Watchmen: The End is Nigh The Complete Experience Comes w/Blu-ray Movie now $16.71

So the movie was bad....yet the games were so so yet you'd still tell people to get it?

The general census is that the games were bad and the movie was decent/good. I saw it in the theater and got this at BB on clearance for $15 like a year ago or something.

nice post joker! cheapest been reported yet..my only comment is be prepared for a smashed set when ordering from online. Mine came all smushed from Newegg, but I think I got it straighted out ok..

oh and movie: decent, good, but long. The beginning is the best. the game: typical beat-em-up fare, gets very repitive; sick looking graphics though.

Worth it for the movie alone. I picked up this set at Best Buy on clearance awhile back for $10, and I got my money's worth. The games aren't terrible, just pretty mediocre, but they're kinda fun for under $10.

How can you say the movie was terrible? As a long time graphic novel fan I loved it. Yes the ending absolutely ruined the movie but up that that it was great. Simply the best we could have ever hoped for imo. Check out the super extended version sometime if you are a fan of the franchise it really helps the film feel more complete.

I head the game was terrible but for that price I think I'm willing to bite. I already have the UBER BR CE and a regular dvd version of the film so it'd just be the game that I could make use of.

I grabbed this last year during some sale for like $15. The movie alone is worth the cost as the standard DVD is probably still $20 or so. I thought the movie was good but I haven't even tried playing the game yet.

My local BB in DE is selling this game for $7.99 for the 360. Might swing by tomorrow and pick it up.

[quote name='jcslao']My local BB in DE is selling this game for $7.99 for the 360. Might swing by tomorrow and pick it up.[/QUOTE]

7.99 is a decent price, but I don't think the 360 version comes with the movie...I could be wrong but if my memory serves me correctly, it's just the 2 games.

Yeah it doesnt come with the movie on 360.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']How can you say the movie was terrible? As a long time graphic novel fan I loved it. Yes the ending absolutely ruined the movie but up that that it was great. Simply the best we could have ever hoped for imo. Check out the super extended version sometime if you are a fan of the franchise it really helps the film feel more complete.

I head the game was terrible but for that price I think I'm willing to bite. I already have the UBER BR CE and a regular dvd version of the film so it'd just be the game that I could make use of.[/QUOTE]

I didnt even realize the plothole of Bubastis until my friend asked during the movie. Thats why changing the ending was very stupid.

I never understand why people prefer the comic book version.

The comic ending of
a teleporting army of squids, which are dead on arrival, cause massive destruction due to the teleportation. There is no real, looming, threat present which would cause the world to have everlasting peace. The film ending actually has a looming threat of Dr. Manhattan always "watching" the super powers, hence the reason for world peace.

Yeah thats not how I understand it thepik. Like I said, how would you explain Bubastis with the movie ending? It was a bad move to change it.

The book was so much better. Great art and style to it with the 9-panels I believe. Just a great story told very well.

I also think the movie made it very obvious who the bad guy is IMHO. I dont know if it was the actor or the costume, but the book actually shocked upon reading it and turning the page to the double page spread of death.

Here's the real comic ending:
A psychic monster is teleported into NYC. The teleportation kills the creature whom, upon death, sends out a psychic blast that kills everyone in it's wake. This causes everyone on earth to think an alien invasion is coming and thus they unite to prepare for the impending attack.

There's a more accurate brief telling of the essentials of the ending for you. Any more questions?!

Oh, and thanks OP decided to snag the game and toss it in my backlog.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Here's the real comic ending:
A psychic monster is teleported into NYC. The teleportation kills the creature whom, upon death, sends out a psychic blast that kills everyone in it's wake. This causes everyone on earth to think an alien invasion is coming and thus they unite to prepare for the impending attack.

There's a more accurate brief telling of the essentials of the ending for you. Any more questions?!

Oh, and thanks OP decided to snag the game and toss it in my backlog.[/QUOTE]

So there are two points to that:

If teleportation kills the aliens then why prepare for an attack? If anything you should prepare for disaster crews to clean up the mess. Most likely however there wouldn't be a constant stream of aliens coming to Earth so eventually the super powers would grow tired/realize there are no more aliens coming and they would fight amongst themselves.

Pik please just go back and reread the story. You've missed the point.

I really don't want to go into any further detail/explanation for fear of spoiling it for someone who might curiously read the spoilers. I'm done if you want further explanation PM me. Although I can't imagine why you would. It's really not that hard to understand.

Seriously, how could someone rate this deal as one star? If you don't like the movie, that's fine, don't buy it. But the movie BR plus the two questionable beat-em-ups for $12 is a great deal. I'd jump if I didn't already own the movie BR. Thanks OP, and I did my best to bump up the thread rating!

I don't understand why people get so defensive in regards to the change of the ending.

I understand the parallels of the comic book ending and the sub plot of the
Black Freighter
however the film took out that sub plot entirely so it wouldn't make much sense to have it appear out of no where, it would seam a bit silly (in my opinion at least).

The game that comes with this really sucks; a very stale and monotonous beat-em-up that doesn't even come close to capturing the spirit or tone of the film. Don't expect to be playing it to enjoy it, unless you value getting a few extra trophies or something. Basically, if you buying this, you're paying $12 for the Watchmen movie on Blu-ray, with packaging that's kinda bulky and ugly.

Never read the comic, but thoughly enjoyed the movie. Essentially I'm paying 6.50 each for a BR movie and 2 downloadable games. And with the $20 promo credit from LBP2, I get it for free and change. How could I go wrong? :)

I dont know why, but I am actually considering this. Its cheap and the environments/graphics are decent enough to work through without using too many brain cells. And I have credit...that certainly helps to impuls buy.

The games are monotonous, but the final level of the second game is something that is worth seeing. All the rest of the levels from both games have only male enemies. But the final level of End is Night pt 2 has a bunch of female enemies and there are specific kill animations for them. And they're incredibly brutal. To the point of being laughable.

MjC

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Terrible movie, so so games, but not a bad price. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it.[/QUOTE]

Great movie, terrible games. Can't believe anyone would see this the other way around.

[quote name='thepik241']I don't understand why people get so defensive in regards to the change of the ending.

I understand the parallels of the comic book ending and the sub plot of the
Black Freighter
however the film took out that sub plot entirely so it wouldn't make much sense to have it appear out of no where, it would seam a bit silly (in my opinion at least).[/QUOTE]

For me it wasnt just the ending, I didnt like it for multiple reasons.

1- Snyder added in shit that did nothing for the story at all, was pointless and just stupid. Like roarshack killing the guy with the cleaver. That wasnt in the comic, it didnt fit in the movie and the cg work on it was so terrible it made dr manhattan look real in comparrison. Then he removes little things like smoking, he took out all smoking and smoking references because he doesnt like smoking. Aside from comedian chomping on a cigar once or twice it was all removed because he is anti smoking.

2- The soundtrack was fucking laughable. Was filled with cliche movie songs and they were blasted out with so much intent snyder might as well have stood behind you the entire movie yelling in your ear constantly "You see, this is set in a certain time period! Do you hear that time periods music? Isnt it so awesome how I constantly make you feel like your alive in that time period by playing these songs?!". I mean honestly who the hell plays hallejueah during a sex scene? The choice of using all those cliche real life songs was annoying.

3- The acting for the most part was for shit. The constant look of dead eyes staring at the camera, the monotone diatrabs, the boring speeches, the emotionless faces. It was all so either insanely dry or over dramatic. The only person who did a good job was roarshack and hell all he did was play a angry man that talked like batman the whole time, not exactly hard to do. Silk spectres soap opera acting made me roll my eyes multiples times and dr manhattan didnt do anything but stand there and read lines in the most bored tone possible.

4- Why did everyone have powers? In the comic everyone but dr manhattan was just a normal guy. But in the movie everyone knew kung fu, flipped through the air, floated around and could punch a guy hard enough to make him go flying back. Everyone was channeling the matrix.

5- The pacing was god awful. The movie felt a hell of alot longer than it really was because it would constantly slow down for no reason and drag on.

6- All the exciting parts were boring. All the action parts Id seen done dozens of times before and all the big special effects parts were putting me to sleep like dr manhattan on his spherical city thing in space was uninpisired. The computer effects are what made it boring because there were so many of them my mind new it wasnt real and I couldnt get out of reality because it was all so over the top.

7- The movie had no focus. It never felt like it was going anywhere or driving you towards something. It all just felt thrown together and jumbled. Msotly because they tried to jam everything in and try to squeezes 4 hours worth of movie into one.

8- Everything was so over the top. The set pieces were over designed, the costumes were over done, the "gritty realism" was over the top, the amount of computer effects were over the top, the violence at times was over the top, the slow then suddenly fast speed camera work for the action was over the top, the acting was over the top.

The whole movie felt like snyder was just too busy jerking off at how awesome he was instead of crafting a good movie. All his decent movies were action movies, he can not direct narrative or character driven pieces because he isnt cut out for that. Its no wonder alan moore hates hollywood, they fuck up all his comics when turned into movies.

[quote name='gargus']For me it wasnt just the ending, I didnt like it for multiple reasons.

1- Snyder added in shit that did nothing for the story at all, was pointless and just stupid. Like roarshack killing the guy with the cleaver. That wasnt in the comic, it didnt fit in the movie and the cg work on it was so terrible it made dr manhattan look real in comparrison. Then he removes little things like smoking, he took out all smoking and smoking references because he doesnt like smoking. Aside from comedian chomping on a cigar once or twice it was all removed because he is anti smoking.

2- The soundtrack was fucking laughable. Was filled with cliche movie songs and they were blasted out with so much intent snyder might as well have stood behind you the entire movie yelling in your ear constantly "You see, this is set in a certain time period! Do you hear that time periods music? Isnt it so awesome how I constantly make you feel like your alive in that time period by playing these songs?!". I mean honestly who the hell plays hallejueah during a sex scene? The choice of using all those cliche real life songs was annoying.

3- The acting for the most part was for shit. The constant look of dead eyes staring at the camera, the monotone diatrabs, the boring speeches, the emotionless faces. It was all so either insanely dry or over dramatic. The only person who did a good job was roarshack and hell all he did was play a angry man that talked like batman the whole time, not exactly hard to do. Silk spectres soap opera acting made me roll my eyes multiples times and dr manhattan didnt do anything but stand there and read lines in the most bored tone possible.

4- Why did everyone have powers? In the comic everyone but dr manhattan was just a normal guy. But in the movie everyone knew kung fu, flipped through the air, floated around and could punch a guy hard enough to make him go flying back. Everyone was channeling the matrix.

5- The pacing was god awful. The movie felt a hell of alot longer than it really was because it would constantly slow down for no reason and drag on.

6- All the exciting parts were boring. All the action parts Id seen done dozens of times before and all the big special effects parts were putting me to sleep like dr manhattan on his spherical city thing in space was uninpisired. The computer effects are what made it boring because there were so many of them my mind new it wasnt real and I couldnt get out of reality because it was all so over the top.

7- The movie had no focus. It never felt like it was going anywhere or driving you towards something. It all just felt thrown together and jumbled. Msotly because they tried to jam everything in and try to squeezes 4 hours worth of movie into one.

8- Everything was so over the top. The set pieces were over designed, the costumes were over done, the "gritty realism" was over the top, the amount of computer effects were over the top, the violence at times was over the top, the slow then suddenly fast speed camera work for the action was over the top, the acting was over the top.

The whole movie felt like snyder was just too busy jerking off at how awesome he was instead of crafting a good movie. All his decent movies were action movies, he can not direct narrative or character driven pieces because he isnt cut out for that. Its no wonder alan moore hates hollywood, they fuck up all his comics when turned into movies.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely loved the book and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

As for the clever part,
In the book, Kovacs does use the clever to kill the dogs but he burns the guy alive. I remember when I first read the book, I thought it was bad ass how he let the guy burn in the building. I was pretty disappointed when they changed that part, because as you pointed out, the clever special effect was terrible. I just assume that Snyder thought he could carry the clever over from him using it to kill the dogs and claim that it "closely follows" the original material. Either way, it was a bullshit change because I don't see how letting the guy go down in a burning building would be more difficult than the crap knife in the head scene.

The movie was great, regardless of what the super nerds say. The games are pretty boring, and obviously low quality, but I got this for like $14.99 and I thought it was a fabulous deal since the Blu is the Director's Cut.

The movie was pretty good, in my opinion, from a huge comic fan. I don't really see how it could have been much better doing Watchmen. I also like that Snyder added little touches to enhance the original work, rather than being nothing more than an adaptation.

It was far, far better than that 300 abortion.

[quote name='blindinglights']I absolutely loved the book and I agree with pretty much everything you said.
As for the clever part,
In the book, Kovacs does use the clever to kill the dogs but he burns the guy alive. I remember when I first read the book, I thought it was bad ass how he let the guy burn in the building. I was pretty disappointed when they changed that part, because as you pointed out, the clever special effect was terrible. I just assume that Snyder thought he could carry the clever over from him using it to kill the dogs and claim that it "closely follows" the original material. Either way, it was a bullshit change because I don't see how letting the guy go down in a burning building would be more difficult than the crap knife in the head scene.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with alot of the other guys points too. I remember reading something about the reason he changed that scene is because people would say he stole the idea from the first saw movie (being chained up and having to make a choice) when in reality if may have been the other way about who is jocking off who?!

[quote name='MCalvert1'] But the final level of End is Night pt 2 has a bunch of female enemies and there are specific kill animations for them. And they're incredibly brutal. To the point of being laughable.

MjC[/QUOTE]

Like Mortal Kombat? :D

Oh well, want to buy it but too late to the party. Back to regular price.

Even though the price went up, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hadn't realized the PS3 version came with the movie. I'll have to watch the price now. :)

[quote name='United_Korea']is the game supposed to come without a shrink wrap?[/QUOTE]

Mine came yesterday and didn't.

It had a circular sticker on the top and one on the bottom of the package.

bread's done
Back