- - - - -

2010-2011 NBA Season Thread

#31 Brownjohn   BAMF CAGiversary!   1987 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Only news that matters is that CEO of Oracle aka 4th richest man in the coddamn world, Larry Ellison is going to purchase the Warriors.

Your reign of terrorism and bandwagon-ing is over Lakers.

I heard a while ago that the Warriors were moving, either to Anaheim, CA, home of Disneyland, or Las Vegas. Has there been any word on that?

#32 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

Lol, TROOOOOLLLLLLL. I forgot that Rooster, Chandler will be so f'ing horrible as the 4th and 5th options. I keep on forgetting that the Knicks can pair TWO max free agents together and get another pretty good to great player with Eddy Curry's expiring contract. You are so right though! Nobody wants to play in NY. They all want to play for the Clippers!

Alright, just you watch man.

There are so many other teams that are in way better postions to win a ring (this is what I think you dont understand) than the Knicks.

You might as well get a pen and paper and start crossing off the FA as they go to different teams. Its funny how Knicks fan think that no one team in the league has cap space. Hell even the Heat can resign Wade and bring in another player.

#33 ananag112   CAGS FOR COCO! CAGiversary!   4294 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thats not the point I am making. The knicks and their fans seem to not understand that no one actually wants to play for the knicks.

You are counting way to heavily on the fact that money will bring in all of these people and it just wont. These are superstar players that can get paid anywhere that wont be enough to bring in people.

Also again, if you come to New York you have to build a team. Only Knicks fans think their existing members are worth anything. No one gives a flying Fuck about Wilson Chandler or douglas or any else on that shit team. Give me a break.

I dont doubt a team being able to go from worst to first but not in this way. The C's did it with cunning sign and trades at the last min...not by trying to buy their way to a ring.

Almost everyone on the Knicks is leaving. Douglas, Chandler, etc are good to decent role players. Gallinari has the potential to be an all star someday. David Lee was the only great player on the Knicks last season, but I doubt he will be on the Knicks next year. We have no clue who will actually be on the Knicks, but they have the money and they have Eddy Curry who they can trade to a team looking to rebuild in 2011.

Donnie Walsh is a good GM. I trust him a lot more then former Knicks GMs like Isiah Thomas and Scott Layden. The Knicks are not trying to "buy" a ring; you really can't buy a ring in the NBA due to the salary cap. The Knicks are trying to get rid of all the bad contracts they had and build a new team from scratch which IMO, is the right strategy.

There are so many other teams that are in way better postions to win a ring (this is what I think you dont understand) than the Knicks.

You might as well get a pen and paper and start crossing off the FA as they go to different teams. Its funny how Knicks fan think that no one team in the league has cap space. Hell even the Heat can resign Wade and bring in another player.

Thats fine. There are a lot of plays who may prefer to play for the Bulls, Heat, Nets, Clippers etc instead of the Knicks. The Knicks have a lot going for them too.

-Ability to sign 2 max players
-D'Antoni as head coach
-Playing in New York
-Some good young talent
-Walsh as GM

#34 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Just curious. What team do you root for? Who are these other teams?

Heat have Wade and nobody else. They would have to get rid of Beasley to afford another 2 Max Free Agents. Bench and rest of the team will be flat out garbage though if they have 3 max.

Nets are in a pretty good position. Can afford 1 max and one close to max. Decent young talent and the #3 pick. Nets would be a more luxury destination if they had the #1 pick, money for 2 max free agents and were playing in Brooklyn next year instead of in a couple of years.

Bulls have Rose. Do Rose and Lebron Mix? I doubt it. They both need to hold the ball most of the time. Noah is a hustler type in a league that has dozens of him. Bulls would have to trade to afford 2 max free agents.

Clippers? Yeah, I am sure free agents want to play on a joke of a team and be the Lakers and Kobe's bitch.

T Wolves? Young talent but are in the middle of nowhere.

#35 advanced   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2944 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

I heard a while ago that the Warriors were moving, either to Anaheim, CA, home of Disneyland, or Las Vegas. Has there been any word on that?

Las Vegas Warriors, that'd be a dope name. Anaheim would be sick too. They just changed the logo to the old-school one with the Bay Bridge on it, so I don't know how plausible it will be in the next few seasons.

#36 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Almost everyone on the Knicks is leaving. Douglas, Chandler, etc are good to decent role players. Gallinari has the potential to be an all star someday. David Lee was the only great player on the Knicks last season, but I doubt he will be on the Knicks next year. We have no clue who will actually be on the Knicks, but they have the money and they have Eddy Curry who they can trade to a team looking to rebuild in 2011.

Donnie Walsh is a good GM. I trust him a lot more then former Knicks GMs like Isiah Thomas and Scott Layden. The Knicks are not trying to "buy" a ring; you really can't buy a ring in the NBA due to the salary cap. The Knicks are trying to get rid of all the bad contracts they had and build a new team from scratch which IMO, is the right strategy.

Thats fine. There are a lot of plays who may prefer to play for the Bulls, Heat, Nets, Clippers etc instead of the Knicks. The Knicks have a lot going for them too.

-Ability to sign 2 max players
-D'Antoni as head coach
-Playing in New York
-Some good young talent
-Walsh as GM

I wouldn't list Pringles as a plus. Great offense minded but lacking in defense. Walsh is rumored to be looking for someone to take over as GM due to his age and health. He was brought in primarily to get the Knicks to the 2010-2011 season.

#37 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Actually you can buy a ring in the NBA because of the Luxary tax system. The sarlary cap has always been a joke....if it wasnt you would never be able to be -50million in the frst place.

I agree that is a great strategy but it still wont bring in the FA. Again a lot of Knicks fan seem to just not understand what is going on. There is building a team for the future and there is winning right now. They have done the former great but in doing so means they cant do the latter. You cant have it both ways.

The team is in a postion to really set themselves up for the future but the future is not what the top FAs want. They have publicly said they want to win now. Not build a team. Lee is the only one considered in the can I win right now format that the FA have stated over and over again.

Bottom line. The Knicks have no ability to win right now...which is the very thing the top FA have said they wanted. Now whether those FA change their mind is a different story. Its amazing how Knicks fans can hear what they want to hear. Even having 2 max level guy doesnt mean they can win right now...that point is so moot.

New York is doing a great job building a team.....which is oppisite of what the top FAs want.

#38 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

Sood, just curious, what team do you root for?

If the Knicks, do not get max fa's this year it's not the end of the world as long as they do not waste years/cap room on marginal players. There is always next year and the year after. The Knicks can easily win 25-30 games with crap as they can with over paid players.

Celtics turned themselves from being a joke with Paul Pierce into a Contender overnight. 3 losers turned into winners. Ray Allen never got past the second round in over a dozen years. KG never got past the first round in over a dozen years. Have people forgot that KG couldn't get out of the first round?

Look at the Nets from 2001-2004. Team won 2 Eastern Conference Finals and almost a 3rd if they didn't give up a last second buzzer beater to the Pistons to tie the game during the second round. Nets would have beaten the pacers in the ECF. Who did the Nets have? Kerry Kittles, Jefferson, Kidd and K Mart. The Nets went from being a joke with Van Horn, Kittles and Martin to a contender based on one trade in getting Jason Kidd who never won shit before and drafting Jefferson. Nets went from a joke to the best team in the Eastern Conference for a couple of years.

What did the 1996 Lakers win? Nothing. They had Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel and Vlade Divac. Divac got traded for an unproven commodity in a high school player and the Lakers sign Shaq. Team turns into a contender within a couple of seasons.

Look at the teams around the Eastern Conference. What happens to the Cavs if they lose James? They turn into a joke. Over the cap with marginal players.

Celtics are another year older unless Ainge can work some magic and get the team younger.

Magic should still be great but they still have overpaid players who cant win in Carter and Lewis.

Bulls and Nets should improve big time.

Heat will improve.

The balance of power from the Western to Eastern conference should develop with star players leaving the West for the Eastern teams who are under the cap.

#39 Brownjohn   BAMF CAGiversary!   1987 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

The balance of power from the Western to Eastern conference should develop with star players leaving the West for the Eastern teams who are under the cap.

Maybe the overall balance of power. The eastern conference will be much better next year, and in the following years, but the Lakers are still going to be the team to beat. The Lakers' core will be back next year, and if a major change doesn't happen, like Lebron going to Miami, the Lakers will win another championship next year.

#40 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

Maybe the overall balance of power. The eastern conference will be much better next year, and in the following years, but the Lakers are still going to be the team to beat. The Lakers' core will be back next year, and if a major change doesn't happen, like Lebron going to Miami, the Lakers will win another championship next year.

Lakers are definite the clear cut favorites to repeat. My point was more of the fact that Boozer, Amare, etc could/should all be going to the Eastern Conference. And the stars in the Eastern Conference will most likely stay and not head west.

#41 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

I dont root for any one team. I have said this many times.

Also, Just seriously think for a sec. One Coach Mike isnt a plus..he plays a speedball system that not a lot of players are going to like being in. Again, no one gives a Fuck about being in New York...(its almost embaressing that people state that as a plus) and they will most likely lose Lee who is their best player.

As of right now the Knicks have nothing. Why sign and hope to god that they sign people around you...that is the same thing you have been doing on your current team.

The bulls already have a superstar PG and a solid Big Men and have stated that are willing to trade some of their lower players.

The Nets have more money than any other team now so if thats what you are looking for then thats where you will go. Plus they have Harris and Lopez.

The Heat can resign Wade and bring in another max level player and a mid level player.

Chi-Town has 20 mill and a Superstar PG and solid Big with tons of solid role players.

Hell even the Thunder have 14 million with the leagues best up and coming player in Durant and a solid PG in Westbrook.

Seriously, its mind boggling...the Knicks have no fucking advantages what so ever.....what are you looking at that proves that people drooling at the mouth to get to the team? This is one of the reason the Knicks will fail in this off season. They putting to many eggs in the We are New York basket and just assuming everyone wants to come and play for them.

If you want to win right now why go to a team that has nothing? You would go to a team that has a couple players that you know what you can get out of.

#42 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Right No Advantages. You are so smart, you should get hired by a NBA Team!

Money for 2 Max Free Agents, decent young talent and a 12 million trade chip. NO ADVANTAGES!

#43 bvharris   the black wind howls CAGiversary!   19419 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

Actually, New York's primary advantage is that it's New York. It's the biggest market in the country, and it's hard to deny players are more marketable in New York than in Cleveland. That's definitely something LeBron cares about, I think that's obvious. So the Knicks main advantage is in where they play, not as much in how the team is presently constituted.

#44 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Wildpac you are simply ignoring what I am saying and so its pointless to bring in logical points with you until you give up your fandom and look at the facts. You sate the same 3 things over and over that has easily been disputed. A advantage means that you have something that your oppoent does not. There are many teams that can sign players so its not really that big a deal. Only Knick fans think they have good young talent other than Lee (Muahahahah) Again, Waiting for Curry to get off the team doesnt really go along with winning right now which they have stated many times. (seriously what dont you understand about this? Right now is not later...its now?)

Also, Bvharris.

Too be honest, I actually think that this years FA class is smarter than what everyone gives them credit for. If that was the case he would have signed right after the season was over so he can bask in all the New York glory.

Here is what really is happening. This crop of FA knows that in order to be really remembered and really change history they have to win Championships. Bottom line. They actually have said this many times yet people continue to ignore them.

It doesnt matter if they are in the back woods of Kansas. If they win Rings they will get to where they want. Most of them have stated including CP3 now that winning is the most imporant thing. Not fame, not money, not being in new york.

They will get paid the same amount no matter where they go so its moot point to talk about New Yorks cap space. In order to win and win right now you have to have system set up for winning already and the players in place that can get you deep in the play offs. There is no way that any one team can sign an entire FA team so you are going to have to take the current roster into consideration when choosing.

The Knicks?

No current players to form a opinion of how deep you can get in the play offs if they loose Lee.
A coach that will most likely have to dream up a new system when you get there (which takes time)
The worry of the Knicks not being able to sign another FA along with you or even worse one that doesnt mesh well with you
The knicks dont have any better role players than the Cavs did so you are not gaining anything by going there by yourself.
The Knicks even while being in the east cant make the play offs and can barely get over 30 wins a year.

Boston is a exceptions not a standard.

Knicks fans remember. James and Co dont need New York. New York needs James and Co.

Edited by Soodmeg, 23 June 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#45 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

http://sports.espn.g...hris&id=5185810

Would you look at that. A New York based ESPN reporter with the exact same thoughts as me. Read it...understand it...get the Fuck over yourself.

#46 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, you are real intelligent when you start basing shit off of Chris Broussard. I hear he is right along the lines of SAS after reading both of their bs online. You should definitely send your resume to the NBA since you are so SMART.

I forgot that James couldn't win an NBA Title with Another Max Free agent, Rooster, Douglas and whomever the Knicks get for Curry. Team would probably lose 50 games.

#47 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

Alright then, talking to you has become completely pointless in this issue.

When, the FA sign with other teams I will be back here to poke fun at you.

#48 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, for god's sake guys, does every sports thread on here have to be ruined with pointless arguing with wildpac. He's just here to troll and piss people off. Throw him on ignore and be done with it so we can have legitimate discussion in the sports threads!

#49 lordopus99   Training for the silver CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

lordopus99

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Wildpac you are delusional.

New York most likely will be getting a Joe Johnson type player this offseason. There is no way in hell Lebron, CP3, etc show up there. The sad thing is they will most likely lose David Lee this offseason i.e. their best player.

The Nets have just as much money to spend this offseason and have a better nucleus in Lopez and Harris. If I was going North, I would rather go there especially since I would also be seen worldwide vs just stateside.

The Heat. These guys I guarantee clean house this offseason. Chris Bosh is at this point a given for Miami. Wade has already made a plea of taking a pay cut if he can get Bosh and Lebron to show up in Miami. The three of them would definitely win a championship.

#50 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

The Heat. These guys I guarantee clean house this offseason. Chris Bosh is at this point a given for Miami. Wade has already made a plea of taking a pay cut if he can get Bosh and Lebron to show up in Miami. The three of them would definitely win a championship.

As a Magic fan, I'd hate to see that happen.

As a sports fan, I'd love it. It would be very refreshing to see three super stars--who are set for life financially anyway--take lower pay to build a team that can dominate rather than just opting for max deals.

#51 madbst   Recquiescat In Pace CAGiversary!   762 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

Athletes, NBA athletes in particular, are after the glitz and glamor, the celeb status and lifestyle. New York is the place to go. If they're after winning, the Knicks (like any other team) are only 2-3 great players away from being a championship-caliber team.

And I find it hard to believe that top free agents would'nt want to play with Knicks but would want to play with Bulls, Heat, Nets, Clippers, etc.

#52 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

And good for the heat if they can pull it off. The Heat were embaressing. Wade is doing his part because he has stated many times he will dont whatever it takes to get some FA next to him.

There is also some decent 2 tier guys they can get. Guys like Boozer, Ming, Rudy Gay, Lee.

If a team plays its card right they can build a great team out of this FA but they habe to know what they are doing. Wade can take a puy guy and sign another max level as well as a 2nd tier player and maybe....a mid level guy.

#53 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Athletes, NBA athletes in particular, are after the glitz and glamor, the celeb status and lifestyle. New York is the place to go. If they're after winning, the Knicks (like any other team) are only 2-3 great players away from being a championship-caliber team.

And I find it hard to believe that top free agents would'nt want to play with Knicks but would want to play with Bulls, Heat, Nets, Clippers, etc.

:roll: Do you even follow sports?

EDIT: Oh...your location is New York.... no wonder what you said made no sense what so ever.

#54 madbst   Recquiescat In Pace CAGiversary!   762 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

And me being from New York means I'm stupid and don't know anything about sports? Stop hating New York and see that the Knicks have a good chance of landing Lebron.

#55 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, I am trolling because I stated that Lebron another Max Free Agent, Knicks Young players and whoever the Knicks get for Curry could win an NBA Title.

I am a troll because I stated that Pierce, KG and Allen won NOTHING before being put together.

I am a troll because I stated that Lewis and Vince Carter are overpaid losers.

I am a troll because I stated that the Nets turned a crappy franchise into a contender by drafting Jefferson and trading for Kidd.

I am a troll because I stated the Knicks are 3 players away from being a contender. Clearly I am delusional because the Knicks do not have cap space and do not have an expiring contract in Curry.

End sarcasm.

#56 Soodmeg  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

No, making gross generalizations about athelets based on zero facts or prove of any kind while discrediting the very people who actually have the best chance for many reasons that have been stated before just so that you can dream that your city has is better than it really is what proves that you are too wrapped up in fandom to discuss sports.

No one is hating on New York and what is this best chance? Honestly can one of you Knicks fans actually explain why you have the best chance? You have a chance yes...but its far from the best.

#57 bvharris   the black wind howls CAGiversary!   19419 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

I'm still betting he ends up in Cleveland. Then again, I'm not a fan of any of the teams trying to get him.

#58 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

No, making gross generalizations about athelets based on zero facts or prove of any kind while discrediting the very people who actually have the best chance for many reasons that have been stated before just so that you can dream that your city has is better than it really is what proves that you are too wrapped up in fandom to discuss sports.

No one is hating on New York and what is this best chance? Honestly can one of you Knicks fans actually explain why you have the best chance? You have a chance yes...but its far from the best.

So it's ok for Chris Broussard to do the same thing and you make yourself look right based on the same bs. Ok now.

I never once in any thread have stated the Knicks have the best chance. Not once.

I have stated numerous times that the Knicks, Bulls, Nets and Heat are all in the running and should improve dramatically.

#59 madbst   Recquiescat In Pace CAGiversary!   762 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

I said good chance, not best chance. You completely disregard the fact that Lebron and others have celeb friends, that they do care about their name brand and sponsorships, and that they would like the luxury that NY offers.

No one is hating on New York and yet if a Clippers or Bulls fan posted on here, you wouldn't be bashing their team as much as you have with Knicks. And what have they won in recent years?

#60 BigSpoonyBard   Aaaaauuugghh! CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

BigSpoonyBard

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

I think in this day and age, the idea of better marketing and sponsorships based on city location is ridiculous. Lebron could form a new team in some dusty ghost town in New Mexico and TNT would have them on every other week. Nike would still pay him in large cartoon bags of money. The internet and cable/satellite tv have made it possible to follow any player you want at any time. Cleveland was absolutely irrelevant until Lebron came; now the Cavs are on national TV all the time. Location doesn't matter for player popularity, marketing, and sponsorships (except for Toronto. You're fucked there). Everybody already knows Lebron. Are they suddenly going to know him double if he goes to New York? It's not an advantage.

The only real advantage you could conceivably give them is the fact that the Knicks are a historic franchise. They haven't won as much, but there's a certain aura to the old teams like the Celtics and the Knicks that could be appealing, but I wouldn't put much weight into it.