- - - - -

Humans gone in 30 years? Beginning of Mass extinction

#31 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

In the future we'll be telling our sons and daughters about the birds and... the other birds.

#32 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3440 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...gical_diversity

#33 nasum   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3480 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

sorry, I'm hungry

#34 powercreep   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   277 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

powercreep

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Whale, I'll bee damned.

True story about bees:
I had a hive infest a tree in my back yard. It got to the point where there were probably a hundred or so at a time flying in and out of the tree. I squirted lighter fluid in the hole, lit it on fire. Bees flew freaking everywhere and disappeared. I burned their hive. I patted myself on the back.

Went back outside the next day, the damn things were back. I tried flooding them with water, that didn't work; gasoline didn't work. I bought some of that expanding foam insulation stuff - they ate a hole through it. Eventually cold weather set in and they calmed down. So I took a butt load of broken sticks and filled the hole in the tree. They didn't appreciate that. They were literally flying out of the tree and falling dead and landing the snow because of the cold weather. I patted myself on the back.

Next spring rolled around and they were still there. I waited till a cool morning when there was no activity. I mixed up about 2 gallons of concrete and sealed the f'ers in the hole. I patted myself on the back.

Moral of the story? Don't pat yourself on the back if you still have concrete on your hand. You could hurt yourself.

#35 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Whale, I'll bee damned.

True story about bees:
I had a hive infest a tree in my back yard. It got to the point where there were probably a hundred or so at a time flying in and out of the tree. I squirted lighter fluid in the hole, lit it on fire. Bees flew freaking everywhere and disappeared. I burned their hive. I patted myself on the back.

Went back outside the next day, the damn things were back. I tried flooding them with water, that didn't work; gasoline didn't work. I bought some of that expanding foam insulation stuff - they ate a hole through it. Eventually cold weather set in and they calmed down. So I took a butt load of broken sticks and filled the hole in the tree. They didn't appreciate that. They were literally flying out of the tree and falling dead and landing the snow because of the cold weather. I patted myself on the back.

Next spring rolled around and they were still there. I waited till a cool morning when there was no activity. I mixed up about 2 gallons of concrete and sealed the f'ers in the hole. I patted myself on the back.

Moral of the story? Don't pat yourself on the back if you still have concrete on your hand. You could hurt yourself.

My dad and I did something similar once, actually. Had a huge fucking colony of wasps a couple years back in this dilapidated old shed in one of our pastures. So we waited until a day of ~-35C, headed out to the shed, and removed the outer wall.

So many pissed-off insects utterly incapable of attacking you. I mean, they're still alive and they're still trying to sting, but their wings just don't work; fall straight to the ground.

#36 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3440 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

Whale, I'll bee damned.

True story about bees:

lol

#37 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3440 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...iversityeconomy

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T3

Reaching the Tipping point

Edited by billyrox, 10 May 2010 - 11:36 PM.

#38 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3440 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...hugeresetbutton

#39 fatherofcaitlyn   Der Uber Hoarder CAGiversary!   7155 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

fatherofcaitlyn

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

That is distressing, but Steven Tyler is a judge on American Idol. Everything evens out.

#40 Fortune_P_Dawg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Fortune_P_Dawg

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

One of my best friends, a few years ago, insisted that bees were attracted to his dandruff. I can't vouch for the validity of his claim, however.

#41 gargus   Banned Banned   2231 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

30 years I have to wait for humans to be extinct? But I want them gone now.

#42 crunchb3rry   HODOR! CAGiversary!   5524 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

Why do you all have to joke around? This could bee serious.

#43 metaphysicalstyles   Boo this man. CAGiversary!   1588 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

metaphysicalstyles

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image

Something about killer beads?!

#44 Jek Porkins   The Big Man in Orange CAGiversary!   670 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Jek Porkins

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

Posted Image

Something about killer beads?!

BEES! (Gotta love Arrested Development!)

#45 Hell Monkey   Social Link MAX! CAGiversary!   2497 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Hell Monkey

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Robo-Bee! (small scale of course)

Posted Image

#46 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

Imma be imma be imma imma bee imma bee bee bee imma bee

#47 gargus   Banned Banned   2231 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

We wont be around for very long. I think humans are a evolutionary accident really, we arent fit for survival. The more we indulge in just pleasures of our own creation, the more apathetic we get, the more we depend on machines, the more we survive through medicine just makes us that much weaker and softer.

Hell even from a physical sense of the word were not meant to survive. We lack any real strength compared to another our size, were not as fast as a lot of animals our size or even smaller or larger, unless you live in very specific parts of the world our bodies arent meant for survival naked in the elements. True we can reason and build and such but we sacrifice in exchange our ability to truly survive. Our brains kept us from dying off but its our brains that hurt us also. Unless the whole world explodes when were dead monkeys will still swing in the trees, roaches will scuttle along and fish will swim in the ocean because they are designed to survive.

One day we will run out of resources and we wont be able to live on our own. If you took something like say gasoline out of the equation for 72 hours which is a relatively short period of time most countries would go apeshit and has is a fairly small thing in the grand scheme.

Humans dont survive, we dont fight, rarely use our instincts or anything else that has kept everyother species alive for millions of years.

So whether its nuclear war, a giant asteroid hitting earth, killer bees, lack of food, disease or whatever. Humans will not outlive the majority of animal life on this planet because were not designed to live very long.

#48 J7.   $$$$ It CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

They recently found what's been killing the bees. http://www.nytimes.c...ees.html?src=me

We wont be around for very long. I think humans are a evolutionary accident really, we arent fit for survival. The more we indulge in just pleasures of our own creation, the more apathetic we get, the more we depend on machines, the more we survive through medicine just makes us that much weaker and softer.

Hell even from a physical sense of the word were not meant to survive. We lack any real strength compared to another our size, were not as fast as a lot of animals our size or even smaller or larger, unless you live in very specific parts of the world our bodies arent meant for survival naked in the elements. True we can reason and build and such but we sacrifice in exchange our ability to truly survive. Our brains kept us from dying off but its our brains that hurt us also. Unless the whole world explodes when were dead monkeys will still swing in the trees, roaches will scuttle along and fish will swim in the ocean because they are designed to survive.

One day we will run out of resources and we wont be able to live on our own. If you took something like say gasoline out of the equation for 72 hours which is a relatively short period of time most countries would go apeshit and has is a fairly small thing in the grand scheme.

Humans dont survive, we dont fight, rarely use our instincts or anything else that has kept everyother species alive for millions of years.

So whether its nuclear war, a giant asteroid hitting earth, killer bees, lack of food, disease or whatever. Humans will not outlive the majority of animal life on this planet because were not designed to live very long.

Excellent points. On the flip side we could've died out without technology and medicine. Or reached points where most of humanity died and those with the best immune systems were left to repopulate. We need preservation of how we did things before technology though, we can't keep relying solely on technology.

Our brains hurt us also, but animals are hurt by not having enough intelligence. The thing is humans have the ability to one day find and even reach another livable planet. Animals do not. We've saved numerous species from extinction. We are not as biologically strong to survive things on Earth as some other creatures, but we also don't rely on mass producing and letting so many of our fellow creatures die off for all of us to survive.

It remains to be seen how far we can live without destroying ourselves. Maybe it's not 50/50 anymore, but it had to drop out of our favor for us to be motivated to increase our odds.

#49 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Humans are animals, god dammit.

#50 J7.   $$$$ It CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

Yes they are. I should have said "other species" or "other animals", but I didn't think individual words would be taken so literally given the context of what I was saying. My fault.

#51 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

I've a long-standing tradition of picking that nit, believe me.

#52 J7.   $$$$ It CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

I've a long-standing tradition of picking that nit, believe me.

Not sure what you are saying. Edit: Google search gives me some idea. I think I just failed with this comment. Edit 2: Ya I know what you mean. I can delete this but I'll leave it up so someone can read it and laugh or shake their head at me.

#53 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

You're completely marginalizing our intelligence vs. other animals. We are by far the most intelligent animal to ever walk the earth. We have modified and adapted the environment to fit our survival, no other animal does that nearly to the level we have.

The funny thing is many of the things you list as possible causes of our extinction are things that can and have wiped out other animals regardless of their strength, size, dependence on oil, etc. A giant asteroid would kill most of the animals on the planet, disease wipes out animal populations all the time, and if bees were to become extinct it would break down the entire food chain, not just the food chain for humans.

Sure things would breakdown quickly if petroleum, as our main source of energy, was to disappear overnight BUT there are many populations of humans that don't depend on oil or petroleum at all.

So, enjoy your cynicism toward humans but we don't have to spend every day of our lives worrying about a stronger/bigger predator eating us for breakfast like most other animals on this planet do and that alone makes us the most powerful animal on the planet.

#54 Mospeada_21   Zombie Hunter \\*// CAGiversary!   2421 Posts   Joined 18.3 Years Ago  

Mospeada_21

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

We'll discover imulsion in the next 25 years, then everything will be fine.

#55 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3440 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:05 AM

Tigers Extinct in 12

http://news.yahoo.co...a_saving_tigers

Guest_strongpimphand_*

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:14 AM

....so 2012 is a lie!

#57 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3440 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

Methane could be the tipping point for exponentially increasing temperature

http://news.yahoo.co...berian_meltdown

#58 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3440 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

Massive Bird and Fish dyoff in Arkansas?

http://news.yahoo.co...cratching-heads

#59 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:42 AM

The human race is so genious, yet we don't know why these things are happening...nonetheless, if we are as a human race are not causing it somehow I have to think everything will work out. Not saying its guaranteed it will, but humans have been around for quite a while and we have absorbed many different changes in many different ways. If birds and fish are dying off like mad, maybe the bird/fish population is balancing out naturally from being too high...? Doesn't nature usually tend to work these things out.

#60 nasum   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3480 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

that bird and fish thing kind of scares the crap out of me to be honest.