HD collections - discussion and speculation

Blank Earth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
156 (100%)
I love older games. I also love HD stuff. I should be thrilled about all these HD collections being announced for PS3, but so far I'm cynical. Whenever I read about a new one, my first thought is usually: "What am I going to do with my originals if I buy the new versions? Trade them to Amazon for $0.25 credit?"

Re-releases are nothing new, and of course no one's forcing me to re-buy. A few here and there was nothing big, but clearly we're seeing a trend develop, and the uncertainty of what's next makes me, as a collector, a little bit nervous about my games losing value.

Should I get paranoid and start selling off my trilogies while they've still got any value? Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill for example seem fairly likely candidates. Shadow Hearts and Xenosaga are probably unlikely, but who knows? I wouldn't really have guessed Ico and SOTC either.

How do other CAGs feel about HD collections? Any ideas on other candidates for the re-release treatment?

We need these 3 re-releases on PS3.

Jak and Daxter Series
Ratchet and Clank Series
Metal Gear Solid 3

wouldnt mind seeing a gta collection, a socom collection, or hd remakes of black or hitman. i could go on for days. MAX PAYNE FTW!!!!!

I absolutely welcome HD ports of games, as long as they don't mess with them too much. Even if i own the game, it'd be great having them playable on one system. Why even worry about selling them? You won't make much, and I'm sure you got your money's worth from them anyway. Keep them as a nostalgic memento. That's what I'll do with Ico/Sotc

Anyway, iI want these games:

Kingdom Hearts HD (Pt 1, 2, and Re:Chained)
Final Fantasy collection (X, X-2, and XII)
GTA Collection definitely
Okami HD (w/ Move support!)

I have a good feeling that Kojima will announce a Metal Gear Solid collection at E3, possibly with some sort of 3D included.

Ratchet & Clank series
Jak and Daxter series
Kingdom Hearts series
Metal Gear Solid series
And, tho I know it's super unlikely, I really want Dragon Quest VIII on the PS3. They could bundle it with Rogue Galaxy or something.

[quote name='Buuhan1']And, tho I know it's super unlikely, I really want Dragon Quest VIII on the PS3. They could bundle it with Rogue Galaxy or something.[/QUOTE]

Naw, Dark Cloud 1 & 2. Holy crap. HOLY CRAP.

I'm looking forward to the PoP and Tomb Raider HD Collections though I won't pay more than $20 for either one. I still haven't gotten the Sly collection but again, I don't want to pay more than $20 for that either. But I don't mind them... I do enjoy them and wouldn't mind a Shadow Hearts HD Collection (though that's very unlikely) and Jak & Dextar Collection.

The only one I did pay full price for was GoW Collection and will be paying full price for the ICO/SotC Collection. I'd pay full price for a MGS HD Collection and that's pretty much it.

I would like to see those two Vanillaware games, Odin's Sphere and Grim Grimoire, with HD update. They already had great graphics, but after watching some anime on blu-ray versus anime on DVD, Im convinced it could make a big difference. I think Odin's Sphere in particular would benefit from a widescreen perspective.

It'd would also be great if they threw in Muramasa, but I imagine the above is already enough wishful thinking.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I would like to see those two Vanillaware games, Odin's Sphere and Grim Grimoire, with HD update. They already had great graphics, but after watching some anime on blu-ray versus anime on DVD, Im convinced it could make a big difference. I think Odin's Sphere in particular would benefit from a widescreen perspective.

It'd would also be great if they threw in Muramasa, but I imagine the above is already enough wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]

I could swear I heard both games were actually getting HD re-makes to be released on PSN a while ago.
Here's hoping!

I really enjoy the HD re-makes, but mostly because of trophies.
I have a BC 60GB PS3 so I can easily play any of the PS2 games I want to revisit, but the trophies give me motivation to go through the games again and try challenges I may have skipped on the original versions. :D

I'll probably buy everyone of them that comes out, I didn't get to experience much last gen, for example never playing Sly 2 and 3. But now I can. :)

[quote name='Gameboy415']I could swear I heard both games were actually getting HD re-makes to be released on PSN a while ago.
Here's hoping![/QUOTE]

It was a rumor... and nothings come of it since then (AFAIK). I doubt we'll see them but I'd definitely be up for it.

Oh, and in addition to that, there's also Beyond Good and Evil, which I'm looking forward to. Too bad it's going to be digital only... I prefer my games on hard copies, when possible.

I didn't hear anything about GrimGrimoire. The rumor was for Odin Sphere and Murabasa: the Demon Blade from what I recall. I believe this rumor will actually happen btw.

In some ways I think these HD collections are a really great idea. The price is right (although personally I'm not interested in ANY of them until they reach the $20 point), there's generally alot of content and I'd like to think we're mostly getting what we want here... ie no "MTX vs. ATV trilogy" or anything. I think it has some faults though, some developers can too easily give us a half-hearted double dip. I think one issue I have is that not every game is going to be worth it... some games like the Sly trilogy look great in HD but some games, like MOH Frontline, look weird and uneven. I think its something of a case-by-case basis with these games and not all of them are going to look good with an HD coat. Unless some of these devs are willing to re-render their CG clips in HD too I'd imagine games with lots of CG would have a rather jarring transition in quality like we got in the God of War collection.

To answer the main question though, I don't think you'll have to worry about your existing collection... when a game loses its value for whatever reason (like when FF7 was announced for the PSN) there is still a brief window where you can sell your stuff off without suffering a huge loss.

Personally, I would love to see HD remakes of the following:

A Kingdom Hearts trilogy - I bet these would look great in HD. If they could've add an HD-ified Birth by Sleep I'd take that over Chain of Memories though

An SMT compilation - I think all of their PS2 games would look pretty good in HD w/ 3D, the issue would be WHAT games to compile.... my dream set would be two separate releases that each include a persona, devil summoner, digital devil saga and one could also have Nocturne.

I love HD collections but hate double dipping on games. If I owned all the games in a collection I'd probably sell them and wait for a good sale to minimize my losses. I would probably never trade them in though. Trade in prices tend to favor very new games so trading in previous generation games is a definite no-no.

I want Silent Hill series, Kingdom Hearts series, Jak/Daxter series, and Ratchet Clank series. I never got too far in any of the mentioned series, maybe played the first one, never finished it. I'm fine with HD collections of older games, gives people like me who missed out on the older titles or for those who don't own previous generation consoles anymore.

Give me the first three Splinter Cell games. SC-Chaos Theory craps all over just about anything else stealth-based.

Other games I would love HD versions of:

Okami
DMC and DMC3
Zone of the Enders 2
Metal Gear Solid (specifically Snake Eater)
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Burnout 3: Takedown
GTA (specifically San Andreas)

[quote name='Halo05']Give me the first three Splinter Cell games. SC-Chaos Theory craps all over just about anything else stealth-based.[/QUOTE]

1. Splinter Cell
  2. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  3. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  4. Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  5. Splinter Cell: Conviction

:dunce:

Maniac Mansion
River City Ransom
Hit The Ice
Any of the games from the Rushing Beat trilogy
Chrono Trigger
Strider
Act Raiser
Out of this World/Flashback

Collections do make me feel bad sometimes. Example, i bought the three PoP games in 2009 for the PS2, still yet to play them. Now with the collection... I want to just buy that and play them instead. I also played all 4 MGS for the first time last year, but due to having played them, I don't feel bad about buying a collection. Currently, what games I've not played but own which have been rendered obsolete:

Sly Cooper 1 (well, I played half way through it back in like... 2002, it was one of my first ps2 games)
Beyond Good & Evil (was about to start my playthrough when the HD version was announced)
Prince of Persia 1-3

Thinking about just playing BG&E PS2 and not worry about the HD version. But I'm definitely just gonna forget about my PS2 copies of PoP and buy the collection.

Depending on whether the HD Collection of the Splinter Cell games is made from the PS2 versions or the superior Xbox/PC versions, I may need to get a PS3 again. :D

[quote name='Ed_']
  1. Splinter Cell
  2. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  3. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  4. Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  5. Splinter Cell: Conviction

:dunce:[/QUOTE]

You stupid fuck, I implied that the only ones I want are the first three. Yes, Chaos Theory is the third one. Neither Double Agent or Conviction are nearly as worthwhile.

[quote name='Halo05']You stupid fuck, I implied that the only ones I want are the first three. Yes, Chaos Theory is the third one. Neither Double Agent or Conviction are nearly as worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I thought for a second that I was missing whatever fucking point he was trying to make, then I realized he was just a dummy.

[quote name='dabamus']Depending on whether the HD Collection of the Splinter Cell games is made from the PS2 versions or the superior Xbox/PC versions, I may need to get a PS3 again. :D[/QUOTE]

Anyone who's played the PoP games via PSN could answer this.

There's alot of ppl that missed games so this is a good thing and if the collections generate greatest hits status like GOW it will entice developers to re-focus on series that have been forgotten. Part if me doesn't like that BC was removed but trilogies in HD on 1 disc still is good.

I'd like to see HD collections I've not mentioned in other threads:
Multiplatform: Timesplitters/Second Sight
Xbox exclusive: MechAssault -missed out on the sequel and kind of surprised that there hasn't been newer version. Blinx series.
PS3 exclusive: The first 2 Katamari games that were on PS2 or at least see more PSone games given the treatment like Intelligent Cube or Einhander.

I like all these HD remakes. Honestly, I don't see any problem with them as I missed a lot of these titles from the PS2 era such as the GOW games, the Sly games, the Splinter Cell games and I'll probably even get the Tomb Raider Trilogy at some point when it drops low enough.

I was really glad I got to play through GOW 1 and 2 in HD before I move on to GOW3. I also snagged the Sly Collection at K-Mart shortly after Christmas for only $19.99, so I consider that a steal since I haven't played any of them.

While GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas would make a cool trilogy, I'm not sure I'd have the time to beat all 3 of those again. I would surely bite on a MGS trilogy though as I never finished Snake Eater...

The $40 release price for these isn't awful, but I still always wait until they drop closer to $20. I mean, in the end, these are all old games, no use overpaying if I've already gone this long without playing them...

I guess I'm not totally opposed, since they're cool if you don't own the games, but I really want backwards compatibility.

God of War 2 looks GREAT in the collection though. They seem to be using higher resolution art assets than the original game did (GoW 1 doesn't, so basically looks like it would on PS2 with a solid scaler in your TV). Ironically GoW 2 runs at (and looks like it runs at) a higher resolution than basically any current gen games do!

I love collections of games though. I wish there were more of them. Like that Sega Dreamcast collection is only coming to Xbox I guess. I hope they do more of those. I wish they had more Genesis collections, etc. I like rereleases of games!

Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
GTA
Dark Cloud
Zone of the Enders (Never played them)

Take this with a grain of salt, but there's a quote from an unnamed Sony rep that says:

‘The industry’s best developers are ReMastering their best games. Prince of Persia, Shadow of Colossus, and ICO are just the beginning. When fans see what Konami’s doing to the Metal Gear series, and what Square’s doing with Final Fantasy, they’re going to be very happy.’

I'm not going to get my hopes up unless there's an official announcement, but I wish it's true. Although, when E3's approaching, I'm sure my hopes will go sky high in anticipation of any possible announcements :)

I don't really care for older ps2 games anymore, seeing that most of them are already extremely outdated (whether its graphics/controls/gameplay) and I despise jrpgs now. That being said, the only jrpg I'd play nowadays would be an HD dark cloud collection to release near DC3. If only level 5 would stop making crummy Layton games or the AWFUL white knight games and get on DC3

[quote name='pixi']Jak & Daxter please!

Namely for the first one[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd be getting it just for the first one (although I guess I'd dable with the later ones again).

The thought's occured to me that if they ported over Final Fantasy 10 and 10 2, I think I could just get rid of my Playstation 2s....maybe I'm forgetting something else, but I basically need FF10 and Resident Evil 4. Shadow of Destiny I could buy for my PSP, and then...well I don't actually own all that many PS2 games...I actually own way more PSP and PS3 games, it turns out! (Didn't really realize that until last night when I was looking at my collections.)

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']I don't really care for older ps2 games anymore, seeing that most of them are already extremely outdated (whether its graphics/controls/gameplay) and I despise jrpgs now. That being said, the only jrpg I'd play nowadays would be an HD dark cloud collection to release near DC3. If only level 5 would stop making crummy Layton games or the AWFUL white knight games and get on DC3[/QUOTE]

:shock:
I don't even know how to respond to this blasphemy...

So the Prince of Persia collection is coming out in the US now??
Guess I didn't have to import it after all. :S

I'd love to see a Fatal Frame Collection too!

Oh wait, I wouldn't mind Kingdom Hearts 2, and I need MGS 2 also...I guess there's some more I'm forgetting.

Yeah, I think these "I don't care about X because of the graphics!" things are annoying at best.

[quote name='Gameboy415']:shock:
I don't even know how to respond to this blasphemy...

I'd love to see a Fatal Frame Collection too![/QUOTE]

Well the outdated part is true. Every 3rd person action/adventure game is outdated because of what Gears of War did for the controls, except for god of war since A) they kept the basic controls for 3 and B) it was already pretty future-proof.

I dunno what else there is to play on ps2 other than jrpgs, and if you like them that's a whole different problem. Also, reports are that the PoP collection is not worth it. The games don't look any better, and in some cases it actually runs WORSE than the originals. It's a pure case of Ubi cashing in.

The more I read about the Tomb Raider collection, the less excited I am for it. :\ No DLC for Underworld, no extra costumes/mansion room from the PSP/Wii version of Anniversary, and uncertainty about whether the remastering will even look any better than the 360 versions of the games. It's quickly going from a no-brainer purchase to a wait-for-reviews ordeal.

[quote name='Gameboy415']:shock:

I'd love to see a Fatal Frame Collection too![/QUOTE]

PoP collection, Amazon has the March 22, 2011 date:
http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Persia..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1297710072&sr=8-1

CAN'T WAIT! I'm not going to play Fatal Frame, it's too spooky for me... Maybe with all of the lights on, lol.

I love HD collections. I missed out on a lot of the last gen. I had a PS2, but focused on sports games. I think the only platformer I completed was the original Jak. Additionally, within the last few years I have been playing exclusively on PC. [Mostly MMO and RTS, I did play a lot of CS 1.6 in High School as well]

For Christmas this year, I got a PS3. I don't know why I have been depriving myself of these games for so long. I knocked out Uncharted 1 & 2 to start, and just started the GOW triology. I am towards the end of GOW I right now.

These HD collections give gamers that missed out the first time around a chance to experience some of the great titles of the last decade.

I love the HD collections especially if the games were only on PS2. I'm glad I didn't hold on to any of the popular/GH titles from last generation.

As soon as I saw that MS was stalling on BC, the writing was on the wall for this generation. BC is great but doesn't make Sony, Microsoft, or the developers any extra cash.

As for collections I'd like to see:

Atlus RPGs (Persona and DDS)
Burnout
Fatal Frame
Jak & Daxter
NIS SRPGS (La Pucelle, Makai, and Phantom Brave)
Ratchet & Clank
Silent Hill

bread's done
Back