Valve FAILS at L4D2 pre-order demo release

snookie_wookums

CAGiversary!
The only reason most of the L4D junkies I know agreed to pre-order the game was because of the demo releasing today. Now after waiting weeks for it, Valve pushed it back to tomorrow at 2AM!!! Massive FAIL! You should see how the forums at steampowered.com are lighting up like a Christmas tree. Last time I will pre-order a Valve game for sure.

Oh noes, delayed a day! Get the fuck over it! Go outside, play a different game, cry into your pillow about how much your life sucks. The demo will still be released a day late.

[quote name='SynGamer']Oh noes, delayed a day! Get the fuck over it! Go outside, play a different game, cry into your pillow about how much your life sucks. The demo will still be released a day late.[/QUOTE]

Right, so the next you get something different than you paid for then according to your logic you should just shut up and deal with it instead of speaking up. Thanks for being a concerned citizen.

Don't get me wrong, when I buy something I expect to get what I want but it's less than a day pushed back. Chill out man. And I think the reason everyone pre-ordered is because of the $34 price tag.

Um, you did not buy a demo, you bought the game. Pre-orders get pushed back all of the time, sometimes months or even years, so I'm not sure why anyone would whine about a 1 day delay for a demo. I can't believe this is actually a big concern in your life...people will complain about anything...

There are of course more important things to be pissed off about, but I wasn't exactly posting on biglifeproblems.com. This is *supposed* to be a gaming community, and your attitudes frankly suck as consumers. Sure, demos are released late all the time, but in this particular case, Valve used it specifically to sell the game so it is indeed a part of why I (and many others) bought the game.

It's cool if you prefer to play the Halos but since L4D was a more important game for me, of course I'm pissed about it. Big concern in my life? Hardly, but you must be a better role model for all the kids of the world who should learn to just take a lie to the face and deal with it.

Valve's pathetic Steam servers probably can't even handle the load.

I was attempting to re-install Red Orchestra and both of it's mods. Throughout the day the maximum speed it was downloading was at 80 kB/s. Several times it said
"Steam servers are too busy to handle your request."

Tons of people can't even download the demo for Torchlight off of Steam.

You are not entitled to the demo. It is a bonus of purchasing the game. You're entitled to the game, which you paid for, and it is not out yet. You're at the mercy of the developers and you have no right to complain.

My brother preordered on Amazon, will he get a preorder code? He checked his email and didn't see anything about it.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']
but you must be a better role model for all the kids of the world who should learn to just take a lie to the face and deal with it.[/QUOTE]

lol. be a role model, dont wait out the one day delay kids, complain on a forum! that will show those pesky developers who delayed my DEMO

[quote name='crystalklear64']you pre-ordered l4d2, you deserve every misfortune.[/QUOTE]

OK, all these other $$$$$$s here can burn in hell for being so accepting of Valve's fuck-up, but yours is the first comment I've seen so far that is actually acceptable. And fuck you. That is all for now.

[quote name='Jodou']I could really care less about the demo anymore, but it's still funny to watch Valve pour salt in an open wound.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!:applause:

[quote name='Athefre']My brother preordered on Amazon, will he get a preorder code? He checked his email and didn't see anything about it.[/QUOTE]

He might have to email Amazon customer service for that. Good luck, they use the morons that got fired for incompetence from Dell.

[quote name='Scorch']You are not entitled to the demo. It is a bonus of purchasing the game. You're entitled to the game, which you paid for, and it is not out yet. You're at the mercy of the developers and you have no right to complain.[/QUOTE]

This is an invalid statement. If you buy an Apple Macbook and get a bonus iPod, are you not entitled to that bonus either? Are you "at the mercy" of Apple since you "paid for" the Macbook?

As a consumer, you ALWAYS have the right to complain, or else we'd all be lunching on ratmeat at McDonald's because nobody thought you should say anything when you got a rat McRib that other time. Really, I hope that someday when I open up a business I have such an understanding bunch of suckers for customers.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']This is an invalid statement. If you buy an Apple Macbook and get a bonus iPod, are you not entitled to that bonus either? Are you "at the mercy" of Apple since you "paid for" the Macbook?[/QUOTE]

If that iPod had a tentative and subject-to-change release date, then you would be right. But that's not the case.

Solution: Panic, cancel pre-order, new boycott.

So are you going to be rip shit if for some reason the actual game gets delayed? Seriously though if you are set up a video camera I want to see your brains covering your keyboard after that announcement.

Shit happens, shit gets delayed. Think of it this way, do you get everything done on time?

Man you are really some low-expectation-having motherfuckers in here. And the demo has been pushed back again as of this morning. Really, if you guys ever ask yourselves why you don't have more of the things you want, look back at this thread and how accepting you are of failure. Good luck in life.

[quote name='SEH']I would've cared...but Borderlands came out.[/QUOTE]

How is that? Only heard from one person and they said it felt too much like TF2 with lego weapons.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']How is that? Only heard from one person and they said it felt too much like TF2 with lego weapons.[/QUOTE]

Having 2 cynical people hang out is never a good idea.

Anyhow, wookums I respect your expecting the utmost out of developers but this is Valve we're talking about. They wouldn't push back the demo unless they had a fire in the server room and couldn't take the load for the download frenzy, or there was some crazy glitch in the demo that broke the game or something. Releasing an early demo is way above and beyond what most companies do for pre-order bonuses, on top of the crazy small pricetag and that exclusive bat.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Having 2 cynical people hang out is never a good idea.

Anyhow, wookums I respect your expecting the utmost out of developers but this is Valve we're talking about. They wouldn't push back the demo unless they had a fire in the server room and couldn't take the load for the download frenzy, or there was some crazy glitch in the demo that broke the game or something. Releasing an early demo is way above and beyond what most companies do for pre-order bonuses, on top of the crazy small pricetag and that exclusive bat.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to agree with Hyrdo here. If Valve is intentionally delaying a demo release, it's going to be for a very valid reason. A company releasing a demo of any kind is a fairly risky gamble, because the demo is serving as a first impression for the product, and we know how important first impressions are. Hell, look at the amount of flame the OP is getting from the blatant subject title.

Anyways, What's a day? I'm been waiting for Diablo 3 ever since I finished Diablo 2 before I got to college. You're still getting early access, and the bat. Did the release date change (no)? Are they nixing the access to the demo in it's entirety (no)?

I like the OP's fandom for the game, but seriously? Reminds me of that fake angry german kid video....

Hydro and rum, you raise good ppints. At the end of the day, it comes down to one thing: a deadline is a deadline is a deadline. When Valve released the date of the demo launch, they gave a commitment, just like the commitment of the game launch day.

Yeah you could say that they haven't changed the release date, just like they never changed the demo release date. My point: if you take a frog and throw it into a pot of boiling water it will jump right out but if you put that same frog into a pot of warm water and slowly raise the temperature, it will sit there and boil to death.

In reality, a frog will die instantly as soon as you throw it into a pot of boiling water, but the point is that when you sit and allow stuff like this to happen without any outrage, sooner or later you end up with Duke-Nukem-Forever-levels of delays. And all of this is why young people always get crushed by older people in politics and life in general; older people care enough to voice their opinions and exercise their right to organize and vote, all the while teaching their kids to accept what life and people in power give to them.

As a group of people with a common interest and money to spend on that interest, it is not our job to make excuses for Valve's, Blizzard's, or any other publisher's fuck ups. It's our duty to ourselves to think and say that when they fuck up, just like our bosses would at work, we need to hold them accountable to that so they don't think we're just going to sit and take it whenever they feel like changing dates around. FFS, the water around L4D2 for example has already gotten warmer.

Well I personally already got out of that pot of boiling water by not buying the same game I bought a year ago. I'm surprised you're so enraged by this, but are willing to throw down the cash for Left 4 Dead 1.5

Anyhow, have fun with the demo.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Well I personally already got out of that pot of boiling water by not buying the same game I bought a year ago. I'm surprised you're so enraged by this, but are willing to throw down the cash for Left 4 Dead 1.5

Anyhow, have fun with the demo.[/QUOTE]
For real, nothing I've seen impressed me as 'too big to package as free DLC'. Maybe if Valve had spent the last year releasing stuff every month, it wouldn't be such a large package. Taking bets as to how many of the campaigns are available in versus mode at launch!

Somehow this got sent to me by mistake so I felt I would pass it along.

Dear Snookie_Wookums:

We at Valve are sooooo sorry we did not live up to your all important expectations. We are sorry we failed you by not having the demo for Left 4 Dead 2 out on time as per your expectations. We are sorry that you had to spend your time pissing, whining, and crying on an internet message board rather than being able to play our free demo that we are giving to you for buying our game.

This being said, we would like to sincerely apologize to you even more for making you go all emo, and, in all honesty, causing you such mental anguish that you will not recover from it until long after you hit puberty and discover the true reason girls exist. We at Valve take your patronism seriously, so as a consolation for our inability to make a deadline that seems to be the most important thing to you in your little world, we will include along with your copy of Left 4 Dead 2 an autographed limited edition copy of our latest developmental IP entitled... Quit Bitching Cause We Don't Give A Damn.

Sincerely,
Valve Software

[quote name='Jodou']That letter is clearly a hoax. . .

The real Valve would have delayed it being sent.[/QUOTE]

awww shizzzzz

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Well I personally already got out of that pot of boiling water by not buying the same game I bought a year ago. I'm surprised you're so enraged by this, but are willing to throw down the cash for Left 4 Dead 1.5

Anyhow, have fun with the demo.[/QUOTE]

I'll bet that you go to every single Left 4 dead 2 thread on every message board you are a member off and spout off the same bullshit.

If adding melee weapons, new special infected, an enhanced ai engine, a new game mode, and 5 campaigns isn't worth the thirty or so dollars I paid then i don't know what is.

You can pretty much take an sequel and say it's not a sequel and just slap a 1.5 on it because it doesn't come with enough content. So your point is completely moot.

[quote name='Tancred']Valve's pathetic Steam servers probably can't even handle the load.

I was attempting to re-install Red Orchestra and both of it's mods. Throughout the day the maximum speed it was downloading was at 80 kB/s. Several times it said
"Steam servers are too busy to handle your request."

Tons of people can't even download the demo for Torchlight off of Steam.[/QUOTE]
That's probably because the servers are too busy downloading the multi-gig patch for COH! LOL :D
[quote name='crystalklear64']you pre-ordered l4d2, you deserve every misfortune.[/QUOTE]

Truer words have not been spoken! ;)

Thank you Richmeister for stating what would be obvious to anyone who's actually played the game. Valve is a great developer, and I do believe in supporting them on the whole, but to blindly give them loyalty would be as stupid as dismissing their latenesses and lack of preparation. After all, L4D was last year's *top selling videogame property* so they could hardly be given the charity of not knowing on some level what they had to put into place to support the launch, demo or otherwise. Nobody forced them into giving a release date and publishing it on their own website. According to the contract that is created when the consumer purchases a game, they failed to deliver. As of this moment, mere minutes from the now-twice revised release time, the game still reads as unreleased. We shall see what 4:00pm EST brings.

It's really funny how all some of the less bright ones here are more upset about me voicing a negative opinion of Valve failing than about the issue at hand. Talk about messed up priorities and failure at life.

Do you even understand what a demo is used for? A demo is supposed to bring attention to a game and attract buyers to said game. If their demo was not yet ready and they had released it with some sort of bug or shitty quality, then many people who were on the edge with buying this game would then decide they didn't like it and wouldn't buy it. Why the fuck would Valve want people to not buy their game by releasing a demo that is still glitchy and not yet ready for play? Apparently they still had a couple problems with either the demo or distributing the demo and didn't think it would be wise to release yet. I see you survived waiting that extra day or two, hopefully it's worth it now and actually plays compared to it being released 2 days ago or whatever and you bitching about how it lags or it doesn't download fully, or that it freezes on the title screen or some other bullshit.

OK. I gotta ask you man, do you know what to do with a woman? I'm thinking not because you seem to have alot of pent up frustration going on over there. Maybe, just maybe if you walked away from the computer and into the dating scene for a little while some of that anger would subside.

As far as messed up priorities in life, lets see. Get all bent out of shape over a "missed deadline" on a free demo, or reserve my frustration and direct it towards things in life that really matter like, oh say national debt, unemployment, the current state of our economic system, the Obama administrations inept ability to handle any of the previously mentioned items... HMMM yeah your right. We should be more upset over a free demo not being out on time.

Once again, the time changed, not to 5:00pm. Mark my words that this is a sign of things to come with Valve, and it's entirely probably they will do the same kind of crap with the actual game release, which is a bigger reason to be upset. Of course, ktims can just sit back and enjoy the festivities until he/she/it gets upset about the delayed release of the latest Barbie Horse Adventures game.

[quote name='ktims777']OK. I gotta ask you man, do you know what to do with a woman? I'm thinking not because you seem to have alot of pent up frustration going on over there. Maybe, just maybe if you walked away from the computer and into the dating scene for a little while some of that anger would subside.

As far as messed up priorities in life, lets see. Get all bent out of shape over a "missed deadline" on a free demo, or reserve my frustration and direct it towards things in life that really matter like, oh say national debt, unemployment, the current state of our economic system, the Obama administrations inept ability to handle any of the previously mentioned items... HMMM yeah your right. We should be more upset over a free demo not being out on time.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, spoken like a true pedophilic Republican. Go read the drudge report, we're here to talk about games.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Once again, the time changed, not to 5:00pm. Mark my words that this is a sign of things to come with Valve, and it's entirely probably they will do the same kind of crap with the actual game release, which is a bigger reason to be upset. Of course, ktims can just sit back and enjoy the festivities until he/she/it gets upset about the delayed release of the latest Barbie Horse Adventures game.[/QUOTE]

Wow... I guess you spit on Blizzard too for never giving out a deadline right?

Your deadline priorities are misplaced.

[quote name='ktims777']ok. I gotta ask you man, do you know what to do with a woman? I'm thinking not because you seem to have alot of pent up frustration going on over there. Maybe, just maybe if you walked away from the computer and into the dating scene for a little while some of that anger would subside.
[/quote]

+1

Agreed. This thread has me in tears.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Really, if you guys ever ask yourselves why you don't have more of the things you want, look back at this thread and how accepting you are of failure. Good luck in life.[/QUOTE]

And this might be the quote of the year!! So true, but so harsh!!

Aaaaaaand now it's 6:00pm. It really does seem like Valve is doing it just to pour more gasoline on the hot mess that is already L4D2. I think all these apologists for Valve here are PR flacks hired by Valve to try to cover up the mess. Good luck, I will keep the fires burning, though it's not hard with all this gasoline.

bread's done
Back