Best Online Deal 2009

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Post your nominations for Best Online Deal.
This award goes to the single best specific online deal or sale of 2009.

Last year's winner:
Best Online Deal: Amazon.com: Black Friday Weekend (and Beyond)

It's officially a dynasty for Amazon, who, for the last three years, has won the Best Online Retailer and Best Online Customer Service awards and has made it two in a row for Best Online Deal. Amazon's Best Online Retailer win is the biggest landslide in this year's Cheapy Awards, taking 83% of the vote. In response to their impressive victories, the Amazon Video Game Team has provided this statement:

"It’s an honor and a privilege to win the Cheapy Awards for Best Online Game Retailer, Best Online Customer Service and Best Online Deal. We’ve spent the last few years really focusing on creating a high-quality customer experience on Amazon.com for gamers and we’re thrilled to be honored by the community for our efforts. In the last year we launched the Release Date Delivery program (get the game the day it comes out), expanded the Amazon Gold Box to have game-themed days, and really focused our efforts on ensuring amazing deals for the Video Game Deal of the Day program. We’ve got more exciting things planned for 2009, but above all we will remain laser-focused on providing great deals for all gamers! Cheers."

Amazon's Black Friday sale. I have friends that are still talking about all the games they've got sitting in their backlog from it.

Steam holiday sale. Nothing says "The season of giving" like being tempted to buy hoards of extremely discounted games.

I'll toss a vote in for XBLA's New Year's count down. So much speculation and, amazingly, relatively positive response from CAGs on the deals.

Steam's Holiday Sale. I don't play PC games, but spent over $30 buying over a dozen games. Even multiples of what I already owned. I could not pass those deals up; and even almost got $210 in overdraft fees for each and every purchase that went through (long story, but all the Steam purchases took me over, since something that was canceled charged me, causing it to go over, and these to make it go under; it was all resolved, though! Thank God).

Didn't bite on many deals in 09 but GameFly's year end sale would my pick. Started a nice backlog of 360 games thanks to them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't think of anything more memorable than Amazon's pre-Black Friday (and Black Friday) sales.

Even though, their sale was better in 2008.

I vote Good Old Games holiday sale. While Steam is right up there with their insanely good series of sales, I give GOG my vote for having good sales and including goodies with most games (strategy guides, soundtracks, documentation, etc.). Props to them also providing games DRM-free!

As much crap as I bought from Amazon over the course of 2009, I'm gonna have to say the Steam year-end sale was the best online deal.

I'll go with Steam sales even though I never took advantage of it. I was always looking at them wishing I had a decent PC to be able to play some of the awesome games.

[quote name='fatboyjam']I'll toss a vote in for XBLA's New Year's count down. So much speculation and, amazingly, relatively positive response from CAGs on the deals.[/QUOTE]

I second this. Amazon really let me down with their BF sale.

bread's done
Back