't like the game enough to spend money on a better version, that's one thing-but that hardly justifies acting like this is a terrible deal. I mean there's a huge number of us who already own an Xbox or controller for their PC, and even if they didn't, $30 isn't too bad to get set up to start playing games that need it.

[quote name='Animefalcon']TR legends worked fine with a keyboard and mouse as did underworld[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'd sort of like to try it that way just to see, but I imagine I'd switch. Wouldn't surprise me if mouse and keyboard controls are better than Wii controls even if I end up deciding they're not the best for this type of game.

You don't need to spend $40 on a controller. 99% of the people on earth have a PS1 or PS2 controller lying around. You can buy an adapter on Ebay for $3.99 shipped that will allow you to play PC games with either one of those.

[quote name='Animefalcon']TR legends worked fine with a keyboard and mouse as did underworld[/QUOTE]
I won't say I prefer KB/M for platforming-ish games, but its not like its terrible. Very playable, though it can make some parts easy since you have absolute directions with your keys. Just line up your camera and you're guaranteed to make your jumps without having to worry about being slightly off with the analogue stick.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow. Who said pick up a controller for one game? Certainly wasn't me. The point is, you can buy a controller and play a lot of other games on a PC. You aren't confined to a keyboard and mouse, but that seems to be a popular notion on the internet. Thinking a PC is only good for certain types of games that control well with a K&B set-up is just limiting what you can do with your machine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah indeed who did?

Everyone is thinking that my statements are universal and everyone is an idiot for not doing exactly what I do.

:bouncy:

I'm just saying that I will be passing on this deal because of my unique situation.

Like I stated before, This is a great price and everyone should pick up a copy.

Continue on the discussion of how much of a great deal this is.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Huh? The only lame thing about this is its Steam. But $5 for one of the best games of 2007 isn't exactly my definition of "lame".[/quote]
It's a lame deal because the game was MSRP of $20 at release and I got it on sale that week for $10. Great game, but lame deal for something that was almost as cheap back then.

bread's done
Back