Just Cause 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

This looks like alot of fun. Grappling someone to a giant propane tank, and then shooting the tank, so it takes off like a rocket with grappled enemy in tow = WIN.

[quote name='slickkill77']I made a thread for this 3 months ago....and obviously was ignored. Search button doesn't work for this game either. The cag search ignores Just and Cause as words. Thats good
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241738[/QUOTE]Don't feel too badly about your thread not getting attention. Linkin's OP in this thread is from last May, and then no more posts until yesterday. I must have missed both threads originally, because I definitely would have posted to them. I've been seriously hyped for this game since the first videos for it were released, and each new one I see makes me want it more. :drool:

I own the first one but it's firmly entrenched in my backlog. That won't happen with this one.

Can't wait! JC 1 was a strange beast, it wasn't very good on many fronts(story, missions, shooting, difficulty) but it was a real blast to just screw around in the game. It looks like they're making things even more fun with that grappling hook in this one.

I like my games realistic, not this off the wall stunts where you can grapple onto helicopters and such! Its obscene and insane and... really really fun. *quietly trots off to Amazon to preorder*

If the game didn't have the grappling hook, it'd be just as bland as the first.

Hooking myself onto a propane tank, shooting it, and flying off into the sky like I had a jetpack was badass.

This demo is totally what I expected, just some batshit crazy stuff!
It felt like my first time playing the crackdown demo, I will probably put a couple of playthroughs of the demo in before buying the game.

I enjoyed the demo but the whole preorder situation kinda stinks. The UK gets a Limited Edition with all five bonus items and a paper map, while the US gets one item at best. And it looks like the better of the items are all at retailers that charge MSRP + tax + S&H, bringing the game to around $70.

I played the demo last night. I didn't accomplish a single thing but it was really fun. I found a helicopter and took it as high in the sky as I could and then I jumped out - it took like a full minute to fall to the ground. The next time I had an enemy helicopter follow me so I jumped out of mine and then grappled onto the enemy one in mid air, shot the dude in the passenger seat and then pulled the driver out and kept going. I didn't really "get" the controls and I think the jump button could have had the character jumping a little higher (weird to have to grapple over 6ft. walls) but it was really fun. The enemies seemed a bit strong though - once they ganged up on me I was as good as dead unless I ran away as fast as possible. Not sure if this is a $60 buy though but maybe at $40.

Demo was a ton of fun, didn't really understand what I needed to destroy, but I had a blast trying to figure it out.

$15 GC with pre-order at Amazon, I think I'm going to bite for day one.

I Have horribly fun evil times hooking someone screaming to the back of my motorcycle or car and dragging their body behind me.

I played the demo for a while..

1) I would have liked the grapple mapped to the left trigger instead of the left bumper. I can't effectively use the LB to grapple.

2) I'm not a fan of the drop in to a town and blow it up to pieces and then repeat for 50 towns. The spawning enemies aren't a help either. I hope for more mission variety.

3) Weapons feel like pea shooters. I shot on guy about 15 times and he just kept getting up.

4) It's much easier to shoot your way out of a situation then to "be creative" with your kills.

5) I did like jumping into a plane or helicopter to get around the island. Vehicles not so much.

6) Even thogh bionic commando wasn't a great game I think the game nailed the grapple system better than just cause.

7) Just how do you know what is left in a particular town to destroy? If my percentage is 78% and everything in the town is blown to pieces how to I figure out where to get the other 22%?

I'm not sure this is a day one buy.. but for $39.99 or lower i think it will be fine.

Kevin

I've played through this damn thing 4 times already. The helicopters and grappling hooks are just too addicting. I really hate to spend full price on any game these days though...

I played the demo on PC. It was strangely fun with the grappling hook!! NO idea what i was supposed to be doing besides destroying things though and I ran out of ammo a lot

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I've played through this damn thing 4 times already. The helicopters and grappling hooks are just too addicting. I really hate to spend full price on any game these days though...[/QUOTE]

I only played the demo once so far but I think I'm going to have to buy it day 1 also :bomb:... too much fun and I love sandbox games.

Amazon is giving $15 video game credit with purchase so that helps make the purchase a bit easier.

[quote name='MolineuxWolf']I can't help but think it'll be a bit repetitive[/QUOTE]
This is my one concern. But I think the grappling hook + parachute combo is too dynamic for that to happen. I've played the demo six or seven times now and every time I've sort of "focused" on a different element. It's quite reminiscent of when I was addicted to GTA 3 and was doing something different every time I booted up the game.

In all my playthroughs of the demo, I've only actually attempted to complete missions once. This last time all I was doing was jumping into the fastest car I could find and racing cross country, hitting random jumps and whatnot.

[quote name='Fjordson']This is my one concern. But I think the grappling hook + parachute combo is too dynamic for that to happen. I've played the demo six or seven times now and every time I've sort of "focused" on a different element. It's quite reminiscent of when I was addicted to GTA 3 and was doing something different every time I booted up the game.

In all my playthroughs of the demo, I've only actually attempted to complete missions once. This last time all I was doing was jumping into the fastest car I could find and racing cross country, hitting random jumps and whatnot.[/QUOTE]
This is pretty much how I feel about the demo. I've sat here and re-played it as much as 4 times in a row, occasionally, just because it's so much fun to do different things. Grappling cars to planes, grappling PEOPLE to planes. Taking the helicopter up as high as you can go, and then free-fall for what seems like an eternity. Day-one purchase? Probably not, but I'll own it sooner or later.

Game didn't feel right. Shooting people sucked and while whipping around in cars and other vehicles was fun it wasn't solid enough for me to get it.

I really enjoyed the demo. JC2 seems to have fixed everything that was lacking with the first one. I played the first game back on PS2 and I'm playing through the 360 game now, mostly for achievements.

The biggest difference (other than the graphics) is the ability to dual wield the grappling hook AND a weapon. Also, the ability to grab on to ANYTHING as opposed to just vehicles like in the first.

I've got this pre-ordered. A day one purchase for me.

So is anyone pick this up today? I find it kind of odd that there's next to no advance reviews out there.

IGN gives it an 8.8. I would love to pick this up but I am going to wait til the summer. Too much of a backlog to take care of before Red Dead Redemption comes out in May along with Alan Wake.

Spring backlog season for me as well, but I will definitely pick this up at some point relatively soon. Probably after a 50% price drop.

well, i can tell you guys that it is awesome!

the complaints about not knowing what to do (or blow up) in the demo are a product of the demo. the game is straight forward with objectives. and it great running around hijacking helicopters and blowing s up.

Hey I am playing through the game and I need a little help . How do i destroy the communication outpost . I activate all 3 triggers and then out of know where they are become deactivated . if someone can help please PM me so I make sure I see it thanks.

[quote name='Fjordson']So is anyone pick this up today? I find it kind of odd that there's next to no advance reviews out there.[/QUOTE]

I played about 3 hours of my Gamefly copy yesterday and it was awesome. With what I've played so far I'd put it up with Saints Row and Crackdown (two of my favorite 360 games) as games that are just sheer joy to play. I didn't even mind the fact that I kept killing myself by pulling left trigger to zoom because you could change up your approach when replaying parts.

[quote name='jkanownik']I played about 3 hours of my Gamefly copy yesterday and it was awesome. With what I've played so far I'd put it up with Saints Row and Crackdown (two of my favorite 360 games) as games that are just sheer joy to play. I didn't even mind the fact that I kept killing myself by pulling left trigger to zoom because you could change up your approach when replaying parts.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='seanr1221']What difficulty is everyone playing on? I herd this game can get pretty unforgiving on later difficulties.[/QUOTE]

Yes the gme reminds me of both those games. Its kind of mindless fun.

Playing it on easy. Whimp I know. Screw it though this is the kind of game I just want to run around and go nuts with.

[quote name='seanr1221']What difficulty is everyone playing on? I herd this game can get pretty unforgiving on later difficulties.[/QUOTE]

I am playing on the third hardest (I believe it is "experienced"?) Anyway, I have had to restart some missions, and even restart at my last save (cost me 40 minutes or so) but overall if you use the black market to your advantage, i.e. getting weapons and ammo before or during a mission, most wont have trouble with the difficulty.

BTW all of that was IMO
(gotta love acryonyms)

black market questions...

if you buy a weapon in the black market, is it always available to you?

and why does the black market show the same pistol i can get everywhere like 20000?

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Hey I am playing through the game and I need a little help . How do i destroy the communication outpost . I activate all 3 triggers and then out of know where they are become deactivated . if someone can help please PM me so I make sure I see it thanks.[/QUOTE]

Shoot the 2 dish looking things that pop out. Few complaints thus far, for one, the plane controls are way way too touchy, and because of that the flight challenges are unneccessarily hard in the POS plane you're given. I've been just getting the chopper from the black market and using it. Another is the somewhat randomness of the military response. I can just be driving, or walking around minding my own business, not shooting anyone or anything, and just all of a sudden I am at heat level 1 and theres like 8 soldiers coming at me. Another is, I thought once you 100 % a settlement, the military is gone from it, for good. I've done it to a ton of bases so far and still there are soldiers there. Overall I am having a ton of fun though.

[quote name='TC']Yes the gme reminds me of both those games. Its kind of mindless fun.

Playing it on easy. Whimp I know. Screw it though this is the kind of game I just want to run around and go nuts with.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm playing it on casual as well. I'm about 2 hours in and I'm surprised how much I like this game. The grappling hook is badass.

[quote name='orntar']and why does the black market show the same pistol i can get everywhere like 20000?[/QUOTE]

Apparently the more weapon upgrades you find throughout the world, the better and more powerful his weapons become. I haven't found enough to confirm this, though. The same goes for the vehicle parts.

And there's only 450 of each to find. And the game world is only bigger than Cyrodil. This game's gonna keep me busy for a long time.

This game's fantastic. The grappling hook/physics/destructability makes the world soooo much less static than the first one and the gunplay is great. Kinda wish they had the guy from JC1/Uncharted still doing the voice of Tom Sheldon but that's a minor gripe.

What sort of crazy stuff have you guys been able to do with your grappling hooks? I was able to hook up a car to one of those boeings that reguarily take off from the airport and ride in it. The tether will snap if you're behind the plane during takeoff, but if you wedge it in under the front of the wing you'll go up just fine.

I could try this a thousand times and not be able to pull it off again..

firetruck.jpg

The physics in this game are fantastic. They have hit the right balance of fun vs. reality. This game has some of the best motorcycle riding of any game I have played. I generally stay away from riding motorcycles in games because it seems like you fly off the bike with any tiny bump. This game is different. You stay on the bike unless you have a significant impact. Hauling ass and cornering on the bikes is really fun.

I posted this on the PS3 thread a while back but it kinda fell off of the map so I'll mention it here:

You can ride the explosive tanks that shoot straight into the air(not the thin torpedo ones but the upright tanks). If you grapple on the very top of the tank Rico will stick on to it. You can then shoot it and fly up about a thousand feet before it explodes.

bread's done
Back