* * * * * 1 votes

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

#3391 Sinfulfate   The Podfather CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Would you guys recommend the Alienware m11x? I'm looking to get something to replace my android tablet. I want something that is powerful enough to run some of my smaller indie steam games like mercenary kings, Starbound, and torchlight 2 but also small/light enough so I can easily take it with me to and from work everyday.  I looked at reviews and it seems like a mixed bag. Some people loved it and others hated it.  Someone on Craigslist has the R2 revision with a core i7 640UM, 500gb HDD, 4gb ram, external dvd drive, Nvidia GeForce GT 335M for $500. Seems like a good deal and it is what I'm looking for but I'm a little worried since this is a old discontinued laptop so I'm not sure how long it will last.   

524190.png

#3392 denze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

Would you guys recommend the Alienware m11x? I'm looking to get something to replace my android tablet. I want something that is powerful enough to run some of my smaller indie steam games like mercenary kings, Starbound, and torchlight 2 but also small/light enough so I can easily take it with me to and from work everyday.  I looked at reviews and it seems like a mixed bag. Some people loved it and others hated it.  Someone on Craigslist has the R2 revision with a core i7 640UM, 500gb HDD, 4gb ram, external dvd drive, Nvidia GeForce GT 335M for $500. Seems like a good deal and it is what I'm looking for but I'm a little worried since this is a old discontinued laptop so I'm not sure how long it will last.   

Look at the Lenovo Y410  or  the Y510. Either should have the Nvidia's GT 750 with an Ivy bridge processor for around $600-$700. I think the M11 is a  bit outdated given that the card is only a 335M and for $500

#3393 Sinfulfate   The Podfather CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Look at the Lenovo Y410  or  the Y510. Either should have the Nvidia's GT 750 with an Ivy bridge processor for around $600-$700. I think the M11 is a  bit outdated given that the card is only a 335M and for $500

I ended up not picking it up. I looked at the Lenovo Y410 and Y510 but they are a bit much for what I'm looking for.  I have a gaming desktop PC already so I don't want a mid-high end 15" gaming laptop.  The Razor Edge Pro is exactly the type of device I want but its way too expensive.

524190.png

#3394 Navex   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1024 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

I was going to make a thread but since the title says recommendations as well I guess I'll ask here first. I'm NOT a PC gamer in the slightest but want to play Marvel Heroes and these are the requirements:

• CPU: Core 2 DUO 2.1 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.1 GHZ or better
  • Graphics Card: DirectX10 Compatible card with 512 MB VRAM or higher that fully supports Shader Model 3.0
  • System RAM: 2Gb or higher
  • Hard Disk Space: 10Gb or higher

I need to get a new computer anyway and just use it for general desktop usage (net, music, Youtube, etc) so I really don't want to invest into building one and just want to buy one. For $500 or less can I get something recommended that can easily play that game as well as be used as a regular desktop? Maybe something that allows for basic upgrading in the future (swapping out video cards and such) but that's about all I want since I don't play games asides from that one I want to or do anything that requires a lot of power like video editing or such. I'm not very computer savvy so if any of this sounds dumb, sorry.

EDIT: Don't need a combo as I already have a monitor, keyboard, and such.

#3395 denze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

I was going to make a thread but since the title says recommendations as well I guess I'll ask here first. I'm NOT a PC gamer in the slightest but want to play Marvel Heroes and these are the requirements:

• CPU: Core 2 DUO 2.1 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.1 GHZ or better
  • Graphics Card: DirectX10 Compatible card with 512 MB VRAM or higher that fully supports Shader Model 3.0
  • System RAM: 2Gb or higher
  • Hard Disk Space: 10Gb or higher

I need to get a new computer anyway and just use it for general desktop usage (net, music, Youtube, etc) so I really don't want to invest into building one and just want to buy one. For $500 or less can I get something recommended that can easily play that game as well as be used as a regular desktop? Maybe something that allows for basic upgrading in the future (swapping out video cards and such) but that's about all I want since I don't play games asides from that one I want to or do anything that requires a lot of power like video editing or such. I'm not very computer savvy so if any of this sounds dumb, sorry.

EDIT: Don't need a combo as I already have a monitor, keyboard, and such.

Forgot to ask, where do you live? do you have a microcenter near you?

EDIT: Yesterday I posted an Intel build which was based on the 4440 with no discrete card. It came out to around $500 +. Here's a setup with a R9 270 with AMD's Richland 760k which comes out to $530

http://pcpartpicker....enze/saved/3Z1u

#3396 Eggplant_Wizard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Eggplant_Wizard

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'm putting together a mini ITX system. I'm not into PC gaming really at this time, but I'd like to have enough horsepower for everything else. I'm thinking going Intel, but what CPU should I go with? RAM? Looking for best bang for the buck type parts.

#3397 Fanboygamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   197 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Fanboygamer

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

Here's a good starting point for you if you want to go intel/nvidia

http://www.reddit.co...oof_gaming_rig/

#3398 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   9193 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

I'm putting together a mini ITX system. I'm not into PC gaming really at this time, but I'd like to have enough horsepower for everything else.

Not quite sure I understand.  'Everything else' = ?

#3399 Duo_Maxwell   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5751 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Duo_Maxwell

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

I'm putting together a mini ITX system. I'm not into PC gaming really at this time, but I'd like to have enough horsepower for everything else. I'm thinking going Intel, but what CPU should I go with? RAM? Looking for best bang for the buck type parts.

Not quite sure I understand.  'Everything else' = ?

Mooby has a good question. Also if it's your first I do NOT recommend building a mini-itx gaming rig. It can obviously be done but it is at least a level or 2 more difficult given the extra cable mangement, literally squeezing everything in, lack of upgrade ability, etc. Plus there's the cooling factor to consider... If want a system that really plays everything and does it well it's going to generate some decent heat.

#3400 Eggplant_Wizard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Eggplant_Wizard

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

I meant everything else as in general computer use. I've been building my own computers for years, but it's been a while and I'm just getting back into what's current. I usually go AMD, but there aren't any mITX boards that interest me.

#3401 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   9193 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Honestly you might just consider a tablet.  Is there anything you'd be doing that would require a powerful CPU?  If not, and you still want a desktop you can get some Intel i3 processors for as little as $120ish (possibly lower) and a mITX mobo for around $80-100ish.  Currently Intel is on 4th generation (Haswell) processors so you'd want something like an i3-4130 -- then just pick a corresponding 1150 socket motherboard of the form factor of your preference mini ITX, micro ATX, etc. (Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI are the brands you want to go with).  There isn't going to be a lot of choice but that isn't really a concern given your needs.  Then when you've picked a mobo you'll know what RAM to buy (go with 8 GB) though I think most DDR3 will go in most boards so long as you aren't getting the kooky overclocked variety.

#3402 encendido5   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   3855 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Here's a nice, well-reviewed mITX case for $30 after rebate if you're still going that route.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119276

fs_overall.png

#3403 elessar123  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Here's a nice, well-reviewed mITX case for $30 after rebate if you're still going that route.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119276

I have the 130, which is a little better. They fits full sized video cards, which is awesome. Tons of room inside for being small. Venting is decent. You can't fit a good air CPU cooler, which is the biggest downside to me.

Unlike the 130, the 120 doesn't have a mesh front, which obviously helps airflow.

elessar123.pnggpOYCAm.jpg

#3404 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   9193 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

And just to throw it out there if you wanted to build a system that you could expand on in the future to make a gaming system I'd opt for an i5-4670 (k/unlocked isn't really important unless you know you want to do overclocking) which would run you another $80ish.  Additionally 750ti graphic cards are $150. You won't be maxing out games but it should allow you to play most stuff on medium settings for the next couple of years.  Obviously that adds $250+ to your budget but just putting it out there if you have the money and want to consider it.

#3405 Duo_Maxwell   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5751 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Duo_Maxwell

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Also if it's a gaming rig or no I'd go with full modular power supply in a mini-itx system. I've only ever built one itx system but wire management in the tight space was the biggest freaking pain. A modular PSU would save you tons of time and cut down on your wire clutter freeing up some airflow.

#3406 ZForce915   Group hug! CAGiversary!   6420 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

http://www.newegg.co...t=Combo.1594959

For a sub-$300 build, what does everyone think of this?  It's mainly going to be a general use computer and maybe some old games like Modern Warfare (the first one) and old hits like that.

Posted Image

#3407 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   9193 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:53 AM

Not sure if you'd be able to play even the older Modern Warfares without a graphics card.

#3408 elessar123  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

Not sure if you'd be able to play even the older Modern Warfares without a graphics card.

You can.

#3409 s0undwav3   Report Lazerbeak! CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:53 AM

http://www.newegg.co...t=Combo.1594959

For a sub-$300 build, what does everyone think of this?  It's mainly going to be a general use computer and maybe some old games like Modern Warfare (the first one) and old hits like that.

You can get more for your money if you build something, and if you have a local microcenter near you.  Most of the time you can get a motherboard either free or around $10 bucks with CPU bundles.  I actually only get this parts from microcenter whenever I need to sell my old system and build new.  It's just totally worth it.

I don't like any of the A6 processors, too slow imo.  Look around for benchmarks using google.  tomshardware is a good choice.

- S0uNdWaV3

#3410 ghost1914  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Not sure where to put this question but since this is a pc enthusiast thread I will ask here. Does anyone have an nvidia shield and if so do you recommend it? Looking at it to stream my pc games and some emulation.

#3411 s0undwav3   Report Lazerbeak! CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Not sure where to put this question but since this is a pc enthusiast thread I will ask here. Does anyone have an nvidia shield and if so do you recommend it? Looking at it to stream my pc games and some emulation.

In a just a month or two the Shield 2 will be out.  You might as well wait for that.  The shield uses an old android OS and it really doesn't take advantage of all the horsepower of the device.  Shield 2 will be modular and also receive quarterly updates based on new kitkat updates.  Might as well just wait if I were you.

- S0uNdWaV3

#3412 ghost1914  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:52 AM

In a just a month or two the Shield 2 will be out. You might as well wait for that. The shield uses an old android OS and it really doesn't take advantage of all the horsepower of the device. Shield 2 will be modular and also receive quarterly updates based on new kitkat updates. Might as well just wait if I were you.

A day late as I bought it yesterday and opened today. For getting it all with store credit I'm happy with my purchase. If the shield 2 does release soon as in 1-2 months I'll see what I can get for this one and upgrade. It does what I need it to do and does it well.

#3413 Generico   It's Buggerin' Time CAGiversary!   182 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:50 AM

Possibly looking to build my first pc with a budget of $700-800. Aside from everyday activities(internet, youtube, etc), it would be used for editing/capturing game footage(elgato game capture), streaming, and maybe some pc gaming. I'm really only looking to play dayz.

It would also be nice to get a ssd in the build as well with room for 1 or 2 hdd's.

"Behold.... Fishboy!"

br4indead.png

#3414 chibilaharl   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   153 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

chibilaharl

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

Hey guys, long time no see this thread...lol. I built a pc with you guys a while back that ended up bitchen and im here to ask for guidance once again.

My goal is to build a pc Capable of running ff14, at 60frames 1080p on max settings. My estimated budget is between $500 and $800.

Here is what i dont need: Monitor, case (im building this pc inside a vfd cabinet i reclaimed from a water treatment plant) Mouse, KB or optical drive.

I basically need everything else. you guys are awesome at making these builds so any help is greatly appreciated!

Currently looking to sell or trade: Duke Nukem Forever Complete Pack, Borderlands GOTY, Mafia 2, and more all activate on steam. PM me with offer.

#3415 elessar123  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

Hey guys, long time no see this thread...lol. I built a pc with you guys a while back that ended up bitchen and im here to ask for guidance once again.

My goal is to build a pc Capable of running ff14, at 60frames 1080p on max settings. My estimated budget is between $500 and $800.

Here is what i dont need: Monitor, case (im building this pc inside a vfd cabinet i reclaimed from a water treatment plant) Mouse, KB or optical drive.

I basically need everything else. you guys are awesome at making these builds so any help is greatly appreciated!

That's pretty easy, actually. Just get a GTX 760 (~$250), i5 Haswell (~$200), 8 GB RAM ($70), just about any motherboard ($70-200). Alternatively, you can get away with a GTX 660 (~$200). I wouldn't go down to an i3, just because it's harder to upgrade in the future. Though spending the same amount on your processor and video card is usually a no-no.

I have an Ivy Bridge i5, GTX 670, and I benchmark like 13000 on FFXIV.

#3416 chibilaharl   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   153 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

chibilaharl

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

awesome, ty. also do you have a PSU you reccomend at this point?

Currently looking to sell or trade: Duke Nukem Forever Complete Pack, Borderlands GOTY, Mafia 2, and more all activate on steam. PM me with offer.

#3417 elessar123  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

awesome, ty. also do you have a PSU you reccomend at this point?

Anything Corsair or Seasonic. Preferably modular, especially if you want a smaller case (smaller than mid tower). You shouldn't need more than 500W.

Non-modular

Modular

#3418 s0undwav3   Report Lazerbeak! CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

Anything Corsair or Seasonic. Preferably modular, especially if you want a smaller case (smaller than mid tower). You shouldn't need more than 500W.

Non-modular

Modular

I don't recommend those anymore. I highly recommend EVGA power supplies, the ones that have the 10 year full warranty.  You pay a bit extra but what's great about them is they are dead silent when the computer is at idle and spin up proportional to the games you might play.

On the PC, actually if you can swing it, you should probably get a Nvidia GTX 760 or 760 ti for 200-250.  Some of the GTX 770's are going now as cheap as $280.  I probably would not waste money on a 6 series card anymore, unless you find something dirt cheap.

Also get a motherboard that has SLI.  So in the future you can buy another video card and it's usually a lot cheaper than upgrading a single card and spending X more money for less performance if you just could do SLI.

So example first I got a GTX 670 FTW when they first came out (retail 399- but had a 30 mail in rebate).  Then 1.5 years later I got the exact same card for $200..  Now I have performance better than a Titan.  Most of my games play at ultra at 1920x1200 or 3 monitors at high settings.  

- S0uNdWaV3

#3419 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   9193 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:21 AM

Would definitely step up to a 770, the price difference between it and the 760 is fairly trivial given the entire cost of a new system.

#3420 s0undwav3   Report Lazerbeak! CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

Yea I just picked up a eVGA GTX 770 SC (the dual fan cooling) for a cool $245 at a B&M Microcenter on clearance.  It was cheaper than the 760's...and the thing can be overclocked a lot.

That's going into my other system now, replacing an aging ATI card.

- S0uNdWaV3