Why aren't flippers hated as much as El Hoardo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I mean they do the same thing flippers do, buy a game with no intention of playing only to make a profit of the game.

Flipper: I bough x copies of a game and made $30 in GS credit.
CAG (in general): *not caring/"Might try this later..."*

El Hoardo: I bought x copies of a game and sold them for $30
CAG (in general): fuckING EL HOARDO, DIE IN A FIRE!

I see post saying they're flipping the games at BBV to GS and nobody comments on it like they would if he said "I bought x copies". While flippers wouldn't necessarily buy multiple copies, why wouldn't they if they could make a profit?

Point of topic: I don't know, just my thoughts.

lol, Good question. It's mainly a bunch of butt hurt slow people who need the advice of others before ''pulling the trigger'' and in return they usually not get an item they desire because of ''el horado'' ''pulling the trigger'' before them.

[quote name='GUNNM']lol, Good question. It's mainly a bunch of butt hurt slow people who need the advice of others before ''pulling the trigger'' and in return they usually not get an item they desire because of ''el horado'' ''pulling the trigger'' before them.[/QUOTE]I don't disagree, but there is something assanine about going to a store that's running a great deal and cleaning them out before anyone else can get in on it. I remember during one of CC's clearout sales seeing someone with 15+ copies of one game.

I think it comes down to perception- flippers may or may not clean a store out of every copy of something on sale, but a hoarder (almost by definition) absolutely will every single time.

I don't get why people are butt hurt (like GUNNM said) about this.. They need to grow the fuck up. The deal didn't die because someone bought 3 copies, it died because it's sold out. Cry & flame more because you're too slow!

[quote name='Danimal']I don't disagree, but there is something assanine about going to a store that's running a great deal and cleaning them out before anyone else can get in on it. I remember during one of CC's clearout sales seeing someone with 15+ copies of one game.

I think it comes down to perception- flippers may or may not clean a store out of every copy of something on sale, but a hoarder (almost by definition) absolutely will every single time.[/QUOTE]

That's their choice. You should have gotten there earlier.

[quote name='Alex2290']That's their choice. You should have gotten there earlier.[/QUOTE]

Understandable...if the deal had been going on at least maybe 3+ days, since by then others would have a chance to go.(because people have work and possible family) Hell, some people would even say if you're not their by Day 2 everything is fair game. (lol strawman, but seriously that's how I figure some CAG's think)

But if a el hoardo gets there at store opening and grabs everything, can't really get there earlier can you?

Already see the future. "Then you didn't want the deal bad enough"

Yes. Yes that person probably did to get their within day 1, but they had work.

In my area I now have to take a lunch just to get to two Targets in time to look for clearances. I only get one (or more if I need one for each kid i.e. DS games) but at the least have to get there before El Hoardo gets there. I think if anything it's the El Hoardo that goes in the moment they open to clear them out that really drives people bonkers.

[quote name='perdition(troy']flippers usually buy shatty games that have randomly high trade in values.[/QUOTE]

The Beatles: Rock Band is not a shatty game

Next argument.

EDIT: Just noticed you said "usually", but I find it's mostly decent to okay games usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
A flipper IS a hoarder if they clear out the entire inventory.

Regardless of the name, if they have the means to do it and make a profit, why not?

[quote name='antlp89']A flipper IS a hoarder if they clear out the entire inventory.

Regardless of the name, if they have the means to do it and make a profit, why not?[/QUOTE]

Ya, but the attitude is different on CAG if somebody says "I flipped some of these" then if somebody says "I bough X copies", even though it's saying the same thing. Like people in general have some obsession with with knowing what they plan to do with those copies they bought. I don't know. I'm at work and there is nothing to do at the moment, so I'm just thinking out loud(on my keyboard lol) here.

I just find it odd.

I also noticed that usually buying 4+ copies makes you el hoardo. Which I agree with, just notice it while browsing threads.

hoarders benefit from a universal market, be it Ebay or Craigs...

while...

flippers benefit from joined markets, like GS to HWV or BB, between the two.

Hoarders are hated because their market is much larger, much easier, vs the flipper, they actually need some planning, some work, and generally screw companies only that we already hate, like GS.

To me they are both the same, since they deny me the option of ever getting the "game", but at least for the flipper, they are tied to certain credit anyways so their damage may not be that painful... plus with titles available to the used markets, it'll be better for the slower ones to get deals later from them, like GS or BB or HWV/GC. Hoarders take that game and sell it permanently removing the "game" from market.

in theory their the same... and the concept of finding a good deal atleast for me is just words, but i dont see much of a difference...

i think the MAIN difference that is assumed, that the person has some level of morality. I could buy x2 copies of demons souls at target, and people will think since im fliping there might be others (atleast how i see it) but on the other hand i know a person whom was a fliper and he went around the state during the fairy tale fights error at bestbuy, bought 39 copies total, and made like 430 usd... wouldnt even sell me a copy for less than 10 usd =\

people like that though... are the worst -..-

Oh look, another one of these threads.

What about the CAG who picks up more than a few copies and sells them to CAGs for cost + tax + shipping? It's a hoarder by the definitions used in here, so they're to be despised, though if they turn around and make them available to CAGs, it's OK?

If the definition of a hoarder is anyone who picks up multiple copies of an item, then I'm in that category, though I've done that dozens of times in the past for other CAGs when they can't find the items on their own. Always for cost + tax + shipping + maybe $1 or $2 for my time, if that.

This whole topic is one that will get people complaining, no matter what, from both sides.

[quote name='Alex2290']I don't get why people are butt hurt (like GUNNM said) about this.. They need to grow the fuck up. The deal didn't die because someone bought 3 copies, it died because it's sold out. Cry & flame more because you're too slow![/QUOTE]Not everyone can run out on the drop of a hat and go hit a retail store or stores to take advantage of a deal. That's always an excuse when people who pick up multiple copies of an item use to defend their actions for self-gain and profit.

I think someone's more than a little sensitive on this topic, especially when they say "They need to grow the fuck up.". :whistle2:s I guess it hits a little close to home.

You got to include Soccer Mom's somewhere in that group...they are not considered hoarders or flippers, because they are too stupid to realize that the cheap game they are buying is really crappy.

I've seen more soccer mom's in my area than El Hoardo's.

Neither flippers or hoarders bother me much. I get plenty of great games (my backlog is scary) through deals I find here at CAG. But to me there is no difference between flippers and hoarders. They're both pretty extreme. So I too, don't understand the hate for one and the "praise" for the other.

Maybe it's just me, but I consider a flipper to be someone who is interested in an immediate return... while a hoarder is just buying it all because it's cheap and is looking at a long-term investment (with the mentality "If I hang on to it long enough, it'll be worth more later").

Like someone above said, the flipper has the best chance of an immediate return by putting the game back into the market via GS and trade channels. This puts the game back into gamers hands in a reasonably fast time and sometimes the final consumer who ends up with the game comes out with a pretty good deal.

However, I've seen hoarders literally rake complete shelves into their buggy -- like when Media Play had their 3DO and Jaguar closeout. Those games probably stayed in storage and are just being put on eBay as we speak. A quick search on eBay of sealed 3DO titles and I see them averaging $20-25 a piece. If I remember correctly, Media Play was selling them for $3-4 a piece.

[quote name='shrike4242']

I think someone's more than a little sensitive on this topic, especially when they say "They need to grow the fuck up.". :whistle2:s I guess it hits a little close to home.[/QUOTE]

Not at all buddy. I've never bought more copies of a game on sale than I wanted (ie, one). I just find it extremely annoying when someone says for example "thanks I got two" and they get flamed out the ass about it.

[quote name='LordFlux']
However, I've seen hoarders literally rake complete shelves into their buggy -- like when Media Play had their 3DO and Jaguar closeout. Those games probably stayed in storage and are just being put on eBay as we speak. A quick search on eBay of sealed 3DO titles and I see them averaging $20-25 a piece. If I remember correctly, Media Play was selling them for $3-4 a piece.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty crappy return if you ask me. These guys had to store those games all these years hoping to make some kind of profit. So they're getting what they deserve.

But honestly, I bet Media Play was glad that hoarders bought up their stock of 3DO and Jaguar games. Nobody else wanted them at the time. :lol:

To me a flipper is someone who buys one or two copies of a game to make a profit. A Hoarder is someone who buys ALL copies of a game to make a profit. One is in it only for self gratification and greed, and the other is in it to make a little, but will not screw out people who may actually be able to use the item by buying all of them.

Hoardo is the guy who sells games 2x over market through a storefront when you'd sell the same game for $12 or $13.

I don't like either of them. I hate flippers who brag like what they did was completely amazing and unheard of. Like I'm completely impressed that you spent an hour buying and reselling a game for a profit of $5 in store credit and it took you $6 in gas to do it.

I remember when I bought 2 copies of Too Human at Virgin Megastore in union square for $6 each, and the guy at the register said, "You know we have like 200 of those, right? Are you sure you don't want some more?"

who can hate flipper?

elleand%20flipper.jpg

[quote name='dmdragon']To me a flipper is someone who buys one or two copies of a game to make a profit. A Hoarder is someone who buys ALL copies of a game to make a profit. One is in it only for self gratification and greed, and the other is in it to make a little, but will not screw out people who may actually be able to use the item by buying all of them.[/QUOTE]

nope, flippers take all they can get too...read any flip thread. Taking the last copy to flip or the last copy to sell = same result to the next guy who wants a copy. Or taking 5 copies and leaving one = the second person who wants one doesn't get a copy either. There are no two ways about it...

embrace your inner douche and suck it up. :lol:

From my understanding: a hoarder is always a flipper, but a flipper is not always a hoarder. A flipper is someone who buys a game for the purpose of reselling, but a hoarder is a flipper who always buys up every single copy on the shelf, whether its two or twenty.

I have no idea if my local Target even had any copies of L4D to clearance in the first place, but I would've loved to have gotten a copy for $10ish, because I didn't own the game yet. If there were only two copies that were on clearance, and someone decided to buy both, one to keep and one to flip in order to make the deal practically a "free game," that wouldn't bother me...thems the ropes, two copies disappear fast regardless. But if there were ten, and El Hoardo who has figured out what day to check for clearanced items every week went in that day and bought up all ten...that dude's a prick, frankly.

They're all scum, no if's or but's. Clearly some people are unable to get to the store as a first priority so why should some lowlife with no job be able to go in and buy everything? Some people may want those games for themselves and it's idiotic and unfair for those welfare-collecting types to deny other customers.

At least limit yourself to two copies or give them a day or two. Then anything goes.

theres buddies, hoarders and flippers

buddies buy a few for either a friend and themself or just the friends. they are ok to me.

flippers usually only buy a few and leave some for others while getting what they want out of it.

hoarders can eat a dick. pawn shop owners and flea market tables are the scum of sales. had a flea market guy in bestbuy during the $10 game sale and he had a list of all of the games on sale just like us and was buying EVERY copy of the games. the only way to get to them was to gang up and block him. the same guy is at every sale. pissed me off last time when he snatched a game out of a kids (couldnt have been more than 12) hand, between a few people and his dad we took his entire cart away from him.

i have no problem with people taking multiples as long as they arent taking every copy of a title, which if theres only 3 or 4 of each i dont care if they take them all because seriously 1st come 1st serve but if they take all 20 copies thats different especially if its on multiple titles

[quote name='wesdw369']pissed me off last time when he snatched a game out of a kids (couldnt have been more than 12) hand, between a few people and his dad we took his entire cart away from him.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

I don't like anyone that buys a clearance, or limited quantity 'low price' game and does not actually PLAY IT. I only don't mind multiple buys of a single game if the person intends to disperse them to other people who are going to PLAY the game at no or minor-profit (cost of gas, shipping, tax).

IDK, but I consider them different, because usually flippers sell to places like GS, HWV, or BBV, who sell used games, with the intention of using their credit to get other, newer or more expensive games for a price that they consider to be reasonable. The hoarder, however, sells to the masses for profit, and usually doesn't use the money for games. Like I said, IDK, but that's how I see it!

I don't really dig on either; I rarely "flip" games because it's not worth the effort, and if I do, it's one copy.

But people going to 4 separate Best Buys to get 3 copies of Fairy Tale Fights at each store are cocks, period. One store is enough, and you should be happy to get one copy, let alone three.

BTW, anyone still have a 360 copy; I'll give you $8 to cover shipping plus a lil extra, lol

Not particularly a fan of either creature. You want to buy a few copies for you and your friends, knock yourself out. You want to make enough of a profit that you basically got your copy of that item for free, that's cool too. It's the people who buy everything in sight that annoy me - sure it's your right to do so, but it still makes you a dick.

Look at it like this - you came to CAG, a site dedicated to people getting the games they want for a low price, took the information you found here, ran off to a store and bought every single copy of a game you could find... and then came back to this very site to tell everyone that you just screwed over any fellow CAGs nearby. Then you wonder why people bitch at you?

You want to buy it all, go right ahead, like I said, it's your right - but coming back and rubbing it in the faces of the people who might not have been able to get there right away is a dick move - and even if you didn't wipe out their local store, someone just like you did - and since you're bragging, you're gonna get the heat.

Just my 25 cents.

Random hoarder of CAG you have great greed in you. you want it all. you want everything. you seem hungry. you want a hamburger. why not 2? you want gears of war 3, why not buy all the copies? then only you can play online by yourself and always win. it can all be yours.

hoarder "S'MINE!"

I flipped Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball. I don't think anyone here wanted to play that anyway. :)

And back when my Target had GOOD GAMES on clearance, I would buy them up and trade with CAGers here if they requested those titles. That's not a bad thing, right?

Hoarders suck because they buy all the games. Most people don't hate flippers because I'm sure alot of us do it. I do it whenever I get the chance. If I'm looking for a deal but only see a deal on something I don't want but can make $10 off, I'll pick it up to make the trip worth my time. I'm not going to buy 10 copies tho and try to sell them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back