Sonic Adventure Coming to XBLA

maxim2boobles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
SEGAOnline reports that the Dreamcast classic, Sonic Adventure, is coming to Microsoft's download service.

Achievements added:

• Miles “Tails” Prower: Become friends with Tails.
  • Knuckles the Echidna: Become friends with Knuckles.
  • Amy Rose: Become friends with Amy.
  • E-102 “y”: Become friends with E-102.
  • Big the Cat: Become friends with Big.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog: Clear the Sonic story.
  • Super Sonic: Clear all character stories.
  • The Fastest & Stongest: Get Level A on all the Action Stages.
  • Sub Game Master: Get all Emblems of the Sub Game.
  • Chao’s Best Friend: Get all Emblems of the Chao Race.
  • The Adventurer: Get all Emblems in the Adventure Field.
  • The Perfect Adventurer: Get all 130 Emblems.

2eed8d659cb6b7356e885024878ed1c0.jpg

This guy needs a home

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Soul Calibur, dood.[/QUOTE]

Let me rephrase:

Ah, the first true signs of non-gimped DC games for download.

I've never really counted Soul Calibur in terms of releasing DC games for download, mainly because it wasn't the full game. I'm a bit weird like that, though. :lol:

Man, I'll be tempted to to buy this even though I still own it for Dreamcast. Very good game; one of my favorites of the late 90's.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I hope not. Sonic Adventure was awful.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, having more games and more choices is horrible. Please no more!

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yeah, having more games and more choices is horrible. Please no more![/QUOTE]
Yeah, having more bad games on XBLA is the best idea ever.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, having more bad games on XBLA is the best idea ever.[/QUOTE]

I think you are one of the very few who found it awful.

I wasn't a fan of Sonic Adventure, either.

The only good (to me) coming from this will be that Sega sees it needs to get more DC games out on XBLA/PSN/Wiiware. I don't really care which service.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, having more bad games on XBLA is the best idea ever.[/QUOTE]

Does it hurt you to have it up? The marketplace will decide if it is a good idea or not. It's not as if they are chosing one DC game and this is it.

I can't stand any 3D sonic games, but if they can emulate the DC well, then this could be pretty sweet. I wonder at what point does xbox live arcade and that new gameroom thing overlap? Scrolling through the marketplace is hard enough on the xbox, I hope we won't have to start guessing which "storefront" different games will be located in. PITA

[quote name='wildcpac']I think you are one of the very few who found it awful.[/QUOTE]
I don't think that would be the case if Sega follows through on it like Giant Bomb found out, as it has great moments that are buried by the dumb Adventure aspect of the game. I could easily see people realizing that the game's not as good as they thought.

Meanwhile, they should find the Dreamcast games that would obviously work much better for XBLA, like Chu Chu Rocket, Tennis 2K2, Power Stone, and maybe even stuff like Jet Grind Radio and Crazy Taxi.

[quote name='bardockkun']Jet Grind Radio would be more interesting as a Wii game if done right.

Power Stone 2 (with all the PSP extras) I'd KILL for.[/QUOTE]
Sega hasn't had great luck on the Wii with their Samba De Amigo and Nights remakes/rereleases, so I'd probably avoid that option.

fuck, I'll buy it. For 800 anyway, maybe 1200, if I get a good deal on points. When I saw a Sonic Adventure demo running on the DC in EB back in the day before it came out I thought it was the most awesome thing in the history of the world. First time I really got into it, followed the development of the DC, got the magazines and everything. Got me back into console gaming in 1999 and basically got me out of it in 2001 or so until I got the Wii.

So nostalgia will sell this, anyway.

yea.. crazy taxi's are a must.. but by now it feels like they have be re-released so many times..

cant wait to play Sonic again...part 2 was also loads of fun

Crazy Taxi probably won't happen, and even if it did, Sega no longer has the rights to the licensed music. That's copyright hell they aren't going to go through for a downloadable title. But stranger things have occurred in the past.

Dont care what the haters say, I loved Sonic Adventure. But yeah, the 360 is making my Dreamcast library obsolete. (Soul Calibur, MVC2, Ikaruga, MOTW) All it needs is Jet Grind Radio, Rival Schools & Power Stone 2 and I can get rid of my DC.

[quote name='SpazX']fuck, I'll buy it. For 800 anyway, maybe 1200, if I get a good deal on points.[/QUOTE]You're not a CAG if you don't get a good deal on points. ;)

I'd agree, 800 points, it would be worth looking at. 1200 points, not so much.

[quote name='Strell']Crazy Taxi probably won't happen, and even if it did, Sega no longer has the rights to the licensed music. That's copyright hell they aren't going to go through for a downloadable title. But stranger things have occurred in the past.[/QUOTE]
Custom Soundtracks. Then you can expand it to have more songs from each band outside of the four that the original had.

Those of you clamoring for this game need to go back and read the reviews of this game when it first came out on the Dreamcast. Darn thing was basically unplayable in some spots because of camera issues.
If they're fixing the issues (unlikely), then it may be worth a shot at a discounted price, otherwise, keep it and bring back something else.

They may as well bust out Armada, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, and MDK2.

....maybe even Shenmue and Seaman.

[quote name='dragonjud']Those of you clamoring for this game need to go back and read the reviews of this game when it first came out on the Dreamcast. Darn thing was basically unplayable in some spots because of camera issues.
If they're fixing the issues (unlikely), then it may be worth a shot at a discounted price, otherwise, keep it and bring back something else.[/QUOTE]

I would say it is more playable than the other 3D sonic game on the market.

[quote name='dragonjud']Those of you clamoring for this game need to go back and read the reviews of this game when it first came out on the Dreamcast. Darn thing was basically unplayable in some spots because of camera issues.
If they're fixing the issues (unlikely), then it may be worth a shot at a discounted price, otherwise, keep it and bring back something else.[/QUOTE]

Read reviews? I beat the game. Sometimes the camera is a little annoying, but it's usually pretty good, a lot better than some of the more recent 3D sonics. The annoying part of sonic adventure really is big the motherfucking cat.

I think the Sonic Adventure series deserves to be released on PSN as well, especially for PSP. Portable Sonic Adventure would be one of the greatest things to ever happen.

[quote name='007']Ah, the first true signs of DC games for download.

Goodbye, money.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's Ikaruga, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Soul Calibur.

[quote name='robpe36']Well, there's Ikaruga, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Soul Calibur.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but they were all ports from other platforms to Dreamcast.

I think people are referencing the news of a couple months ago when it was rumoured that Sega was working on bringing the DC library to download.

I hope it works out well because there's a ton of Sega games that were amazing that no one bought as a retail disc. Gives the opportunity for the franchises to continue if they sell as DLC.

[quote name='BigPopov']Yeah but they were all ports from other platforms to Dreamcast.

[/QUOTE]

Ya, but the platform was arcade machines and not other consoles.

And don't forget about REZ. That was on the Dreamcast first.

Shenmue and Jet Grind Radio would do it for me.

Though JGR has loads of licensed music like Crazy Taxi, so that may be an issue.

I remember there being one licensed track (was it Luscious Jackson or Cibo Matto?) that really fit the theme of the game - and then was hit upside the head by an aural brick known as "Rob Zombie," which just ruined the moment over and over again.

Time doesn't make mediocre games better. Only noteworthy thing about this game was the VMU "pet" and I don't see how that's going to be recreated here.

I still play my DC regularly...so I'm not sure I'm up for DC releases on XBLA. But where the fuck are the Saturn remakes? Panzer Dragoon II Zwei is PERFECT for an arcade title, as is Guardian Heroes. And don't get me started on PD Saga. I'd play it for a third time if I could...in up-converted HD glory. I think Sega is focusing in the wrong areas...despite how well Sonic will sell.

And yes, the Xbox Jet Grind was pretty solid.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Time doesn't make mediocre games better. Only noteworthy thing about this game was the VMU "pet" and I don't see how that's going to be recreated here.[/QUOTE]

I presume the original game was 4:3, so couldn't they make a "virtual VMU" off to the side? Mind you, I don't know what it was used for as I never had a dreamcast, nor ever played this game.

Incidentally, is the Sonic Adventure DX for Gamecube this same game? I might pick up a used copy of that instead, if so, since I'm not a big fan of 3D platformers and might not end up liking it. At least I could trade-in or sell a physical copy.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Time doesn't make mediocre games better. Only noteworthy thing about this game was the VMU "pet" and I don't see how that's going to be recreated here.[/QUOTE]

I remember playing with my VMU Chao in the bathroom at my first job out of Uni, good times.

I can't say I'm that interested in Sonic Adventure, I don't remember it being that great.

They should put Sonic CD out on XBLA, or some Saturn games like Ronin suggested.

[quote name='SpazX']Jet grind radio would be a must buy. I never played the Xbox one, was it any good?[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Jet Grind Radio on the DC...couldn't get into the Xbox release myself. (And I tried really hard to enjoy it.)

bread's done
Back