Borderlands discussion - Is Moxxi hot or not?

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)

[quote name='Wikipedia']Borderlands features four player online "drop-in, drop-out" cooperative play along with other single-player and multiplayer modes, and a very large amount of weapons. Players can choose from four different playable characters who each have their own unique abilities and skill trees.[4] In addition, players may have access to customizable vehicles for "vehicular combat" and will also be able to customize their pre-selected character. Deceased enemies will drop some equipment, which is then available for players to pick up.[/quote]

Background & Plot
[quote name='Game Informer']In the distant future, several colonization ships journey to Pandora, a planet on the edge of the galaxy. The colonists are drawn to the planet in search of a better life and the prospect of striking it rich by claiming the vast deposits of mineral resources rumored to be there. After finally arriving, the colonists discover that the planet is barren of anything of significant value other than deteriorated alien ruins scattered across the land. Those who can afford to do so leave Pandora, and those who remain revolve around chaos and lawlessness. Some of the settlers seek to get rich quick by discovering alien technology, but most others are just trying to survive. After seven Earth years, Pandora's orbit brings it to the transition from winter to spring, and many horrifying creatures emerge from hibernation.

A beacon of hope for the remaining colonists emerges in the form of a mysterious vault carved in the side of a mountain. This vault is said to contain vast stores of alien technology and secrets. However, the people who discovered the vault were completely wiped out by some sort of protective force, and the only evidence of their discovery is a scattered radio transmission proclaiming the vault's majesty, but not its location[/quote]

Character Classes

Mordecai as the Hunter
hunterci.jpg

[quote name='Wikipedia']Mordecai came to Pandora in search of a man from his past named Demosthenes. Upon learning that Demosthenes has died, Mordecai sets off to learn how he died and what he was carrying. Mordecai is most proficient with pistols and sniper rifles. His class specific skill is the ability to release a deadly pet Bloodwing which can be trained to kill multiple people at one time. Mordecai's gunslinger skills benefit his proficiency with pistols (specifically, revolvers). His sniper tree adds damage bonuses to sniper rifle and makes him a more proficient sniper, and his rogue tree serves to improve his pet Bloodwing.[/quote]

Lilith as the Siren
sirend.jpg

[quote name='Wikipedia']Once a human, Lilith at one point was turned into a siren. One of only six Sirens, they are a group of people with unbelievable powers, but no way to control them. She comes to Pandora in search of another Siren, in an effort to find out more about herself. Lilith's most iconic ability is called "Phase Walk", where she will teleport herself into another dimension where Lilith becomes invisible and can sneak around enemies with massively increased speed. Upon revealing herself, she detonates a shock-wave that can do area effect damage to all enemies. Her skill trees are Controller, which makes Lilith's Phasewalk and melee attacks more powerful; Elemental, which makes her more powerful with guns by increasing their rate of fire and making the elemental effects of weapons have a higher chance of happening; and The Assassin tree makes her critical chances become higher, and increases her Phasewalk melee attack.[/quote]

Roland as the Soldier
soldiera.jpg

[quote name='Wikipedia']Roland is a former soldier of the Crimson Lance, a sort of highly trained private military that disregards law and order. A decade-old vendetta is rekindled when Roland learns that the leader of the Brigadiers has a suspiciously similar name to a man he has sworn to kill. Roland's class specific skill is a turret. It can be specialized to deal damage, heal teammates, or spawn ammo. His other skills involve increasing the damage he can inflict to making his bullets heal teammates.[4] His skill trees are: Medical which specializes him in healing himself and teammates, Support which improves the effectiveness of his turret, and Infantry which improves his damage with weapons.[/quote]

Brick as Himself
brickd.jpg

[quote name='Wikipedia']A massive specimen of a man who likes to use his fists to smash the enemy above all else. He wears a necklace adorned with the paw of his beloved deceased dog. He fills in the tank niche and can take quite a beating. His class specific skill is being able to go into a state called "berserker" which makes him invulnerable for a short period and makes his melee attacks extremely potent. His Brawler tree increases the power and duration time of Berserker, and also adds damage to his melee attacks. His Blaster tree increases his proficiency with weapons, mainly explosives. The Tank tree increases his maximum health and affects how fast his shield will recharge, and how much damage it can take.[/quote]

Weapon Rarity Color Guide

From User: WeepingWillow
  • White -> Green -> Blue -> Purple -> Orange
  • White - Vendor trash (White is also reserved for items used for professions, etc, but in Borderlands they're mostly vendor trash.)
  • Green - Uncommon (These drop from random mobs and appear in chests.)
  • Blue - Rare (These drop less frequently from mobs and are usually reserved for quest rewards.)
  • Purple - Epic (Drop from bosses)
  • Orange - Legendary

Downloadable Content

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned - 800 MS Pts - AVAILABLE NOW​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHVCOPGBFw

Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot - 800 MS Pts - AVAILABLE NOW​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DosLOfrn58

Secret Armory of General Knoxx - 800 MS Pts - AVAILABLE NOW​

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCAjXJ1uvxw

Claptrap's Robot Revolution - 800 MS Pts - Coming this year!​

scaled.php

Claptrap's Robot Revolution Announcement at Kotaku

Borderlands Avatar Gear

You can now purchase several Borderlands avatar items in the Xbox Live Marketplace. To see more pictures, look here.

daa51dbc20d5ae8c9daa84aada475bc6.jpg
2eab4a881659c6fe69bcca2ec2976adf.jpg

4cf4690975cef831f754d76a19b79097.jpg
4d15641215e45fc61fd9f33df5a2608a.jpg

Achievements

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/borderlands/achievements/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']This is it, apparently.[/QUOTE]

I guess so...weird the game never got one. I feel like it got one a loooong ass time ago, before the game got a facelift.

Sucks theres no interface to trade items/rolling for loot, but I will be playing with friends anyways, so I can always punch someone if I get screwed over. The potential of raging when playing with randoms seems really high.

There's a borderlands thread in the PC section that's been doing it's part for a while now.

I have my copy preordered, picking it tomorrow around 11-12. I'm definitely looking for people to play with, so please throw a FR my way if you want to play.

I'll be looking for people to play with this weekend, so everyone feel free to add me. I've got the game pre-ordered, but I'll be out of town until Friday.

[quote name='MemphisChill901']Is this 100% free roam? If so ima buy it. Hit me up if you wanna do some co-op . XBL: MemphisChill901 :p[/QUOTE]

I was watching someone playing this early and he said no its not free roam however, its a very big area anyhow.

Just picked it up from GameStop (5 and a half hours ago). Haven't been able to play it thanks to my 360 constantly freezing :/. And there was no preorder weapon code in the case either...

Picked this up at midnight from walmart, already played for 6 hours :D

This game is obscenely fun and addictive. Also, split screen coop is ftw.

[quote name='TheOtherBarber']Just picked it up from GameStop (5 and a half hours ago). Haven't been able to play it thanks to my 360 constantly freezing :/. And there was no preorder weapon code in the case either...[/QUOTE]

Just picked mine up as well. The girl working there knew nothing about the code. I showed her it on the website and she said it must be in the case. Of course it was not. I called another Gamestop and they did not know about the code either....

[quote name='DomLando']Just picked mine up as well. The girl working there knew nothing about the code. I showed her it on the website and she said it must be in the case. Of course it was not. I called another Gamestop and they did not know about the code either....[/QUOTE]

Wonderful. I'm hoping I have more success when I pick it up after work, but not counting on it. I specifically asked the manager at my local Gamestop if it would be in the case, and he said it was. (He was looking at my copy of the game, it has been there since Saturday.)

Either way it shouldn't be a big deal, if you have a friend with the code he can trade you the weapons, or you can find them (or better ones) not to far into the game.

[quote name='Weepingwillow']Wonderful. I'm hoping I have more success when I pick it up after work, but not counting on it. I specifically asked the manager at my local Gamestop if it would be in the case, and he said it was. (He was looking at my copy of the game, it has been there since Saturday.)

Either way it shouldn't be a big deal, if you have a friend with the code he can trade you the weapons, or you can find them (or better ones) not to far into the game.[/QUOTE]

I read on other forums that some of the copies have a sticker on the cover stating they come with the weapon pack. Mine did not have this sticker, so make sure yours does.

I've had a lot of sales reps during the SGT Johnson code fiasco say they don't know anything about the codes. One guy told me they only got like 4 which is impossible since I saw nother TRU sales rep give one out to a kid who happened to have a really hot mom in a velvet warm up suit...and that was during the $20 GC week.

It's possible the lower sales clerks on the food chain actually do not know about any codes, but if you see a bunch of DLC's on ebay then you can probably assume a bunch of them were snagged for self profit.

I didn't preorder, I'll pick up Borderlands after I'm done with all the games I impluse bought during teh B1G1 promos from TRU and amazon. Hopefully during black friday or closer to Christmas the price will drop or amazon will have it on a lightning deal of the day.

[quote name='DomLando']I read on other forums that some of the copies have a sticker on the cover stating they come with the weapon pack. Mine did not have this sticker, so make sure yours does.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']When you play this single-player offline, are the other three characters there with you and controlled by the AI?[/QUOTE]

Nope. It's straight up single player.

I've been playing it SP, I still really enjoy it. I'm gonna hop on MP later tonight after work.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Nope. It's straight up single player.

I've been playing it SP, I still really enjoy it. I'm gonna hop on MP later tonight after work.[/QUOTE]

Is the multiplayer strictly 4 player coop or are there normal multiplayer modes such as deathmatch like in Halo and COD? I'm thinking about getting it but I just wanted to clear this up first.

It's 2-4 player coop.

You can host a party and have people jump in and out at will. You also don't need to be the same level or different classes.

Think more Diablo, less Halo/Call of Duty.

Well, I was planning on waiting until Christmastime for this, but reading the reviews today has me convinced. Think I'll stop by on my way home from work and pick it up.

[quote name='DomLando']I read on other forums that some of the copies have a sticker on the cover stating they come with the weapon pack. Mine did not have this sticker, so make sure yours does.[/QUOTE]

That is correct. There is a small 'seal', not sticker on the actual front cover that says Gamestop exclusive free gearbox weapon pack. they probably gave you a non-pre order version of the game. :/

[quote name='Weepingwillow']It's 2-4 player coop.

You can host a party and have people jump in and out at will. You also don't need to be the same level or different classes.

Think more Diablo, less Halo/Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thank you much. Now I have to persuade my friends to buy it because this game is going to be mega fun.

I have been playing the single player game for a few hours now and I have to say this game is tight. Im glad I decided to go with this rather than go for Fallout 3 GOTY again right now.

Ended up getting this on the 360 instead of the PS3. Playing as the hunter right now, game is awesome. Feel right at home if you've played an MMO before :p I've played for a couple hours and have probably changed my gun 15 times already

Will get this game by the weekend. Cant wait to give this game a go. Is everyone playing this single player? Sounds like co-op is a blast but alas i know noone getting the game.

It keeps telling me I need to purchase a shield in the very beginning and I do, but I don't get it checked off. Any solutions?

[quote name='bardockkun']It keeps telling me I need to purchase a shield in the very beginning and I do, but I don't get it checked off. Any solutions?[/QUOTE]

You should have to put the piece you found back into the medic machine and it will allow you to buy a shield.

So, how's the COOP is it seamless? Would you compare this game to Crackdown? I'm wondering how easy it will be to play with my brother 98% of the time. Game looks pretty awesome.

[quote name='contej85']Anyone looking to play some co-op, I've got a level 23 Hunter and would love to get together with some CAGs. GT: PetriesLastWord Add me.[/QUOTE]

Dang, how are you level 23 already, jeez.

[quote name='Shion']Dang, how are you level 23 already, jeez.[/QUOTE]

I spent all day today getting my friend to level 23. he's also a hunter. I'm level 29.

Badass mobs...are badass. pulled a group and a badass lvl9 came and rolled my friend (lvl8 siren) and me (lvl8 solider) had to respawn to kill him.

this game is a lot of fun. very much diablo-ish with the amount of weapons and rares that drop.

Level 13 Soldier right now. I'm digging this game a lot, unfortunately I seem to be the only one on my friend's list who has it. If you're up late tonight playing and want some Co-Op, add me. XBL: AshDirektor

Picked it up at the midnight launch, the box had a sticker on it saying codes were inside. You really don't need the weapons after a couple of hours.

bread's done
Back