- - - - -

Accepting Paypal friends & family/gifting payments on CAG. (Updated 6/15/2016)

#271 GBKeroberos  

GBKeroberos

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:03 AM

The issue was, and remains unchanged, those who list a price but then require the buyer to use F&F or pay the fees.

I don't think it's unreasonable that when a seller lists a price, that is the amount they expect to receive. Why would the burden of the fee fall on the seller when there's an easily accessible fee-free method?

#272 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6671 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:05 AM

I don't think it's unreasonable that when a seller lists a price, that is the amount they expect to receive. Why would the burden of the fee fall on the seller when there's an easily accessible fee-free method?

For the same reason the burden falls on the seller with eBay, Amazon, etc.

#273 terrisus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   841 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:08 AM

Because it's both against PayPal's user agreement and against the rules of this website for the seller to charge an additional fee for the use of PayPal or to use Friends and Family/Gift for the sale of merchandise.

#274 GBKeroberos  

GBKeroberos

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:08 AM

For the same reason the burden falls on the seller with eBay, Amazon, etc.

The difference is that you have some basic level of protection and/or recourse with those services.

#275 GBKeroberos  

GBKeroberos

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:13 AM

Because it's both against PayPal's user agreement and against the rules of this website for the seller to charge an additional fee for the use of PayPal or to use Friends and Family/Gift for the sale of merchandise.

For digital items, it's no longer against the rules of this website.

The point is moot now anyway, but instead of "charging an additional fee" for the use of PayPal, you could list everything at a higher price, and offer a F&F discount (which would be your true price).

Semantics, and stupid.

#276 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6671 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:28 AM

The difference is that you have some basic level of protection and/or recourse with those services.

Same with PayPal. Bottom line, you agreed to a TOS. The fee from those transactions keeps PayPal running.

#277 terrisus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   841 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:53 AM

The point is moot now anyway but instead of "charging an additional fee" for the use of PayPal, you could list everything at a higher price

Yes, that was discussed up-thread

and offer a F&F discount (which would be your true price).

Not according to the PayPal TOS you can't.

#278 Auburn   No. 009 CAGiversary!   714 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

You can argue semantics all you want but it won't change the fact that F&F has become somewhat of a "norm" for a few years now here. It's also absurd that a seller of a 50 cent Steam game would be willing to eat over half of his sale in fees. We're all friends here anyway (unless you live in Brazil)[because you don't have access to F&F!], so using that option shouldn't be an issue, right? :-

#279 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20945 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:27 AM

The point is moot now anyway, but instead of "charging an additional fee" for the use of PayPal, you could list everything at a higher price, and offer a F&F discount (which would be your true price).

Semantics, and stupid.

You can argue semantics all you want but it won't change the fact that F&F has become somewhat of a "norm" for a few years now here. It's also absurd that a seller of a 50 cent Steam game would be willing to eat over half of his sale in fees. We're all friends here anyway (unless you live in Brazil)[because you don't have access to F&F!], so using that option shouldn't be an issue, right? :-

This exactly.  Why do people get so obsessed over semantics?

[H]

Game

[W]

$5 Paypal + $.50 fee if using regular paypal.

or

[H]

Game

[W]

$5.50 Paypal

I mean if people want to pay extra to make sure you're following the rules, then by all means be my guest.  The thing you don't get to do is say "I want you to follow the rules which means higher costs but I don't want the price to increase."  That doesn't work that way.  You can either reap the benefits of people's generosity or you can pay the cost of following the rules.  

If you want the fee to be hidden because it helps you rest your head at night, then fine, but it doesn't change the fact you're still paying the fee. 

#280 GBKeroberos  

GBKeroberos

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:34 AM

Same with PayPal. Bottom line, you agreed to a TOS. The fee from those transactions keeps PayPal running.

For digital items on PayPal, you really don't have any protection as a seller, which is why so many people request F&F. There is an inherent risk in these sort of transactions.

An established, reputable seller faces the risk of a hit-and-run chargeback from a scamming buyer in non-F&F transactions. Conversely, if you're buying from an established, reputable seller, there is very little chance they'll screw you as it would affect their reputation, especially on a community-based site like this.

If they're not well-known, then sure, you face a risk buying from an unknown. It's totally understandable to be wary of paying F&F in a situation like that.

But that is most frequently not an issue on CAG.

As far as the fees, I'm willing to bet these sort of transactions comprise a tiny, tiny percentage of PayPal's revenue. Keep in mind that this sort of thing didn't exist on a large scale ~8 or so years back, but PayPal has been a juggernaut since the turn of the millenium. eBay is what keeps PayPal running, not our $0.50 Steam game sales.

If PayPal offered any real sort of seller protection it wouldn't be an issue. Screw their TOS.

#281 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6671 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:18 AM

Your argument is a misinformed excuse. Plus you keep going back to Steam sales, which if you'll note I agreed with earlier as a valid use of F&F.

You guys sure are generous with Paypal's money and services.

#282 GBKeroberos  

GBKeroberos

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

Ah, refusal to engage. Didn't think we'd arrive here so soon. I see our work here is done.

In the end, the rules changed. Good enough for me.

#283 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6671 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:54 AM

Engage with what? You listed your thoughts, feelings and impressions before flat out stated you'll do whatever you want commitment be damned.

#284 GBKeroberos  

GBKeroberos

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

With regard to your specific complaint, FoxyPie said it better than I ever could:

I mean if people want to pay extra to make sure you're following the rules, then by all means be my guest.  The thing you don't get to do is say "I want you to follow the rules which means higher costs but I don't want the price to increase."  That doesn't work that way.  You can either reap the benefits of people's generosity or you can pay the cost of following the rules.

​I am finished. You are welcome to have the last word. :)

#285 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6671 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

With regard to your specific complaint, FoxyPie said it better than I ever could:

​I am finished. You are welcome to have the last word. :)

Finished doesn't make you right. ;)

#286 terrisus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   841 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

Final thought from me on this: It's amazing to me how many people come into a Rules thread, admit that they have been breaking the rules here for quite some time, insult people who have followed the rules, and even with the change in rules to be more permissive, imply that they're still going to continue to break the rules on the things that haven't changed.

So, yeah, carry on.

#287 atlas-me  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hello, glad to be a part of CAG community, i dont live in the USA and my PP doesnt have that f&f option, all i want to say thx to the people i dealt with and who took that in consideration, thank you.

#288 johnston306   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

johnston306

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

This needs to be updated or changed again to highlight the fact that PayPal Friends and family is NOT for physical goods and if the seller wants PayPal they need to absorb the fees... Way too many posts not following this basic rule.

#289 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6671 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

This needs to be updated or changed again to highlight the fact that PayPal Friends and family is NOT for physical goods and if the seller wants PayPal they need to absorb the fees... Way too many posts not following this basic rule.

While I agree with you, the mods are not going to force anyone to follow the forum rules or PayPal's TOS. If you see a post that requires F&F, and you're not willing to pay in that manner, then skip the sale.