eBay scam? Heavy Rain for $30

[quote name='wklump']Probably going to screw a lot of people.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 29 of them so far for this auction alone.

This is a total scam. Keep an eye on this auction. Seller will be non registered within three weeks. Guaranteed.

Either this or all of the games he is selling are stolen. My bet is the former.

I'll try it, paypal won't give him my money until he gets positive feedback from me, or he gets feedback above 100.
I bought a $100 amazon gift card for $13.50 from a 0 feedback and the guy gave it to me.
It might be a way for him to get positive feedback

Whats funny is that these people think they will just cut and run with the money. With ip logs and such that's not going to happen. Lets see 30 X 76 = 2280 dollars.. I do believe that's a felony. I'm sure he will enjoy the huge fine and jail time for it.

Maybe a Waste of time, but you will definitely get your money back as this will go downhill really fast due to the amount of games listed, also 0 feedback so paypal will not release any money.

His payments section should of look more like this : Will accept highly concealed cash send at your own risk !!! (Dumb ass criminals these days)

for those that are giving this seller a chance, I'd almost bet you'll get en email requesting positive feedback before they "ship" the item.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']for those that are giving this seller a chance, I'd almost bet you'll get en email requesting positive feedback before they "ship" the item.[/QUOTE]

ha I asked a couple of people to do this the other day. It sucks for legit sellers with little feedback. I was actually pretty surprised both just gave me the positive feedback so paypal would release my money.

What's funny is the other auctions that he has listed are actually priced pretty fair it's just this one that is rather cheap. Buyer Protection will protect against losing any money too.

Plus for me the list location is only about 30 minutes away.

The guys name is Jang Gun (or at least that's what it says on PayPal) and his address is "Non-U.S. - Unverified"

That makes me think I might be receiving a bootleg copy. In any case, eBay Buyer Protection seems to help out against things like this. I figured I would at least try and see if it would pan out and I would some how receive a new copy of this game for that price. Oh well

EDIT: Well, the auction is over. The listing has been removed and the "Seller" is no longer a member of Ebay. Who knew?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='exRounder']okay devil's advocate here:

everyone's gotta start at 0 feedback, right?[/QUOTE]
You're exactly right. And those who do take a chance will be covered, as long as they don't leave feedback pre-maturely. However, there are too many red flags that tells me to be extra cautious.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Remember, if your payment goes through, you can only get your money back from paypal if he still has it in his account.[/QUOTE]

No they will take it out of his even if he has no money and give him a negative balance.

Yes, the buyers will get their money back, if they haven't left positive feedback prematurely. If you read through the whole thread, you'll see that paypal actually holds the money until positive feedback has been left for the seller. It's one of the newer rules (and better) implemented by ebay to protect buyers from fraudulent sellers.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Yes, the buyers will get their money back, if they haven't left positive feedback prematurely. If you read through the whole thread, you'll see that paypal actually holds the money until positive feedback has been left for the seller. It's one of the newer rules (and better) implemented by ebay to protect buyers from fraudulent sellers.[/QUOTE]

So what if the buyer forgets or something?

[quote name='Mixer236']So what if the buyer forgets or something?[/QUOTE]Forgets what? I believe paypal will automatically release the funds after 45 days if the buyer fails to leave feedback or file a dispute.

Forgets to leave feedback. You answered my question though. Seems kinda annoying to me though, as I've had tons of instances where buyers didn't leave me feedback.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Forgets what? I believe paypal will automatically release the funds after 45 days if the buyer fails to leave feedback or file a dispute.[/QUOTE]

21 days. 45 days is the amount of time a buyer has to file a dispute.

And as for people saying "everyone starts at 0 feedback", a lot of people recommend starting out buying a few small items to get some positives under your belt. Just a thought.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Yes, the buyers will get their money back, if they haven't left positive feedback prematurely. If you read through the whole thread, you'll see that paypal actually holds the money until positive feedback has been left for the seller. It's one of the newer rules (and better) implemented by ebay to protect buyers from fraudulent sellers.[/QUOTE]

Ebay has been screwing sellers the past couple years with shit like this.

First it was you as a seller cant leave negative feedback no matter what, only buyers can leave negative feedback. So as a seller if I get screwed I can leave them a negative feedback or nothing. Well I can email ebay to report a problem but everytime I do I get a automated knee jerk response that was obviously already written up and just auto responded with someones name at the top telling me to contact the buyer if I havent already. And now this.

I sold a stethoscope that is ampliphied on ebay last year and I said in the auction the amplihication doesnt work and will need a special battery. So it sold and the guy threw a fit when he got it saying it didnt work, so he filed a claim with ebay and left me a negative feedback. So ebay refunded his money to him before he sent the item back to me. When I finally got it back the box was all beatup cause he just wrapped it in paper cause the stethoscopes box isnt meant for shipping and I got a negative feedback and a bunch of my time wasted because jackhole didnt read my auction before he bid. I had over 1300 positives and 100% rating, this guy had 7 feedbacks and still screwed me without recourse. I explained via chat, phone and the resolution service ebay opened when he filed a claim that I plainly stated in my auction it didnt work without getting a specific battery from the manufacturer and so on but no one actually ever responded to me, I just get a email saying "We refunded the buyer and this case has been closed. Thank you for using ebay".

Had another guy last month win an auction that lived in spain and despite my auction saying in 2 places I dont ship outside the usa he bid anyway and never paid, never emailed me or anything. So I had to file a claim and wait like 7 days before I got my listing fee refunded and since he was the only bidder I have to relist it allover again as I cant 2nd chance offer it. Guy wasted 2 weeks of my time for nothing. Guy has 0 feedback, been registered for over a year and is still active on there probablly wasting other peoples time.

They protect buyers to much now, there is no balance. The buyer has the power to leave negatives, not pay and cause problems with no real consequences. A seller can dick around a dozen buyers and make for a very bad experince and because they cant be left negative feedbacks or comments left no one would know, its not exactly fair. I know buyers are important but the sellers are equally important, without one you dont have the other.

So their terrible policies for sellers and all the god damn fees now I rarely use ebay to sell anything anymore unless Im going to make a decent chunk of change. Ive given stuff away rather than sell it on ebay because I dont want to take the risk of getting screwed over again.

I agree w/ gargus, sellers are getting screwed over on Ebay now. Buyers that do not pay can still leave you a negative and then the seller has to contact eBay support to get that removed. What a waste of time that is.

I made some good money about 6 months ago on eBay but now its not even worth trying. They are changing the fees on March 30th:

eBay will be dramatically reduced for sellers of all sizes with our lowest Insertion Fees ever. Whether you’re running a business or selling to earn extra cash, choose from a range of options designed to make your selling easier and more profitable:

Choose the option that’s best for you:

1. New “eBay everyday” standard rates: List Auction-style FREE—pay only if it sells

The new eBay standard rates are perfect if you sell occasionally.

• Either way, pay one easy Final Value Fee of 9% of the winning bid—and never more than $50—pay only if your item sells.
  • List in Fixed Price for 50¢ with Final Value Fees mostly the same as today.
So you are going to save 10 cents on the auction listing, but pay 4% more final value fee. A sold $40 game was $2.71 FVF now it would be $3.60. I love how they make it look better but in reality it is going to cost you more.

Agreed 100%, I'm actually a little leery of selling on ebay now... I've been screwed over a couple of times as well, and these new changes just make me want to stay away even more. As a seller, that is. [quote name='gargus']Ebay has been screwing sellers the past couple years with shit like this.

First it was you as a seller cant leave negative feedback no matter what, only buyers can leave negative feedback. So as a seller if I get screwed I can leave them a negative feedback or nothing. Well I can email ebay to report a problem but everytime I do I get a automated knee jerk response that was obviously already written up and just auto responded with someones name at the top telling me to contact the buyer if I havent already. And now this.

I sold a stethoscope that is ampliphied on ebay last year and I said in the auction the amplihication doesnt work and will need a special battery. So it sold and the guy threw a fit when he got it saying it didnt work, so he filed a claim with ebay and left me a negative feedback. So ebay refunded his money to him before he sent the item back to me. When I finally got it back the box was all beatup cause he just wrapped it in paper cause the stethoscopes box isnt meant for shipping and I got a negative feedback and a bunch of my time wasted because jackhole didnt read my auction before he bid. I had over 1300 positives and 100% rating, this guy had 7 feedbacks and still screwed me without recourse. I explained via chat, phone and the resolution service ebay opened when he filed a claim that I plainly stated in my auction it didnt work without getting a specific battery from the manufacturer and so on but no one actually ever responded to me, I just get a email saying "We refunded the buyer and this case has been closed. Thank you for using ebay".

Had another guy last month win an auction that lived in spain and despite my auction saying in 2 places I dont ship outside the usa he bid anyway and never paid, never emailed me or anything. So I had to file a claim and wait like 7 days before I got my listing fee refunded and since he was the only bidder I have to relist it allover again as I cant 2nd chance offer it. Guy wasted 2 weeks of my time for nothing. Guy has 0 feedback, been registered for over a year and is still active on there probablly wasting other peoples time.

They protect buyers to much now, there is no balance. The buyer has the power to leave negatives, not pay and cause problems with no real consequences. A seller can dick around a dozen buyers and make for a very bad experince and because they cant be left negative feedbacks or comments left no one would know, its not exactly fair. I know buyers are important but the sellers are equally important, without one you dont have the other.

So their terrible policies for sellers and all the god damn fees now I rarely use ebay to sell anything anymore unless Im going to make a decent chunk of change. Ive given stuff away rather than sell it on ebay because I dont want to take the risk of getting screwed over again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wklump']I agree w/ gargus, sellers are getting screwed over on Ebay now. Buyers that do not pay can still leave you a negative and then the seller has to contact eBay support to get that removed. What a waste of time that is.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this - I just had a non-paying bidder leave me a negative feedback and it was a giant pain in the ass to get the negative removed (which did finally happen). With their new fee structure it is becoming more and more clear that they no longer want eBay to be a flea market of sorts and only want to cater to high volume sellers - you know, actual businesses. It is becoming more difficult to make a few extra dollars here and there for regular people.

[quote name='gargus']Ebay has been screwing sellers the past couple years with shit like this.
Had another guy last month win an auction that lived in spain and despite my auction saying in 2 places I dont ship outside the usa he bid anyway and never paid, never emailed me or anything. So I had to file a claim and wait like 7 days before I got my listing fee refunded and since he was the only bidder I have to relist it allover again as I cant 2nd chance offer it. Guy wasted 2 weeks of my time for nothing. Guy has 0 feedback, been registered for over a year and is still active on there probablly wasting other peoples time.[/QUOTE]
Why not block international bidders? That would solve that problem.

The only thing I'll sell on ebay nowadays is DLC codes that net me at least $10, as I do not need to pay for shipping and most of the time I get the code/s for free.

The way ebay caters to buyers that have earned absolutely no reputation at all is ludicrous. It seems they have the "screw the seller" thing down pat.

[quote name='exRounder']okay devil's advocate here:

everyone's gotta start at 0 feedback, right?[/QUOTE]

While we all start at 0, I am pretty sure none of us put up a shit ton of copies of new games to sell. Any reasonable person should see this listing, look at how many copies are available, and that big old 0 sitting in his feedback. I know if I see that, I would turn and run far, far away.

it's amazing how dumb people are to fall for this kind of stuff

i think what's worse is that people here will warn others about it, then they go ahead and "try" it anyway

When will we be done with these types of eBay scam posts? It was obvious from the start this that "deal" (as well as the ones posted before in the last month or so) was not legitimate.

[quote name='Rozz']When will we be done with these types of eBay scam posts? It was obvious from the start this that "deal" (as well as the ones posted before in the last month or so) was not legitimate.[/QUOTE]

Sorry just trying to point it out to fellow CAGs. You know you don't have to click the post right?

[quote name='wklump']Sorry just trying to point it out to fellow CAGs. You know you don't have to click the post right?[/QUOTE]

We have had many of these scam posts pop in the last month or two and they are all obviously not legit. No new seller that pops out of nowhere is going to have hundreds of copies of brand new games for half price right around release, and one other scammer in the past even had unreleased games for sale (and yet people on here still bought them and bitched when they found out they wouldn't get what they wanted).

[quote name='Rozz']We have had many of these scam posts pop in the last month or two and they are all obviously not legit. No new seller that pops out of nowhere is going to have hundreds of copies of brand new games for half price right around release, and one other scammer in the past even had unreleased games for sale (and yet people on here still bought them and bitched when they found out they wouldn't get what they wanted).[/QUOTE]
Exactly. People just need to use common sense when it comes to ebay.

[quote name='Rozz']We have had many of these scam posts pop in the last month or two and they are all obviously not legit. No new seller that pops out of nowhere is going to have hundreds of copies of brand new games for half price right around release, and one other scammer in the past even had unreleased games for sale (and yet people on here still bought them and bitched when they found out they wouldn't get what they wanted).[/QUOTE]

you're stating the obvious, yet people in this thread bit :lol:

[quote name='Sito']While we all start at 0, I am pretty sure none of us put up a shit ton of copies of new games to sell. Any reasonable person should see this listing, look at how many copies are available, and that big old 0 sitting in his feedback. I know if I see that, I would turn and run far, far away.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Hard to believe some "new, random" eBay user is going to suddenly just throw up a ton of copies of a game at such a low price. Hell, seeing this at a store for $30 would be a great deal, and the store is using it as a loss leader. What reason would an eBay user with no feedback have for selling the game so low? Either they don't actually intend on shipping anything out (been happening a lot lately), or the games are stolen.

[quote name='wklump']Sorry just trying to point it out to fellow CAGs. You know you don't have to click the post right?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that's a silly argument. It's one thing to say that when we're talking about, say, baseball on the off topic board. Someone shouldn't come in and say, "Hey, baseball sucks. Why are you talking about?" In this case, we're trying to look out for follow CAGs. People seriously need to stop posting this crap. They are scams. We've seen at least a dozen of them posted on CAG in the last couple of months. No one is going to sell you a two week old, highly-regarded game for $30, especially not some random eBay user with no history.

bread's done
Back