PSP2 is going to be "Effing Powerful" [The PSP2 Thread]

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
HERE'S some info:
PSP2 has two cameras, one forward and one backward facing.
It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark physical PlayStation buttons.
UK sources were previously working towards a “2010″ release. This is now “2011″.
One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media involved. We’ve been told it “could” be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the WiFi-only PSP go. This bit was sketchy.
One source told us the machine is “fucking powerful,” being based on a four-core Cell CPU. PS3 runs on an eight-core version.
I'm not sure how I feel about this... is a touch screen really necessary? I'll probably get it eventually though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hadn't heard of that site before, so I wonder how much I should believe it. I really didn't like the prediction of it not having physical media. It having some kind of mini cell processor sounds kind of cool.

same article on a different site said something like "powerful enough to run some PS2 games" ... and I was like huh?

because a shortened down PS3 processor is going to do it???? if so, why isn't the PS3 doing it?

I think this is a horrid rumor mill spouting crap.

I was believing it until they mentioned a 4 Cell processor... it'd be cool if they used the cell in a PSP.. but I'm assuming that the developers would start to have problems developing games all over again.

I love this article in that people are taking each piece of information like it's all from the same source and not various sources and sites that may or may not be talking about the same device or telling the truth. PSP Go rumors were very different from each other at first before the big leak just before E3.

This article is pretty much useless in offering any kind of idea about what the device is all about until any one source goes into actual detail.

Not really looking forward to a $300-$400 iPhone competitor, not to mention that the amount of plausibility info in this story strikes me as false. The story reads like a 12 year old Sony fanboy just went down a checklist of "C00l Sh1T" and missed checking the "Gold plated rims and spinners" box.

As much as I love the PSP (probably my favorite game system ever since the 2600, or at least the one I own the most games for), I just don't think a PSP2 makes much sense for Sony.

They've lost so much money with the PS3, can they launch new hardware?

And is there a market for it? Console type games on a portable? The massive success of the DS and iPhone compared to the basically non-existent sales of PSP software seems to show there isn't much of one. (People bought PSPs, or they did before this year, but just what they did with them is a mystery. See that recent thread about a guy who has had a PSP for years but never played games on it)

I can see something maybe like a PSP-phone. Maybe somehow it's an Android phone that can also boot up PSP games. I doubt that would be a big success, but probably wouldn't be the likely money hole a PSP2 would.

[quote name='DiscoJer'](People bought PSPs, or they did before this year, but just what they did with them is a mystery. See that recent thread about a guy who has had a PSP for years but never played games on it)[/QUOTE]

I think people played games on it - they just didn't pay for them. The PSP has to be the easiest system in the history of the world to play pirated games on. I love my PSP but I mostly use it to play NES, SNES and GBC games. I think I've played through Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons 3 times each on my PSP now...

Most the PSPs out there are probably collecting dust at this point, so the pool of active PSPs has to be much smaller than the other systems in North America.

Sony hasn't done much in the past year to really get people excited about the system besides renewing developer interest, as a price drop is sorely needed since it's been over three years since they last dropped the price. I'm hoping they drop it to maybe $129.99 since the 3000 has been in production for long enough that it has to be very cheap to produce by now.

Never heard of PSP2 til now. Sounds good though, you have a link? I love psp!
o.gif

They need to keep this simple; it's a portable gaming device. Leave it at that. We don't need a phone, though I do like the idea of a touch screen. Just make it look good and easy to use.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it's been proven that power doesn't mean anything!
so who cares if it's powerful or not!?[/QUOTE]

People who hate the DS's crappy 3d graphics.

I am scared to see what the price is. I really am. Also is better have UMD compatibility or make the PSP 3000 $99.99.

PLEASE SONY, DO NOT fuck THIS UP.

[quote name='FroMann']PLEASE SONY, DO NOT fuck THIS UP.[/QUOTE]

What, exactly, in Sony's history would make you think they won't screw this up? We know nothing about it but I can already guarantee that it will be overpriced, overpowered and use a media that everyone hates (especially if it is DL only).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Most the PSPs out there are probably collecting dust at this point, so the pool of active PSPs has to be much smaller than the other systems in North America.

Sony hasn't done much in the past year to really get people excited about the system besides renewing developer interest, as a price drop is sorely needed since it's been over three years since they last dropped the price. I'm hoping they drop it to maybe $129.99 since the 3000 has been in production for long enough that it has to be very cheap to produce by now.[/QUOTE]

i will admit mine is mostly doing nothing but collecting dust...I remember my old Star wars psp went out (had a 2 year warrenty at best buy to replace it)

They gave them the option to do 2 things

take a gift card or Get another psp....

i just got adventures to go and though it would be a wicked game so i picked the new PSP ....

sadly i probally played my PSP 3 times since then compair to about 200+ times picking up the Ds

Well I won't pick this up until it's time is almost over if it is DD only.

[quote name='Thomas96']I was believing it until they mentioned a 4 Cell processor... it'd be cool if they used the cell in a PSP.. but I'm assuming that the developers would start to have problems developing games all over again.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Developers already have knowledge of how to program for 7 cores now, why would they start having difficulty with 4 cores a year from now. It was a technological hurdle that has been crossed.

[quote name='DiscoJer']As much as I love the PSP (probably my favorite game system ever since the 2600, or at least the one I own the most games for), I just don't think a PSP2 makes much sense for Sony.

They've lost so much money with the PS3, can they launch new hardware?

And is there a market for it? Console type games on a portable? The massive success of the DS and iPhone compared to the basically non-existent sales of PSP software seems to show there isn't much of one. (People bought PSPs, or they did before this year, but just what they did with them is a mystery. See that recent thread about a guy who has had a PSP for years but never played games on it)

I can see something maybe like a PSP-phone. Maybe somehow it's an Android phone that can also boot up PSP games. I doubt that would be a big success, but probably wouldn't be the likely money hole a PSP2 would.[/QUOTE]PSP is the number one selling console in Japan right now, week after week (unless you combine all the various DS models, even then it's pretty close). I'm convinced that's the only reason they still acknowledge it, because nobody buys PSP games. Well, I do, but none of my friends have PSPs that they still use, which is a shame considering the great games that came out last year.

The PSP2 needs 2 analog nubs/sticks and some fucking support this time around. Also, as far as physical media goes, don't try to come up with some new shit. I have a feeling that it will be a DD only platform though.

[quote name='TimPV3']PSP is the number one selling console in Japan right now, week after week (unless you combine all the various DS models, even then it's pretty close). I'm convinced that's the only reason they still acknowledge it, because nobody buys PSP games. Well, I do, but none of my friends have PSPs that they still use, which is a shame considering the great games that came out last year.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. But that's actually another reason a PSP2 doesn't make sense for Sony right now.

The PSP is big in Japan for a number of reasons, but probably the main one is Monster Hunter Portable. And with MHP3 for the PSP due out in Japan later this year, a PSP2 would pretty much be still born in Japan, since everyone would be still playing MHP3 on the orignal PSP.

you know the psp is selling now because people stopped buying DS hardware because they are waiting for the new hardware. 3D DS.... I wouldn't be getting all happy about some sales right now. PSP2 needs to be released, and it needs to have two analog sticks, and basically be a dual shock 2 with a screen.

[quote name='Thomas96']you know the psp is selling now because people stopped buying DS hardware because they are waiting for the new hardware. 3D DS.... I wouldn't be getting all happy about some sales right now. PSP2 needs to be released, and it needs to have two analog sticks, and basically be a dual shock 2 with a screen.[/QUOTE]

I think PSP was selling very well in Japan even before DS sales went down because of 3DS. PSP seems to do very well there and beat out everything when a big title releases.
ps2p.jpg

I would like to see a psp2 soon. I would think that the umd drive would just upgrade to bluray-umd allowing for bigger games. DD hasn't proven to be effective imo. They should bundle games together on discs like GOW. Perhaps ps1 games since psn store is very selective of classic titles most which = crap.

PSP2, for me, has to have two things. Two analog sticks and trophy support. Also would be nice to have a psp friends list or the same friends list as PS3. It basically needs to be a portable PS2 with the same PSN of a PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DiscoJer']The PSP is big in Japan for a number of reasons, but probably the main one is Monster Hunter Portable. And with MHP3 for the PSP due out in Japan later this year, a PSP2 would pretty much be still born in Japan, since everyone would be still playing MHP3 on the orignal PSP.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the PSP2 will be backwards compatible - then this won't be an issue.

Sony's going to drop UMDs as quickly as possible. I doubt the next PSP will have a UMD drive since that would require it to be another large device, even though I didn't have problems with the 1000's size.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sony's going to drop UMDs as quickly as possible. I doubt the next PSP will have a UMD drive since that would require it to be another large device, even though I didn't have problems with the 1000's size.[/QUOTE]

Haha - oops. I forgot about UMDs... I was talking more along the lines of the DLC stuff being playable on the PSP2. I haven't played off of a UMD in ages...

That I would be surprised if they don't let those games transfer over since it would basically crap on the improvements they've made in making it easier to buy digital games for the PSP over the past two years.

Bluray UMD would be sweet. UMD's are 5 times less data than a DVD, so Bluray UMD would be able to hold 5 gb or 10 gb dual layer. They should call it Bluray Mini. And they should make some PSP Collections where you could buy a PSP 2 game that contains a collection of classic PSP games, even if it's BC. If they can get at least 2 gb on a cartridge I would prefer that the most though.

Considering the size of todays' portable devices, Sony needs to make sure the PSP2 is smaller than the current PSP. Basically the size of the current screen (perhaps a bit bigger) but that's it.

[quote name='Kilvas09']Bluray umd is probally impossible right now.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it would be.

[quote name='SynGamer']Considering the size of todays' portable devices, Sony needs to make sure the PSP2 is smaller than the current PSP. Basically the size of the current screen (perhaps a bit bigger) but that's it.[/QUOTE]

With Ipad and DSI XL? Give me big screen over portability!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would Sony use another slow-loading, disc-based format?[/QUOTE]

Memory size. Will they really go DD only with the failure of the Go? Can they make/get 3gb+ size cartridges at a cheap enough price?

Why are the thumb nubs up top above the D-pad and ze buttons? That seems impractical to me. Unless they start creating games solely for the PSP2, which would be rather lame if they did, I don't see myself getting one; I'd rather pick up a PSP3000 for my gaming pleasure. The most they would probably do is what Nintendo said they would do with the DSi; It would come out on the DS as well, but with not as many bells and whistles.

It sounds to me like Sony is just trying to compete with Nintendo in their own crusade of infinite expansions of the same hand held system. Chances are they may make games exclusively for the PSP2 that will play with the touch screen if it isn't meant just to be a menu touch screen. Possibly some more along the lines with PS2 quality. For higher quality though they'd also have to up the size of the UMD which would mean a bigger UMD port for the games, and who knows how they'd remedy any backwards compatibility then.

All we can for now do is theorize and wait.

just a fyi, 3 of those 4 cell processors most likely would be used to combat Piracy so you won't see much on the performance side.

[quote name='J7.']Memory size. Will they really go DD only with the failure of the Go? Can they make/get 3gb+ size cartridges at a cheap enough price?[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest problem with the Go is that Sony did not provide a way for consumers to trade their UMDs for downloads and expected their fan base to repurchase games they already bought. If they allowed a way to transfer their game libraries, I think it would have had more success. I mean, this isn't even a next gen system not allowing the previous games to play on it. It's the same freakin generation and they messed up big time with that process. They also, in typical Sony fashion, did not market it well out of the gate.

I know some people are very much opposed to digital download only, but I don't think it is the majority. At this point, Sony seems very committed to the continued growth of the PSN, which is why I can still see them going DD with the next PSP. Sony always fancied itself in a competition other than Nintendo for the handheld market, and also sees itself in competition with Apple's products and cell phones. All of those markets are able to thrive on DDs and I believe Sony wants their handheld to be able to as well.

The Go was them dipping their toe in the water before just outright jumping in with the PSP2. Whether it was successful or not wasn't as important as them getting some experience with it first.

[quote name='J7.']Memory size. Will they really go DD only with the failure of the Go? Can they make/get 3gb+ size cartridges at a cheap enough price?[/QUOTE]
Sony makes their own memory sticks, so they could easily make a proprietary version for games.

They know that everybody hated UMDs and they aren't about to just return to that style of format that has several negatives and little to no positives.

When it comes to the PSPgo, while there are no used game sales Gamestop will be having kiosks soon with a way for people to buy digitally downloaded games. If you get one in Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Kmart, and so on then we might be able to have a digital society with at least some competition to bring prices down.

[quote name='WormFOODx']When it comes to the PSPgo, while there are no used game sales Gamestop will be having kiosks soon with a way for people to buy digitally downloaded games. If you get one in Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Kmart, and so on then we might be able to have a digital society with at least some competition to bring prices down.[/QUOTE]
They Kind of have that with Amazon right now with there download vouchers. It could end up being that retailers start selling DL codes and drop the prices so that they become more attractive to buy while losing a portion of there profit. Gamestop would be Retail prices only but Best buy, TRU, Amazon and Target would definately look to do that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sony makes their own memory sticks, so they could easily make a proprietary version for games.

They know that everybody hated UMDs and they aren't about to just return to that style of format that has several negatives and little to no positives.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but memory sticks cost more to make than discs. People's hate of UMD's was mostly on the movie side. UMD's have the positives of cheap production and very high capacity. If it comes to a decision between memory sticks and larger capacity UMD I think Sony will pick the one that costs the cheapest to manufacture since UMD's are not going to prevent people from buying games. They also know that UMD's are easier to break than memory sticks, making repurchases needed sometimes.

I hope for cartridge but I see them doing DD or UMD in that order. Maybe more reasons for them waiting are for higher capacity hdd at lower price or for Bluray costs to go down so they could include that, in addition to the other reasons they have for waiting like PSP's popularity in Japan.

bread's done
Back