Final Fantasy XIII-2 Announced. Coming out 2011 in Japan

Amblix

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (98%)
FFXIII - 2 Reveal Trailer

final_fantasy_xiii-2-300x225.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Main Website

Update: A couple of details: The game is releasing this year in Japan. Motomu Toriyama is serving as the director.

Square Enix seemed to have a few surprises up their sleeves for their latest conference in Japan. Indeed they did. The company has announced Final Fantasy XIII-2. The game is in the works for both the PS3 and 360. More details soon.
Sweet. Another RPG to get this year, if it makes it to North America that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. I'm one of the few that enjoyed X-2, but since I couldn't stand XIII there's no way I'm touching this with a 10-foot pole.

[quote name='ZForce']Great just what we needed, a direct sequel to the worst Final Fantasy game since 8.[/QUOTE]

/thread.

I actually enjoyed FFXIII. It definitely wasn't the best and the lack of free roam for the majority of the game kind of sucked. I did enjoy the combat system though. I'll keep an eye on this though. If it's anything like X-2, then I'll probably stay away from it.

Well, now I officially am no longer interested in Final Fantasy. Tales series, you're coming off the bench for favorite current rpg series. Don't let me down!

[quote name='MSUHitman']...since I couldn't stand XIII there's no way I'm touching this with a 10-foot pole.[/QUOTE][quote name='ZForce']Great just what we needed, a direct sequel to the worst Final Fantasy game since 8.[/QUOTE]

+1 (though I will say in 8's defense Triple Triad was amazing, Laguna Liore was awesome, the gardens and the world itself was stunning and Aura was broken as holy fuck.)

I would ask why Lightning is donning ridiculous looking armor while posing like some broadway starlet but I honestly don't care that much. Terrible game was terrible.

[quote name='Cheddahz']Wait?!? Another sequel to a Final Fantasy game!?? Doesn't Square Enix remember that X-2 sucked?[/QUOTE]

It's true the internet hated X-2 with a passion, but it was actually pretty damn fun IMO and was a big hit for Square.

The internet also hated XII, which was also a really well made game. Call me crazy, but I don't think Square gives a shit about message boards. If XIII was an awful game, then shame on everyone for buying 5-6 million copies of it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's true the internet hated X-2 with a passion, but it was actually pretty damn fun IMO and was a big hit for Square.

The internet also hated XII, which was also a really well made game. Call me crazy, but I don't think Square gives a shit about message boards. If XIII was an awful game, then shame on everyone for buying 5-6 million copies of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, people on the internet tend to exaggerate juuuuuust a tad. And they also enjoy assuming that their opinion is equal to fact. XIII was well-reviewed and sold well. Somebody liked it. I know I did, and I am guessing I am not alone. Just because you in particular didn't like it does not mean it's an epic piece of garbage.

I don't know, it seems as though everything was pretty well wrapped up at the end of XIII. At least the ambiguity of what happened to Tidus at the end of X made for something worthy of a sequel.

[quote name='Daywalker']If this game starts off quickly and doesn't consist of the first 8 chapters feeling like a tutorial, then i'm in.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but FFX-2 if I remember had a pretty long "tutorial" as well, but then again the game play was very different that FFX

After spending all this money on the engine I am sure Square Enix wants to get 1 more game that will sell millions of copies

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's true the internet hated X-2 with a passion, but it was actually pretty damn fun IMO and was a big hit for Square.

The internet also hated XII, which was also a really well made game. Call me crazy, but I don't think Square gives a shit about message boards. If XIII was an awful game, then shame on everyone for buying 5-6 million copies of it.[/QUOTE]

I just couldn't stand the characters and the story but the combat system was really lots of fun

Ah jeez. I'm an old school die-hard FF fan, but I didn't finish XIII. Now that I think back, maybe I didn't like it because I expected something different. I said, "nah, those reviewers are wrong. This is Final Fantasy after all." Well, they were right.

But, maybe I can give it a 2nd chance. I want to be excited about XIII-2. I loved X-2 back in 2002. Hopefully this will be good. If nothing else, Lightning's new outfit looks bad ass and here's to hoping we get another outstanding soundtrack!

maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but this looks like an elaborate hoax. besides, am i the only one who really likes XIII?

wow, I just saw Lightning's outfit. Looks like a total slut. I liked her semi-modest clothing in XIII.

The clothing makes me think of the anime "Queen's Blade" (bad memories >.

[quote name='ZForce']Great just what we needed, a direct sequel to the worst Final Fantasy game since 8.[/QUOTE]

I would be all over a sequel to 8. This? Not so much.

FFXIII was terrible compared to FFX. FFX-2 was terrible compared to FFX. This game has the potential to be the most epically bad RPG in history.

I had an OK time with FFXIII. Wouldn't say it was the worst RPG I played, but it most definitely was not my favorite.

I also feel that the story felt pretty wrapped up at the end, not sure if a sequel is needed.

I really liked ff13, the fighting system was really sweet when you got into it.

I didn't even mind it being linear because nowadays I don't have enough time/patience to explore in a rpg.

[quote name='theredworm']I really liked ff13, the fighting system was really sweet when you got into it.

I didn't even mind it being linear because nowadays I don't have enough time/patience to explore in a rpg.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The only parts that I thought were annoying were anything Hope related. One of my biggest pet peeves is a whining depressed little kid.

The game really picked up at the end storywise, they could've done a better job at overall pacing.

http://na.square-enix.com/ffxiii-2/
^that's the official NA site. It has the trailer in the OP, its in English and its in a higher res.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']
I also feel that the story felt pretty wrapped up at the end, not sure if a sequel is needed.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I thought the same thing about FFX, but S-E managed to pull something out of their asses for X-2.

Official synopsis is out:

Set a few years after Lightning and the others saved Cocoon, some survivors have decided to start over by rebuilding on Gran Pulse. Lightning, however, is nowhere to be found and thought dead by many, but Serah believes otherwise. When her town is suddenly overrun by monsters, a mysterious man named Noel appears to save her. Together, the two set off to find Lightning.

There is also a new trailer over at Gamespot.

I'm definitely getting this when it releases. XIII was a solid game, it had some story issues but I enjoyed the cast and the gameplay was excellent. I'm not too sure about where XIII-2 is heading storywise; I wasn't a fan of Serah and the male lead looks like a Kingdom Hearts reject. I would have been fine with the continuing adventures of Lightning and company. But I'm expecting the gameplay to remain great.

Official North American release date is January 31, 2012

ADDED:

Fan subtitled version of the new trailer is on youtube http://youtu.be/VaJvsW3ez-4. I look forward to an official English version but we see Hope & Snow. We get a name for the purple guy, Kaias. Also I read on one message board that one of the commands in the battle section translates to "leader change" indicating we will be able to change the party leader in battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elaine_of_shalott']The Demo is now up on Xbox.com[/QUOTE]
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to play this.

bread's done
Back