Digital Distribution Threaten Existence of Cheapassgamer?

naruto179

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
When I mow the lawn, I usually zone out and think about things. Today I realized that if companies move to digital distribution, then wouldn't cheapassgamer loose some of it's purpose? I know it is a far off possibility, but I was thinking how sad it would be if it happened. Just a thought.

well, I'm sure even with digital distribution, each company offering it would have different prices, sales, etc. The publishing company itself isn't going to distribute the game digitally all by itself when it can have others companies such as gamestop, amazon, etc. who would have a much higher consumer base distribute the game for them.

Cheapassgamer is about providing gamers with information to good deals in the gaming worlds, whether it be hard copies or digital. It's not all about the trade forums :)

digital distribution isn't going to come and replace anything completely. it will co-exist with retail sales of physical discs but in a small section of retail. people want an item and not a virtual product. how do you buy games for someone as a christmas present on digital distribution? the sort of joy that one receives when they get a real item as opposed to a virtual product.

retail will always be here forever and digital distribution will have a small part with retail.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']digital distribution isn't going to come and replace anything completely. it will co-exist with retail sales of physical discs but in a small section of retail. people want an item and not a virtual product. how do you buy games for someone as a christmas present on digital distribution?[/QUOTE]
time released gifting via distribution platforms.

BELIEVE IT

DD will effect CAG but it's still a long way off. The bandwidth just isn't there for the next wave of consoles to be pure DD and I'm sure a discounting model will develop as we transition to pure DD. CAG will survive as a means to help us find DD deals.

Phase one of Skynet. DESTRUCTION OF CAG!!!

skynet-terminator.jpg

DAMN YOU ROBOTS!!!! CAN'T YOU LET US SHOP FOR BARGAINS WITHOUT TRYING TO DESTROY US?!

I was discussing this with my friends a few nights ago. I used Warhawk as an example, it is $30 download right? Sears had it for $9.97 with the headset. How often is a company going to sell a digital download for 66% off let alone including the headset like with Warhawk.

The days of paying $1 - $5 for current gen retail games will be over (clearance sales). I picked up Full Auto 2 for PS3 for $0.97 at Sears a few months ago. That will never happen with digital downloads.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']digital distribution isn't going to come and replace anything completely. it will co-exist with retail sales of physical discs but in a small section of retail. people want an item and not a virtual product. how do you buy games for someone as a christmas present on digital distribution? the sort of joy that one receives when they get a real item as opposed to a virtual product.

retail will always be here forever and digital distribution will have a small part with retail.[/QUOTE]
I agree that physical and digital will co-exist, for a good while, and digital will eventually be the only option to buy games in the distant, distant future but sooner rather then later physical will be in the minority. In 2014-16, whenever the next generation of consoles start coming out digital distribution will be the main version people buy.

It will more then likely be like CD's. CD's are in stores for people to buy but a vast majority of people are downloading them online to put on their iPod.

The day when physical video games are non-existent is at the very least 15 years away (Xbox and PlayStation have said that they are on a 10 year cycle and 360 and PS3 launched in 2005 and 2006 so think 2015-2016ish for Xbox 720 and PS4). The rest of this generation will have physical media and I don't think in 5 years we will have made enough strides technically where developers can afford to only put out a digital version when they are putting millions and millions of dollars into developing games.

Let's say games go full digital distribution only.
Even if newer games are no longer physical copy, there's still thousands upon thousands of physical games out there that people will come and trade, amoung other things.

So the answer to the topic is yes and no, imho.

It will take away a chunk of potential content, but there will always be games and stuff to sell and trade.

I personally hope it stays physical and not go digital.

Yeah one of the "values" of digital distribution was supposed to be the savings on production and shipment of the physical media to stores, but when digital titles are the same price as they physical brethren I cry foul.

Steam may have some sales but heaven forbid if you buy a retail code and it doesn't work (as it did with me 2 years ago) you're pretty much screwed. Sony does have some sales sometimes that are pretty good. MS's Gold-only sales 90% of the time are a joke, this week's sale of SSF2THDR being one of the FEW exceptions.

small games may go digital distribution but not big games.
music cds are a different story because the sizes are small. additionally, in music cds you have ownership of the download content, which is a plus for people who download music. music are transferable from one device to the next.

with games it doesn't work so nicely. downloaded games aren't useable in all devices. if i downloaded a game, and the next system is released, then more likely i won't be able to use it on the next system. then you have the huge file size which most people don't have the net speed to download.

[quote name='nyprimus4']I agree that physical and digital will co-exist, for a good while, and digital will eventually be the only option to buy games in the distant, distant future but sooner rather then later physical will be in the minority. In 2014-16, whenever the next generation of consoles start coming out digital distribution will be the main version people buy.

It will more then likely be like CD's. CD's are in stores for people to buy but a vast majority of people are downloading them online to put on their iPod.

The day when physical video games are non-existent is at the very least 15 years away (Xbox and PlayStation have said that they are on a 10 year cycle and 360 and PS3 launched in 2005 and 2006 so think 2015-2016ish for Xbox 720 and PS4). The rest of this generation will have physical media and I don't think in 5 years we will have made enough strides technically where developers can afford to only put out a digital version when they are putting millions and millions of dollars into developing games.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of what you say, and it does make sense. Weekly sales will probably be rare since they'll send PSN and MS Points cards for you to use to download the game with like with itunes. I'm one of the few that still buy physical CDs unless it's a great deal, like Amazon's daily deals on mp3 downloads and $5 mp3 sales.

One problem with the issue of digital downloads is games use up much more space than mp3 downloads. Sony and MS will either have to be providing 2TB or more HDD as standard or digital downloads won't be as standard as we expect. Games like MGS4 already take up around 20gbs or more on a blu-ray now. I can only imagine how much largers next generation games will be.

The next generation of consoles isn't that far off, what they mean with a ten year cycle is like the PS2 where it's still being sold concurrently with the PS3. I expect the next E3 to have some kind of announcement of the next generation of consoles and for the PS4 and Xbox 3 to come out in 2011 or so.

I agree mainly because we havn't really seen sales currently for games on the 3 consoles besides a few things here and there. Has there been a price drop for games that came out early on? If anything it is a way to maintain that $60 price tag for the life of the game. They would rather discontinue selling the game than offer it at a reduced price. Steam is the exception to this but a game like Braid that came out last year is still the same price. Sales are one thing but the actual price would need to drop.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah one of the "values" of digital distribution was supposed to be the savings on production and shipment of the physical media to stores, but when digital titles are the same price as they physical brethren I cry foul.[/QUOTE]

This is my main complaint with DD. There should be a significant savings (I'm not talking 50% off or anything, but 25% or so isn't asking too much imo) to purchasing DD over physical, and yet nobody seems to do that beyond Steam sales.

[quote name='Ryukahn']This is my main complaint with DD. There should be a significant savings (I'm not talking 50% off or anything, but 25% or so isn't asking too much imo) to purchasing DD over physical, and yet nobody seems to do that beyond Steam sales.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is the iPhone/iPod touch, where you can't even find a game that costs more then $10, and most are 99 cents. Yeah, yeah, I know that most of those aren't on par with DSi/PSP games, but some are. Maybe the key here is that there is no physical counterpart at all - Apple doesn't have to deal with retail distribution of games at all. That has to reduce costs pretty dramatically. It looks like Sony may be going that direction slowly, but so far their DD games are identically priced to their retail distribution games, which doesn't make any sense at all. Perhaps they plan to lower the prices once they eliminate retail-sales (if they do that)?

Just like they still produce vinyl there will always be physical copies of video games. The day they go DD only is the day I stop buying video games.

[quote name='mang9432']amazon has sales on xbox/wii dlc

there are threads for deals on points cards.[/QUOTE]

Not even close to the deals we get on physical products. Not even close. The only thing close is when we see those guys selling cheap points and games on eBay, and God only knows how they can afford to sell stuff that low. The reality is, we are not going to get what we get, now. We aren't going to be able to get a game that was once $60 for $5, because it's on clearance, and a store just wants it out. We aren't going to be able to buy a newly-released game for $40, because we have a used coupon at GS. It simply isn't going to happen.

Cheapassgamer will be needed as long as game hardware exists. I'll still need to shop for deals or sales of the Playstation 36, or the Xbox Brainstem Extreme Hookup, or the Pelican direct vestibular system stimulator.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not even close to the deals we get on physical products. Not even close. The only thing close is when we see those guys selling cheap points and games on eBay, and God only knows how they can afford to sell stuff that low. The reality is, we are not going to get what we get, now. We aren't going to be able to get a game that was once $60 for $5, because it's on clearance, and a store just wants it out. We aren't going to be able to buy a newly-released game for $40, because we have a used coupon at GS. It simply isn't going to happen.[/QUOTE]

i think we may be surprised, look at some of the deals on steam on older games

Digital distribution isn't the problem, IMO.
It's episodic games that make me annoyed. They are the rip offs. Expansion packs and DLC is one thing..but to have to buy like 4-6 parts of a game is DUMB.

[quote name='mang9432']i think we may be surprised, look at some of the deals on steam on older games[/QUOTE]

People who distribute PC games have no choice but to lower the prices. PC games are far too easy to pirate, so they often sell them at drastically reduced prices, hoping they can convince a few people not to pirate. I mean, why pay $20 for an old PC game, when you can just steal it? That's how people look at it. And lots of new games are now coming out at really low prices, too. Look at Ghostbusters. $60 on the PS3 and 360. $30 on the PC. Yeah, it doesn't have any MP, but still, it's $30 less.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44'] I mean, why pay $20 for an old PC game, when you can just steal it?[/QUOTE]

Lot of pirated software on the net include trojans and viruses. You could lose lot more than $20 if someone steals your online banking info and etc.

Sorry, but if you get a virus, you don't know how to use a computer. Anyone with the smarts to pirate software should know to avoid anything like that.

ask yourself, when was the last time you gave someone an itunes download card and they were excited about the gift? i am very doubtful that many will be thrilled as opposed to getting an actual disc or something physical.

put it this way, it's your birthday or christmas time and you're going to receive a present. you know it has something to do with movies so you're excited. guess what, it isn't a blu ray player with some blu ray movies, it's a subscription to netflix. hurray.

Steam had Half Life on sale for $1 a few weeks back and Peggle for Ipod touch/iphone was $1 a week ago. Amazon had Doom for XBLA for $2 a few weeks ago (launched at $10). Anyone who says online sales and price drops don't happen is not very well informed. However given the choice I would always prefer a physical product if I could get one for a reasonable price. Sometimes you can't though. I would like to buy the European version of Patapon 2 on UMD but I am not going to pay $50 to import it when the digital version is $20. Just like how 100,000 people were willing to pay $10 for Final Fantasy 7 on PSN but I will bet a majority of them would not pay the prices a disc copy would cost on ebay.

I think we're at least 2 generations from wide spread DD in home consoles. The next console will still have an optical drive of some sort and physical media but there'll certainly be a much higher reliance on DLC episodic and expansion gaming. However, the next round of portable gaming will be all DD as evidenced by the Go, apple, and DSi.

That being said, I really wonder what publishers and developers think of DD as a business model. It certainly makes pirating harder, diminishes the secondary market, and perhaps reduces the costs of distribution. I question the latter since they have to still try to work with retailers and offer some kind of code on a card system or something so there'll always be shipping and producing costs linked to some kind of physical product for store display/sale. I can't imagine that much savings over existing systems since manufacturing and shipping are so cheap with the big boys (although it will certainly help the boutique publishers/developers).

I see a major problem with DD and I wonder what their take on it is. My problem is that while they essentially don't get any money from secondary (used) sales, I have to believe that they still want it because it makes buyers less risk averse in buying and trying new games. They know that a buyer will take a chance on trying out a new game because they know that if they don't like it, they can at least sell it or trade it in for some money back to buy something else. With DD, there's no "safety net" as it were. I think it would make gamers extremely risk averse in buying games - at least that's been my gaming experience pre-CAG. I played/bought maybe 10 games or less (only AAA releases at that) total between 2004-2008 before I discovered CAG. On the other hand, I've purchased no less than 10 games in the last 2 months just because of deals relating to used games, knowing that I would complete them and sell them right back.

In the end, I guess if new DD games were about 50-75% of their current MSRP (and subject to frequent sales like steam of app store), it might not be an issue at all for people like me.

Digital distribution will be here with the next generation, I think, what with the ever increasing amount of bandwidth and the low cost of data storage.

That being said, I don't think it'll kill CAG at all.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Steam had Half Life on sale for $1 a few weeks back and Peggle for Ipod touch/iphone was $1 a week ago. Amazon had Doom for XBLA for $2 a few weeks ago (launched at $10). Anyone who says online sales and price drops don't happen is not very well informed.[/QUOTE]

For one, I don't think anyone ever said it never happens. What people are saying is that you'll no longer have a used game market and clearance items. Also, your examples aren't exactly mind-blowing. I think better example someone raised earlier was Warhawk. You can find copies on clearance all over, some with the headset, for a lot cheaper than what Sony wants on the PSN.

It'll be a blessing and a curse. Losing the used market and clearance sales will suck, but I'll be really glad to see all of the old classic games downloads on future consoles. I'd think we'd see fewer special editions or at least different bonuses included in the special editions(online artbooks/soundtracks instead of physical ones). I enjoy getting the special editions so those going away will sort of suck.

I'd expect to see some games released at cheaper prices than they would be released at retail. I feel a company like Atlus would look at releasing the games cheaper than they do currently since they no longer have to deal with printing the games.

I'd hope all games would be cheaper, but I know some companies won't think twice about charging $60 for a download. But, one thing Sony and Microsoft are thinking about is a rental service for their games. Now that certainly could make digital distribution more enticing, depending on pricing plans.

I would hope they'd keep it in line with gamefly's pricing plans if they do a monthly subscription fee for access to a set amount of game rentals per month. They could also charge you a rental fee for each individual game instead of/in addition to doing monthly fees. As long as the price and the amount of time we get to play the games are reasonable I don't care how they handle any potential rental service.

Digital Distribution won't kill CAG. Online stores (especially Steam) always give discounts, holiday specials, etc... And as more games go digital, and more online stores start up, there'll be more competition and more of these kinds of things. CAG will just have to adapt to the changing times.

And of course, physical copies of games will still exist. Just in time, as more things go online, physical media will be more marketed towards enthusiasts like us ;-). Companies will still make their limited special editions just like music artists still make their Collector's Vinyl Editions.

I also don't see why you guys think the used game market will vanish. There's no reason why a system where one could transfer licenses and have the broker (probably the company that made the system) take a cut from the transaction couldn't be made.

[quote name='under_scorer']Digital Distribution won't kill CAG. Online stores (especially Steam) always give discounts, holiday specials, etc... And as more games go digital, and more online stores start up, there'll be more competition and more of these kinds of things. CAG will just have to adapt to the changing times.[/QUOTE]

That's the one thing, though. I don't think the OP was suggesting that, all of a sudden, CAG will be gone. But it will change dramatically. No more clearance threads, with people reporting the latest drops. No more GS used coupons or TIV threads. A lot of things will be gone, and CAG won't be nearly as fun...or profitable...

[quote name='Liquid 2']I also don't see why you guys think the used game market will vanish. There's no reason why a system where one could transfer licenses and have the broker (probably the company that made the system) take a cut from the transaction couldn't be made.[/QUOTE]

Have you been paying attention the model that is out there already? There is no "used game market" for stuff on the PSN or XBL Arcade. There are ways to "share" things, but it isn't the same. You need to have some trust with the person you are sharing with. Having places like GameStop and such help out CAGs, because it's another option. That option will be gone.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I'd think we'd see fewer special editions or at least different bonuses included in the special editions(online artbooks/soundtracks instead of physical ones). I enjoy getting the special editions so those going away will sort of suck.[/QUOTE]

More like pay an extra $10 for some DLC that would have originally cost $5 separately.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']ask yourself, when was the last time you gave someone an itunes download card and they were excited about the gift? i am very doubtful that many will be thrilled as opposed to getting an actual disc or something physical.

put it this way, it's your birthday or christmas time and you're going to receive a present. you know it has something to do with movies so you're excited. guess what, it isn't a blu ray player with some blu ray movies, it's a subscription to netflix. hurray.[/QUOTE]

Actually you would be surprise at how many little kids own ipod. An itune card would be a lot more useful to them than any music cd.

fuck that! I'm against this digital distribution crap til the last damn disc. I'd say fight by using what's the most important your $$$, but if the people that buy EA crap (NHL franchise doesn't count... :roll:) is any example then this is a lost cause...

Didn't Target already put GTA Lost and Damned on clearance awhile back? It's only a matter of time before we see Patapon do the same. As long as we get DLC and/or games in the form of DVD/Game Cases with a card in them there will always be sales.

The only way we'll see the end of CAG is if everything is server side aka you need to pay by Credit Card and theres no option for points. But even then there will be people on CAG looking for deals on older systems. But we'll also have a place for hardware deals like controllers, hard drives, etc.

I don't mind DD and now the only reason is because of space. I mean, I rather have 100 games right now on my hard drive versus 100 360 game cases hanging around. I live in a one bed room apartment and It's not pretty at all when you have over 800 games lol.

bread's done
Back