CAGcast #205: Steve Job

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]It's hard for me to describe exactly what we talked about this week, beyond just telling you it was awesome. We've also got the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and much more!

[podcast]114[/podcast]
Download - 90 minutes, 60MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I can't keep up with the CAGCast, it's going by so fast. Didn't even have time to finish the 202nd CAGCast.

Fi.... Fi.... Fi.... Fifth! I did it mom :cry: This is the first time I'm doing this post number calling thing I feel important lol.

Looking forward to giving this a listen!

Edit: I'm actually si... si.... fuck this......

I just want to say thanks to the cag godaddy codes I set up my own website and its going really well. Thanks a lot Cheapy and Cheaparsegamer!

Shipwreck, I am the same way. My sister just had a kid, and we went to the hospital to see the new baby. Just being in the ward I was afraid I was going to black out, just thinking about what went down there. Occasionally things enter my mind while I am driving, and I panic that I'm going to pass out and it just elevates the whole situation!

Good show this week. I watched the live stream of EVO tournament as well. It was a disappointment when the stream dropped (it did on two different occasions at least for me) but overall I thought it was a good start and I really hope to see it again. The Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 gameplay was really what I enjoyed the most outside of Gamerbee's Adon and watching MarkMan handing out those gold arcade sticks.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']WTF I hate that "1st " bullsh**[/QUOTE]:applause:

I thought we got over that kind of crap on Ain't It Cool News in 2002.

[quote name='USB Cable']Great show dudes! Only thing that sucked was hearing those sale numbers, that was fucking sad......[/QUOTE]
Well, some people forget we're in a recession. It's hard to spend money when you've lost your job or have a new job that pays a lot less. People are spending less or looking for bargains. I don't even consider new releases anymore. I wait until they drop or there's some sort of bargain. Publishers have to wake up to this reality. The $60 price point was only introduced 4 years ago. Drop the price and sell more copies instead of the opposite.

The movie industry's strategy for this economy has been to raise prices and add even more money for 3D bullshit. The result? The overall 2010 movie season has had the the worst numbers in years. Drop prices in bad times, idiots.

I've got an iPhone 4 now, having upgraded from a 3GS, and Consumer Reports is wrong. Well, they aren't wrong, they're simply making the same mistake that everyone else is, and aren't seeing the forest for the trees. Everyone is focused on the fact that if you hold it left handed the signal strength drops, and yes it does, sometimes even dramatically (probably due to the bogus skewing of the scale toward 5 bars - that sure came back to bite them in the ass). The thing is, in practice, even with only 1 bar, it performs far more reliably then my iPhone 3GS did.

Yesterday and today this was most noticeably demonstrated to me at the train station I spend time waiting at every day when I commute via train/bus. With the 3GS, while in that waiting area, the signal would jump from 5 bars to 0 to 4 bars to 0, etc, changing every minute or more, and even when it was 5 bars it was dog slow. With the iPhone 4, for the first time ever, I had a 100% reliable connection, had streaming audio in the background that ran uninterrupted, and I was browsing the web at the same time and it was fast. And, yes, this was with the phone in my left hand, and yes, when I put it in my left hand I saw the signal drop from 4 bars to 1 over 10 to 20 seconds or so, but it still performed superbly and far, far better then my 3GS ever did in over a year of use in this waiting area. Not one single time did the 3GS have an even remotely reliable connection there. Today and yesterday it's been flawless on the iPhone 4. And this isn't an isolated case. In general I've seen a much more reliable connection everywhere. This is just the most pronounced case of it.

If people would just give the thing a chance they would see this. Unfortunately everyone is stuck looking at the bars, especially media like Consumers Reports. So, it's a public relations disaster, yes, but it is a better antenna design if you actually try the thing out and don't just stare at the signal strength gauge. I'm not saying that it will never drop to zero by holding it left handed. It will, just as I noted, when the signal is weaker (which due to the way the scale is weighted, could even be 4 bars). I do wonder, if you are actually going to have seen a reliable connection in that location with another phone, though. As you can see above, it's not all about signal strength. According to the anandtech review (which is a worthwhile read, and is not all positive, FYI, the more important factor is probably signal to noise, and that's where the iPhone 4 excels in the testing they did, and in practice it's seen as a more reliable connection.

Putting it in a case, though, does reduce the strength drop when held left handed, so I do recommend getting a case and truthfully it's not a bad idea anyway given that the phone will cost your thousands of dollars over the life of your 2 year contract - protecting it with a case is a good investment. I have a $20 Case-Mate Gelli case and I like it a lot, so it doesn't have to be a big expense. I agree that, if it is possible to coat the antenna and reduce the attenuation, though I'm not qualified to know if that would really do anything, then Apple should have done that. It would have saved them a lot of grief. However, the problem is blown out of proportion and overall the phone is much better then previous iPhones, including in 3G reliability and performance.

HAHA Cheapy, your lost iPhone experience sounded like something from a Judd Apatow movie.

btw Wombat, the Steve Job, ROFL...nice one.

Shippy, your fainting spells is similar to my sis' experiences. You might have low blood pressure. Did you ever consult a doctor about it?

One notable oldie PC exception to the general fail that is video game humor, "No One lives Forever 2". Very humorous writing.

Cheapy, if Demon's Souls is too dark, you might wanna check your PS3 settings. Do you have the RGB setting set to Limited or Full? If your TV doesn't support Full, everything will look uber dark and washed out. Change it to Limited and you'll see a big difference.

I agree with Shipwreck, Kotaku is kinda shitty now. They no longer post gaming news. They post some random stuff that has no relation to gaming. Kinda annoyed with Cheapy defending it just because he's friends with someone there. Joystiq is better anyways.

Oh yea, thanks for the shout out, Shippy XD

[quote name='trip1eX']Cheapie subconsciously lost his old iPhone so he take his wife's new iPhone 4.[/QUOTE]

I think he said he took her old phone since she had a new one.

I'm surprised Cheapy struggled to answer when Ship asked if he liked Alan Wake more than Mass Effect 2 given the gushing praise he gave for it. Although I wouldn't say Mass Effect 2 had an "Oscar calibur" story like some game journalists seem to be throwing out there for every big name game that comes along now and then (Rockstar games mainly). But then again it didn't have a monkey in it, and I like monkeys in video games.

Also, Sony probably blocked the Playstation Store across regions because so many people have made multiple accounts for multiple regions, the biggest reason for this is the wide release of Playstation 1 games on the Japanese Playstation Store, many of which never made it to other regions. People would import Japanese PSN cards and use those to buy PS1 games.

Great show - I was just wondering how precise the 3DS's analog controls will be with one stick design: for me, that could potentially be a deal-breaker more than the 3D stuff. The last time Nintendo did one-stick controls, it was the N64 and that was alright. Thoughts?

I agree with the need for some Alan Wake Support. Great game. I decided to buy it as presents for my brother and friend. Here's to hoping they get enough for a sequel.

[quote name='drew327']Shipwreck, I am the same way. My sister just had a kid, and we went to the hospital to see the new baby. Just being in the ward I was afraid I was going to black out, just thinking about what went down there. Occasionally things enter my mind while I am driving, and I panic that I'm going to pass out and it just elevates the whole situation![/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here, I definitely feel you and Shipwreck on this. I've definitely got the white coat syndrome pretty badly. Doctors, hospitals, dentists, optometrists, I can't really deal with any of those things. Last time I was at the eye doctor, I had the exact same thing happen that Shipwreck mentioned where I passed out after having my eyes dilated.

[quote name='WankerJist']Great show - I was just wondering how precise the 3DS's analog controls will be with one stick design: for me, that could potentially be a deal-breaker more than the 3D stuff. The last time Nintendo did one-stick controls, it was the N64 and that was alright. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Did you forget about the Wii Nunchuck? And by all indications, the Slide Pad is excellent and far superior to the PSP's Analog nub.

[quote name='banodyne']Well, some people forget we're in a recession. It's hard to spend money when you've lost your job or have a new job that pays a lot less. People are spending less or looking for bargains. I don't even consider new releases anymore. I wait until they drop or there's some sort of bargain. Publishers have to wake up to this reality. The $60 price point was only introduced 4 years ago. Drop the price and sell more copies instead of the opposite.

The movie industry's strategy for this economy has been to raise prices and add even more money for 3D bullshit. The result? The overall 2010 movie season has had the the worst numbers in years. Drop prices in bad times, idiots.[/QUOTE]
I agree 100% with you. I didn't mean it in a "why don't gamers know what's good?" way, it's just sad that a lot of awesome games won't continue because Publishers don't gedit. The only reason I got Alan Wake was because I had $40 in Amazon credit so I just paid about $13 for it. There's a lot of games out and coming that I want to get but I can't until I get a super cool awesome well paying job or Wombat hires me. ;) I'm not doing so hot financially like a lot of people currently so everything I get is going into icky bills. :puke:

The movie industry I don't even wanna get into..... Ham Burgers........

[quote name='faceturd']I agree with the need for some Alan Wake Support. Great game. I decided to buy it as presents for my brother and friend. Here's to hoping they get enough for a sequel.[/QUOTE]

It's so sad Microsoft sent that game to die. As soon as Red Dead said they were moving to AW's release date (I think 2K made that announcment in late March/early April) then MS should have moved Alan Wake back into June. Most people can only afford 1 new full price game a month right now if that, and the sales numbers from May show that they saved their money for Red Dead, SMG 2, or UFC.

I guess at least it's not as bad sales wise as Blur, Split Second, Mod Nation Racers got in May.

[quote name='KingBroly']Did you forget about the Wii Nunchuck? And by all indications, the Slide Pad is excellent and far superior to the PSP's Analog nub.[/QUOTE]

I meant in the traditional sense of a controller. The Nunchuck is an attachment (albeit, a very necessary one for most Wii controls). The PSP nub is almost unusable on the go for games that use it - playing Peace Walker on the subway was difficult because the analog was imprecise.

Maybe what I'm complaining about is precision?

[quote name='banodyne']Well, some people forget we're in a recession. It's hard to spend money when you've lost your job or have a new job that pays a lot less. People are spending less or looking for bargains. I don't even consider new releases anymore. I wait until they drop or there's some sort of bargain. Publishers have to wake up to this reality. The $60 price point was only introduced 4 years ago. Drop the price and sell more copies instead of the opposite.

The movie industry's strategy for this economy has been to raise prices and add even more money for 3D bullshit. The result? The overall 2010 movie season has had the the worst numbers in years. Drop prices in bad times, idiots.[/QUOTE]

The recession hasn't hit me too hard, but I'm done buying new releases. Even with the Amazon promotional deals, I still burned as a consumer when I see these releases drop to $40 bucks within weeks. Just doesn't pay to pre-order anymore.

Great show guys, even if my tweet to you guys made me sound retarded. :D

I agree with you though Shipwreck. Kotaku has been drifting away a lot more these days from gaming news and including a lot of stuff that is either just silly, which is all good, but you do end up weeding through a good number of articles to get a few good nuggets of gaming news. Haven't listened to any of the podcasts, but perhaps there's something more I'm missing in there news there.

CheapyD, I enjoyed Demon's Soul, but it was kind of a trip to make any real progress. The darkness of the game was kind of annoying but I think that was another one of it's main elements to get players more cautious of their surroundings. The gameplay is there but what I had a problem with that I never got any real decent drops. I'm still using the very sword I got in the beginning of the game, only I've just leveled it. The enemies get kind of redundant and the demon's themselves are Dow right aggravating at times. It has potential to build off with the hints from other players, death replays, and co-op play, but I understood your frustration.

I was rather surprised by those numbers for Blur and Split/Second though. I like them both but I do enjoy Split/Second a little more just because it plays a lot more in that racon style manner in stead of the bump and run Mario kart play like Blur does. But Blur's 20 player online is pretty bad ass, I won't lie.

Good show again guys. I'll try to tweet more coherent questions in the future.

Very excited to hear the news about the mobile version of CheapAssGamer.com. Even superphones that can render any website still have the same small screen instead of a computer monitor.

In regards to the Kotaku discussion, I think all of the Gawker Media blog writers are under pressure to make posts that will appeal to more than one of their blogs to get more clicks to all the various blogs on the network.

For example, each of Owen Good's posts about X sports game are cross-posted on Deadspin. If you click on the post on Deadspin, it goes to the actual blog post and discussion page on Kotaku. I'm sure all of those Japanese car posts you talked about on the show link to Jalopnik.

[quote name='banodyne']Cheapy, you should've put up a link to the Gameblogguu parody of Kotaku. Took me a second to search for it, but in the interest of making people aware how douchy its become it needs to be seen by as many as possible.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/gameblogguu-kotaku-parody.php

But are we really surprised? It's part of Gawker Media. You know, the people who paid for a stolen iPhone 4 and reported on it.[/QUOTE]

thank you for that spared me the need to request this.

Don't watch anything to do with the childbirth Shipwreck. I was fine until I saw the tray of afterbirth........one peek at that and you are DONE.

The whole "Xbox Pure" comment on the CAGcast - is that in reference to the whole Kotaku debacle? Because the codename Pure was used in that as well to refer to a slim 360.

Good show guys. I've missed the past few months of episodes.

Shaolin Monks is a great game. I had a really good time playing co-op. More people needed to play that one. It was nice to see an MK spin-off that didn't suck balls (like those PS1 games). I would have loved to see a sequel. Except for that name. Fire & Ice? Wasn't that an NES game? :)

I loved the Gamestop impression you guys did. :lol:

Cheapy, I'm not sure why you're defending Kotaku. You guys have complained on the show several times about how awful game journalism is. Well, Kotaku is one of the top reasons why it's a total joke, especially after some actions that went down about a week ago.

You mentioned Apple deleting comments on their message board to hide the fact the Iphone has some major issues. Kotaku did the same thing. Basically, Crecente banned a long time Kotaku member for posting constructive criticism on the site (in the TAY section, the section he later told people where they should post those kinds of comments). Part of his criticism was what Shipwreck talked about. This pissed off a lot of people, and it set off a huge shit storm. People started commenting in an article Crecente posted highlighting the site's "best" posts, criticizing the way Crecente banned the user, the way he continued to handle the escalating situation, and Kotaku's posting quality. A bunch of people were banned, de-starred (Kotaku's commenting system to highlight only the comments they like), and their comments censored by having the vowels all taken out because they were complaining about how Kotaku posts a bunch of dumb shit and bans people for pointing it out. He put up an Editorial Board section in response for people to post complaints, criticisms, and suggestions for the site because he was getting a ton of heat for all the bannings and censorship. Even there, he just tells people, "You don't have to read the articles", "We can't cater to your individual needs" or "if you don't like it start your own site", bla bla bla.

Basically, Crecente has the same mentality as he did during the Xbox Pure deal. He can't take criticism at all, and he's an arrogant douche about it too. If you criticize anything about Kotaku he just bans you or censors what you have to say. Quite frankly, he's a garbage journalist.

I'm sure Ashcraft is a nice guy, but his articles are completely stupid and mostly creepy.

Kotaku is a video game site, so there main focus should be about video games, not Japanese school girls, celebrities playing games, celebrities holding a game, speculation and sensationalism, or about 90% of the ridiculously stupid shit they post. If somebody worked virtually any where else, and wrote an article that had absolutely nothing to do with what they're supposed to write about, and kept doing it over and over again, they would be fired. Plain and simple. If a ton of people are complaining that they need more game content on Kotaku and less dumb posts, obviously it's a big issue.

It's like if CAG's video game deal section was filled with mostly deals for adult diapers, school girl outfits, shampoo, boob jobs, TV dinners, and other non-gaming stuff, with the occasional game deal thrown in. Maybe there's even some posts with a celebrity pretending to be excited about a deal they got on those adult diapers. Since you're a video game deals site, those deals wouldn't make much sense. People would be speaking out against all those lame deals. Imagine if your response was, "We can't cater to your individual needs. If you don't like it, go start your own site." That doesn't address the issue or please your audience.

Yeah, Kotaku can do whatever they want, but I fail to see how celebrities playing games is interesting to gamers, or like you mentioned, how someone smelling bad is something gamers care about. What exactly are they the gamer's guide to?

Of course, it doesn't matter, because Kotaku has a ton of daily visitors. Bottom line is, they don't care about being good journalists (even though they try to fool themselves into thinking they're super serious journalists). They care about getting those high page views.

I stopped visiting the site after the Xbox Pure thing and haven't looked back. The way Crecente handled the situation was enough for me to stop taking them seriously. They've gotten much, much worse since then.

As for the coupon partners thing, it's obvious that Crecente and company (or probably just Crecente) are still sore about the Xbox Pure rumor. Nice job on the G4 gig though.

EDIT: Per Cheapy's permission, here's the article I wrote on my blog that was the Xbox Pure Google Alert he mentioned on the CAGcast, if anyone wants to check it out. It's basically a more detailed account of what I posted above.

Last edited:
Fantastic post, Blackout. :applause:

[quote name='MSUHitman']Link to Cheapy's debut article on G4TV.com. Of course someone in their comments (who claims to be a CAG) takes the chance to rip Cheapy and call him a 360 fanboy, showing why I never go to the site and just download their podcasts through their feeds on the Zune Marketplace.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/706169/This-Week-in-Game-Deals-July-11th-July-17th.html[/QUOTE]

By that logic you should stop going to the CAG forums and stop listening to the CAgcast because Cheapy gets (unfairly) ripped for being a 360 fanboy there as well.

bread's done
Back