HD collections - discussion and speculation

I'm really interested in the Team Ico collection coming this year, though I'm not sure if I will get it. I already have Shadow of the Colossus and a working PS2, but I don't have Ico.

I want to see how they look before I make a decision. If nothing else it's like buying Ico, which if I found a copy would cost roughly the same price.

Meh. I'd rather if Sony actually released a BC patch for PS3 and let me play my old game discs in my PS3 with the game saves I have archived on an internal memory card already instead of milking these older games for all they're worth with HD re-releases.

Besides which, I still don't care about HD and if game devs actually started making an SD and HD version on each game disc released I'd still be playing on my old 20" SDtv.

[quote name='Blank Earth']The more I read about the Tomb Raider collection, the less excited I am for it. :\ No DLC for Underworld, no extra costumes/mansion room from the PSP/Wii version of Anniversary, and uncertainty about whether the remastering will even look any better than the 360 versions of the games. It's quickly going from a no-brainer purchase to a wait-for-reviews ordeal.[/QUOTE]

I knew about the Underworld DLC since that was made exclusively for the 360 but that sucks about the lack of extras from Anniversary. I'm starting to feel the same as you.

It sounds like we'll be paying for barebones ports of each game in HD... I couldn't give two shits about Home costumes. I wish they would throw something for the PS2 ports... a new level or a few new weapons/costumes. And the fact that they still haven't shown a single screen makes be think that Anniversary/Legend probably don't look as good as they made it out to be.

[quote name='Vinny']I knew about the Underworld DLC since that was made exclusively for the 360 but that sucks about the lack of extras from Anniversary. I'm starting to feel the same as you.

It sounds like we'll be paying for barebones ports of each game in HD... I couldn't give two shits about Home costumes. I wish they would throw something for the PS2 ports... a new level or a few new weapons/costumes. And the fact that they still haven't shown a single screen makes be think that Anniversary/Legend probably don't look as good as they made it out to be.[/QUOTE]Looks like anyone who already has the 360 versions of Anniversary, Legend and Underworld doesn't need to look at this one, due to the missing extras.

I would like to see all the Kain games, but it's wishful thinking to get 5 games on one comp, but I would pay a full 60 for it

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Since I never played the last one I would be happy with the first 4.

I would like to see get the HD upgrade:
MechAssault series (What happened to this series/the Battletech games? How come there hasn't been any new ones in the series of MechAssault?)

Panzar Dragoon series
Psychonauts

Hmm...I hate the TR1 remake and Underworld, but Legends was my favorite game of '06. But I already own two copies :lol:

I doubt they'll make it look any better than the PC/Xbox version, but if they did...

I would, but I already own Underworld unless the one in the HD Trilogy lists a separate trophy list.

I want Ace Combat, Syphon Filter, Fatal Frame, & Xenosaga to be made into collections.

What really amazes me is how good Legend looks on the Playstation *2*

I had, but idiotically sold Legend for the Xbox 360. Own it for PS2 and PC though...but even still I might buy ANOTHER copy :lol:

I hated the TR1 remake, and hated Underworld even more. I can't believe that's supposed to be the sequel to the awesome Legend. Story wise it's just bizarre. The gameplay is too hard and half broken. Geez, they start you out in an awful water level, then an awful temple...

I was so excited by Legend 2...but Underworld ain't it. So I'd be buying this entirely for another version of Legend.

So have there been anymore HD collection announcements I've missed?

PoP, Splinter Cell, and ICO are still coming but haven't heard of anything else after.

Yes, and no. No new disc-based collections have been announced, but Capcom did announce that they'll be releasing Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Resident Evil 4 as individual HD remasters on PSN and XBLA. There was a tiny rumor about Konami doing a MGS collection a few months back, but nothing more of that. I'm shocked that more publishers aren't jumping on this, it's practically free money.

^So no disc version of RE:CV or RE 4 in HD?

I want more of these HD ports and hope to some day get:
ICO/Shadow of the Colossus
Sly Cooper collection
God of War collection
Tomb Raider collection
Prince of Persia collection

I would like to see these as HD collections/series:
Fatal Frame series
Shadow Hearts series
Kingdom Hearts series
Silent Hill series

It's not impossible they could release them on disc somewhere down the line, but at current they're download only releases, just like Beyond Good & Evil HD.

I'm waiting on a lot of these HD collections, but two that I really want, that are a little off the radar of the gaming press, are

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (I got it on the Wii and didn't finish it, I really want an HD version).
Beyond Good and Evil HD remake.
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD remake

I second the Muramasa one, but I would hope that it also included Odin Sphere and maybe GrimGrimoire.

I think the downside to those is that like the SF HD remakes their native versions consist of large amounts of hand-drawn art so making them HD would essentially involve redrawing the game.

I know this won't happen unless SQENIX is on the edge of bankruptcy, but I want Final Fantasy HD Collections.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So have there been anymore HD collection announcements I've missed?

PoP, Splinter Cell, and ICO are still coming but haven't heard of anything else after.[/QUOTE]

GOW origins coll(COO & GOS) PS3, team Ico will be released this sept. MGS(MGS2/MGS3/MGS PW), Zone of the Enders & silent hill coll are incoming too. Once there's 6-10 of these on the market expect sales that mirror GH deals B2G1 free all GH and/PS HD Coll...if you can wait that long. Already have tomb raider & sly, PoP hasn't hit my price yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be picking up the Ico/Sotc bundle since I still haven't played those games.

Okami and Muramasa are on top of my wishlist.

Huh...I haven't played Ghost of Sparta yet, but so far my order for the God of War games goes:

God of War III > Chains of Olympus > II > I (by far the worst).

I'm liking this idea of HD Collections. Since all I used to use my PS2 for was Madden and GTA. And then it broke, so I get a chance to play some games I missed out on.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I missed the press conference today, were any HD Collections announced?[/QUOTE]
Just the GoW PSP collection. They didn't even mention the MGS or Silent Hill ones.

[quote name='Jodou']Just the GoW PSP collection. They didn't even mention the MGS or Silent Hill ones.[/QUOTE]

Probably because Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will show that they lost exclusive for Peace Walker and Snake Eater. Or maybe because those are third party collections so they do not really care to announce them.

Guess this thread is as good as any since the advanced search function is dogshit. The ICO collection will also include TWO dynamic themes; one for each game. I just found my permanent theme when this hits in September.

I would love to see the Medal of Honor series in HD. I spent countless hours playing the first one. Great memories!!.....Also in for a Jak and Daxter if it were to become available. I never played the Sly games when they first came out, but I recently played the Sly Collection and enjoyed all 3 of the games.

I can't believe the review from GT for ICO/SotC. They slam the controls in ICO and SotC saying they suffer due to preservation of the original experience. Am I the only one who applauds conservation? Silent Hill is already under fire for the VA swap (granted that's for legal reasons) and god knows we don't need more George Lucas' in the world. If FFVII ever got a remake or any of them in an HD collection, I would fully expect them to be unchanged outside of presentation.

I think reviewers need to stop looking at these as game reviews and more at how well done was the HD transition. Take a page from BluRay.com and only measure the success of faithfully bridging the source to HD, nothing more. Also lol at the 6.8 they gave to gameplay for this collection. I think that's the last time I visit gametrailers.

[quote name='Jodou']I can't believe the review from GT for ICO/SotC. They slam the controls in ICO and SotC saying they suffer due to preservation of the original experience. Am I the only one who applauds conservation? Silent Hill is already under fire for the VA swap (granted that's for legal reasons) and god knows we don't need more George Lucas' in the world. If FFVII ever got a remake or any of them in an HD collection, I would fully expect them to be unchanged outside of presentation.

I think reviewers need to stop looking at these as game reviews and more at how well done was the HD transition. Take a page from BluRay.com and only measure the success of faithfully bridging the source to HD, nothing more. Also lol at the 6.8 they gave to gameplay for this collection. I think that's the last time I visit gametrailers.[/QUOTE]

Other than the gameplay comment i thought they were very nice to the games and applauded them for the story telling without even having cut scenes. I however do agree that complaining about the control is strange since these are only conversions to HD with added extras on one dics, NOT a reimagining or retelling, so they shouldnt expect new gameplay elements or "fixed" controls.

[quote name='Gatorsfan35']I would love to see the Medal of Honor series in HD. I spent countless hours playing the first one. Great memories!!.....Also in for a Jak and Daxter if it were to become available. I never played the Sly games when they first came out, but I recently played the Sly Collection and enjoyed all 3 of the games.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably go for a remake of the first one, but I don't care if they've just bumped up the resolution. The game's visuals haven't aged as well as I'd thought (particularly the characters) although.

Regarding reviews-hey, if the critic has problems with an issue of the games, that's fair game, whether it's a rerelease with the resolution bumped up or not. They're presumably reviewing the game, not reviewing the resolution.

I'm paying $30 for it...why do you say it's not worth money? I never got to play it since I don't own a PSP, and I want to own every GoW game.

geh, they're just 4-5 hour psp games. good for a bus ride but it's really just watered down GoW.

i suppose if you're a big fan, but for me GoW is you play one you've played em all.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i suppose if you're a big fan, but for me GoW is you play one you've played em all.[/QUOTE]
Same problem with the Halo franchise. Good thing they're not making an HD. . oh wait. . .

Word has it that the Splinter Cell HD versions don't allow you to invent the vertical controls. Lazy and inexcusable. They won't get a cent from me until it gets fixed, my brain doesn't work with normal vertical controls and I'm not going to force a change for 3 old games (even though Chaos Theory is amazing).

I really wish they would make an Ultimate GTA Collection and include GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, and Vice City Stories.

[quote name='blindinglights']I really wish they would make an Ultimate GTA Collection and include GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, and Vice City Stories.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing. HD visuals and trophy support would be awesome. Wonder if they can all fit on one blu ray? Maybe 2?

They should all fit. If the largest DVD is almost 9GB and a dual layer blu-ray is 50GB, there's no reason they shouldn't. Especially since I doubt most of the GTA games even came close to filling up the disc.

[quote name='Jodou']Guess this thread is as good as any since the advanced search function is dogshit. The ICO collection will also include TWO dynamic themes; one for each game. I just found my permanent theme when this hits in September.[/QUOTE]

Qore has a "free" ICO collection theme if you're a PS+ subscriber.

Might redeem my PS+ card now, since RE4 will also be 50% off for PS+ later in the month.

bread's done
Back