Nintendo E3 2010 Press Conference - 3DS, Kid Icarus, Zelda, DKC, Kirby!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
[size=+3]E3 2010: June 14-17[/size]

[size=+2]Nintendo's E3 Site[/size]

[size=+1]NINTENDO PRESS KIT - Open to the public
http://press.nintendo.com/E32010/
Login: guest
Password: nintendo[/size]

Thanks eugaet!

The major press events are listed below, for reference:
  • Microsoft Press Conference - Monday, June 14th 10:30am PDT [*]Nintendo Press Conference - Tuesday, June 15th, 9:00am PDT (6am HST, 8am AKDT, 10am MDT, 11am CDT, 12PM EDT)
  • Sony Press Conference - Tuesday, June 15th 12:00pm PDT
EA - Monday, June 14th 2:00pm PDT
Ubisoft - Monday, June 14th 5:00pm PDT
Activision - Monday, June 14th 9:00pm PDT
Konami - Wednesday, June 16th 1:00pm PDT
Natal/Cirque du Soleil - Performed Sunday. Airing Tuesday June 15th, 3:30pm PDT on MTV, 9:00pm PDT on Nick@Nite; 4:00pm PDT at GameTrailers.

In less than one week, the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2010 will commence. From what has been rumored/revealed so far, this is shaping up to be a major event for all platforms, with potential new hardware announcements, more information on big-name titles, the unveiling of new titles, and expanded coverage on things that were announced at previous media functions.

As it stands now, the schedule for the platform trio is similar to last year's E3, with Microsoft doing their conference on Monday, and Nintendo and Sony holding their conferences on Tuesday. However, there is a notable difference in Nintendo's case, as this year, their press conference will be twice as long, two hours, compared to one hour at the previous shows. The extension isn't too surprising, since they plan to unveil the Nintendo 3DS at the show, and some major titles, like the new Zelda Wii game, should make an appearance.

-------------------------------------------------------------

[size=+2]Pertinent information[/size]

Major sites to find live video streams of the press conferences:
IGN's E3 Site
Youtube E3 channel
* This year, IGN has partnered with Youtube to provide the live streaming videos of the conferences. Youtube's servers are pretty strong, so this might be a good feed during the busy times.

GameTrailers/SpikeTV
* Last year's impressions: The first feed I watched was choppy, probably due to high traffic at the time. Strangely enough, it was the exact opposite for the UbiSoft conference. GameSpot's feed was choppy, and GameTrailer's feed was high-quality and silky smooth. My verdict for GameTrailers: When it works, it works beautifully.
* It has been announced that SpikeTV will have live TV coverage of Microsoft's Press Conference, exclusive TV broadcasting rights via a deal struck between Microsoft and MTV Networks. SpikeTV will not be covering any of the other conferences, so catch the Microsoft one online or on SpikeTV, and catch the rest online or on G4tv.
* Due to this deal, GameTrailers may be under pressure to better handle the increased server load this year, so their stream might be smooth during the busy times.
* It has also been announced that those with iPhones can watch the live streams on GT, an option if you are away from a computer.

GameSpot's E3 site
* Last year's impressions: Gamespot had poor video quality and so-so sound volume, but it's a reliable live feed.

G4tv (Online and TV)
* Last year's impressions: I watched the TV feed for the Microsoft presser, and as promised, it was commercial-free (Though the Microsoft feed will be online-only this year, due to the MS/MTVN TV deal). A good choice if you catch G4. Haven't tried the online feed, though it will be hosted on uStream this year (uStream app available for iPhone and Android).

1UP's E3 site
* Like G4, 1UP will be hosting their live videos on uStream this year.

Nintendo official E3 site
* This year, Nintendo will be streaming live video of their press conference at the e3.nintendo.com website. There's nothing up at the site right now, but they should add stuff as the conference gets closer.

Konami's E3 site
* Apparently, this will be the only place to catch a live feed of Konami's conference, and registration is required to do so.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Maniac Section
Now, like last year's thread, it's time for the section o' speculation, where I gather items that have either been confirmed, rumored, or just things that I think will appear.

First up, from the lab of Dr. Fred (Things that have been confirmed, or are incredibly likely, to appear):
  • Nintendo 3DS - Nintendo has already confirmed that they will be unveiling this at the show, and with the longer duration, this conference will presumably answer many of our burning questions. What tech will be powering it? What will it look like? How will the 3D effect be performed? What are the control options? What games will be made for it? What are the other features besides 3D?
  • New Wii Zelda - Miyamoto said last year that this untitled Zelda game would be revealed at this year's conference, and judging from a recent German interview, that announcement seems to be on track. Last year, all he gave us was a piece of artwork and the assurance that it would be a Wii Motion Plus-exclusive title.
  • Vitality Sensor - Iwata mentioned it at last year's press conference, and nothing else has been revealed about it since, except for some vague details on Wii Relax. Presumably, they will have some stuff to show at this year's conference.

From the footage recorded by Nurse Edna (Stuff that was announced at earlier events):
[hiddenlist]
- Dragon Quest IX (DS) - Nintendo is publishing it in the US and Europe, so it would not be surprising to see the localized version at the show.
- FlingSmash (Wii) - Shown at E3 2009 by Nintendo, this is a WM+ exclusive title that's kind of tough to describe (A tennis-pinball platformer?). Interestingly enough, it currently has a $30 MSRP.
- Golden Sun DS - The third entry in the popular RPG series was announced at E3 2009, and at the time it had a short trailer and a small demo on the show floor, so we should expect more info at this year's event.
- Line Attack Heroes (Wii) - Announced at the October media event a few years ago and re-confirmed at last year's E3
- Metroid Other M (Wii) - Originally set for June but pushed to August, it will likely be playable at the show.
- Pikmin 3 (???) - Announced two years ago, and last E3, Miyamoto said that a small team was working on it. Perhaps they would be ready to show something this year.
- Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor (Wii) - Already out in Europe and set for June in the US, they'll probably mention it and have it out on the show floor.
- Wii Party - The supposed successor to the Mario Party franchise, we'll probably hear more about this at the conference.
- Xenoblade (Wii) - Announced at E3 2009 as Monado, this re-christened RPG title may make a second E3 appearance if Nintendo plans to release it in the West.

- Dragon Quest X (Wii) - Announced by Square-Enix a few years back, we may finally hear something about it. Unlikely though, since TGS or a Nintendo/Square-Enix press event would be a more fitting venue.
- Epic Mickey (Wii) - With Warren Spector at the helm, this will be Disney's major holiday title, we may see a playable build at the show. Rumor has it that they may show a version with overhauled graphics, to look closer to the artwork.
- Ghost Trick (DS) - Localization announced at Captivate, so we probably won't see much new at this show since that occurred so recently.
- Ivy the Kiwi? (DS & Wii) - This title, from Yuji Naka's Prope studio, is supposed to be similar in gameplay to Kirby Canvas Curse. It's multi-platform, and it has a unique hand-drawn on parchment graphic style.
- Okamiden (DS) - See Ghost Trick.
- Monster Tale (DS) - A platformer, with a monster-raising twist, from the creators of Henry Hatsworth.
- NBA Jam (Wii) - We'll likely see more of this, possibly at EA's event.
- Super Scribblenauts (DS) - The sequel to 2009's Scribblenauts, and 5th Cell has promised to fix the problems of the first one (e.g. adding D-Pad control of Maxwell), while adding plenty of new stuff (adjectives and adjective-stacking).
- Might as well mention the notable Wiiware releases that have been announced, and will probably make appearances at the show in some form: And Yet It Moves, Descent, La-Mulana, Night Game, Noitu Love 2, Puzzle Agent, Stonekeep, Super Meat Boy, Toribash.
[/hiddenlist]

From the stampbook of Wierd Ed (Released/Announced in other regions):
[hiddenlist]
- Hotel Dusk 2: Last Window (DS) - Released in Japan earlier this year, the future of this sequel to the cult hit Hotel Dusk may be questionable due to developer Cing's bankruptcy filing, but if Nintendo was planning to bring it over, there's no better place to announce it.
- Jam with the Band (DS) - The localized version of Daigasso! Band Brothers DX was quietly announced for Europe, and it seems to be bringing over all of the features of the Japanese version (Downloadable songs, Karaoke mode, etc.). A US release has yet to be announced, but E3 would be the venue to do it.
- The Last Story (Wii) - A Nintendo-published RPG from Hironobu Sakaguchi's Mistwalker studio, and E3 would be a good venue for some footage if they plan to localize it.
- Pokemon Black & White (DS) - They have already announced a release date for the US, perhaps they will reveal more footage or info at the show.
- Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (DS) - The second Layton localization was announced at E3 2009, so the announcement of the final game in the first Layton trilogy would be fitting at E3 2010. Level-5 has already filed the trademark for "Professor Layton and the Unwound Future."
- The recent price drops on the DS Lite/i/LL in Japan could be indicative of future price drops in the western regions. Then again, perhaps not (or at least not in the short-term), since it seems the DS is still selling well in the US each month.

- Dragon Quest VI (DS) - Square-Enix has released the other two DQ remakes in the West, and they have hinted in the past that they wanted to bring this remake to the West too. Since it was finally released in Japan back in January, there would be no better time to announce this localization.
- Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (DS) - Square-Enix has already announced it for the US, and they'll probably show something at the expo.
- Ninokuni: The Another World (DS) - As I said last year, this RPG title seems too big to stay in one country. Developed by Level-5, one of the first 4-gigabit DS carts, used that size to accomodate the fully-orchaestrated score, and animation by Studio Ghibli.
- Tales of Graces (Wii) - Probably won't be announced, since Bandai-Namco seems to bring over only a few entries of the Tales series, but still worth listing I guess.
- Atlus: They usually have a few surprises up their sleeves, last year it was Trauma Team and Shiren the Wanderer. This year, they will probably announce their localization plans. Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier Exceed? SRT OGS Masou-Kishin? Solarobo? The 7th Dragon? They recently announced Etrian Odyssey III, so there should be some more info at the show.
[/hiddenlist]

From the birdbath of Dead Cousin Ted (Misc. matters):
[hiddenlist]
- Retro, developer of the Metroid Prime series, has been working on a mystery title for quite some time now. Allegedly, it was scheduled to appear at past shows, but was usually bumped at the last minute due to not being ready to show off. No time better than E3 to show what they've been working on.
- Project Sora, a Nintendo subsidiary headed by Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai, has been developing something big for a while. Will they be ready to show what they are working on? Who knows...
- I guess on that note, we haven't heard anything from NCL for a while, and Q-Games always seem to be working on something (They should have recently finished X-Scape for DSiWare), so perhaps these two might be working on some unannounced projects. There's also Next Level Games, the developer of the Mario soccer games and the Punch-Out!! remake, though they have apparently been busy working on the Wii version of that upcoming Transformers WFC game.
- Some time ago, Nintendo filed trademarks for a "Power Wii." Perhaps we may see what that is all about.
- A Wiimote was recently submitted to the FCC. Are the changes simply related to cost-cutting measures, or could this have a built-in WM+? We might find out at this event.
- I might as well also mention the recent rumor that Activision is planning to publish a Goldeneye remake for Wii and DS, developed by Eurocom and n-Space respectively.
- Two rumors within the past week: Destructoid has reason to believe that Animal Crossing will be a launch title for the 3DS, and IGN's Craig Harris wrote about a rumor that Retro will be showing a Donkey Kong revival.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. Predictions in the form of Maniac Mansion characters? My heart just melted a little.

As long as Nintendo announces Last Story and Xenoblade for the US I'll be satisfied. I really don't expect much of anything from them considering the past few E3s of shame. I'll be sure to try to watch it for the lulz though.

[quote name='Law_Professor']Joystiq predicts a sequel to New Super Mario Bros. DS, and that's okay with me![/QUOTE]

Ooooh. I'd buy that.

Unless they pull out some crazy shit, I am gonna be disappointed if they don't announce one of the following.

Pilotwings Wii
Horror game that uses Vitality Sensor

So my hopes are zero to none with this press conference but I will watch it for fun.

Nintendo in general always caters to my tastes and they usually have the conference with what I'm the most interested in, so bring it the hell on.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']As long as Nintendo announces Last Story and Xenoblade for the US I'll be satisfied. I really don't expect much of anything from them considering the past few E3s of shame. I'll be sure to try to watch it for the lulz though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on The Last Story and Xenoblade. Maybe DQX gets a small tease also with IX coming in July???

As long as its not 2005 all over again where they jump up and down over connectivity, it can't be too terrible. Damn thing is two hours long though. What time is their presentation in EST? I been trying to find it but, meh. :D

EDIT: Nevermind, question answered, reading is good for me! :p So 12 EST... guess I can sleep in?

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Of all the franchises to do...[/QUOTE]

Ehh, if they return Donkey Kong to the pre-DKC days, or even make a new variation on the classic Donkey Kong, more like a mesh of DKC, DK64 and the original DK arcade game, then it might be wonderful.

Although I was holding out hope Retro would revitalize Pilotwings... but that's just me.

BJ

[quote name='BJWanlund']
Although I was holding out hope Retro would revitalize Pilotwings... but that's just me.
[/QUOTE]

It's not just you. I'd be happy just to have P64 on the VC at this point since another entry seems less than zero.

please let it be zelda this year.
hopefully a mkwii sequel, but thats wishful.

but nintendo should easily steal the show this year with the 3DS.

i wonder if they will confirm that ds lites will no longer be made (or has that been confirmed)

just DSI and DSI XL and the new system

I imagine the 3DS will be at or above (< $200) the DSi XL. All of the current iterations are getting a price drop in Japan likely to open up that price range for the new hardware.

3DS is really the only thing I'm looking for to be exciting out of this whole expo, Zelda might fit the bill if it seems significantly changed (for the better).

Luckily I got my time-sensitive work out of the way yesterday, just starting a weeklong activity today that should leave me plenty of time to watch or at least listen to this whole thing.

Hm, the original was only $150, it would be nice if it were that cheap. I say this like I'm not going to buy it, regardless of price.

Didn't remember that the original DS was announced only 2 months before it was released. It would be nice if they did that again, too.

[quote name='slidecage']i wonder if they will confirm that ds lites will no longer be made (or has that been confirmed)

just DSI and DSI XL and the new system[/QUOTE]

I really can't imagine that they'll continue producing the DS Lite with 3 other DS's to produce as well (DSi, DSi XL and 3DS). Yeah, the Lite is going to get the axe. I can't see how it couldn't.

This new Zelda looks like fun and I will likely buy it (I haven't bought a game for my Wii since SSBB came out), but the motion control doesn't seem all that responsive in this demo. It's taking Miyamoto several attempts to do simple things like slice a certain direction.

EDIT: Too bad this won't have Gamecube controller support. I imagine you'd be able to everything in one attempt with something as precise as an analog stick and buttons!

Turn off wireless devices! LMAO! Nintendo is failing right now!

bread's done
Back