AMAZON/EBAY BUYERS BEWARE: PieceofMindMedia / NorAm selling YOUR used games as "NEW"

phear3d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
We all know that NorAm, through amazon.com, have been taking in trade-ins for used video games. alot of people arent aware that NorAm, aka pieceofmindbooks on ebay, have started to sell these very same games that people have traded in as "NEW" instead of used. they also reseal games.

they have turned themselves into a GameStop copycat at this point. what sucks is that they are getting away with it just like how gamestop gets away with selling things as "NEW" even if they were already used.

heres pieceofmindbook's negative feedbacks: (fyi i used toolhaus.org because noram have tons of feedbacks, its better that way)

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=pieceofmindbooks&Dirn=Received+by

edit: if you cant see the feedback results, please go there yourself at toolhaus.org and put "pieceofmindbooks" on the text field

they have also been selling on amazon and im pretty sure its the same deal. dont get fooled by them.

[IMG-L=4661]8857[/IMG-L]

[quote name='kell']I can confirm this. I just got some games from them yesterday. They are obviously used, one even has gamestop sticker residue on it under the seal. The interesting thing is that their reseals are the "y [fold]" seals so you have to know what you are looking for to tell.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, I'm getting an error when i try your link.

EDIT: nevermind, Vinny pointed out that Ebay blocks them (occasionally?).

In any event, that's complete and utter bull. I hope no one gets duped by them. That's just dishonest. Plain and simple.

I knew something was up when I brought "new" Phantasy Star from them and it didn't have the serial key.

If I remember correctly, and I do, Gamestop recently got sued for selling used products as new. I am honestly tired of seeing consumers getting screwed because the distributing parties "can" get away with it. These people are essentially selling refurbished products by labeling them as "new" because they use shrink wrap.

Sure, there's no counter on the discs to tell you how many times it has been played... but if I'm going to buy a game new... I damn sure want a factory sealed copy.

Toolhaus worked for me: Looks like it's not just games they are resealing. Theres quite a few DVDs that were resealed as well. Of course, you have to weed out the not received auctions too. I'm guessing ebay lets you get away with murder as long as only 1% of your sales come back as negative... though most of the neutrals should be negatives as well.

I come across this amazon merchant "piece of mind media" and "NorAM" alot when I order used games off amazon with Points2shop. I guess I'll avoid them now.

1 buyer who leaves a slew of negatives with the same comment -- i don't think that's enough to convict him. plus, why the heck did that buyer pay that much for some of those games... $19.88 for Mass Effect??? $22.84 for Mirror's Edge.

[quote name='daminion']1 buyer who leaves a slew of negatives with the same comment -- i don't think that's enough to convict him.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. That's why you should continue to read the negatives; you'll find there are dozens of similar complaints, all from unique members.

And that is enough to convict them.

Are you guys 100% sure that all of their inventory are used (all are coming from trade-in)?

Some of us (including me) are sending some of the games sealed though, so it's actually new.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']I come across this amazon merchant "piece of mind media" and "NorAM" alot when I order used games off amazon with Points2shop. I guess I'll avoid them now.[/QUOTE]

What's the problem here? Are you expecting a new game when you actually search for used?

That explains why on EBay and Half when they list a game as brand new, it just says our goal is your piece of mind and nothing about the game being factory sealed. That must be why they can price their products lower than everyone else.

In a similar vein, I've noticed a lot of sellers on amazon listing items as "New" when in the comments they say "Opened but never played" and the like.

[quote name='mguiddy']In a similar vein, I've noticed a lot of sellers on amazon listing items as "New" when in the comments they say "Opened but never played" and the like.[/QUOTE]

Woah, is Amazon starting to become like ebay with the start of shady sellers?

I must say a few bad apples make ebay look worse than it really is. Just do your homework before you buy.

Oh, these guys. Purchased two seasons of Samurai Jack from them about 2 months ago. Charged ~ 6 bucks for shipping (3 shipping each), yet both were packed quite tightly in a single bubblemailer. The plastic inside was cracked in one, and cracked w/ broken bits on the other. I probably should've asked for a new copy, but I had somewhat larger problems at the time.

Regardless, I'd never do business with them again.

It's common for Amazon sellers to skimp on listing the condition of a game. I bought Sonic Rivals, seller promised it was in very good shape, and it arrived in anything but.

I can confirm this. I just got some games from them yesterday. They are obviously used, one even has gamestop sticker residue on it under the seal. The interesting thing is that their reseals are the "y" seals so you have to know what you are looking for to tell.

[quote name='kell']I can confirm this. one even has gamestop sticker residue on it under the seal. [/QUOTE]OMG! thats classic!

[quote name='kell'] The interesting thing is that their reseals are the "y" seals so you have to know what you are looking for to tell.[/QUOTE]:applause:unfuckingbelievable.

I'm fairly sure those are the bastards that sold me the Matrix collection on blu as new but it was obviously resealed. On the plus side I got refunded and they never asked for me to mail it back.

*edit* Is peiceofmindbooks the same company? That's who I got the set from.

^Yep, same company. How'd you get a refund before shipping it back?

[quote name='darkslime']fucking assholes. We should email / call amazon with the toolhaus link to try and get them to stop making them a featured seller.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Ebay would care much, but I think Amazon would. They seem to be more worried about protecting their brand and site than Ebay does.

I knew I was taking a chance buying the games, it was one of those too low of a price deals. But you never know, I've gotten some great deals like that in the past.

I could tell it was Gamestop residue becase it was in the upper right on the front and on the spine; right where GS puts their stickers.

Anyone used "Return to Sender" to return stuff? I'm kind of nervous not having a DC to fall back on.

[quote name='kell']

I could tell it was Gamestop residue becase it was in the upper right on the front and on the spine; right where GS puts their stickers.
[/QUOTE]

I just emailed them, gave them my order number, told them I wanted to return it for a refund, and expected them to email back with where to send it. I got the refund but never got the return shipping info.

[quote name='opterasis']I just emailed them, gave them my order number, told them I wanted to return it for a refund, and expected them to email back with where to send it. I got the refund but never got the return shipping info.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, but haven't gotten a response. If I don't hear from them in a day or two I guess I'll go through Paypal's resolution process.

[quote name='kell']

Anyone used "Return to Sender" to return stuff? I'm kind of nervous not having a DC to fall back on.[/QUOTE]If it had DC on it, it should continue updating. Take it to the PO instead of putting it in your mailbox, make sure that they actually scan it. Also, tell them you didn't open it or they won't let you do return to sender.

Sent this email to amazon
Hello, the preferred seller of ICO for Playstation 2
http://www.amazon.com/Ico-Playstati..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1250743301&sr=8-1
peaceofmindmedia does NOT sell "NEW" product. They refurbish and reseal games to look like new but are not original factory sealed products.
I think having them list their items is a huge flaw in your system and you should remove them.
I have had issues with them on ebay and they have many issues with their products.
As a long time Amazon user, I do not want to feel cheated by your site as this seller clearly misrepresents their products under your brand name. I understand they probably generate much profit for you but please look into protecting the seller in this matter.
thanks kindly

wrote it quickly and fired it off, didnt want to think much. ignore the poorish language and grammar.
we should send this all to consumerist.org and other "watchdog" type sites.

Wow. That's just terrible. Even worse than GS. No GS store I ever went to (I know some have, though) tried to sell me a resealed game...only open ones. At least, I can tell it's likely used and walk away. Some people have no clue what is getting shipped out to them from these douches.

amazon just sent me a reply to my email saying "Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I'd like to ask you to send a report to our investigations team about this. They deal with possible violations of our seller policies. Each report they receive is investigated and the appropriate action is taken. However, we won't be able to release the outcome of the investigation"

so i guess thats what i will do next

[quote name='mguiddy']In a similar vein, I've noticed a lot of sellers on amazon listing items as "New" when in the comments they say "Opened but never played" and the like.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Amazon a few months ago and ran into this:

Yep, someone trying to sell a "disc only" copy off as "new". I don't think I've ever seen a worse new description than that before.

that sucks but as long as there are continued amazon coupon promos on trades I could care less. I just won't buy from them.

[quote name='dinobot']lol... wonder if they are suspended on ebay.... tons of negs[/QUOTE]

It's very unlikely... considering the volume of merchandise they sell, eBay will likely just turn a blind eye towards them. If eBay bans them, than they'll be out on a ton of listing/FVFs and I doubt eBay cares, as long as they're getting paid.

Yep, I bought a couple "new" games from them on eBay earlier this year, Gradius III & IV and MGS2: Substance. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal on both, but they were reseals. They were missing the white PS2 security strip on top and Substance had apparent water damage on the back of the cover art. However, the average person likely would have thought the games were new if not for the water damage, as they really did look "factory sealed." I reported them to eBay and got a refund, but of course nothing has come of the situtation and they continue to rip people off. I've noticed that they often price their "new" games at or around what an actual sealed copy would go for, furthering the illusion that they're selling factory sealed games that are often hard to find.

This is the first time I've seen good reseals with the "y" seal. If the game is one that didn't originally have the security sticker, it'd be hard to tell. The ones I got did have the overlap of the wrap along the spine versus the case opening.

Kind of scary to think if this type of resealing gets used by more resellers. It dcould get that much harder to detect them. I wish Sony and Nintendo would use the security stickers.

Wow, this sucks. I've already had to swear off half.com because of shady sellers listing used items as new. I'd hate to have to stop using Amazon Marketplace.

If Amazon drops them as a seller, wouldn't that mean no more trade-in bonus deals?

Lying to consumers and shrink wrapping games is deplorable. I appreciate the warning, and certainly won't buy from them, at least expecting new.

The thing is, it seems most of the DVDs people in that other thread people bought would have been good deals as used ones anyway - so I don't see the point of what they are doing (if it's true).

But yeah, definitely conflicted because if they can't sell, they won't take trade-ins and that program has been very very good to me ;).

They only accept stuff that is near mint, though, so I don't see why they can't sell things as in "excellent" used condition and leave it at that. Their customers would be much happier and they'd have much better feedback (which effects search rankings and discounts on closing fees thus saving them money). Occasionally people do trade things in to them brand new and sealed and in that case, by all means, they should sell them as new (even though they took them as a used trade - but they aren't GS so I think that would be OK).

hmm, I should buy some games from them, and then report them and hopefully keep the games for free for not being new.

[quote name='Arakias']hmm, I should buy some games from them, and then report them and hopefully keep the games for free for not being new.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:k i should do that for their ico.

you could probably win a credit card chargeback easier if there is even the slightest indication of it being reused/resealed.

bread's done
Back