why is uncharted drake's fortune so expensive?

hyunkim

CAGiversary!
isn't it like 2 years old? isn't it not selling like crazy? isn't a sequel coming out in a couple months?

how can sony keep it at a $50-$60 pricepoint? i played the demo and it was fun, but there's no way i'm paying that much for a game that has a sequel coming out that looks 2x better.... what's the reason behind it?

When a system hardly has any good exclusives, their top tier titles will hover around the MSRP, because owners of the system will have no other good games to choose from.

I see this on alot of games. Makes no sense. I just look at them and laugh and think that they can just choke on em. Of course I think that for ANY game anymore. New one out or old one. Prices drop to fast on 90 percent of games to even consider paying full price anymore. Hell, I won't even pay 1/2 price any more. I can wait em out.

[quote name='poor2more']when a system hardly has any good exclusives, their top tier titles will hover around the msrp, because owners of the system will have no other good games to choose from.[/quote]

qft

Even MSG4 dropped in price and went into the Greatest Hits collection. Uncharted is long overdue. I'm guessing when the sequel comes out this game will drop.... a whole $10!!!!

i believe it has to do with the uncharted bundle PS3. adding in a $60 game makes it a lot more appealing than adding in a $30 game. although this is only true to the casual fan who is looking to buy a ps3. anyone who knows better knows they can score this game much cheaper than $60

I bought mine from BBV during their sale a couple months ago for $20 brand new.. and i have definitely seen this game recently at the cost of $30..

I think you might just want to look harder..

It's a good game. Many people are willing to pay the MSRP on it. If you ask any CAG here though, I'm sure no one is willing to pay more than say $30.. but it's because we're more knowledgeable about shit like this.

I got my copy of Uncharted with my 160GB bundle. I paid $388 for the whole thing.. so I'm not complaining.

[quote name='Poor2More']When a system hardly has any good exclusives, their top tier titles will hover around the MSRP, because owners of the system will have no other good games to choose from.[/QUOTE]
Thank God it's not the PS3 that lacks in exclusives, right?

I was lucky. A couple months ago, I scored a brand new copy of Uncharted on ebay for $39. An ebay 15% off coupon further lowered it to $33. I really wanted to play it after seeing how great Uncharted 2 looks.

good god...why must everything devolve into fanboy bickering...is it too much to ask for people to play games, enjoy games, and not try to devalue the other consoles?

Honestly, I have no idea. This and Heavenly Sword still go for retail. That's asking for way too much for either game. $30 is definitely the sweet spot.

[quote name='naes']
[/QUOTE]

or you could just buy a 60gb 360 and save yourself about a grand on hardware. which is what most people are doing.

[quote name='Salamando3000']good god...why must everything devolve into fanboy bickering...is it too much to ask for people to play games, enjoy games, and not try to devalue the other consoles?[/QUOTE]

Of course everything must devolve into fanboy bickering. Which internet do you think you're on here?!?!? :)

The only thing missing here is an out-of-nowhere political cheap shot at the Republican party (which, of course, is done in the name of diversity and tolerance).

I blame Poor2More, he should've just kept it moving.

Anyways, Uncharted is still $60 because it's fucking awesome and worth it. Any CAG who's worth his weight can find this game for under $40 anyways, so I dunno why this thread is even here. Retail stores aren't going to cater to us when there are still people paying 60 bucks

[quote name='naes']
[/QUOTE]

That's a cute little list of statistics. I love how the author incorporates PC into the mix. He wouldn't do that because it allows him to include xbox console exclusives that double as Games for Windows into the PS3+PC combo, would it? nah

[quote name='naes']
[/QUOTE]

Yea but I can play and interact with ppl better on an xbox than a ps3 through their live system then the psn network, not to mention more downloads, whether they be games, add-ons, movies, or whatever then the ps3 if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure many people would agree with me that gaming on a xbox through live is much better then gaming through the psn network.

Hey I may be wrong though. Oh and those failure numbers, aren't those mostly because of the older systems?

I love "statistics" that are made with an obvious fanboy bias. It's like watching Fox News. All you need is a shot of a blubbering Bill O'Reilly.

[quote name='myl0r']i believe it has to do with the uncharted bundle PS3. adding in a $60 game makes it a lot more appealing than adding in a $30 game. although this is only true to the casual fan who is looking to buy a ps3. anyone who knows better knows they can score this game much cheaper than $60[/QUOTE]

Bingo, bango, bongo. You listen to Podcast Beyond mylor? Just asking as Greg Miller was the first person I heard on the podcast interwebs that had this opinion.

I don't know, but I've been waiting for it to drop down to at least $20.00 for what feels like forever now. I loved the demo, so hopefully they will do a universal price drop for when the sequel comes out.

[quote name='myl0r']anyone who knows better knows they can score this game much cheaper than $60[/QUOTE]

Like right now. If you're willing to get a used copy, most Gamestop/EB stores have lots in stock. Use the 20% off PS3 coupon to get it for $32, or if you have an Edge card, that further drops it to $28. The game was worth it at $60, and is nearly an outright steal at about half that today.

isn't it like 2 years old? isn't it not selling like crazy? isn't a sequel coming
signature_damoo.jpg
:)

The good game theory doesn't hold water. Burnout Paradise is a great game too. But is it $40? No, try about $15 on average. Uncharted is truly an anomoly, especially because it has been a pack in game sold with the 160GB system for sometime so used supply should not be an issue.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Bingo, bango, bongo. You listen to Podcast Beyond mylor? Just asking as Greg Miller was the first person I heard on the podcast interwebs that had this opinion.[/QUOTE]

no, I've never heard podcast beyond. is it good? maybe I should start.

Stupid fankids. Buy a PS3 and Wii and save yourself the trouble. I collect consoles so I had to own both and found the wealth of excellent games and free online gameplay FAR outshine anything the 360 has to offer. Let's not get into the reliability issue, they're STILL failing.

If you want a system with a lot of excess junk built in but a lot of great games, get PS3. If you like a variety of fun games, aren't opposed to games that rate below M, and want to try some new ideas thanks to the Wiimote get a Wii. 360 is left for the children who can't afford the big consoles and can't handle much more than shooter after shooter and swearing online. Live gets you nothing the others don't offer except ads. Have fun with that.

As for the topic, the game is worth it. Should it have been dropped by now? Probably. But these days the devs need to maximize their profits and price drops are a last resort. Plus sometimes things get missed. I saw a copy of Wipeout XL once in a store that was still $50, well after the sequel was released.

[quote name='Poor2More']When a system hardly has any good exclusives, their top tier titles will hover around the MSRP, because owners of the system will have no other good games to choose from.[/QUOTE]

Just to be the exception proofing your rule: EB Games in Canada just had MGS4 Limited Edition on sale for $9.89.

[quote name='Fanboy']Just to be the exception proofing your rule: EB Games in Canada just had MGS4 Limited Edition on sale for $9.89.[/QUOTE]

was that a sale? or a price drop? big difference

Sale or price drop, it's certainly not a case of "hovering around MSRP". My only point.

I still have not seen a sale or price drop on most other PS3 exclusives and have been waiting for one on Uncharted.

[quote name='Fanboy']Sale or price drop, it's certainly not a case of "hovering around MSRP". My only point.

I still have not seen a sale or price drop on most other PS3 exclusives and have been waiting for one on Uncharted.[/QUOTE]

MGS4 dropped last month, along with Ratchet and Clank. Gran Turismo Prologue also dropped. Valkyria Chronicles is $40. I just noticed Wal Mart is selling Killzone 2 for $50, which I was a bit surprised considering it is fairly new.

because it a fun game.. most people want to hold on to it. It has a nintendo effect. ie.. old game still expensive compared to other games.. look at any mario or zelda title

I rented it several months ago and beat it well within the rental period. Got tired of waiting for the drop. Its not the long and is single player experience.

Either that, or I bought it and sold it. Can't remember, too many games. The fanboy bickering is irrelevant to the OP's question.

A gamefly membership (trial) or trip to blockbuster should suffice. Unless you need to buy it.

IMO Sony made a bad call not including it in the last set of PS3 GH titles. Dropping the price on the original right before the sequel would have definitely increased sales for both.

[quote name='lindsapw']I was lucky. A couple months ago, I scored a brand new copy of Uncharted on ebay for $39. An ebay 15% off coupon further lowered it to $33. I really wanted to play it after seeing how great Uncharted 2 looks.[/QUOTE]

You want to play the original based on how the sequel LOOKS? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't we buy games to.....you know....PLAY?

This push toward HD everything and beauty over substance is really starting to piss me off.

fuck how a game looks, as long as it's FUN and not frustrating as shit, I'll PLAY IT!!

As for the question at hand, if the OP can find a used copy @ Blockbuster it's $19.99 USED there now, I think.

As for me, I had the game(bought with cheap credit from BBV when it was $35-40 used still) and I thought it was Tomb Raider Lite with a guy instead of a chick in the title role. No big difference over TR if you ask me.

I got rid of my copy for $20-30 or so, if I remember correctly. It was yet another game in my backlog which I'd never finish.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You want to play the original based on how the sequel LOOKS? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't we buy games to.....you know....PLAY?

This push toward HD everything and beauty over substance is really starting to piss me off.[/QUOTE]

Graphic whoring has happened forever in video games and will continue until the day we all have Star Trek: The Next Generation style holodecks to play the finally finished Duke Nukem Forever on.

So why get pissed off at what has been a focal point in the gaming industry?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You want to play the original based on how the sequel LOOKS? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't we buy games to.....you know....PLAY?[/QUOTE]

Graphics are important in games, and they can add to the overall enjoyment one gets while playing them.

Regardless, I don't see how the person you quoted made any reference to getting Uncharted because of the sequel's graphics. He probably saw some vids for Uncharted 2, thought it looked like a fun game, and decided to pick it up. No rant needed.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Graphic whoring has happened forever in video games and will continue until the day we all have Star Trek: The Next Generation style holodecks to play the finally finished Duke Nukem Forever on.

So why get pissed off at what has been a focal point in the gaming industry?[/QUOTE]

A focal point but not THE focal point. Personally, I'd still take a game that looks like the old Atari 2600 games, as long as it's FUN to play.

But I guess I'm the exception and NOT the rule, huh? I just don't get why there's such a push towards making everything pretty while making the games seemingly shorter and less and less worth $60 a pop(that is if you pay MSRP).

It isn't just Uncharted. All three of the PS3's big Fall 2007 exclusives (UC, HS, and RC) stayed high for over a year. UC and HS are still $50 new at GS, and RC just recently dropped to the GH price of $30.

Also, I wouldn't say this is PS3 only phenomenon. As others have noted, Nintendo first party titles always maintain high prices, CoD4 (which was also released in Fall 2007) has maintained a high price point across all platforms, and Halo 3 isn't exactly cheap at $40 for a 2 year old game.

[quote name='lolwut?']I blame Poor2More, he should've just kept it moving.

Anyways, Uncharted is still $60 because it's fucking awesome and worth it. Any CAG who's worth his weight can find this game for under $40 anyways, so I dunno why this thread is even here. Retail stores aren't going to cater to us when there are still people paying 60 bucks[/QUOTE]

i don't understand the argument that it's not abnormal for uncharted to stay at retail price because "people still play $60 for it." if halo 3 was still retail, i bet it would be still selling 3x+ compared to uncharted. yet it's down to $40. same with cod4. uncharted has sold well, but not extremely well by any means. gears, halo, cod4, mgs4, and more triple A titles that are even more revered than uncharted have all received around $20 price cuts before the release of a sequel....

You guys definitely hit the nail on the head with COD4. I still chuckle when I see it on "sale" for $40 almost a year after COD World at War has been released. I lucked out and got COD4 for $20 at Best Buy when a cashier screwed up couple months after it came out. She was supposed to take $20 off to match a competitor ad but instead over-rode the price to $20. To this day I still haven't seen a deal that beat it.

bread's done
Back