- - - - -

I just got fingerprinted for a trade in at gamestop?!?!

#1 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10738 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

My store said this just started today, and it was going to apply at other gamestops. They asked for my thumb print and made me fill out some paper work (had to input my address), they looked at my ID and everything! This was in sacramento if anyone was wondering

Edited by CaoPi, 02 July 2009 - 12:51 AM.
update

#2 crzyjoeguy   King of Beers CAGiversary!   2534 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:45 AM

gtfo gamestop will never ever get my prints. only people that will ever get my prints will get them against my wishes (and hopefully they never will:-P)

#3 mortalfloater   I <3 refrigerators! CAGiversary!   249 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

mortalfloater

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

We used to do that for hardware trade-ins at the Gamestop I used to work at.

#4 smarkbran   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1396 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

What the hell..is this legal? That is ridiculous..If my gamestop does it am done with them for good

#5 crzyjoeguy   King of Beers CAGiversary!   2534 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:50 AM

my store said this just started today, and it was going to apply at other gamestops. They asked for my thumb print and made me fill out some paper work they looked at my ID and everything! This was in sacramento if anyone wa wondering

may i ask what you traded in just for curiosity sake?

#6 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10738 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

may i ask what you traded in just for curiosity sake?

some ps3 and 360 games from my personal collection this was for the fight night deal!

#7 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

uh ohoz.

#8 crzyjoeguy   King of Beers CAGiversary!   2534 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

some ps3 and 360 games from my personal collection this was for the fight night deal!

thats crazy, i expected you to say i traded in a ps3 or something like that, but just a few games, yeah gamestop can rot in hell

#9 floormat   psn id: floormat CAGiversary!   1674 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

We used to do that for hardware trade-ins at the Gamestop I used to work at.

now thats a sig hahahaha

#10 Ziv   Jerk Extreme CAGiversary!   1681 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

@smarkbran: is it legal? It's probably required by law in his area. I guarantee you those employees don't want to. And if his GS has to, any other stores in the same area will as well.

#11 Chuplayer   Anticitizen One CAGiversary!   2472 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Chuplayer

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:36 AM

Fuck Game$top.

#12 bigdaddybruce44   Murders & Executions CAGiversary!   13295 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

bigdaddybruce44

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

...some of you are seriously beyond help. As Ziv pointed out, it is required by law in that area. The same would hold true at any store where you are trading in or selling goods. That way, local law enforcement can have a better chance at catching people who are dealing in stolen goods.

Guest_eastshore4_*

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:32 AM

I've been mulling this over for a couple minutes, and I don't see what the anger is about. Isn't a fingerprint just a more secure signature? I can't really think of how gamestop could use it for any sort of evil intent... the only thing I think it will do is prevent shady people from signing their names under "Rusty Shackleford". I'll admit I don't know much about these things so please enlighten me if I'm missing something but right now this just seems like an excuse to bitch about gamestop some more.

#14 dabamus   Banned Banned   4291 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

It's undoubtedly a new law in California. There's a law in Akron, OH that requires a card filled out with all kinds of details from my driver's license. If I go to a gamestop/fye/whatever outside of Akron I don't have to fill it out.

Thankfully I had the foresight to leave my SSN off my driver's license when they asked me if I wanted it on there.

#15 letsgetacid   Would you kindly? CAGiversary!   329 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

letsgetacid

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

You don't see a law REQUIRING (i.e. forcing) private businesses to collect finger prints for trade ins as a problem? I'm wondering how you feel about Chicago businesses forced to make their smoking patrons smoke outside against their (owners') wills.

If it indeed is not the law (that hasn't really been established as truth yet in this thread), and is an independent action that Gamestop is taking, that is fine. You don't have to trade with them, and the agreement to give your fingerprint ends there.

#16 Poor2More   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4008 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

I've been mulling this over for a couple minutes, and I don't see what the anger is about. Isn't a fingerprint just a more secure signature? I can't really think of how gamestop could use it for any sort of evil intent... the only thing I think it will do is prevent shady people from signing their names under "Rusty Shackleford". I'll admit I don't know much about these things so please enlighten me if I'm missing something but right now this just seems like an excuse to bitch about gamestop some more.

DUDE!! do you not watch movies? Gamestop can take our fingerprints and open doors and shyt man!

Guest_eastshore4_*

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:50 AM

You don't see a law REQUIRING (i.e. forcing) private businesses to collect finger prints for trade ins as a problem?

I don't yet know if it's a problem. I first want to know what makes it so different from a pen and ink signature? They require us to sign for our trade ins here amongst all other sorts of purchases, and I just want to know what makes this so different from that?

#18 QuiGonJinNTonic   CAG Uber-Veteran CAGiversary!   3178 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

QuiGonJinNTonic

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

DUDE!! do you not watch movies? Gamestop can take our fingerprints and open doors and shyt man!

That made me LOL. Thank you.

#19 bigdaddybruce44   Murders & Executions CAGiversary!   13295 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

bigdaddybruce44

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:55 AM

You don't see a law REQUIRING (i.e. forcing) private businesses to collect finger prints for trade ins as a problem? I'm wondering how you feel about Chicago businesses forced to make their smoking patrons smoke outside against their (owners') wills.

Sorry, but those are totally unrelated. Smoking is a legal activity. So, telling businesses that people are not allowed to smoke in their establishments, even if the owner doesn't care, is wrong. I have seen this take over in New Jersey and New York, and it annoys me.

This, on the other hand, is an effort by law enforcement to crack down on theft, which last time I checked was still illegal. I would much rather see a business like GS cooperate with law enforcement than have them do what eBay does and hide behind the "privacy" of their users. There was a news story I saw once about how much stolen property is sold on eBay, and they generally refuse to help law enforcement in any way.

LOL! Yes, that was definitely worth a laugh. Thank you.

#20 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:55 AM

Oy... Difference between a signature and a fingerprint...? Uh... A signature can be faked...

#21 dabamus   Banned Banned   4291 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:58 AM

Smoking is illegal in businesses like diners and other indoor places in Ohio, and it has been that way for a while now. It's nothing new in most places in the USA.

#22 Scorch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   37487 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:46 AM

I know it's law in Florida.. haven't heard about it yet in California.

#23 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14997 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:49 AM

If it indeed is not the law (that hasn't really been established as truth yet in this thread), and is an independent action that Gamestop is taking, that is fine. You don't have to trade with them, and the agreement to give your fingerprint ends there.

Trade ins in many cities/states are considered the same as pawning off merchandise in a pawn shop, and depending on city or state law can require a fingerprint to be taken just as if you went to a pawn shop.

I had to do it before when trading in stuff to an EB/Gamestop years ago, but I can't remember if it was in IL, KY, or MO. I haven't had to do it in MO for a few years now.

Smoking in public places can also be considered a health risk, which is why so many cities are banning it. I'm not normally for excessive government regulation, but I enjoy not having to worry about smoking/non-smoking sections and am glad it's going out of style.

#24 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

I know it's law in Florida.. haven't heard about it yet in California.

I won't ever know...

#25 gindias  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:07 AM

Fingerprints are pretty personal information thats why you are the only one with them. So game traders are treated like criminals except criminals are printed after they are caught. Yep that sounds like the new America were living in.

#26 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:14 AM

Don't forget strip clubs...

#27 Darrith   The Lion King CAGiversary!   443 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Heh, they're not doing it here yet, but the day they do is the day I stop going there. Giving my prints for shitty trade-in values is way too invasive for me. :roll:

#28 dAdXeR   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

I know this is the case in Florida, as they have to follow the same laws as a pawn shop. Not only do you have to give your finger print, the Gamestops aren't allowed to sell games that are traded in until 15 days have passed. As someone said before, it's to crack down on people who might be trying to trade in stolen games.

#29 Deadpool   I club baby seals CAGiversary!   2597 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

superglue on your finger tips people!

#30 Slartibartfast   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   56 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Slartibartfast

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Another reason not to throw money away by trading-in at gamestop.